TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cobra logo

Shelbyrat

Hi guys,

I love the look of the Redline Black Series 3785 for my SGT. However, since it has a Cobra center cap would it be Ok to have this cap on the wheels of a SGT?

Might seem silly, but was having a discussion with a friend and he said you should never put anything Corba branded on an SGT(might offend the purists).

So before i roll out bucks on the wheels just thought i would ask.

If not, what other center caps are available to brand them Shelby?

Thanks,

SJ

If you’re looking for wheels have you looked over at the Shelby Wheel Company?

I've got the CS66 wheels 9.5x18 in anthracite and couldn't be happier the "purists" can't question wheels branded by Shelby himself..............

Picture191.jpg

DSC00484-1.jpg

Good luck.........Post some pictures when you get the wheels on your car......

I think those wheels would look awsome on a white SGT. If I get one those are the first mods I would do. Sweet. :)

Shelbyrat,

It is not wrong to put anything with the Cobra on your car. SAI offers the 20" Razor as an upgrade and recomendation if you get the brake package. So if the Shelby Factory is doing it how can it be wrong.

I had the same thoughts you are having. I asked Amy once if the cobra was left off on purpose. She said it was to keep the cars different. To honor that, I thought about not put anything on my car with the Cobra. When it came to wheels I was stuck. All of the Shelby Legend wheels from American Racing have the same center cap. I don't like the Carroll Shelby Wheel Company wheels. No offense to GT350, he was doing a tribute and it really works. Once, I decided to go with the Shelby wheels from American Racing then I thought a few more subtle Cobras don't hurt. I will be ordering the center arm rest cover and Engine Aesthetice Kit with my car. They all have the Cobra.

However, with all that written and truth be told I have cringed at Cobra I have seen on one Shelby GT. The owner replaced the tribar pony on the grill with a Cobra. To each his own opinon.

Lastly, while writing this, I just got the the thought to call American Racing tomorrow and see if the caps can be replaced. I may change my mind about my upgrades but not my opinion of putting the Cobra on the car. After all, the 1966 GT350s had the Cobra symbol on them also (steering wheel).

Hi guys,

I had the same issues with the Cobra logo as you are expressing here. I love my SGT. #268.

The only thing I am disappointed in the lack of the Cobra logo appearing anywhere on the car. Why is this a big deal? There is no greater logo in the world. I love the "snake".

I want to do nothing to my SGT that is not a part of the car's legend. The car is based on the GT-350 as you said which is a Cobra.

Shelby needs to let it known that is a true Shelby Cobra based on the 350 and that Cobra badging is acceptable.

Somewhere down the line if we do not get this straight now collectors and others in clubs etc are going to rip our rides for having improper badging.

Amy---Cobra or not? What is Shelby's stance?

There has to be others in this forum that have had the same conflict. Post up and let's get a true opnion and determine now if the SGT is a Cobra and if badging is true to the car.

Thanks,

Steve

Texas

Ok...just one man's opinion but to me...it's all just too much.

We already have a car with too much branding going on!

We have a ford blue oval, we have a tri-bar pony, we have the Shelby letters on the back, we have the shelby name on the lower half, it's spelled out as a "GT", we have a shelby logo floor mat, we have "Ford Racing" under the hood!

Now we're going to add a Cobra to the mix? Is this a car with an identity or in search of one? Didn't we all learn in 1979 that throwing a "Cobra" on a Mustang didn't a "Cobra" make? If SAI say's it's ok, that's fine, I really could care less, but I won't be buying a "Cobra" keychain anytime soon.

Hey, I even thought the Cobra's were WRONG for the GT500, but that's me!

Stop the insanity!

I bet you can figure out SAI's position since they have a stake in parts that are sold from their shop or with their logo on it.

I would be interested in what SAAC or some of its members think. However, I believe there wouldn't be a badging problem if you are simply adding parts from the Shelby catalog (ie. wheels, arm rest cover, engine dress up kit, door latch handles). Also on most of those parts the Cobra logo is different and more artistic than the classic Cobra.

I do think there is a badging problem if an owner starts replacing Shelby GT badging (ie. fender, grill, faux gas cap) with Cobras.

BTW! I think the car above is beautiful!

I did want to add that I think the Mustang itself is need of some badging and branding clean up. For example I HATE AND I MEAN HATE the silly ugly as sin GT badges on the side fenders. I was fine with 5.0 but would haev opted for the tri-bar pony logo with a medallion of some sorts that had 5.0 or GT or V6 etc., like some of the old ones did. In other words clean up all these badges into one clean classic look that's extensible. Now, as for the rocker panel stickers I think they have a place and again tradition should carry the day.

For example:

Say there was a GT350 and say Ford allowed you to add or delete the stripes etc. In that case a car with the stripes would have a simple tri-bar pony and the GT350 lower rocker stripes. If you opt out of the stickers you get a tri-bar pony logo with "350" on the bottom of the ribbon. It's clean and works functionally to identify the car as a "Mustang" and it's type a "350". Eliminates the redundant badging etc.

Just floating the idea...what do I know...??

