TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT Performance

pagerart

Am I missing the forum to talk about how the cars perform? With so many cars delivered, I would think there would be plenty of discussion on how they drive and things besides superchargers. I love my car. It is the most fun of any vehicle I have owned and I have owned some nice cars. Unless mine is different from the rest, the most noticible oportunity for improvement would be to reduce slippage in the back. When pushing the car in the turns, the rear feels a little light. Anyone else experience this? Anyone done anything to improve it? I think the car moves out of its way just fine. Sure a supercharger would make it faster, but I think a little improvement in the handling would add more to the car than raw power? Any thoughts out there?

I would agree that the back feels a little light when hit the turns but I haven't really tried pushing the car to the limits yet because well 1 I can't afford a ticket, and I already got pulled over just to be asked by the officer is that a real Shelby? Don't worry folks I wasn't speeding "at the time" he really just wanted to know and funny enough it was an undercover in a mustang. But as for improvements on the car other than raw power can we get SAI reply on this I'd love to know myself what can we do through SAI to put a little more into these beautiful rides.

......they are too busy driving them. :P

I absolutely love driving my car. It handles very well and feels like it wants to be extremely aggressive on the road. I just guess now that I'm older, I don't want to hit the Traction Control button and lay into the throttle due to purchasing new tires, more frequently. :blink:

I really can't get enough of the car. I absolutely love it and will probably drive the wheels off of it... B)

Gary

I absolutely love driving my car. It handles very well and feels like it wants to be extremely aggressive on the road. I just guess now that I'm older, I don't want to hit the Traction Control button and lay into the throttle due to purchasing new tires, more frequently. :blink:

I really can't get enough of the car. I absolutely love it and will probably drive the wheels off of it... B)

Gary

Gary, is there a notice in the car that talks about using ONLY premium gas? Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere!

Thanks!

Gary, is there a notice in the car that talks about using ONLY premium gas? Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere!

Thanks!

I was told by the guys at SAI that the engine calibration required premium gas. It makes sense that if the power increase is due in part to an advance in the timing/ignition, premium gas would be required to reduce ping.

I have a small sticker inside the gas tank door that says "91 octane only"

I was told by the guys at SAI that the engine calibration required premium gas. It makes sense that if the power increase is due in part to an advance in the timing/ignition, premium gas would be required to reduce ping.

I have a small sticker inside the gas tank door that says "91 octane only"

Thanks! Just wanted to verify!

I just can't believe there are not more reports of performance and handling issues on the new Shelby Mustang on this site. There were so many posts on speculation and hype on the cars and now since they have started getting delivered, it appears posts and comments have kind of dropped off.

You would have thought, we would have heard more about driving experiences and warranty issues, including fit and finish comments from the SAI installation of the engine and appearance modifications.

In looking at the other sites; such as, TMS, it appears postings have also slowed. I also would have thought by now, someone from SAI would have commented on next years production with the order banks opening soon.

The only thing I can think of is maybe Ford & Shelby are concerned about killing potential sales for the 07, which would bring down the ADM issues. With all the comments about wanting some additional options and many people wanting a convertable, I just don't get it.

You would think any optioned 08 Mustang GT could be rolled through the SAI plant for the engine and appearance options for crying out loud.

One other thing that I really missed on this production model, there have been many comments about the bolted on hood scoop and how it looks with some owners wanting a CS6 Hertz GT-H style hood. Why didn't Shelby just add the GT appearance option with the Ford hood scoop that looks very close to the Shelby scoop option. In my humble opinion, it would have decreased the time at the SAI plant in Las Vegas.

I've posted this comment before, there should have been a snake on the fender instead of the powered by ford logo also. This car also should have been optioned from the factory with driving lights similar to the Hertz GT-H. Reline tires would have really been cool on the black models also.

This is in know way intended to knock Shelby installs, but you kinda gota wonder why you couldn't also have run your prior purchased GT through SAI and had a conversion done also. I didn't buy into the you can have or mod shop do the after market installs, but it's not a Shelby, we just give you a certificate that Shelby installed the parts.

I suspect many other 05-07 GT owners wondered about this possibility. To SAI's defense I guess you just can't keep everyone happy.

I just can't believe there are not more reports of performance and handling issues on the new Shelby Mustang on this site. There were so many posts on speculation and hype on the cars and now since they have started getting delivered, it appears posts and comments have kind of dropped off.

You would have thought, we would have heard more about driving experiences and warranty issues, including fit and finish comments from the SAI installation of the engine and appearance modifications.

In looking at the other sites; such as, TMS, it appears postings have also slowed. I also would have thought by now, someone from SAI would have commented on next years production with the order banks opening soon.

The only thing I can think of is maybe Ford & Shelby are concerned about killing potential sales for the 07, which would bring down the ADM issues. With all the comments about wanting some additional options and many people wanting a convertable, I just don't get it.

You would think any optioned 08 Mustang GT could be rolled through the SAI plant for the engine and appearance options for crying out loud.

