TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Latest from Car and Driver on the Shelby GT

GT-350_merged

First Drive: 2007 Ford Shelby GT - Previews

The best Mustang? Perhaps. But paying $10,530 more than for a stock Mustang GT seems all wrong for $2700 worth of bolt-on parts.

BY DAVE VANDERWERP, March 2007

Among the Shelby GT’s top traits, claims the press release, is that “production is limited in volume, assuring its exclusivity.” What it doesn’t explain is that sales volumes have a way of staying small when a special-edition model costs 40 percent more than the model it’s based on and boosts horsepower by just six percent. On top of that, there’s the 500-hp supercharged Shelby GT500 that costs only six grand more than the Shelby GT. But either way, there shouldn’t be a problem moving the claimed limit of 10,000 Shelby GTs (pretty much a version of the rental-only GT-H that you can now purchase new) per year, especially considering how much attention the GT received during our recent drive.

The $36,970 Shelby GT—ours was $38,970 with an uplevel stereo, leather seats, and the interior upgrade package—starts life as a regular Mustang GT, built in the Flat Rock, Michigan, assembly plant, and is then shipped to the Shelby factory in Las Vegas for the $10,530 transformation to Shelby GT. When it comes out the other side, the 4.6-liter V-8 makes 319 horsepower, a gain of 19 ponies over a Mustang GT. Extra hardware includes a cold-air intake; a slightly more aggressive engine-computer tune—necessitating premium fuel—a high-flow exhaust; a welcome inch-and-a-half drop with stiffer shocks, springs, and anti-roll bars front and rear; and a short-throw Hurst shifter for the five-speed manual (a five-speed automatic is optional). Probably no Shelby owner cares that EPA fuel-economy ratings drop from 17 mpg city and 25 mpg highway for a Mustang GT to 16/23 for the Shelby GT. The Shelby wears the Mustang GT’s optional 18-inch wheels and P235/50ZR-18 BFGoodrich g-Force T/A all-season tires. Cosmetically, GTs come in your choice of white or black (all rental GT-Hs are black), with silver stripes. The GT wears the GT-H’s brushed aluminum grille, and the hood gets a fake, riveted-on scoop. Thankfully, there’s no rear spoiler.

Potential buyers should know that the Shelby GT is more expensive than an Audi TT or Nissan 350Z and that all the upgrades (not including the stripes and hood scoop, which we don’t necessarily consider upgrades, anyway) are available from Ford Racing Performance Parts for a total of $2656.

No amount of wheel time behind teenager-owned Civics could have prepared us for the GT’s short shifter. The cue-ball-topped Hurst lever literally takes inches out of the shifter’s movement and, of course, raises the shift effort substantially. Until you learn to act as though you’re trying to break it, the shifter will feel clunky, and even then it doesn’t seem to save much in the way of shift times, particularly the second-to-third and fourth-to-fifth gearchanges.

The lowered suspension seems like a good change—and the GT certainly looks better when parked—as we chuck it into the first couple of corners. It’s far more buttoned down, with less body roll. Just don’t drive it on a really rough section of pavement; trust us, we tried that. Over moderate bumps, the GT’s ride is firmer than we’d like and gets uncomfortable after about a two-hour stint. Then we hit a murderous stretch of potholed two-lane, where any semblance of a pleasing ride-and-handling balance fell apart. More than once we wondered if we were going to stay in our lane, or even on the road, as the front and rear axles seemed to be bobbing and wiggling completely out of sync with each other, while the quick-off-center steering gives only a rough estimate as to where the car is pointed. Not that a regular Mustang would have faired all that much better, but the experience still left us yearning for something (anything) more refined. A Mazda RX-8, perhaps? A BMW 328i? Not only are those two infinitely better to drive, but they’re also cheaper than a Shelby GT.

Keep the Shelby GT in its natural environment—running quarter-mile times—and it’s far happier. The free-breathing V-8 sounds fantastic but doesn’t feel any stronger. The Shelby will do burnouts for weeks, and it's easy to control and slide around like a hero. Just don’t take it to a “real” track, i.e., a road course, where the Shelby’s brakes (same as the Mustang GT’s) fade away after about one lap.