I want to do nothing to my SGT that is not a part of the car's legend. This car is based on the GT-350 as you said which is a Cobra.

As has been stated before by SAI-Amy, the SGT is not based on the GT350 of old.

The only thing I am disappointed in the lack of the Cobra logo appearing anywhere on the car. Why is this a big deal? The is no greater more reconizable logo in the world. I love the "snake".

If you want a Cobra badge, go buy yourself one and put it on your car. They are in the FRPP catalog.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I love the look of the Redline Black Series 3785 for my SGT. However, since it has a Cobra center cap would it be Ok to have this cap on the wheels of a SGT?

Might seem silly, but was having a discussion with a friend and he said you should never put anything Corba branded on an SGT(might offend the purists).

So before i roll out bucks on the wheels just thought i would ask.

If not, what other center caps are available to brand them Shelby?

Thanks,

SJ

TO each his own bro but I'm actually thinking about DE-badging the car and just leaving the Shelby stuff.

I say leave off the Cobras. At least the traditional coiled Cobra. I even asked American Racing if they had different center caps for the GT40 wheels I ordered. I am not that against the modern Cobra symbol SAI is using on stuff like the fluid caps and arm rest cover. The traditional Cobra belongs on Cobras not Mustangs. But to each his own opinion how to decorate their car.

I am willing to bet that most sgt owners would also like to see some kind of cobra badging . Is there a way to set up a poll on this site? Based on the results, SAI may decide to offer something.

I wouldn't hold your breath on any Cobra emblems on the new "Shelby Automotive, Inc." cars. Back in the day Carroll sold the rights to the Cobra emblem and the name to Ford. Under the new (current) agreement with Ford Shelby Automotive can not directly compete with the "Ford" SVT/Shelby cars. Carroll however did not sell the rights to GT-350/GT-500 so that is where the new licensing agreements come into play. Some of the old timers myself included might remember back in '84 Ford had the white GT-350 for a short time, Carroll went to court and had Ford stop because they had the rights to Cobra and not to GT-350. For more info on that car follow link…..1984 Mustang GT-350

I am willing to bet that most sgt owners would also like to see some kind of cobra badging . Is there a way to set up a poll on this site? Based on the results, SAI may decide to offer something.

I don't want any Cobra stuff on my car. This car has enough different branding things going on.

NEVER EVER EVER made sense to me anyway! I have a snake horse?

What does a Mustang (horse) have to do with a Cobra (snake)? Doesn't make sense! It's like Chewbacca! Why does an 8ft wookie live with a bunch of 4ft Ewoks? It doesn't make sense!

:huh:

I agree with Matt's snake horse comment but is there a difference between a symbol for a car and a symbol of the company (SAI). Bellow is the armrest cover with what seems to be a newer company logo for SAI. It also comes on the Engine Dress up kit with the lettering in blue and the Cobra symbol in red. Again like the wheels, if you want a Shelby product for the engine compartment it will come with a Cobra symbol.

I recall reading when the GT500 was announced, that Ford was allowed to use the snake, but was not allowed to refer to the GT500 as a Cobra and Cobra is not present anywhere in Ford literature with respect to that car. I too like the snake and would like to see it somewhere on the SGT as it was on the original Shelby GT350, perhaps a snake centerpiece for the steering wheel and snakes on the wheel center caps, just like the original.

I'm sure if there wouldn't have been a meeting of the powers that the GT500 wouldn't be. It would rather be a SVT Cobra. Just like the '04s and earlier cars. As for in the wheel center caps, if you buy any of the Shelby Legend wheels from American Racing the have the Cobra on them. You can also get the American Racing "Torq" wheel with the Shelby center cap. Before long, I am sure there will be somebody producing a Shelby or snake senter cap for the stock wheels. If not already.

I recall reading when the GT500 was announced, that Ford was allowed to use the snake, but was not allowed to refer to the GT500 as a Cobra and Cobra is not present anywhere in Ford literature with respect to that car. I too like the snake and would like to see it somewhere on the SGT as it was on the original Shelby GT350, perhaps a snake centerpiece for the steering wheel and snakes on the wheel center caps, just like the original.

Sounds like a movie... "Snakes on Cars" :o

I think everyone is getting a little worked up over the whole "Cobra" thing. The snake was Shelby's logo when they made the original AC Cobras back in the early 60's. When they started making the GT-350s they put the snake logo on the cars to mark them as Shelbys. The coiled snake is Shelbys logo, not the Mustangs, and not Fords. If I remember correctly the main reason Ford put the "Cobra" name on the Mustangs in 93 was because if they didn't use it they would lose it and they didn't want Shelby to put the name on another brand of car.

Our cars are Shelbys not Cobras. If you want to put something with Shelbys logo on your car, then do it. The Shelby logo is different than the one Ford uses so it doesn't mark your car as a "Cobra" wannabe.

Also, keep in mind that the GT500 is a Mustang Cobra underneath the Shelby badging. That is why the snake logo is on the car. It is the same logo as on my 94 Cobra, it is not the same as the one that is on SAI's parts.

Archived