One other thing that I really missed on this production model, there have been many comments about the bolted on hood scoop and how it looks with some owners wanting a CS6 Hertz GT-H style hood. Why didn't Shelby just add the GT appearance option with the Ford hood scoop that looks very close to the Shelby scoop option. In my humble opinion, it would have decreased the time at the SAI plant in Las Vegas.

I've posted this comment before, there should have been a snake on the fender instead of the powered by ford logo also. This car also should have been optioned from the factory with driving lights similar to the Hertz GT-H. Reline tires would have really been cool on the black models also.

This is in know way intended to knock Shelby installs, but you kinda gota wonder why you couldn't also have run your prior purchased GT through SAI and had a conversion done also. I didn't buy into the you can have or mod shop do the after market installs, but it's not a Shelby, we just give you a certificate that Shelby installed the parts.

I suspect many other 05-07 GT owners wondered about this possibility. To SAI's defense I guess you just can't keep everyone happy.

I for one have to disagree with you on the hood scoop and cobra fender badge....but like you say, you just can't keep everyone happy, I am very happy with the overall appearance of my car, especially the hood scoop, it's different than every other GT out there. The only thing I might change is the exhaust, it seemed like the GTH I rented was quite a bit louder....maybe I am imagining that. Anyone know if the exhaust system is the same?

Yesterday, while I was out driving, I pulled up next to a guy driving somewhat of a Shelby clone, red with silver stripes and GT300 lettering on the side. Supercharged. He rolled down his window and asked me who modified my car, and where did I get the hood scoop and grill. I took great pleasure in telling him that it was a "real" Shelby, modified at SAI in Vegas.

Everywhere I go, people pull up with camera phones and snap photos. I have spent a considerable amount of time cleaning nose prints off the windows from people sneaking a peek at the interior while parked at a movie or restaurant.

What I am trying to say is that I think that they nailed this car, it is just as it should be. Looks tough and FUN to drive.

I for one have to disagree with you on the hood scoop and cobra fender badge....but like you say, you just can't keep everyone happy, I am very happy with the overall appearance of my car, especially the hood scoop, it's different than every other GT out there. The only thing I might change is the exhaust, it seemed like the GTH I rented was quite a bit louder....maybe I am imagining that. Anyone know if the exhaust system is the same?

Yesterday, while I was out driving, I pulled up next to a guy driving somewhat of a Shelby clone, red with silver stripes and GT300 lettering on the side. Supercharged. He rolled down his window and asked me who modified my car, and where did I get the hood scoop and grill. I took great pleasure in telling him that it was a "real" Shelby, modified at SAI in Vegas.

Everywhere I go, people pull up with camera phones and snap photos. I have spent a considerable amount of time cleaning nose prints off the windows from people sneaking a peek at the interior while parked at a movie or restaurant.

What I am trying to say is that I think that they nailed this car, it is just as it should be. Looks tough and FUN to drive.

I guess sometimes e-mai isn't always clear. I totally agree with you in all respects, that was just some personal observations. The hood though isn't functional on either models. But when is all said and done it's just an appearance package with a slight increase in horsepower and handling. I've seen the cars and they are nicely done by Shelby. Ford could have done the same thing down the production line though, the modifications weren't that complex. I simply made some comments about what I would have liked to have seen on the car and the fact that it didn't make sense to limit options and was wondering what 2008 had in the future. Enjoy your car, I'm sure it is alot of fun to drive and be seen in.

Just my thoughts.........

Totally hijacked. In response to the initial thread, check this out (it may have been posted before, so sorry if a repeat):

http://www.motortrend.com/av/roadtests/112...by_gt_overview/

You guys are too funny :rolleyes: As for the performance of the car - I have an automatic - it's phenomenal!!! I'm sure most are/were breaking in their cars for the initial 1000 miles, I have almost 3000 miles now, and can't give a really fair assessment yet. For me, I chose the auto as I commute over 30 miles, each way, to work every day and sitting in rush hour traffic is why I got rid of my stick car to begin with. :mellow: I can't shift my stick as fast as this auto shifts, B) the car just wants to run and run and run. When you're cruising along at 85 miles an hour, it doesn't feel like it and believe it or not I get very good gas mileage. Since I live in the Tampa area, we went to Orlando yesterday and the car got 27 MPG while humming along at 85 miles an hour with the A/C on. As for off the line acceleration, just lay into the throttle and feel the car throw you back in the seat and the exhaust comes to life!!! :lol:

My car was one of the first out of the Shelby plant and there are only a couple of issues wrong with it. 1) the exhaust hits the bottom of the car when you hit a hard bump; 2) the hood scoop doesn't fit correctly along the drivers side edge and finally 3) there are various - non-noticeable - air bubbles in a couple of the stripes (I know, because I have already washed it 7 times and waxed it 2 times in the six weeks I've owned it)... I asked the Ford dealer NOT to fix the exhaust until they get the replacement scoop in from Shelby. As for the bubbles, not noticable - don't care if they get fixed.

BTW... The Shelby folks are the best I've ever worked with and they are extremely proud of the work they do on these cars for us!!! I've said that to Amy on a few occasions...

Enjoy the car when you get it as my wife and I do everyday going to work...