Why are people so gung-ho about this latest Shelby? We can’t explain it, nor can we remember the last time we were driving something that attracted this much attention. And if you think the base price is astronomical—we do—these GTs are selling on eBay for as much as $50,000.

Is this author just too young to understand?

Well, a couple of comments. First the Shelby sticker price is wrong and the price of the parts alone is wrong, but we're talking. When I did the analysis, and factored in shop rates for installation, the price was maybe $4,000 more having Shelby do it and $1K is GGT! You can quibble about it but it's not 10K. Additionally an MSRP SGT is about 8K more than an equivalently optioned GT and 10K less than a equivalently optioned GT500. What could be raised, and perhaps justifiably, is the HP for the price given the above. In that sense it could be argued that the SGT should be at least 350HP, but we can agree to disagree and honestly I'm not loosing any sleep over it.

Now having said that what is appalling is the ridiculous ADM dealers are trying to suck out of this. The car is already on the edge value for the dollar wise and adding a 5-10K ADM is just wrong. This is what is getting around hence the focus on the HP and overall quality.

For the price we shouldn't be hacking up grills with a saw, and I think Ford should count themselves lucky that wasn't again highlighted in the article. Sorry to bring it up again, but this really does bother me. I'm fine with the HP, I hate the fake scoop, but I can get the far cooler C6 hood, yeah, the floor mats are not what we thought, but the sawed up grill is just bad. Especially on a car some people are paying 50K for (poor b@stards).

So, summary, poor research, somewhat correct in some of the conclusions, but for the wrong reasons. Also, lets not forget that when that BMW and Mazda are rusting or long since made into razor blades, a lot of these cars will still be on the road and on display.

To each their own....

For those buying Shelby GT's, it's not about $/horsepower, if it is, it's the wrong car for you...it's about passion.

Personally, I just couldn't get excited over a Mazda, or a BMW or an Audi for that matter. And for me, if I were driving one of those cars, I probably COULD wipe the smile off my face. In my Shelby GT......not a chance.

It wasn't horsepower that got my attention.......I never ask how much it had. It wasn't comfort........I have not driven or even sit in one yet. It was just that feeling I got when I walked in the showroom of our local Ford dealer and seen a white SGT sitting there. It also might have been the feeling I got when they told me I couldn't buy it cause the owner of the dealership was keeping it for himself. But I knew I had to have one. I have owned many great cars in the past.....1969 Z28, 1969 SS Camaro, 1967 SS Nova, 1969 GTO Convertible, yes I know these are all GM products which goes to the point of why buy a SGT. It is the kinda car that gets attention just as these old muscle cars of the past did and still do.

To compare this car to an Audi, BMW, or Mazda is totally off the wall in my opinion. To some my post may not make sense. But one thing I know is sometime in the near future (hopefully 2-3 weeks) I'm gonna cruise the streets of Gadsden Alabama in my white SGT watching the heads turn. And when a Audi, BMW or Mazda passes by I'll probably never notice...........

That is about the worst, non-factual report I have ever read which was not suppose to be a spoof. This guy needs to do some research. Where did he get the 10,530 price from? That is not what my sticker says....

That is about as bad as the media coverage on the Iraq war!....

Let's see...

Ford Upfitters Package = $2140

Shelby Mods = $8390

Total = $10530

This is the change to make a Shelby GT. No real gray area there.

Let's see...

Shelby Mods = $8390

Total = $10530

North Shelby.........good to hear from you. I live in Southside. Mine is expected in a few weeks. John said it was on the production line this week. I Buddy of mine from Boaz has a GT500 . We will have to get together when yours comes in........

Like I said before, that is not what my stickers says but thanks for clearing that up.

That's because there are 2 stickers. 1 Ford. 1 Shelby. Ford has the $2140 upfitters, Shelby has mod $7390 and gas guzzlers tax $1000. If you didn't pay the $10530 you got the best deal in the world, or you didn't get a Shelby GT.

At least you are getting something for the extra 10 grand on the SGT, (upgrade to engine output, upgraded suspension, upgraded exhaust, upgraded tires, upgraded appearance,etc.) not like the BMW, which is priced 10k over other similarly optioned cars in its class......just because its a BMW.

