TEAM SHELBY FORUM

This is one for the Shelby GT guys

ksmach1

I was on a GT500 list for over a year. While I was waiting, the info about the Shelby GT started to capture my attension. I put my name in at a few local dealers thinking I may have a better shot at a Shelby GT. Well I got the GT500 so I knew I could not afford both so I never went back to the few dealers that took my info. Two days ago I got a call from Norristown Ford in Trooper Pa. The salesmen said he had all the info on the Shelby GT that their getting in Apr. I asked for the price breakdown so here it is:

30k for the base car

10k for the Shelby package

7k ADM

47k plus tax, tags, and any additional add-ons. Is this about average or too much. The only reason I ask is because I have a new car club member who likes the Shelby GT but does not want to over pay. Suggestions?

Thanks for the input. I felt it was on the high side for a basic Shelby package. One other thing about the car is its an automatic. I'll let our newest club member know that he really needs to shop around for 43k or less.

Thanks

I paid MSRP last week. Here is the breakdown:

Mustang GT Premium - $26,875. Add the 18G interior upgrade pkg for $460, the 54U upfitters pkg for $2140 and the $745 delivery (might be able to get that back) and I was in at $30,220. Add the Shelby pkg of $8390 and my MSRP was $38,610. Later, I called back to add on the alarm system and I think that was another $350. And, as for me, I also ordered the silver wheels seperately through the dealer since I think those look better on the black SGT rather than the black wheels. If anyone does get the silver wheels, make sure it doesn't go to SAI that way or else they will send it back. I will also order about $3000 worth of additional Shelby options and I'm working with SAI directly on those. If anyone wants to know the dealer, it was Pride Ford in North Attleboro, MA. The salesman and sales manager were excellent. They also have a gorgous orange Shelby GT500 convertible still sitting on the floor.

I paid MSRP last week. Here is the breakdown:

Mustang GT Premium - $26,875. Add the 18G interior upgrade pkg for $460, the 54U upfitters pkg for $2140 and the $745 delivery (might be able to get that back) and I was in at $30,220. Add the Shelby pkg of $8390 and my MSRP was $38,610. Later, I called back to add on the alarm system and I think that was another $350. And, as for me, I also ordered the silver wheels seperately through the dealer since I think those look better on the black SGT rather than the black wheels. If anyone does get the silver wheels, make sure it doesn't go to SAI that way or else they will send it back. I will also order about $3000 worth of additional Shelby options and I'm working with SAI directly on those. If anyone wants to know the dealer, it was Pride Ford in North Attleboro, MA. The salesman and sales manager were excellent. They also have a gorgous orange Shelby GT500 convertible still sitting on the floor.

aodwyer, thanks for the detailed breakdown. I sent our club member a link to your post so I think he will have a good idea from here on out. Just looking after a fellow mustang guy using this forum and the members as a valuable resource. Thanks again for your time and input.

aodwyer, thanks for the detailed breakdown. I sent our club member a link to your post so I think he will have a good idea from here on out. Just looking after a fellow mustang guy using this forum and the members as a valuable resource. Thanks again for your time and input.

I paid MSRP as well. My order was the same as except I added Navigation and mine is white. I too will be having some work done at SAI. C6 Hood, rear deck spoiler, and lower grill insert. About $3K.

I'm another MSRP buyer. I got back from a visit to Shelby Automobiles last month and while there I'd just barely missed buying an SGT from a midwest dealer for MSRP, arising from a contact made with another tour group member who'd purchased his GT500 for MSRP. I was pretty high on this idea because the car was AT Shelby right then. So I drove back out there at the crack of dawn and learned from SAI staff that the car had actually departed back for the dealer the day before.

Bummed, I waited a few days and then started calling dealers around my state (WA), and when I got to the 3rd call, bingo. A few days later, the order was placed for exactly how I wanted the car to be built, and at MSRP.

I think there will be a little slack in the order pipeline around the end of the production run for this model year and so I suggest just shopping a bit for an MSRP price. Heck, I paid UNDER MSRP for my GT500, but then again, it was a left over '67 on the dealer's lot in March of '68.

Roger

Oh, yes. I still have it.

I'm another MSRP buyer. I got back from a visit to Shelby Automobiles last month and while there I'd just barely missed buying an SGT from a midwest dealer for MSRP, arising from a contact made with another tour group member who'd purchased his GT500 for MSRP. I was pretty high on this idea because the car was AT Shelby right then. So I drove back out there at the crack of dawn and learned from SAI staff that the car had actually departed back for the dealer the day before.

Bummed, I waited a few days and then started calling dealers around my state (WA), and when I got to the 3rd call, bingo. A few days later, the order was placed for exactly how I wanted the car to be built, and at MSRP.

