TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Motor Trend Reports 10,000 GT's To Be Built

In the April 2007 issue of Motor Trend on the first drive of the 07 Shelby Mustang GT on page 52 in an article written by Matt Stone, whom I assume is on MT Staff, he writes Ford Motor Company states they will build as many Shelby's as the people will buy up to 10,000.

I thought the limit was around 6,000 and had been reported on this site. This leads me to one of two conclusions, production in 2008, and for those people that pay huge ADM's on the first ones, they may not be happy as more and more of these wonderful cars hit the ground.

The 08 order bank opens in May, I have no idea if the Shelby Mustang will be available next year, maybe Amy or John can chime in and sort this out.

I thought the article and pictures were well written.

Just my thoughts, if anyone else has the scoop, let the rest of us know.......

In the April 2007 issue of Motor Trend on the first drive of the 07 Shelby Mustang GT on page 52 in an article written by Matt Stone, whom I assume is on MT Staff, he writes Ford Motor Company states they will build as many Shelby's as the people will buy up to 10,000.

Just my thoughts, if anyone else has the scoop, let the rest of us know.......

Here is my understanding. Ford has always stated the number as up to 10,000 I believe that was the plan. However, because of issues around dealers, there are still dealers out there that have allocation and don't know it, or have no clue about this car, like mine. That if the current ordering trend continues with the time left to get an order in before the books close, and Ford can push out the 2007 cars, Amy estimates they will come in closer to 6,000 units.

Now, articles like this may bring a surge in interest, and orders, but I fear that crazy ADM will slow that down as well. On a positive note, for those wanting MSRP, if a dealer has yet to use their allocation and the order books get closer to closing they may just want to sell it off and get what they can. But in the wacky world of a dealer's mind you can never tell.

So, to sum it up, we just don't know what the final number will be except it won't be more than 10,000!

.....I am pretty sure Amy said the number is 6,000 period. That is what SAI contracted for. A lot of the article used outdated information. Even the car was outdated.

Somehow I think Amy has a better handle on how many cars she is building than Motor Trend does.

Thanks for the replys.

What I was looking for was someone from SAI staff to chime in and see if there is an update or confirm or deny the information in the article. Everything we have posted including mine is pure speculation.

Ford knows these cars and the GT 500 are in demand and making money for the dealers. I would be building everything I could role out the door to give dealers something that they can sell that isn't sitting on the lot in the floorplan.

I suspect that if SAI knew they were going to build more, they woudn't say anything for fear of damaging current sales.

Motor Trend, on the other hand, is a very well respected magazine doing numerous articles on the new Mustang and haven't been off too much.

Would be nice if someone from SAI staff would comment rather than saying nothing.

Just my thoughts............

My understanding is that in 06 the Shelby Gt 500 edition they were going to make up to a max of 10,000 of that model however in the Shelby GT 6,000 has always been the limit. I was also under the impression that 4,000 were going to be shipped to US and Canada while the other 2,000 would be sent to other countries. How true that is I know not but the 6,000 max for this year I'm almost positive on. As for another line of Shelbys for next year, it would be cool to see what they come out with next but if they keep pumping them out eventually its not so limited ah go ahead I'd get an 08 too if I can scratch up the cash and find another msrp dealer.

My understanding is that in 06 the Shelby Gt 500 edition they were going to make up to a max of 10,000 of that model however in the Shelby GT 6,000 has always been the limit. I was also under the impression that 4,000 were going to be shipped to US and Canada while the other 2,000 would be sent to other countries. How true that is I know not but the 6,000 max for this year I'm almost positive on. As for another line of Shelbys for next year, it would be cool to see what they come out with next but if they keep pumping them out eventually its not so limited ah go ahead I'd get an 08 too if I can scratch up the cash and find another msrp dealer.

I think we have all read this same info in the posts. I would like to see and I suspect it is coming a convertable model for 08. That would be just too cool. This info would be nice to know. Not everyone would want a convertable due to price and quirks specific to convertable models. Also I suspect forum feedback would play a part in some of the things people wanted but didn't get, for example the carpet issue with the nice logo's.

SAI staff have been kinda silent here lately on the sight after all the posts prior to delievery start.

