TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Second chance Shelby

bmnbayes

I'm new to the board today and also a new Shelby GT500 owner as of March-13th. I'm really stoked about being part of a group of great people as you all are on this board. I also can't say enough good things about the car. Put 1600 miles on it in 2 days and have a permanent smile on my face as a result. I also wanted to share a quick story about second chances. My dad (now 74) always told us the story of close encounter with a new Shelby on the dealer floor in Denver in 1967. Looking for a new car and with a wife and 3 kids he loaded us in an old clunker and off to the Ford/Mercury dealer in Denver we went. On the showroom floor was a new 1967 GT500. After a long look inside, outside and of course under the hood, he took a look at is family then the car and made his choice. It was a Mercury Comet Caliente with a hi-po 289. Well, he got a little performance and we all fit in the car. As you can imagine, the years went by and alot of cars came and went but never a Shelby. When I started driving, the old guy helped me with my first car. A 1967 fastback with a 289 and an automatic. Then a few years later came a 1968 GT fastback with a 390 with a 4-speed. Then later a 1969-Boss 302. The last world beater as a young man was a 1969 mach-1 with a transplanted 427 medium rise with factory dual quads and the big 4-speed. The old guy was there supporting me and helping me financially everytime but the Shelby's were always a little out of reach. I wish I had them all back knowing what I know now. Well fastforward many years, I told my dad that Shelby was coming out with a GT500 in 2007 and I would be taking a hard look at it. He reminded me again of when he had looked 40 years ago and wished he would have been a little irresponsible. A day later, my dad had a serious heart attack. He survived, but the reality of our precious time sent a strong message. So, I went out and bought the 07 GT500 (Vista Blue with White stripes). I needed to fly from So. Cal to Dallas to pick it up. I told my wife and son that the passenger seat on this trip was reserved for my dad. They totally understood. Although weakened by the heart attack, he gladly accepted. We waited an extra week for him to feel up to it and off we went. When we walked into the dealer showroom and they said here's your keys and theres your car, I think my dad was transported back in time for a moment. The experience to share that moment and the 2-day trip home with my dad in a new GT500 will be forever embedded in my mind. Yes, he drove the car for several hundred miles and although a little rusty with a clutch he did great. I'm taking him to Shelby Headquarters in LV in early April to see all the cool stuff being worked on and who knows, maybe he'll see something he has to have!!! Sorry for my short story being too long but I hope it helps make some new GT500 owners. If your looking at it, you won't be dissappointed and you certainly deserve it!! Good Luck.

That is a wonderful story and really made me think of my dad. Unfortunately he is no longer with us. You are truly fortunate that you had the opportunity to share that experience with him.

I will be taking delivery of my white with blue stripes GT500 this Fri. The only thing that would have made it better would be to have my dad as a copilot on the trip home

That is a wonderful story and really made me think of my dad. Unfortunately he is no longer with us. You are truly fortunate that you had the opportunity to share that experience with him.

I will be taking delivery of my white with blue stripes GT500 this Fri. The only thing that would have made it better would be to have my dad as a copilot on the trip home

Thanks for sharing that story with us "over200mph" Everyone has a similar story. This car is very special to most everyone who buys it.

There's no reason reutter you can't leave the passenger seat open. I'm not a very religious person, but I do believe if you ask your Dad to be there with you on Friday he will be. I did that the day I drove mine home last September for a very good friend who passed away, way before his time.

Thanks Guys, Now everyone is asking why I am crying at 9;20 in the morning....

My Old Man is gone since 99 ,.but he'll be with me that day............

Reminds me of a few years ago when the Red Sox won the world series. There were pennant flags and hats cigars and beer, etc etc at all the cemetary's in my area. A lot of Dad's and family and friends that never got to see a championship.

Maybe I can take that guy's father for a ride in mine? My father is alive and thinks a GT500 is a waste of $50K.

"Save it for your retirement. You don't need a playboy car" he says.

"But I am saving the maximum in my 401K, my other investments and can afford a Shelby" I tell him.