Funny, I didnt see any classic BMW's at this years Barrett-Jackson.......where are they?

They are in your newspaper for $6200.......... :huh:

No offense Bimmer owners -unless you have an M1.....There will be a few million more next year, not so special .......SGT is a whole different story.

i agree, i have had numerous bmw's and in fact i am getting rid of an '03 mercedes E500 for my SHELBY...all overpriced crap (my opinion no flaming)- id rather impress myself than the neighbors anyway...No BMW's or Benzes except for maybe the M5's and AMG cars can match the visceral impact of the SGT and they cost 3-4 times as much. they dont in my opinion deliver three times the enjoyment.

i agree, i have had numerous bmw's and in fact i am getting rid of an '03 mercedes E500 for my SHELBY...all overpriced crap (my opinion no flaming)- id rather impress myself than the neighbors anyway...No BMW's or Benzes except for maybe the M5's and AMG cars can match the visceral impact of the SGT and they cost 3-4 times as much. they dont in my opinion deliver three times the enjoyment.

I have owned a 67 gt 500 for 12 years. bought the new sgt. I dont know what prices of these cars are gonna do. No one does. Thats not why i bought the car. I bought the same reason you did...its a 2007 shelby!! wow, how many more times will we be able to order a new shelby just the way you want it???That alone to me is worth the price.

You said it well mercedes and bmw may be better cars, ride, handling, acceleration. But at the end of the day you are not putting the cover on the shelby. thats truly priceless...

That's because there are 2 stickers. 1 Ford. 1 Shelby. Ford has the $2140 upfitters, Shelby has mod $7390 and gas guzzlers tax $1000. If you didn't pay the $10530 you got the best deal in the world, or you didn't get a Shelby GT.

LOL, Ok I think it's just a matter of symantics here. Up to the point the mustang is sold to Shelby industries it's just a Mustang no matter what is done to it. The second sticker is what I consider to make it a Shelgy even though it's primarily Ford upgrades. That's why I don't consider anything but the second sticker as markup to own a Shelby which as we all know is just a piece of paper which allows a new breed to own a part of history and be involved in a legacy that trancends generations. Up to that point any mods done to the Mustang are just that - Ford mods. I guess if I take the statement into context where it states a "stock" GT, then I am wrong.

Anyway, maybe I should just shut up........ :unsure:

So, nice to meet you guys! I actually traded in my 05 Ram 1500 for this car and never looked back.

Let's see...

Shelby Mods = $8390

Total = $10530

There is a bit of a fallacy here in the inference that it costs $10k to make a shelby GT. Looking above that may seem correct but it's not. Numbers are a funny thing that way. It actually costs $7,390.

Ford Upfitters package is the equivalent of a GT/CS package so to include that in the price as part of the "Shelby Conversion" I think is wrong. Additionally $1K of Shelby's sticker is GGT.

The true price to do the Shelby portion of the job is $7,390.

IMHO!

Ditto Matt (and Stump on the Iraq War).

Shelby price $7390 - pretty awesome value for getting a piece of the legend!

The author does not get it and probably won't ever get it. To compare a SGT to a regular GT with $2656 of parts from Ford Racing is total missing the point of the car. We didn't buy a SGT because we thought we got a deal on Ford Racing parts or that the car rides like a Lexus over murderous stretches of potholed streets. And if I did compare it to a GT, it would have to be the GT/CS, and the parts.... you would have to add in the cost of installation to be a fair comparison. It's like comparing the cost of the paint to value of a painting. And to dismiss any of the other Shelby parts and the value of having a car built by a guy name Carroll vs. a guy name Burt...well he doesn't understand. If you are an owner...enjoy your car...drive them.... make some memories....there is only going to be 6000 of us. And if you have a SGT with an SC---kick the *% out of a GT500, BMW, etc. Don't get me wrong. The GT500 is a nice car...but I would love to see a comparison with a SGT with a few performance parts from Shelby...oh that's right...the author wouldn't understand that either.