I think it is great the cars are being built. I made my mid-life crisis purchase buying an 05 in Ocotber of 2004. Had I known this was coming I would have waited.

It would be nice to get some first hand info from the Shelby staff on what's up for 08. I suspect most orders are already presold or spoken for by dealers. It remains to be seen if the ADM holds up.

In Texarkana a new Shelby Automatic was purchased last week at McClarty Ford. It's been off the lot less than 10 days and already for sale in the paper at $41,000.00 used. I wonder what happened, the wife, payments, no five-speed, insurance problems, or a baby on the way. I couldn't believe it, less than 100 miles and trying to unload it and at what appears to be MSRP or slightly under.

Just my thoughts.............

I think we have all read this same info in the posts. I would like to see and I suspect it is coming a convertable model for 08. That would be just too cool. This info would be nice to know. Not everyone would want a convertable due to price and quirks specific to convertable models. Also I suspect forum feedback would play a part in some of the things people wanted but didn't get, for example the carpet issue with the nice logo's.

SAI staff have been kinda silent here lately on the sight after all the posts prior to delievery start.

I think it is great the cars are being built. I made my mid-life crisis purchase buying an 05 in Ocotber of 2004. Had I known this was coming I would have waited.

It would be nice to get some first hand info from the Shelby staff on what's up for 08. I suspect most orders are already presold or spoken for by dealers. It remains to be seen if the ADM holds up.

In Texarkana a new Shelby Automatic was purchased last week at McClarty Ford. It's been off the lot less than 10 days and already for sale in the paper at $41,000.00 used. I wonder what happened, the wife, payments, no five-speed, insurance problems, or a baby on the way. I couldn't believe it, less than 100 miles and trying to unload it and at what appears to be MSRP or slightly under.

Just my thoughts.............

Prices are already coming down to just slightly over MSRP on Ebay. Surprising, as the car is still "new" really. Most regular customers are simply not going to pay the extra wanted for the Shelby GT. The car appeals to true Mustang enthusiasts only or people who just want something different regardless of price. The average Ford customer probably doesn't understand what the car is all about.

As far as new models go, you can be sure something is in the works at SAI, as they have been pretty quiet lately which would lead one to believe that they don't want to ruin any potential existing sales on the '07 model. Couple that with dropping '07 Shelby GT prices and it all starts to make sense. An '08 convertible is entirely possible, along with some other new releases. There are many new models that could make the list. It's rumoured that the new Bullitt might make it's way to SAI for road-racing prep. SAI is just getting started with Ford.

To date, there have been no Shelby GT's shipped outside of the US (that I'm aware of), as compliance issues are of concern with this car. Canada is supposed to get an '08 model, but only after this is dealt with. This is where you could realize the balance (4000 units) of the total production of 10,000 units to fall. But it has to be timed properly or you jeopardize the current market. Ford knows exactly how to do this quite effectively and has been doing so for years. Remember the Cobra R? The 2003 SVT Cobra came a couple of years after the Cobra R and pretty much ruined collectability of the 300 unit car. And Ford will do this again and again and again. In fact, after the April car show, Ford will unveil their newest Mustang (Bullitt and maybe the Boss 302) which will start the process all over again, while people quickly forget the previous models and their "collectability". I've bought too many Mustangs to believe anything different. Am I upset with Ford? Not at all. I admire their prowess in knowing what people will want and buy.

What to do? Buy the Mustang you like and drive it! Don't think about it's future value, as it's hard to say when and where we'll be by then anyway with regards to demand. About half the new GT500's sold will end up in garages with little or no mileage on them, thinking they'll actually be worth something someday. Don't bet on it! And the same applies to the Shelby GT (maybe a little less so).There will be lots of them around to choose from . Remember, the 60's and 70's happened ONCE, and will not be repeated with regards to Musclecars' values. You can already see it unfolding now.

Okay, I've gone on long enough with my opinion, and it is only that. I'm still excited about the models yet to come! Enjoy your fine cars!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah what he said!

Drive em! The value thing is nice...but to cash in you have to sell the car! Who the hell wants to do that?

My Shelby GT will be driven. It will up to my two sons to restore it in 25 years. Of course , I may put aside a few parts to make the restoration easier..... hehehe

:D

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah what he said!