Of course he thinks the weather channel is entertainment. I think 30 years of vodka martini's has corroded the synapses , or something? :blink:

PS: Red Sox should have won it in 78 with Yastrzemski's team... How does Bucky freaking Dent spoil that?. :angry:

great story!!! And you will never say the phrase "I shoulda" or "only If"

This memory will take you to whole new level and I can say from experience that you never have as much time as you want or think you will.

My love of cars and my best memories are from my dad and his love of Cars. I will never forget the day I showed him my Shelby..... and although his eyesight was not that great, We shared that first ride. He passed in November last year, and I miss him, but everyime I drive that car, I remember......

Amy

My Dad was pretty excited all last summer while mine was on order. He's old school so part of him is looking at the cost and probably thinking, you should have saved the money for your future. However he also remembers the day when he owned several Mustangs and he knows he started something in me many years ago. He pulled out his original sales invoice for the 2+2 he bought brand new years ago. He told me a story that it cost him more in tolls to drive home from Louisianna to Mass than it did in gas. I was surprised he still had the original papers all these years later. He regrets not having any of them any longer. He loved the ride I gave him, but says it's too low to get in and out of. He also asked me why I choose Alloy, he told me I should have ordered the red one. HA! HA! You got to love Dad's.

THIS DAD STORY IS GREAT.

NOT EVERYONE HAS A GREAT DAD STORY, BUT LETS NOT FORGET THAT ALOT OF US ARE PARENTS AND LETS MAKE SOME GREAT MEMORIES SO THAT SOMETHING SPECIAL CAN CONTINUE FOR EVER, WITH ARE YOUTH.

MY SON 11 YEARS OLDS MUST CHECK THE WEBSITE AT LEAST DAILY OR ASK "HEY DAD FOUND OUT ANYTHING. HIS IS ALSO BUILDING A BLACK SHELBY GT OUT OF LEGO AFTER ABOUT 100 HOURS IT LOOKS UNBELIVABLE!

I KNOW WHO WILL BE SHOTGUN ON THE TRIP HOME FROM VEGAS.

Thanks for sharing that story with us "over200mph" Everyone has a similar story. This car is very special to most everyone who buys it.

There's no reason reutter you can't leave the passenger seat open. I'm not a very religious person, but I do believe if you ask your Dad to be there with you on Friday he will be. I did that the day I drove mine home last September for a very good friend who passed away, way before his time.

I pickedup my 07 white with blue stripes today and havn't settled down since. I intentionally picked up the car when no one else was available[wife working, friends busy] so I could leave the passenger seat vacant for a special copilot as Brianspony recommended. Guess what , it worked , we took the long way home and my dad really enjoyed the ride even though it was only in spirit. Thanks guys for the ideas.

My initial impressions of the car exceed my expectations- the car is tight, responsive and sounds awsome. I cant wait to get some break in miles on it so that I can stretch its legs a little.

As for break in, the manuals dont give a lot of info,What are others doing with regard to the first couple of hundred miles?

I pickedup my 07 white with blue stripes today and havn't settled down since. I intentionally picked up the car when no one else was available[wife working, friends busy] so I could leave the passenger seat vacant for a special copilot as Brianspony recommended. Guess what , it worked , we took the long way home and my dad really enjoyed the ride even though it was only in spirit. Thanks guys for the ideas.

My initial impressions of the car exceed my expectations- the car is tight, responsive and sounds awsome. I cant wait to get some break in miles on it so that I can stretch its legs a little.

As for break in, the manuals dont give a lot of info,What are others doing with regard to the first couple of hundred miles?

I am glad to hear you took that special first voyage with your Dad. That is so cool. Congrat's on your new Shelby. As for the break in period, I was told it did not need any. Already completed before delivery. I went very easy on my first 500 miles and have my first scheduled oil change appointment next week at roughly 1600 miles.

I am glad to hear you took that special first voyage with your Dad. That is so cool. Congrat's on your new Shelby. As for the break in period, I was told it did not need any. Already completed before delivery. I went very easy on my first 500 miles and have my first scheduled oil change appointment next week at roughly 1600 miles.

Thanks I really appreciate the comments. It made my new car delivery really memorable. As for the oil change that agrees with what my dealer service manager told me . He said to change the oil at 1500 miles and there after at about 2000-2500 miles which was my intent. I also intend to take it easy for the first 500 miles or so but it sure is hard.

