TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 Over MSRP

rootdoc

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long do you think the GT500s will sell for over MSRP?

I'm in a small town and the Ford dealer here only gets 1 GT500 a year.

I was to scared to ask when I put my deposit down, but

everyone that knows the owners here say, I'll just pay MSRP.

Won't find out for sure until you can order a 2008.

I think it's more the big cities that are gouging.

They can be found for MSRP now if you look hard enough. When the 2008 order banks open, I think it will be much easier to find one at MSRP or less.

robin I have looked pretty darn hard, can't find one even remotely close to sticker, Robin, where do you suggest?

I am in a fairly small town, our local dealer get's 3 per year.......they are still asking 20k over msrp through 2009. Which really sucks, i would buy one in a heartbeat at a dealership for msrp.

I'm in ohio and most dealers her are at 10k over msrp.the dealers that i found at 20k over are selling ones they bought on E-Bay.Ordered my 2007 Shelby last week at 10k over at mullinax ford.Since then i have had 2 other dealers that i went to call me they where at 10k over.Seems the price in my area

One dealer on Long Island wants $69 for an '07 vert. He's out of his mind - looking in PA and finding coupes (which is what I'm looking for) in the low $50s.

The other dealer on LI I spoke to said he can't get any '07s, but I'm on top of his list for the '08s, and I just got a phone call that he's getting two in. We're going to talk about the price on Tuesday. I'm hoping there isn't the same rush to mark up the '08s - either way, I'll report back.

Theres a bunch on EBay the past few days, more than have been on in awhile. Still appear to be getting 10K over, other than Spitzerhart, he doesn't sell any. His " reserves " are over 60K . I would think that as soon as the 08s are on the board the 07s HAVE to come down!

Sorry, but NC is all that I want to say. I hope to get one of these myself if I can find a buyer for my 1968 Mustang fastback (J-code 302 4v, ps, db in case anyone here wants a good NC car...) in the next couple of weeks.

My dad is looking for 68 fastback. Can you email me some info on the car please? email address is: bmnbayes@verizon.net. I purchased a GT500 in March. I hope you can get one. Awesome is all I can say.

HOW TO BUY A 07' SHELBY GT500:

If you really want a GT500 and get a good deal then you have to shop and work hard. I must have contacted 70, or more Ford dealers all over the country? I got on lists to purchase with a lot of them and gave some dealers deposits. It literally took two years of searching, calling, visiting dealers and working the dysfunctional miss-informed system. Finally I got a call back from a dealer in another state and was able to buy in the $40K's, but this is the exception.

The GT500's are limited production, it is advertised as a rare collectors Shelby and it has 500 horsepower. How many new 500 horsepower cars in production with a factory warranty sell for less than $60K? Try none. I believe the GT500's will continue to be high in demand so they will be hard to come by.

I estimated from a sampling I took of about (80) sales on eBay that only 20% of them sold and got the reserve price. But that doesn't mean the dealers advertising don't get a walk in sale either. In my state I don't have to pay sales tax on a car that has been previously registered. There was an 07' Shelby GT500 that sold on eBay through a private owner in Texas that had already registered it. No sales tax is a big savings. I could have had that one in the low $50k's without tax, but I got a better deal on the dealership order and didn't have to go quite as far as Texas.

Had to get an auto transporter for the out of state delivery. I asked all four Ford dealerships in my area if I could pay them for a Ford Courtesy Drop Ship for my order. They all refused except one who wanted $700, but I could private party transport it for less than that.

You have to be prepared to pay $60K+ with markup, doc fees, tax and license. Unless you find the rare good deal like I did. Oh and don't forget insurance cost$.

Theres a bunch on EBay the past few days, more than have been on in awhile. Still appear to be getting 10K over, other than Spitzerhart, he doesn't sell any. His " reserves " are over 60K . I would think that as soon as the 08s are on the board the 07s HAVE to come down!

Being this late in the '07 production season, do you think dealers will reduce the amount asked over MSRP?

Being this late in the '07 production season, do you think dealers will reduce the amount asked over MSRP?

Possibly the ones asking $20K + over might reduce their price some.

There were only 668 GT500's left as of 4/20/07 in the entire country with only 6 - 7 weeks of production left. Based on those small numbers I doubt you will see these coming down much. Out of those 668 units some are still waiting to be delivered to the dealer, some in stock and some are sold where buyers have been waiting to get their car. So that "might" leave approx. 400 or so that would be available. With 4,000 Ford dealers in the country that doesn't leave many dealers out there that have one to sell and a lot of those that do show they one have several which really limits the number of dealers out there that even have one to sell.

