TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Send In The Clones

old guy

Its a unfortunate side effect of the car being popular and being named as it is the parts to build your own are going to be available so some people are going to go for the look if nothing else. The non consecutive vin number deal is going to make this a freaking mess for anyone trying to buy a used one later on. If Ford does what some of the folks here want and do a certificate for each car produced it will give folks something to work with. Some people are going to do the mod for themselves others to make money off it. I have no problem with someone doing whatever they want to their car its theirs to enjoy how they want. The people that may do this to make money are going to go try and make a car that can pass as a GT500 to sell to someone who doesn't know the difference. Those people need to be dealt with a certificate from Ford and a listing with the SAAC makes it harder to fool someone. But a car thats totaled because of damage can be a great donor car to someone really determined.

That's like having a blow up girlfriend and not the real deal...it is SICK!!! :hysterical:

:hysterical2:

I also noticed that one of them (maybe both) are using pix that are, defacto, copyrighted unless they took them themselves or obtained permission. Plus, someone is knocking off Ford designed and engineered parts -- both totally illegal. If Ford wants to go after people these would be the folks to prosecute.

Ford, are you listening? :)

It's interesting that their sub title says "ALL ORIGINAL FACTORY FORD SHELBY GT 500 PARTS!!"

This is all the more reason to get and save as much original documentation as you can. Just put whatever you get in a shoebox somewhere and put it away. I'm not implying that the car will appreciate rapidly (PLEASE! - let's not get into that again!) but without documentation the car may be passed over by an interested buyer in the future. While I don't feel the car will appreciate dramatically if at all, I do believe there's gonna be a boatload of fakes out there.

Edited because we're talking about cars, not cats and my fingers are gaining weight.

It's interesting that their sub title says "ALL ORIGINAL FACTORY FORD SHELBY GT 500 PARTS!!"

This is all the more reason to get and save as much original documentation as you can. Just put whatever you get in a shoebox somewhere and put it away. I'm not implying that the car will appreciate rapidly (PLEASE! - let's not get into that again!) but without documentation the car may be passed over by an interested buyer in the future. While I don't feel the car will appreciate dramatically if at all, I do believe there's gonna be a boatload of fakes out there.

Edited because we're talking about cars, not cats and my fingers are gaining weight.

I think you are very wise. Provenance will be important on this car.. good catch on the "orig factory...parts" quoate. Make you wonder where they're coming from. I seacrched through SEMA member business profiles and couldn't find anything (wanted to see if it could somehow be legit aftermarket parts) but can't find anything yet specific to the GT500.

PS - GT500 would be a good nick-name for a cat tho and has the added side benefit of possibly heralding some cars in the evening :hysterical:

I think you are very wise. Provenance will be important on this car.. good catch on the "orig factory...parts" quoate. Make you wonder where they're coming from. I seacrched through SEMA member business profiles and couldn't find anything (wanted to see if it could somehow be legit aftermarket parts) but can't find anything yet specific to the GT500.

PS - GT500 would be a good nick-name for a cat tho and has the added side benefit of possibly heralding some cars in the evening :hysterical:

I wouldn't worry, in order to fool a buyer you would need to also change the engine, tranny, brakes, interior. That aint going to happen and isn't the VIN specific to the model? Anyone who buys a fake would deserve it.

Careful what your saying...a GT500 cat...that means it has stipes...THE LAST CAT I SAW WITH STRIPES WAS A.....SKUNK!!! :hysterical2:

I met one of those 'cats' once on my back porch. Tomato juice and Oxygen chamber worked pretty well except I still can't wear that suit when it rains out -- wheew!

Maybe that fits to -- it was engineered by Ford's SVT 'skunkworks' :)

I don't think so. I believe it is specific to the body style but I could be wrong. Besides, VIN's can be faked and titles acquired when a car is redone, especially if it's a wreck.

Then I guess I can insure my Shelby as a V6 and my insurance comnpany will never know? Didn't work for my 96 Cobra and I don't think it will this time either.

Then I guess I can insure my Shelby as a V6 and my insurance comnpany will never know? Didn't work for my 96 Cobra and I don't think it will this time either.

As I said, you might be right. I don't know. But do whatever you want. I'm keeping any documentation I can find.

I don't think so. I believe it is specific to the body style but I could be wrong. Besides, VIN's can be faked and titles acquired when a car is redone, especially if it's a wreck.

The Shelby engine code in the VIN is unique. While a fake certainly can (and probably will) be attempted by someone in the near future, it definitely won't be a simple matter of slapping on body parts.

The Shelby engine code in the VIN is unique. While a fake certainly can (and probably will) be attempted by someone in the near future, it definitely won't be a simple matter of slapping on body parts.

I agree. And if it does happen, it'll probably be a vehicle that needs major work to begin with. All the more reason to keep your documentation should this become a problem down the road, in my opinion... in my opinion... in my opinion... in my opinion... in my opinion... in my opinion...

Did I say "in my opinion?"

Its a unfortunate side effect of the car being popular and being named as it is the parts to build your own are going to be available so some people are going to go for the look if nothing else. The non consecutive vin number deal is going to make this a freaking mess for anyone trying to buy a used one later on. If Ford does what some of the folks here want and do a certificate for each car produced it will give folks something to work with. Some people are going to do the mod for themselves others to make money off it. I have no problem with someone doing whatever they want to their car its theirs to enjoy how they want. The people that may do this to make money are going to go try and make a car that can pass as a GT500 to sell to someone who doesn't know the difference. Those people need to be dealt with a certificate from Ford and a listing with the SAAC makes it harder to fool someone. But a car thats totaled because of damage can be a great donor car to someone really determined.

I've gottin Cert.s for both my Cobras. :woohoo:

Andrew@SVT told me we were getting them with our Shelbys

when I asked about Signature motors going in our Cobras :rockon:

The VIN code for a Shelby is like this:

1ZVHT88S775207784

The T88 (coupe) or T89 (convertible) tells you it's the real deal.

Ratnacage is correct

also the 1ZVHT tells you it has side air bags

a lot of mustangs have 1ZVFT which means NO side air bags. All shelbys come standard with them

another give away is the 8th digit which in case is S for Shelby 5.4 S/C

the 6 cyl cars and 4.6 have different engine code

You may fool someone by the initial looks but way to many diffs to make even a decent fake

Run the VIN number anywhere & it tells you what the car is. With out the proper vin check digit it will not work. Insurance companies, carfax, and a zillion other sources have the VIN info.

Archived