I think there will be a little slack in the order pipeline around the end of the production run for this model year and so I suggest just shopping a bit for an MSRP price. Heck, I paid UNDER MSRP for my GT500, but then again, it was a left over '67 on the dealer's lot in March of '68.

Roger

Oh, yes. I still have it.

Roger, you are the man! Its not everyday you can talk to a person who has a vintage Shelby and is the original owner. I wish I could say the same but I was only 6 years old in 68. I did have several mustang and shelby matchbox cars growing up but that's as close as I came to owning until I made the purchase of my 07 GT500. If you can, please post a few pics for me. I can never get enough of the vintage stangs. Thanks

Ken

PS: I bet you have some great stories.

I was on a GT500 list for over a year. While I was waiting, the info about the Shelby GT started to capture my attension. I put my name in at a few local dealers thinking I may have a better shot at a Shelby GT. Well I got the GT500 so I knew I could not afford both so I never went back to the few dealers that took my info. Two days ago I got a call from Norristown Ford in Trooper Pa. The salesmen said he had all the info on the Shelby GT that their getting in Apr. I asked for the price breakdown so here it is:

30k for the base car

10k for the Shelby package

7k ADM

47k plus tax, tags, and any additional add-ons. Is this about average or too much. The only reason I ask is because I have a new car club member who likes the Shelby GT but does not want to over pay. Suggestions?

Shop around! Try towards the end of the month when they are trying harder to sell cars......

My Dealer in So. Cal. was:

Standard Vehicle Price: $26,805.00

Optional equipment:

Interior upgrade Package

Charcoal Aluminum Panel

Active anti theft

Sirius sat.

GT Upfitters Package

Destination and Delivery

MSRP $30,670

Shelby GT Package: $8,390 (Includes Gas Guzzler Tax)

$39,060 + Tax, lic, Bla, Bla Bla crap:

Your milage may very but, "Shop Around" it can be done. :D

Sure Ken...I bought the car when I was a senior in high school. My parents actually paid for most of the car and I couldn't believe I was able to talk my dad into this, but actually he's the one who first visited the dealer and came to me with the idea after a test drive.

I ran the heck out of the GT500 all thru college, then it started to languish and finally I just stored it for about 20 years. Kids came along. We did well in business. 35 years went by and then my son asked if we could restore it for his required high school project. Thus came the rising of the Phoenix and now the car looks like new and pretty much works the same too, though there's always a punch list needing attention with a project like this. Actually, compared to modern cars it's fun to drive more as a curiosity than a real performance machine, but the whole experience has been simply incomparable.

I learned a lot about cars, their maintenance, cost, how to drive without getting killed, how not to sell it which I almost did for $2,500 in the early '70's, and finally how to become a car restorer. Now that I'm recently retired (Wa Hoo!) we'll be doing lots more restoring of vintage cars & motorcycles and I have several projects underway in our shop adjacent to the house.

The pic is my son who got me to pull the GT500 out of mothballs. It was a peak life experience to do this project with him, and to me that was more valuable than owning the car from new, though that's been great too.

What's Really Great is being able to do it all over again now! It's still hard to believe that I can again say "New Shelby Mustang." I totally didn't ever expect to repeat this experience in any way, and I'm so thankful that Carroll Shelby has returned to building Mustangs. America, the Beautiful.

Roger

Sure Ken...I bought the car when I was a senior in high school. My parents actually paid for most of the car and I couldn't believe I was able to talk my dad into this, but actually he's the one who first visited the dealer and came to me with the idea after a test drive.

I ran the heck out of the GT500 all thru college, then it started to languish and finally I just stored it for about 20 years. Kids came along. We did well in business. 35 years went by and then my son asked if we could restore it for his required high school project. Thus came the rising of the Phoenix and now the car looks like new and pretty much works the same too, though there's always a punch list needing attention with a project like this. Actually, compared to modern cars it's fun to drive more as a curiosity than a real performance machine, but the whole experience has been simply incomparable.

I learned a lot about cars, their maintenance, cost, how to drive without getting killed, how not to sell it which I almost did for $2,500 in the early '70's, and finally how to become a car restorer. Now that I'm recently retired (Wa Hoo!) we'll be doing lots more restoring of vintage cars & motorcycles and I have several projects underway in our shop adjacent to the house.

The pic is my son who got me to pull the GT500 out of mothballs. It was a peak life experience to do this project with him, and to me that was more valuable than owning the car from new, though that's been great too.

What's Really Great is being able to do it all over again now! It's still hard to believe that I can again say "New Shelby Mustang." I totally didn't ever expect to repeat this experience in any way, and I'm so thankful that Carroll Shelby has returned to building Mustangs. America, the Beautiful.