Also, a lot of the 08's have been presold already. So you may never see these come down much. In fact, I predict the ADM will go up higher as they get near the end of the 08 production simply because the few left will be the last of these to be had. They won't be building any more after that. Unless Ford decided to build this again for 09 which so far Ford and SVT keeps saying no. 08 is it! But that doesn't mean they wouldn't change their mind again.

So it is very possible that those who hold out until the end may never get one or may have to pay the biggest premiums to date just to get one of the last remaining ones left.

But all and all, anything I or you or anyone else says about all this is just pure speculation as to what will really happen. No one will know until the end is near and these have been completely built out. Only time will tell for sure.

There were only 668 GT500's left as of 4/20/07 in the entire country with only 6 - 7 weeks of production left. Based on those small numbers I doubt you will see these coming down much. Out of those 668 units some are still waiting to be delivered to the dealer, some in stock and some are sold where buyers have been waiting to get their car. So that "might" leave approx. 400 or so that would be available. With 4,000 Ford dealers in the country that doesn't leave many dealers out there that have one to sell and a lot of those that do show they one have several which really limits the number of dealers out there that even have one to sell.

Also, a lot of the 08's have been presold already. So you may never see these come down much. In fact, I predict the ADM will go up higher as they get near the end of the 08 production simply because the few left will be the last of these to be had. They won't be building any more after that. Unless Ford decided to build this again for 09 which so far Ford and SVT keeps saying no. 08 is it! But that doesn't mean they wouldn't change their mind again.

So it is very possible that those who hold out until the end may never get one or may have to pay the biggest premiums to date just to get one of the last remaining ones left.

But all and all, anything I or you or anyone else says about all this is just pure speculation as to what will really happen. No one will know until the end is near and these have been completely built out. Only time will tell for sure.

well written, i agee with you 100%. anyone is just guessing right now. we are a small dealer and only recieved allocation for one GT500. the car came in and was sold for 15k over. it got so much attention is this small town we went out and bought another car and paid 10K over sticker and gave up 3 08 f250s. we sold that car the other day on ebay. so we thought we were done for the 07s, but our zone mgr called and told us we have another allocation. ford is in the last month of production on the GT500. so we ordered the red striped shelby, i think this car is going to be very rare. but i put it in another post that this car might go cold as ice. and thats the part i agree with you on, NO ONE knows what the market is going to do.

LOL i said all that just to agree with you. man im long winded

michael

Thanks,

I appriciate your candid answer.

well written, i agee with you 100%. anyone is just guessing right now. we are a small dealer and only recieved allocation for one GT500. the car came in and was sold for 15k over. it got so much attention is this small town we went out and bought another car and paid 10K over sticker and gave up 3 08 f250s. we sold that car the other day on ebay. so we thought we were done for the 07s, but our zone mgr called and told us we have another allocation. ford is in the last month of production on the GT500. so we ordered the red striped shelby, i think this car is going to be very rare. but i put it in another post that this car might go cold as ice. and thats the part i agree with you on, NO ONE knows what the market is going to do.

LOL i said all that just to agree with you. man im long winded

michael

Did you order the Black or the White with red stripe package?

I think that black looks awesome! I would also think that car would bring top dollar since it will be a rare combo.

What region are you in?

I have been hearing of dealers getting calls from their Ford reps and being offered an extra allocation for a 07. But I haven't heard of any in our region getting them. When I asked our rep she said no one was getting any and if any were available they would go to president award winners.

Personally I think since Ford asked all the dealers to NOT get carried away with adding huge ADM's on this car that Ford should offer any extra allocation to those dealers that did sell their Shelbys for MSRP or within $5k over!

Did you order the Black or the White with red stripe package?

I think that black looks awesome! I would also think that car would bring top dollar since it will be a rare combo.

What region are you in?

I have been hearing of dealers getting calls from their Ford reps and being offered an extra allocation for a 07. But I haven't heard of any in our region getting them. When I asked our rep she said no one was getting any and if any were available they would go to president award winners.

Personally I think since Ford asked all the dealers to NOT get carried away with adding huge ADM's on this car that Ford should offer any extra allocation to those dealers that did sell their Shelbys for MSRP or within $5k over!