Gary

:) Only about 170 miles on the car so far and I have to say very impressive in a straightline (like <bleep> off a shovel as they say) and pretty good cornering. However, here in the Northeast we still have plenty of crap on the road and it is very easy to let the rear end get loose. I haven't floored the car yet as I think it probably better to run the engine in (any views?). Lovely sound with even reasonably hard acceleration however. Doesn't stick to the road like a AWD TT, but is quicker without the turbo lag (not that the TT has much).

You guys are too funny :rolleyes: As for the performance of the car - I have an automatic - it's phenomenal!!! I'm sure most are/were breaking in their cars for the initial 1000 miles, I have almost 3000 miles now, and can't give a really fair assessment yet. For me, I chose the auto as I commute over 30 miles, each way, to work every day and sitting in rush hour traffic is why I got rid of my stick car to begin with. :mellow: I can't shift my stick as fast as this auto shifts, B) the car just wants to run and run and run. When you're cruising along at 85 miles an hour, it doesn't feel like it and believe it or not I get very good gas mileage. Since I live in the Tampa area, we went to Orlando yesterday and the car got 27 MPG while humming along at 85 miles an hour with the A/C on. As for off the line acceleration, just lay into the throttle and feel the car throw you back in the seat and the exhaust comes to life!!! :lol:

My car was one of the first out of the Shelby plant and there are only a couple of issues wrong with it. 1) the exhaust hits the bottom of the car when you hit a hard bump; 2) the hood scoop doesn't fit correctly along the drivers side edge and finally 3) there are various - non-noticeable - air bubbles in a couple of the stripes (I know, because I have already washed it 7 times and waxed it 2 times in the six weeks I've owned it)... I asked the Ford dealer NOT to fix the exhaust until they get the replacement scoop in from Shelby. As for the bubbles, not noticable - don't care if they get fixed.

BTW... The Shelby folks are the best I've ever worked with and they are extremely proud of the work they do on these cars for us!!! I've said that to Amy on a few occasions...

Enjoy the car when you get it as my wife and I do everyday going to work...

Gary

Gary,

Do you worry about the air bubbles under the stripes changing volume due to variations in the temperature? Over hundreds and hundreds of temperature changes may fatigue the vinyl in the stripe and one of these days when you are washing it, might crack and leave you wishing you had fixed it under warranty? Just a thought.....

I too have some areas of bubbles under the stripes, not noticeable, and am in the process of trying to figure out how to get it fixed.

I don't know about you, but for me, it's hard to keep the car under 85, it feels like it just finds it's rythym at 90, and the exhaust sounds great at that speed.

That's too funny... :D I purchased an extended warranty through 7 years, so for the bubbles, I'm not that worried.

You're right about keeping the car under 85, as it just wants to keep going. B) On my trip to Orlando, last Sunday, I do remember the needle hitting triple digits on a couple of occasions. :)

Gary

I purchased an extended warranty through 7 years, so for the bubbles, I'm not that worried.

Gary

I'm sure you already have this covered, but many extended warranties are powertrain only, not "bumper to bumper" as the powertrain is where you can really get hurt if something breaks. As such, it is possible that the bubble in the stripe might not be covered later. Just a thought.

Also, did your car come with the 36K or 60K factory warranty? I have seen conflicting info from Ford on this.

I'm sure you already have this covered, but many extended warranties are powertrain only, not "bumper to bumper" as the powertrain is where you can really get hurt if something breaks. As such, it is possible that the bubble in the stripe might not be covered later. Just a thought.

Also, did your car come with the 36K or 60K factory warranty? I have seen conflicting info from Ford on this.

My car came with 36 month 36k miles bumper-to-bumper. I extended to 7 yrs and 100k miles bumper-to-bumper.

Gary

I guess sometimes e-mai isn't always clear. I totally agree with you in all respects, that was just some personal observations. The hood though isn't functional on either models. But when is all said and done it's just an appearance package with a slight increase in horsepower and handling. I've seen the cars and they are nicely done by Shelby. Ford could have done the same thing down the production line though, the modifications weren't that complex. I simply made some comments about what I would have liked to have seen on the car and the fact that it didn't make sense to limit options and was wondering what 2008 had in the future. Enjoy your car, I'm sure it is alot of fun to drive and be seen in.

Just my thoughts.........

I think the answer is, every car, regardless of the mods, is some exterior and some performance, the great thing about a shelby is the balance of the 2. We put the FFRP parts together in a combination that works, with the larger rear, it feels stronger and faster then it is. It looks sutle cool, it is a complete package and it can be upgraded, and its an all around package and great ride under 40K, if you dont get the Nav....lol

Shelby is about balance

Amy

I think the answer is, every car, regardless of the mods, is some exterior and some performance, the great thing about a shelby is the balance of the 2. We put the FFRP parts together in a combination that works, with the larger rear, it feels stronger and faster then it is. It looks sutle cool, it is a complete package and it can be upgraded, and its an all around package and great ride under 40K, if you dont get the Nav....lol

Shelby is about balance

Amy

... and looks, and performance, and looks, and performance, aaannnnddd THE LEGEND!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Shelby is about balance

Amy

My only problem is you offer so many great mods....and I got the nav.

:D

Archived