I've owned a number of new cars but this one really is something special. The first night I had it home I spent about an hour sitting in a chair just looking at the car from all angles.The next day it rained really hard so I didn't take it out . I'm taking tomorrow off and just planning on going for a long drive!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's a bit obvious that I'm Daddy's girl. It really is his fault, and now it's a running joke I have with my uncles. I tried to talk him into a '69 Boss for my 16th birthday, but he didn't want to mess around with some Mustang that had a rotted out floor and needed more body work than engine work. Well, off I went, great college, impressive grades, law school on the way. My parents took me to the airport, I was leaving for study abroad.

Called home the next day, Daddy gave the phone straight to mom so we could talk. We'd had a fight at the airport and I'd told them to head home and I'd wait by myself - it was the biggest mistake of my life: two days after that mom called and it was a heart attack, he was 48 and there wasn't a thing anyone could do.

So, gentlemen (and ladies): Take your daughters and get them a hot rod, tune it up and make it pretty for her birthday, and I promise you, every time she grabs her keys she will think of you, the car shows at Bald Hill every weekend, running through three transmissions on that Jeep, waiting for her mustang.

When she finally gets it, Mom will know who to blame.

Guys and Gals,

I really appreciate your stories about "Dad". Im not a Shelby owner, Im just building a fun mustang with CS6 parts. I have a dad that I love very much and my dad/mustang story has a different twist.

I grew up with a car nut Dad, he loves to build all kinds of cars and as a child, he took me to lots of car shows. I practically grew up in his 69 Mach 1 which he still has. I looked forward to that car being mine one day. I love that car for the memories, it priceless to me. In April of 2004 at the young age of 31 I was involved in a crash that almost killed me. Fortunately I survived but I broke my neck and for some time after the injury, I couldnt move anything below my neck. During my hospital stay, my Dad was there for me as much as he could be. It was while I was in the hospital that I saw the first pictures of the new Mustangs. The new body style reminded me so much of the older mustangs, and it brought back memories of being with my dad in his mustang, and going to countless Ford shows. I absolutely wanted one of these Mustangs but I didnt think Id ever be able to drive again. As the months passed, my arms and hands came back and the Drs told me that I was going to be able to drive again and they reccommended that I look at mini vans. Once again, I was not happy. Ive never been interested in Any van.

A year after my injury I decided it was time to look at buying a car that I can drive. I ended up buying a satin silver 06 Mustang. I had to wait for the hand controls to be installed which drove me crazy but when the day came for me to get behind the wheel again, It was amazing. The first place I drove was to my Dads house, I had kept my purchase a secret. When I drove into his driveway and he realized it was me driving that car, both of us had ear to ear smiles. Dad came out and looked the whole car over and I took him for a drive. I was so happy to have my Dad riding in that seat next to me, it was a wonderful day.

I still have my Dad and Im very thankful, and Im unable to do any of the physical work on my car which drives me crazy but hes there and helps with whatever I need help with.

Financially, im not in a situation to buy a Shelby GT 500 which to me would be a total dream car but Im fortunate to have my life and my Dad. I hope you guys and Gals dont mind me sharing my story here.

Thanks to all that are sharing their family stories. It's sad to read them, but it's a good kind of sad. Shows each one of us who reads them what this car means to them. I'm glad to be part of this second generation Shelby family. :wub:

Guys and Gals,

I really appreciate your stories about "Dad". Im not a Shelby owner, Im just building a fun mustang with CS6 parts. I have a dad that I love very much and my dad/mustang story has a different twist.

I grew up with a car nut Dad, he loves to build all kinds of cars and as a child, he took me to lots of car shows. I practically grew up in his 69 Mach 1 which he still has. I looked forward to that car being mine one day. I love that car for the memories, it priceless to me. In April of 2004 at the young age of 31 I was involved in a crash that almost killed me. Fortunately I survived but I broke my neck and for some time after the injury, I couldnt move anything below my neck. During my hospital stay, my Dad was there for me as much as he could be. It was while I was in the hospital that I saw the first pictures of the new Mustangs. The new body style reminded me so much of the older mustangs, and it brought back memories of being with my dad in his mustang, and going to countless Ford shows. I absolutely wanted one of these Mustangs but I didnt think Id ever be able to drive again. As the months passed, my arms and hands came back and the Drs told me that I was going to be able to drive again and they reccommended that I look at mini vans. Once again, I was not happy. Ive never been interested in Any van.