I LOVE WHITE, but the black looks so good i had to order the black. im in the atlanta region. we sold our first car real fast and that might have helped us alittle, but we also put in a differnet zone, went from the small store in the zone to a big store in the zone. we had called the other day and asked if there were any GT500s left. she said that she had no control over them. she has been out of town so i havent had a chance to ask her if she helped us.

let me know if i can help you

michael

Michael,

As a dealer have you been told by Ford to watch the ADM on the GT 500's, or is Ford's position, sell them for whatever they will bring..........

most of the time Ford doesnt get involved for what we sale them for, except when it come to a,x,z, or d plans. the plans have to be sold for the EXACT price. you miss that price buy a dollar and they charge you back if they audit. now we have only had 2. one came from the factory and we bought the second from another dealer for 10k over sticker, thats right 10k over sticker. we have just recieved allocation for the 3rd GT 500.

ford doesnt say to not sale a unit below sticker, they shoudnt say not to sale one about sticker

thanks for the question

michael

Michael,

As a dealer have you been told by Ford to watch the ADM on the GT 500's, or is Ford's position, sell them for whatever they will bring..........

I do not know of any specific dealers being told by Ford about adding huge ADM's, BUT, Ford DID announce to ALL dealers that they would like for them to NOT get carried away with marking these up. Ford said they priced this car to be affordable for the masses and that they also wanted dealers to prevent creating bad customer relations with the public by adding huge ADM's. But at the end of the day Ford has no control over what dealers charge and cannot prevent dealers from charging higher prices. So any dealers that tuned in to watch that broadcast from Ford knows this.

On the other hand, if Ford was so concerned about all this then maybe Ford shouldn't rob the dealers from any mark-up on all their other models. For example, a $17k car with $800 potential mark-up is a joke! Your State collects more than that in just sales tax! What other type of products can you buy on the market where the State sales tax is a lot more than the gross profit that the business makes on the sale of their products???

Is it unreasonable for a dealer to be able to at least make 10% gross profit on a high dollar item like a new vehicle???

Heck, there are a lot of businesses that make 100% - 300% mark-up on their products, yet dealers are suppose to sell everything at cost or below cost. Or settle for a $100 profit on an average $28k vehicle. What is wrong with this picture?

Perhaps if dealers were able to make a "fair" profit on the sale of all their vehicles then they wouldn't have to add huge ADM's on that one RARE hot item that comes along once every x number of years to help pay for all the losses they have on the average vehicle they sell.

I personally think the manufacturers should all go to one price selling where the dealer is paid 10% from the manufacturer on every vehicle they sell. Do away with any negotiating and price under cutting. The price is the price and the dealer can't take a penny less or charge a penny more!

What other business to you go into and negotiate prices on??? Do what until the clerk rings up all your groceries and then stand there and negotiate the total price? Do you fill your gas tank and then negotiate the price they charge?

Whatever type of business that YOU are in or work for, does YOUR company sit there for hours with their customers and negitiate price and/or cost of services from what they charge????

This would also do away with all the mind games where dealers play games on the trade in. The more you pay for the vehicle you are buying the more they SHOW you for the trade. The less you pay for the vehicle the less they SHOW you for the trade. Yet most consumers like those games. They actually think they end up with a better deal!

You want to find out if a dealer is really giving you what they SHOW for your trade or not? Tell them you like the trade value but you don't want to buy the car they have. So just cut you check for the trade value and you will sell them your car!!! Then watch and listen to all the excuses! If they are actually showing you what they really appraised your car for then they would write you a check for it, period! That is the difference from a dealer that shows you "actual cash value" VS a dealer that is just SHOWING you an "inflated" value to make you "think" you are getting more for your trade.

Going to a one price system would eliminate all that crap!

I do not know of any specific dealers being told by Ford about adding huge ADM's, BUT, Ford DID announce to ALL dealers that they would like for them to NOT get carried away with marking these up. Ford said they priced this car to be affordable for the masses and that they also wanted dealers to prevent creating bad customer relations with the public by adding huge ADM's. But at the end of the day Ford has no control over what dealers charge and cannot prevent dealers from charging higher prices. So any dealers that tuned in to watch that broadcast from Ford knows this.

On the other hand, if Ford was so concerned about all this then maybe Ford shouldn't rob the dealers from any mark-up on all their other models. For example, a $17k car with $800 potential mark-up is a joke! Your State collects more than that in just sales tax! What other type of products can you buy on the market where the State sales tax is a lot more than the gross profit that the business makes on the sale of their products???

Is it unreasonable for a dealer to be able to at least make 10% gross profit on a high dollar item like a new vehicle???