Drive em! The value thing is nice...but to cash in you have to sell the car! Who the hell wants to do that?

My Shelby GT will be driven. It will up to my two sons to restore it in 25 years. Of course , I may put aside a few parts to make the restoration easier..... hehehe

:D

Amen to that Brother!

My daughters are all ready lining up for it...........

• 2 weeks later...

.......alot of people seem to think so but I am not convinced. When I walked over to SAI two weekends ago during the race weekend, the ratio appeared to be pretty even. No, I did not actually count them and it was only about 80-100 cars on the lot.

Did you see mine........its white, arrived last week..............LOL. I feel like a kid waiting on Christmas and its just September.........

My source was a post done on here around the first of the month and I will admi that. But you also have to consider that most dealers are ordering the black car for no other reason pretty much then the 06 GT-H is black so they think it will sell.

Only 2 dealers in my area have gotten a white car off the bat. The dealer that I bought mine and a dealer in Roanoke, VA. They still have their car by the way. It is $32,015 plus the shelby package. that takes it upto $40,405. They have had it for a while so they might not want 7 over sticker that they told me at one time.

I wasn't trying to come of rude. If it appeared that way, I apologize. I originally ordered a white car because of the wheels and because it also seemed to me as I called around most of the dealers ordered black. Through a dealer screw up I am getting a black car. No problem I was always on the fence.

However, until it is all said and done I don't think we can know the ratio will be so skewed to black cars. We can all use pictures and driving around experiences to fit our conclusions but they are not factual numbers. For instance I have been to five dealers (including mine) and the ratio of actual delivered cars I have seen is 5 white care to 3 black cars. And on the Shelby map in the forum the ratio is currently 7 black cars to 5 white cars. In the end I am sure somebody, probably SAI, will have all the breakdowns (color, transmission, superchargers) after production.

I wasn't trying to come of rude. If it appeared that way, I apologize. I originally ordered a white car because of the wheels and because it also seemed to me as I called around most of the dealers ordered black. Through a dealer screw up I am getting a black car. No problem I was always on the fence.

However, until it is all said and done I don't think we can know the ratio will be so skewed to black cars. We can all use pictures and driving around experiences to fit our conclusions but they are not factual numbers. For instance I have been to five dealers (including mine) and the ratio of actual delivered cars I have seen is 5 white care to 3 black cars. And on the Shelby map in the forum the ratio is currently 7 black cars to 5 white cars. In the end I am sure somebody, probably SAI, will have all the breakdowns (color, transmission, superchargers) after production.

I too ordered white due to the wheels. I guess I'm just not cool enough! :-)

If you look on ebay you'll find 90% black...just as point of validation not an actual percentage as a whole.

I too ordered white due to the wheels. I guess I'm just not cool enough! :-)

If you look on ebay you'll find 90% black...just as point of validation not an actual percentage as a whole.

The SAAC club will have the breakdown once all the cars are finished. I highly recommend anyone who owns a shelby new or old become a member. Its a great national club. There are also local chapters of the main club. Of course you do not have to own a car to be a memeber.

All of shelbys cars are going to be in the registry. But now all of these new cars have appeared no telling when the new copy will come out. i paid in full for my registry book about 3 years ago. it may be a couple more years till its printed.

Well you'd think after this many threads to the original post Shelby would say something about next years production. I'm betting a convertable is in the works for 2008 and an increase in horse power with additional options available.

Concerning the sales and ADM, it appears that this is falling to MSRP in most markets. I'm waiting to see what happens in the 2008 model year.

SAI staff has really slowed down on posts and checking the board. They got the product out now, but the market will be saturated with 6,000 units, most of which will all come with the same standard equipment.

I'm not sure what the SAI mark-up is on their actual costs, but as much as I would like to have one, I'm driving a perfectly good Mustang GT that is unique in it's own way through a careful selection of aftermarket parts.

I even briefly considered cloning one, but decided that was not a good idea. I will be adding some of thier excellent selection of aftermarket add ons after they get them off the coming soon list.

What happened to the Door Handles that disappeared of the website.

Just my thoughts..............

Archived