TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Traction control on a GT-H

we just bought our second GT-H. the first won sold to a fellow in CA. #381 can in from the sale this morning. very nice car not beat up, but i was showing the car to a guy and was telling him how the traction control cant be turned off, well guess what... the button worked perfectly. so #381 can have the traction turned off. i understood that it was killed at shelby or at the ford factory. our first one will not turn off. anyone heard of this, just curious

thanks

michael

we just bought our second GT-H. the first won sold to a fellow in CA. #381 can in from the sale this morning. very nice car not beat up, but i was showing the car to a guy and was telling him how the traction control cant be turned off, well guess what... the button worked perfectly. so #381 can have the traction turned off. i understood that it was killed at shelby or at the ford factory. our first one will not turn off. anyone heard of this, just curious

thanks

michael

Hertz put a clip on the button which prevents the button from being pushed. It is a simple matter to remove the clip.

• 3 weeks later...

The GT-H has not had any mechanical/electrical modifications to prevent the TCS from being turned off. As mentioned above, it's a simple matter of popping off the TCS button on the dash and removing the blocking clip underneath it to restore the on/off functionality.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wasn't sure whether or not my traction control was working or not. Sometimes the wheels would spin. What I did notice is sometimes the engine would cut out between second and third gear. I thought maybe a rev limiter or something. I have a friend that has a regular GT and he told me his engine would cut out if he left the traction control on. Well it finally got the best of me so last night.....after midnight I pulled the dash. Sure enough there is a little metal clip slid in behind the button to keep it from moving. I removed it and went for a ride. Wow what a difference....you hit the gas now and it just lights up the tires. It would keep them lit through second gear. For those of you that have not removed the clip or are wondering if there is one there is. Once removed the traction control off button lit up....it never did before. It took about thirty minutes to pull the consol and dash....not bad at all.

Hertz #417 Texas

• 1 month later...

I don't know if you need to pull the whole dash to get at the clip. On my car, I just pried off the button with a soft blade, removed the clip behind it, and popped the button back in place. Took two minutes.

Yep, easy to do. Just pop the cover on the button, pull the clip and its done. And yes, save the clip[! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, easy to do. Just pop the cover on the button, pull the clip and its done. And yes, save the clip[! :D

FINALLY HAD THE TIME TO DO IT, EASY AND IT FEELS LIKE A DIFFERENT CAR. JUST POPPED THE COVER, REMOVED THE CLIP, DONE. FEELS LIKE 25 EXTRA HORSIES.

• 2 weeks later...

I rented one last year in Las Vegas and all you have to do is push hard on the button and it will turn off the traction control.

Gary

Gary is right - You don't have to tear the thing apart if you only want to occasionally disable it... especially if you might ever let anyone else drive it.

Just use your thumb and index finger from each hand and push firmly on the four outer corners of the TCS button for about 3 seconds and you'll see the TCS indicator light up. It's then disabled until you turn off the ignition or push the button again. This lets you have some fun when you want, but retains the original functionality and value.

Archived