Heck, there are a lot of businesses that make 100% - 300% mark-up on their products, yet dealers are suppose to sell everything at cost or below cost. Or settle for a $100 profit on an average $28k vehicle. What is wrong with this picture?

Perhaps if dealers were able to make a "fair" profit on the sale of all their vehicles then they wouldn't have to add huge ADM's on that one RARE hot item that comes along once every x number of years to help pay for all the losses they have on the average vehicle they sell.

I personally think the manufacturers should all go to one price selling where the dealer is paid 10% from the manufacturer on every vehicle they sell. Do away with any negotiating and price under cutting. The price is the price and the dealer can't take a penny less or charge a penny more!

What other business to you go into and negotiate prices on??? Do what until the clerk rings up all your groceries and then stand there and negotiate the total price? Do you fill your gas tank and then negotiate the price they charge?

Whatever type of business that YOU are in or work for, does YOUR company sit there for hours with their customers and negitiate price and/or cost of services from what they charge????

This would also do away with all the mind games where dealers play games on the trade in. The more you pay for the vehicle you are buying the more they SHOW you for the trade. The less you pay for the vehicle the less they SHOW you for the trade. Yet most consumers like those games. They actually think they end up with a better deal!

You want to find out if a dealer is really giving you what they SHOW for your trade or not? Tell them you like the trade value but you don't want to buy the car they have. So just cut you check for the trade value and you will sell them your car!!! Then watch and listen to all the excuses! If they are actually showing you what they really appraised your car for then they would write you a check for it, period! That is the difference from a dealer that shows you "actual cash value" VS a dealer that is just SHOWING you an "inflated" value to make you "think" you are getting more for your trade.

10 years ago or so we went to the one price best price deal. most folks really liked it, one of the best profit years we every had. so i have always like the one price thing. you still have customers that want to neg.

if the system is worked correctly it is good for both the dealers and customers.

but we did not one price HOT items, not that we had many HOT items 10 years ago, but like someone else said the consumer sets the price NOT the dealer.

a new focus sold at sticker is what 300-400 mark up. that was ford idea last year cut the sticker to a more realistic selling price and not neg price as much. all it did was take away how much you could get bought on someone who was upside down

im now getting off my soap box

michael

Shelbydude, I’m in the hamburger business. I guarantee you, if you wanted to buy $17,000 in burgers, I’d negotiate with you. And if you wanted $28,000 worth, I’d cut you a better deal. Auto dealers are notoriously shady, “would you buy a used car from that guy?” The games they play with trade-ins are an excellent example why dealers are not trusted, and most dealers do exactly as you described.

The fact is, I buy some stuff at WalMart when I could buy the same stuff at Dillard’s for about 10% more. Sometimes I choose to spend the extra money, but that’s my choice. I have the option to go to another retail establishment to get the exact same stuff at a different price. With price fixing, I don’t have an option. We have some dealers in our area that put a sticker on the window and that’s what they sell the vehicle for. I have always been able to negotiate a better price from another dealer that negotiates. All things being equal, it is the exact same vehicle.

I paid ADM for my Shelby, principally after reading your post about running out of time for a new 07 on another forum. I had been looking for over six months, but was not willing to pay ADM (above 10). I believe history will prove your right in your analysis. I also believe there will be many sitting on the sidelines that wanted a new 07 and they will never own one. They may be able to pick up a used 07 at a more reasonable price, or not, but the fact will always remain that they will never have a 07 Shelby where they were the only registered owner, period. If you want one, most likely you are going to have to pay ADM (around 10 deals still to be had). For those who say a dealer doesn’t have any integrity because they charge ADM, they are way out of bounds. I wonder if they would use the same logic if someone wanted to buy their house for more than the appraised value??? Oh, I forgot, that’s different. Nobody likes ADM, but on this issue, I’m with the dealers. I believe in capitalism and free market forces. Great car guys, don’t get caught short, you will regret it.

Shelbydude, I’m in the hamburger business. I guarantee you, if you wanted to buy $17,000 in burgers, I’d negotiate with you. And if you wanted $28,000 worth, I’d cut you a better deal. Auto dealers are notoriously shady, “would you buy a used car from that guy?” The games they play with trade-ins are an excellent example why dealers are not trusted, and most dealers do exactly as you described.

