TEAM SHELBY FORUM

how many miles did your sgt have at delivery???

michael10128

I can tell you this. They are moving the cars from ford to shipper to maybe a warehouse of the shipper, then shelby.( shelby has moved all the remaining cars a couple times because of races and lack of nascar parking). Then as I understand it (on my trip to shelby autos) they test drive cars around the track. I guess what I am saying is I think these may be legit miles, not joy riding.

Anyone else?

I can tell you this. They are moving the cars from ford to shipper to maybe a warehouse of the shipper, then shelby.( shelby has moved all the remaining cars a couple times because of races and lack of nascar parking). Then as I understand it (on my trip to shelby autos) they test drive cars around the track. I guess what I am saying is I think these may be legit miles, not joy riding.

Anyone else?

Mine had 14 on it. The dealer never drove it. Iwas there when it came of the covered transporter (Work across the street) and it never left the parking lot. The car only left the parking lot with me behind the wheel. I wouldn't even let the lot porters in it. I would say they are legit miles from all the moving around and testing and such before it was delivered.

Mine had 14 on it. The dealer never drove it. Iwas there when it came of the covered transporter (Work across the street) and it never left the parking lot. The car only left the parking lot with me behind the wheel. I wouldn't even let the lot porters in it. I would say they are legit miles from all the moving around and testing and such before it was delivered.

I would say you are probably correct! MOST vehicles that come in will have 6 - 10 miles on them. With all the transporting of these Shelby GT's I would imagine there to be a few extra miles added on. Then the vehicle is usually test driven a couple of miles for PDI to make sure everything is OK before delivery.

I visited Shelby Auto in North Vegas last month. The Mustangs are all parked next to the race track behind a chainlink fence. There is a security guard that keeps all public on the other side of the fence. By the way there were about 4 guys there, sitting in their cars, watching some Porsche's race around the track, next to the chainlink fence smoking pot. I think they need more security. :unsure:

Shelby Auto technicians drive the Mustangs from the track storage area to the Shelby Shop, which is about a 1/4 of a mile away. The first thing that is done to the Mustang GT's, shipped by rail to Vegas from Ford in Michigan, is bolt on that lame hood scoop and place all the stripes. Shelby's are driven to be striped. It is a tricky installation.

Then two man performance mod crews drive them back to change out the diff, install the handling package, re-tune the engine, etc.. The black Shelby GT gets black 18-inch wheels and the white one gets chrome wheels. The black wheels are kind of ugly in my opinion, but the Shelby people seem to like them, hence the GT500 anniversary package has those nasty black things too. The Shelby GT performance installation is completed in about 5 hours/Shelby GT.

Then they test drive the completed Shelby GT's around the race track and where-ever to make sure everything works correctly. They probably have standard tests they perform? This ensures your Shelby GT performs the way it is supposed to. It is a good quality control measure.

I am not sure why the Shelby GT's horsepower is now reported as 319? It was originally 325 like the Hertz Shelby GT-H. Maybe the Hertz is actually 319 also? I have rented the 2006 Hertz Shelby a couple of times. I think I like it's hood better? But it does trap water and puddle up. Maybe the Shelby Auto guys need a new dyno to nail down that horsepower correctly? (j/k) ;)

Guys, we get the cars with a few miles on them, we then pick them up at the rail, and drive them to a truck pickup spot. They are brought to Shelby and put in the lot. They are then driven to striping, then driven to the shop for the performance upgrades. Then when they are completed they are driven to the track and tested, for suspension, ride height, rattles, exhaust, etc. Then back to the lot.

I suspect all the miles are ligit. I bought my new gt500 and when I picked it up the day it arrived it had 6 miles on it.

Amy

Lucky,

I read somewhere (on this forum) that the hp calculations are different for 2007 than they were for 2006 and therefore the drop to 319hp for 2007 models.

All the GT-H's were 2006's.

Yup, I realize the year difference. Mustangs were virtually unchanged from 2006 to 2007. The wheels are now 18's instead of the Hertz's stock 17's. Not sure how much that would affect the horsepower if any? Probably would affect the gas mileage and handling more than the horsepower? Maybe they tuned it differently than the Hertz? I believe the SGT has a cold air filter and the same exhaust system as the Hertz? I read somewhere the 2007 Shelby GT was originally classified as 325, but then changed to 319.

Yup, I realize the year difference. Mustangs were virtually unchanged from 2006 to 2007. The wheels are now 18's instead of the Hertz's stock 17's. Not sure how much that would affect the horsepower if any? Probably would affect the gas mileage and handling more than the horsepower? Maybe they tuned it differently than the Hertz? I believe the SGT has a cold air filter and the same exhaust system as the Hertz? I read somewhere the 2007 Shelby GT was originally classified as 325, but then changed to 319.

The hardware hasn't changed between the GT-H and the SGT. The test has changed that measures the HP rating...so I understand.

A few years back Ford had to recall a bunch of cobras and retune the engines and do some exhaust work because the production cars weren't meeting the horse power claims. I suspect that Ford is very conservative in there claims these days to prevent a re-occurance. Nobody ever complained about getting MORE than they paid for. Every test drive review I read says it feels more powerful than you would expect from only 19 extra HP. In the automatic cars the gear swap could explain some of that. On the manuals the 3.55 is available from the factory, so the gear swap wouldn't account for that. I order all my sticks w/ the 3.55.

Archived