TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Octane Boost

Does anyone know what brand and type of octane boost Hertz used when releasing these cars for rent? I understand 3 bottles of boost were put in the trunk when renters took possession of the cars. I understand premium fuel was used, but I was wondering about the octane rating (92 or 93) also. :blink:

Does anyone know what brand and type of octane boost Hertz used when releasing these cars for rent? I understand 3 bottles of boost were put in the trunk when renters took possession of the cars. I understand premium fuel was used, but I was wondering about the octane rating (92 or 93) also. :blink:

They told me this when I rented the car too but it doesn't jive with Ford's recommendation which says, and I'll have to look for it, that premium fuel isn't needed nor recommended.

They told me this when I rented the car too but it doesn't jive with Ford's recommendation which says, and I'll have to look for it, that premium fuel isn't needed nor recommended.

Not sure why greater octane needed over the 92/93 octane premium as the stock 300HP Mustang GT 2005-7 requires only regular 87 octane fuel. Using premium for daily driving is a waste as the stock GT runs fine on regular as specified. I wouldn't spend the extra money for boost agents. Our rental did fine on 92 fuel even when pressed hard.

• 2 weeks later...

Typically, Hertz did this so they could use the cheaper 87 octane fuel in the cars when refueling them. Saves them some money in the long run.

Cheap bastages. B) I rented a GT-H in Nashville and in Boston and there were no cans of additive in the cars nor was it mentioned by the Hertz people.

Just run premium 93 octane fuel and you should be fine.

Typically, Hertz did this so they could use the cheaper 87 octane fuel in the cars when refueling them. Saves them some money in the long run.

Cheap bastages. B) I rented a GT-H in Nashville and in Boston and there were no cans of additive in the cars nor was it mentioned by the Hertz people.

Just run premium 93 octane fuel and you should be fine.

You're right. Premium no less, the car deserves it. B) I insist on it. Down here, 92 is about the best you can get, so I'll use a bit of boost per tank to bring it up a notch.

• 6 months later...

91+ for highest performance, but if your just cruising around town and commuting to work in stop & go traffic I don't see why 87 can't work just fine. Having said that, however, I always fill mine w/ 91+

Archived