The fact is, I buy some stuff at WalMart when I could buy the same stuff at Dillard’s for about 10% more. Sometimes I choose to spend the extra money, but that’s my choice. I have the option to go to another retail establishment to get the exact same stuff at a different price. With price fixing, I don’t have an option. We have some dealers in our area that put a sticker on the window and that’s what they sell the vehicle for. I have always been able to negotiate a better price from another dealer that negotiates. All things being equal, it is the exact same vehicle.

I paid ADM for my Shelby, principally after reading your post about running out of time for a new 07 on another forum. I had been looking for over six months, but was not willing to pay ADM (above 10). I believe history will prove your right in your analysis. I also believe there will be many sitting on the sidelines that wanted a new 07 and they will never own one. They may be able to pick up a used 07 at a more reasonable price, or not, but the fact will always remain that they will never have a 07 Shelby where they were the only registered owner, period. If you want one, most likely you are going to have to pay ADM (around 10 deals still to be had). For those who say a dealer doesn’t have any integrity because they charge ADM, they are way out of bounds. I wonder if they would use the same logic if someone wanted to buy their house for more than the appraised value??? Oh, I forgot, that’s different. Nobody likes ADM, but on this issue, I’m with the dealers. I believe in capitalism and free market forces. Great car guys, don’t get caught short, you will regret it.

consumers make the price not the dealers. if you search you will see me and mattchicago had this same discussion. everyone wants one at MSRP when they bring 10k over, but NO one pays MSRP on a f150 supercab. the S is MSRP is suggested.

look up the other posts, we had some good posts.

michael

Some of you feel the $20,000( 10 over and 10 used) you lose as soon as your drive your Shelby off the lot is worth being the first name on the car. I love the car but I'm a business man first and to me thats too much. Ford is correct, when they said, their pissing off customers selling them over MSRP, I would never buy another car from a dealer selling them over MSRP,( unless their buying from another dealer for a customer). When the Hot wears off watch out.

Some of you feel the $20,000( 10 over and 10 used) you lose as soon as your drive your Shelby off the lot is worth being the first name on the car. I love the car but I'm a business man first and to me thats too much. Ford is correct, when they said, their pissing off customers selling them over MSRP, I would never buy another car from a dealer selling them over MSRP,( unless their buying from another dealer for a customer). When the Hot wears off watch out.

USED ones are still bringing over MSRP,so losing 10k aint happening right now. i just dont understand why everyone gets all hung up with the over msrp thing. yall arent worried about the price, just worried that us scum dealers are making a profit on a car yall want. so if Ford decided for 08 that the sticker price is 75k and dealers cant mark them up yall are OK with that. even thought cost hasnt changed. MSRP shouldnt have anything to do with the arguement. as a buisness man you know about that thing called SUPPLY and DEMAND. no demand the car wont bring the big money. lets say this again consumers set the price on the GT500, not the dealers. i would love to sale everything on my lost for 10k over, but it aint going to happen. i have no idea what buisness your in, but if no one wants your product you have no business.

i just will never understand the msrp thing. capitalism is a GREAT thing, thats why your a business man

michael

Well lets just continue to beat this horse a little longer. I also believe in capitalism, but there is a difference between an honest profit and gouging a consumer. In the end all of the folks that paid 20K over retail will be PO'd over this. The Ford T-Bird did this the first year and then they ended up on the lots the last year and you couldn't give em away.

I had this same conversation with a local Ford dealer here in t-town on their white GT-500 red stripe package, I was interested, but believe I will just pass. Anyone can put a red stripe package on a GT 500, it's not that hard.....

We'll see this time next year when the 08's hit the streets and everyone, who wants one gets one. When the market reaches saturation, prices will drop. The best way to lower the price of GT 500s is not buy them or stop bitxxing, let the dealer pay floor plan interest for a few months and the price will drop.

Just my thoughts..................

Ford did not say to not sell these over MSRP. They said not to get carried away with adding HUGE mark-ups. There have been a lot of these that sold for $30k + over. That is huge! $10k isn't that bad.

I work in the business and I would have paid $10k over myself if I had to if that was what it took to get one!

This is the first new vehicle I ever paid over MSRP in my life! I have purchased over 20 new vehicles in my lifetime and never paid close to MSRP muchless over! In fact, the most I ever paid prior to this was $300 over invoice, minus any rebates! But I paid over on this one and this is the most expensive car I have purchased to date and I have no regrets about it. I'd do it again!

Now some my think this is just hype, but its not! I have NOTHING to gain by saying this. I don't have a GT500 available to offer anyone so I have no personal reason to just say this. I have no intention of selling my car so I don't really care what happens with the market on this car.

Archived