He's also a little out of date on the prices on eBay. There are many examples near MSRP. There were even a couple that were below list.

No offense to anyone named Burt.

.....I'll disagree with the $7390 is the additional price. You can't get the an Shelby GT without the upfitter package that cost $2140. You can't buy the car without paying the gas guzzler tax, $1000. Now I may eventualy disagree, don't have mine yet, with a lot of the performance remarks in the article but I do agree with that a Shelby GT cost $10,530 more than a standard Mustang GT. Is it worth it to me.......heck yeah.

If you want you can say it only cost more $8,390 more than a CS/GT. Now that is fuzzy math.

The author does not get it and probably won't ever get it. To compare a SGT to a regular GT with $2656 of parts from Ford Racing is total missing the point of the car. We didn't buy a SGT because we thought we got a deal on Ford Racing parts or that the car rides like a Lexus over murderous stretches of potholed streets. And if I did compare it to a GT, it would have to be the GT/CS, and the parts.... you would have to add in the cost of installation to be a fair comparison. It's like comparing the cost of the paint to value of a painting. And to dismiss any of the other Shelby parts and the value of having a car built by a guy name Carroll vs. a guy name Burt...well he doesn't understand. If you are an owner...enjoy your car...drive them.... make some memories....there is only going to be 6000 of us. And if you have a SGT with an SC---kick the *% out of a GT500, BMW, etc. Don't get me wrong. The GT500 is a nice car...but I would love to see a comparison with a SGT with a few performance parts from Shelby...oh that's right...the author wouldn't understand that either.

He's also a little out of date on the prices on eBay. There are many examples near MSRP. There were even a couple that were below list.

No offense to anyone named Burt.

So what part of

GT California Special Package

Includes black leather sport bucket seating surfaces with unique California Special contrasting Dove or Parchment "GT Leather" inserts, California Special badged floor mats, 18" x 8.0" polished aluminum wheels and P235/50ZR18 all-season tires, unique front fascia, larger air intake, chin spoiler 1.5" lower than GT, unique rear fascia with race-car-like "diffuser", side scoops, unique tape stripe and bright rolled exhaust tips. REQUIRES Vista Blue Clearcoat Metallic or Redfire Clearcoat Metallic or Performance White Clearcoat or Black Clearcoat or Grabber Orange Clearcoat. INCLUDES 64W. NOT AVAILABLE with 18M, 18M.

Made it to the SGT besides the front and rear fascia?

So what part of

Includes black leather sport bucket seating surfaces with unique California Special contrasting Dove or Parchment "GT Leather" inserts, California Special badged floor mats, 18" x 8.0" polished aluminum wheels and P235/50ZR18 all-season tires, unique front fascia, larger air intake, chin spoiler 1.5" lower than GT, unique rear fascia with race-car-like "diffuser", side scoops, unique tape stripe and bright rolled exhaust tips. REQUIRES Vista Blue Clearcoat Metallic or Redfire Clearcoat Metallic or Performance White Clearcoat or Black Clearcoat or Grabber Orange Clearcoat. INCLUDES 64W. NOT AVAILABLE with 18M, 18M.

The wheels, special Floor mats, side scoops, tape stripes (some), bright rolled exhaust tips.

You can keep the ugly two-tone seats!

So what part of

In my view the only item missing are the unique California Special contrasting Dove or Parchment inserts and the paint color requirements. You better like black or white with the SGT. If I was going to build my own SGT...I would start with a GT/CS. My only point is that this all cost money and you must include the cost of installing it on a GT.

But everything else is basically there with a little changes in the badging is GT vs GT/CS...

•C/O GT interior with "GT Leather" inserts

•C/O 18”Polished “Bullitt”wheels on white cars (64W)

•New 18”Black “Bullitt”wheel on black car

performance tires vs. all-seasons tires

C/O Cal Special front and rear facia

•C/O Cal Special side scoops

•Silver Shelby Racing and Body Side stripes on Black and White vehicles

bright rolled exhaust tips

•“Shelby GT”sill plate &

• floormats w/ Shelby Logo

plus you get...

Side air bags

Tire Inflator kit

Bright aluminum pedals