A year after my injury I decided it was time to look at buying a car that I can drive. I ended up buying a satin silver 06 Mustang. I had to wait for the hand controls to be installed which drove me crazy but when the day came for me to get behind the wheel again, It was amazing. The first place I drove was to my Dads house, I had kept my purchase a secret. When I drove into his driveway and he realized it was me driving that car, both of us had ear to ear smiles. Dad came out and looked the whole car over and I took him for a drive. I was so happy to have my Dad riding in that seat next to me, it was a wonderful day.

I still have my Dad and Im very thankful, and Im unable to do any of the physical work on my car which drives me crazy but hes there and helps with whatever I need help with.

Financially, im not in a situation to buy a Shelby GT 500 which to me would be a total dream car but Im fortunate to have my life and my Dad. I hope you guys and Gals dont mind me sharing my story here.

These stories are really great. It shows that we are all alike not only in our love for these cars but also in our love of family and our special feelings for our dads.Keep them coming.

• 2 weeks later...

I look back at all the Cool Cars I have had and sold and it makes me sad.

From my 1964 Falcon Spring Convert to my 69 Mach 1 and several in Between one thing is certain, I wish that I did not sell them.

Feb 11th of this year I was looking at a White with Blue Striped 07 GT500 for a fair price on EBay, but I was thinking "this money can go to our retirement or the Kids college fund when my wife walked up, looked at the Screen and said "I love that one ... get it!" My wife Kicks a-s.

I called the dealership and we made a Deal that night on the Phone, 12 Days later She "the Shelby not my Wife" was in my Driveway.

I guess the point to the Story is you only live once, or Life is short, or it's only $699.23 a month. Actually I don't know what the point is I only know that when I take my Son or Daughter or Wife into town in my GT500 it's a Cool thing.

My kids always ask “are we taking the Fun car”? B)

This is the nicest Car I have ever owned and if you can afford one you had better buy one before they are all gone because you know the time will come when they are all Sold.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my love and knowledge of cars from my Dad. He would get home from work and on Saturday mornings before he showered and went to bed (he worked nights) I would get dressed and go out and help him with the family car (the first one I remember clearly), a 1959 Chevy wagon. We would crawl all over that thing top and bottom and then give it it's weekly wash and shine. I learned so much from my Dad. I thought it was very ironic that my Shelby's journey home consisted of almost a 24 hour stopover in Kansas City, KS. I figured it stopped there so that my Dad could check him all over and see what he helped me to acquire. My Dad was born and raised right there near the train yards and played in them as a kid with my uncles back in the 40's. I buried my Dad in KCK on his 76th birthday 3 1/2 years ago and he is always near.

Wow! What a great thread. Your stories are touching and inspirational. Thanks for sharing such personal info. I don't really have a great dad story to tell, as I never really knew my father, but some of your memories truly touched home. "BlameDaddy", you sound so much like my daughter that I thought I'd share how we came about being Shelby owners. Almost a year ago, my husband and daughter went to SAI in Las Vegas to deliver an International Truck as part of a promo gig with Carroll Shelby. While there, they had the amazing opportunity to meet Mr. Shelby and his beautiful wife. Carroll engaged in a great discussion with my daughter, who was 15 at the time and overly concerned with aquiring an old Mustang as her first car. She also grew up as an American Muscle child and learned to drive a stick starting at age 12 on my husband's 1965 Corvette Stingray. We took some awesome pictures and ended up leaving with an open door to build a CS6 at Shelby.

A year later, we are the proud owners of a Vista Blue supercharged CS6. My daughter, now 16, wishes she drove the Shelby. Instead she drives an old massive, lifted, black Jeep Wrangler 4x4. No doubt when she heads off to college, she'll be drooling over the GT500-ANY version! ShelbyGuy...She has little model mustang cars all over her room, posters too. I might have to get her some Leggos.