Roger

That is one sweet car! You and son did a nice job. I'm thinking you made the right choice back in the 70's to hold to that sweet machine. Sounds like having that quality time with your son has made the restore that much sweeter. For me, quality time is hard to come by now a days, I have two teenage girls who only want me to pick them up at the mall or school if I drive the Shelby. I also get see them when they need money. Congrats on your recent retirement. I still have a little ways to go but I just went over 21 years of military service and I just did a re-up for three more. :rolleyes: I'm assigned to a very cool aviation unit with outstanding soldiers to serve along side and if thats not enough, the part time pay helps pay for the GT500. Best of luck to you and your son with your Shelby's and future projects.

Ken

No, Ken...YOU are the Man! The vast majority of us out here do not have the honor that you possess in being able to serve our country for an entire career. I know I speak for millions when I say: Thank you.

I can only imagine that it must be an outstanding job to serve in any capacity, but particularly in aviation. I am a pilot and one of my instructors was ex-military, back in the '70's. He was the best of any I ever flew with. I admire and envy you in your job and your role in helping to preserve our country.

Every single day that I live, I appreciate all of the patriots who've served from the revolution to now, so that I and our parents and our children can live in freedom. Without all that they did, we wouldn't be thinking about enjoying our Shelby Mustangs.

Roger

'67 GT500

Piper Cherokee

No, Ken...YOU are the Man! The vast majority of us out here do not have the honor that you possess in being able to serve our country for an entire career. I know I speak for millions when I say: Thank you.

I can only imagine that it must be an outstanding job to serve in any capacity, but particularly in aviation. I am a pilot and one of my instructors was ex-military, back in the '70's. He was the best of any I ever flew with. I admire and envy you in your job and your role in helping to preserve our country.

Every single day that I live, I appreciate all of the patriots who've served from the revolution to now, so that I and our parents and our children can live in freedom. Without all that they did, we wouldn't be thinking about enjoying our Shelby Mustangs.

Roger

'67 GT500

Piper Cherokee

Thank you Roger. Our troops and I really appreciate your support. Fellow aviation people like us live in a small world no matter if your military or not. I have learned during my aviation career that there's this natural bond that aviation people have. I'm sure you understand what I'm talking about. If by chance we ever have the oportunity meet, I would like to reserve a ride in your Piper Cherokee. Thanks again Roger for your continued support of our troops. The american family and way of life is worth protecting IMO. I have no regrets.

Ken

Roger, thank you for sharing your awesome stories and awesome pic of the car.

Ken, my family and I thank you very much for your service and our freedom.

While I'm at it, Carroll, Amy and the gang, thank you for bring this experience back to all of us who missed out the first time around. I was born in 66 so I obviously never would have the experience Roger had, but I do have a pic of me standing in front of my mother's 67 Lime Coupe Mustang when I was about 5 years old. I've missed out on a few chances to purchase Shelby's over the years due to one reason or another. This time, I wasn't going to let it pass me up again.

Forum contributors, thanks for sharing all of your experiences and allowing me to be part of them.

Thanks again all of you.

Roger, thank you for sharing your awesome stories and awesome pic of the car.

Ken, my family and I thank you very much for your service and our freedom.

While I'm at it, Carroll, Amy and the gang, thank you for bring this experience back to all of us who missed out the first time around. I was born in 66 so I obviously never would have the experience Roger had, but I do have a pic of me standing in front of my mother's 67 Lime Coupe Mustang when I was about 5 years old. I've missed out on a few chances to purchase Shelby's over the years due to one reason or another. This time, I wasn't going to let it pass me up again.

Forum contributors, thanks for sharing all of your experiences and allowing me to be part of them.

Thanks again all of you.

aodwyer, Thank you very much. We are the 60's babies of the vintage Shelby era. As a young kid in the early 70's there was one family in our neighborhood who had a 65 rag top. His son and I were on the same baseball team so when we had a Saturday game he would take us in the stang with the top down. At 9 yrs old, it was the best car on the planet. From my teenage years to adulthood, I owned many mustangs but never a Shelby. I sold a few stangs for a song and a dance, Yes I'm still kicking myself but now like so many of us are new Shelby owners for the first time. Its a really good feeling when your cruising down the highway and a car full young kids pull up wanting a chance at the title with that bright colorful import with the oversized muffler. It just took one down shift (fifth to fourth) and by the time I looked up in the rear view, the import was to small to see as they blended in with all the other traffic. It was a good day for me because that morning I had just installed the CAI kit from JLT with the custom tune and I had the Shelby out for a test run. I hope this is the first of many memories to come. For Roger and aodwyer, thanks guys its been great sharing with you both and everone here on the forum. Enjoy your Shelby's and most of all, MAKE SOME MEMORIES! :)

Archived