TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Exhaust Drone?

ingram4868

In my area there are no Shelby GT's. It looks like I'll have to buy one off the internet without a prior test drive. Does the exhaust used on the Shelby GT create that "drone" sound caused by many aftermarket exhaust systems. I had Flowmasters on a previous Mustang and with 3.55 gears the sound on the freeway at around 2000 rpm drove me nuts.

Thanks, David

Those are good vids but they don't indicate if the exhaust has the 2000 rpm drone associated with most aftermarket exhausts (exceptions being Borla or Corsa). The drone is most noticable when crusing down the freeway.

Those are good vids but they don't indicate if the exhaust has the 2000 rpm drone associated with most aftermarket exhausts (exceptions being Borla or Corsa). The drone is most noticable when crusing down the freeway.

Maybe someone else can verify this, but I think I remember John telling me that the exhaust on the SGT is a Borla exhaust...I could be wrong.

In my area there are no Shelby GT's. It looks like I'll have to buy one off the internet without a prior test drive. Does the exhaust used on the Shelby GT create that "drone" sound caused by many aftermarket exhaust systems. I had Flowmasters on a previous Mustang and with 3.55 gears the sound on the freeway at around 2000 rpm drove me nuts.

Thanks, David

David,

I've had my car for over a month now and there is no noticable exhaust noise except under hard acceleration. I have an auto in my car and the sound deadening put into the car, by Ford, makes me wonder if the exhaust noise is very loud outside at all.

Gary

DID YOU LOOK TO SEE IF YOUR EXHAUST ACUALLY WAS DONE?

My car has already been on a lift at the local Ford dealer as I have an exhaust "rattle" issue. The exhaust has been done and you can see the "x" pipe in there and the FRPP mufflers on the back.

Gary

I've got nearly 1000 miles so far on my 5-spd S-GT. I have been listening for the "dreaded drone" as I remember hearing a lot about it on other Mustang message boards with aftermarket exhausts.

I will say that the exhaust in mine seems to get especially loud right around 2000 RPMs and I would think that if I set the cruise control and had to drive 400 miles at highway speeds that ended up being about 2000 RPMs it might start to bug me a bit, but I don't think that'll happen much.

I also find myself keeping the car in 4th at highway speeds just to listen to the exhaust...I love it.

I own one, Have it 2 days. No drone. I think the car is very quite. I also think it could be louder.

If your thinking you will be driving a stupd loud car, this is not it.

Not sure what the mags are talking about, my car is in my opinion not that loud at all.

My car has already been on a lift at the local Ford dealer as I have an exhaust "rattle" issue. The exhaust has been done and you can see the "x" pipe in there and the FRPP mufflers on the back.

Gary

Gary, I have my SGT for 2 days.

Got major exhaust rattle on both sides.

Was curious what the ford dealer came up with. I think the extended baffles which act more as acoustic enhancers than anything else seems to be the problem. there is also very little tolerance all arounn those two parts. Just shake the pipe a littlebit and its gosh darn aweful.

A real drag to be in a new car that cost 45 K and to have to listen to exhaust rattles.

Shame on Shelby automotive. This is the kind of stuff you expect on DIY jobs not this kind of car.

MY 2002 GT with 100 K on it never rattled a day in its life and the pipes are much tighter.

What ever Shelby did is really a let down as I am trying to be calm and collected before i call my dealer.

Is there a solution. Any help here by anyone reading this real appreciated.

Dan

Dan,

I have a little concern over the banging of the pipes. However, I have an appointment this Friday morning to fix it. As long as they don't fall off, it's really no big deal.

Gary

ok newbie question, for new issues like you are discussing can one take the car to any ford dealer or only where you bought it.

ok newbie question, for new issues like you are discussing can one take the car to any ford dealer or only where you bought it.

Yes one can take the car to the dealer and just get it fixed.

At the end of the day repsones from people who have the car to see if same or similar issue is happening and or getting resolved is the goal.

THis is one of the reasons I really I try and stay away from any forums because simple question with simple answers always get these kind of stuff. Just ignore it and let the people who can help chime in.

I promise I won't post again. Goodbye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really really do have better things to do.

Yes one can take the car to the dealer and just get it fixed.

At the end of the day repsones from people who have the car to see if same or similar issue is happening and or getting resolved is the goal.

THis is one of the reasons I really I try and stay away from any forums because simple question with simple answers always get these kind of stuff. Just ignore it and let the people who can help chime in.

I promise I won't post again. Goodbye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really really do have better things to do.

:huh: ?

He just asked a question.....

C-ya.

Archived