GTS6..I think your silver mustang looks buff. Good luck with the CS6 conversion. I want you to know that I am a special education teacher and I printed a copy of your story to share with my students. I hope you don't mind. Your determination is evident. How dare they tell you to drive a van? Your story will inspire my students.

Hays1967...Was the Corvette in your rear view mirror the whole time? Please tell me yes. That looks a lot like the race track in Pahrump? Your car looks amazing!!!

MyWickedShelby...Nice to see you have a soft side. I was beginning to think you didn't play well with others.

Over200MPH- A big thank you for starting this thread. I hope your visit to SAI was as incredible as ours. The question most asked in our household with 2 teen-aged drivers is...Can I take the Shelby?

HAPPY DRIVING!!! Whether you have a co-pilot or not. Every day I am like a 2 year old at Christmas when I go out into the garage. That's the way life should be.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! What a great thread. Your stories are touching and inspirational. Thanks for sharing such personal info. I don't really have a great dad story to tell, as I never really knew my father, but some of your memories truly touched home. "BlameDaddy", you sound so much like my daughter that I thought I'd share how we came about being Shelby owners. Almost a year ago, my husband and daughter went to SAI in Las Vegas to deliver an International Truck as part of a promo gig with Carroll Shelby. While there, they had the amazing opportunity to meet Mr. Shelby and his beautiful wife. Carroll engaged in a great discussion with my daughter, who was 15 at the time and overly concerned with aquiring an old Mustang as her first car. She also grew up as an American Muscle child and learned to drive a stick starting at age 12 on my husband's 1965 Corvette Stingray. We took some awesome pictures and ended up leaving with an open door to build a CS6 at Shelby.

A year later, we are the proud owners of a Vista Blue supercharged CS6. My daughter, now 16, wishes she drove the Shelby. Instead she drives an old massive, lifted, black Jeep Wrangler 4x4. No doubt when she heads off to college, she'll be drooling over the GT500-ANY version! ShelbyGuy...She has little model mustang cars all over her room, posters too. I might have to get her some Leggos.

GTS6..I think your silver mustang looks buff. Good luck with the CS6 conversion. I want you to know that I am a special education teacher and I printed a copy of your story to share with my students. I hope you don't mind. Your determination is evident. How dare they tell you to drive a van? Your story will inspire my students.

Hays1967...Was the Corvette in your rear view mirror the whole time? Please tell me yes. That looks a lot like the race track in Pahrump? Your car looks amazing!!!

MyWickedShelby...Nice to see you have a soft side. I was beginning to think you didn't play well with others.

Over200MPH- A big thank you for starting this thread. I hope your visit to SAI was as incredible as ours. The question most asked in our household with 2 teen-aged drivers is...Can I take the Shelby?

HAPPY DRIVING!!! Whether you have a co-pilot or not. Every day I am like a 2 year old at Christmas when I go out into the garage. That's the way life should be.

Hi SHELB6,

Thankyou for sharing your story. My dad and I did make it to SAI as planned. What another great day. Its amazing what I learned about my dad while we were there. In the museum he seeemd to be re-living a time in life I never knew of. In his heart and mind he was a young man all over again. During the tour though my dads legs got tired and he was struggling a little to stay standing. The SAI staff responded by getting him a chair to sit in and the tour never missed a beat. What a great bunch of people. I do need to add that I had my 14 -year old son with us and guess what? yes, I have another Shelby fan in the works. He says he want to drive my GT500 to school when he gets his license. Well, not likely I said. He'll need to attend and pass a high speed driving school and "maybe " it will happen. I waited 46-years to get a shot at a Shelby and said he needs to be patient. This new generation wants it now!! Well, I can't blame them. With Carroll, Amy and staff bringing us all the great cars and options we love, who wouldn't want it now!!

Take care and best regards>>>>

Thank you everyone for your stories. They are, as said, amazing.

Over the years, I too had lost out on Shelby purchase opportunities for one reason or another. I discussed with my wife that I wasn't going to let this one pass again so I will soon have my SGT in the driveway. Part of my decision, like many of yours, was for the memories - mine and my children's.

Thank you again.

Hi SHELB6,

Thankyou for sharing your story. My dad and I did make it to SAI as planned. What another great day. Its amazing what I learned about my dad while we were there. In the museum he seeemd to be re-living a time in life I never knew of. In his heart and mind he was a young man all over again. During the tour though my dads legs got tired and he was struggling a little to stay standing. The SAI staff responded by getting him a chair to sit in and the tour never missed a beat. What a great bunch of people. I do need to add that I had my 14 -year old son with us and guess what? yes, I have another Shelby fan in the works. He says he want to drive my GT500 to school when he gets his license. Well, not likely I said. He'll need to attend and pass a high speed driving school and "maybe " it will happen. I waited 46-years to get a shot at a Shelby and said he needs to be patient. This new generation wants it now!! Well, I can't blame them. With Carroll, Amy and staff bringing us all the great cars and options we love, who wouldn't want it now!!

Take care and best regards>>>>

I have to plan a trip to SAI in the near future. I went out to Vegas 3 years ago with my family to do the Grand Canyon southwest vacation tour. Sorry now I missed out, sounds like a great tour.

• 5 months later...
I'm new to the board today and also a new Shelby GT500 owner as of March-13th. I'm really stoked about being part of a group of great people as you all are on this board. I also can't say enough good things about the car. Put 1600 miles on it in 2 days and have a permanent smile on my face as a result. I also wanted to share a quick story about second chances. My dad (now 74) always told us the story of close encounter with a new Shelby on the dealer floor in Denver in 1967. Looking for a new car and with a wife and 3 kids he loaded us in an old clunker and off to the Ford/Mercury dealer in Denver we went. On the showroom floor was a new 1967 GT500. After a long look inside, outside and of course under the hood, he took a look at is family then the car and made his choice. It was a Mercury Comet Caliente with a hi-po 289. Well, he got a little performance and we all fit in the car. As you can imagine, the years went by and alot of cars came and went but never a Shelby. When I started driving, the old guy helped me with my first car. A 1967 fastback with a 289 and an automatic. Then a few years later came a 1968 GT fastback with a 390 with a 4-speed. Then later a 1969-Boss 302. The last world beater as a young man was a 1969 mach-1 with a transplanted 427 medium rise with factory dual quads and the big 4-speed. The old guy was there supporting me and helping me financially everytime but the Shelby's were always a little out of reach. I wish I had them all back knowing what I know now. Well fastforward many years, I told my dad that Shelby was coming out with a GT500 in 2007 and I would be taking a hard look at it. He reminded me again of when he had looked 40 years ago and wished he would have been a little irresponsible. A day later, my dad had a serious heart attack. He survived, but the reality of our precious time sent a strong message. So, I went out and bought the 07 GT500 (Vista Blue with White stripes). I needed to fly from So. Cal to Dallas to pick it up. I told my wife and son that the passenger seat on this trip was reserved for my dad. They totally understood. Although weakened by the heart attack, he gladly accepted. We waited an extra week for him to feel up to it and off we went. When we walked into the dealer showroom and they said here's your keys and theres your car, I think my dad was transported back in time for a moment. The experience to share that moment and the 2-day trip home with my dad in a new GT500 will be forever embedded in my mind. Yes, he drove the car for several hundred miles and although a little rusty with a clutch he did great. I'm taking him to Shelby Headquarters in LV in early April to see all the cool stuff being worked on and who knows, maybe he'll see something he has to have!!! Sorry for my short story being too long but I hope it helps make some new GT500 owners. If your looking at it, you won't be dissappointed and you certainly deserve it!! Good Luck.

Cosby,

I just wanted to thank you again for this story. After reading it again, it got me all emotional yet again.

There is another story on the SGT story where we're talking about "Dad" and we were reminded of your story.

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?showtopic=3039

Take Care.

Cosby,

I just wanted to thank you again for this story. After reading it again, it got me all emotional yet again.

There is another story on the SGT story where we're talking about "Dad" and we were reminded of your story.

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?showtopic=3039

Take Care.

Thanks for the note. I read the story you mentioned and enjoyed it very much. Its amazing how the lates 60's Shelby and Fords and other musclecars seemed the find their ways into our memories and then resurface later in life to live again in a new era of performance and muscle. If dad's still around thats even better. Enjoy your Shelby and I hope to cross paths with you someday at an event or on the road.

Best regards

Archived