TEAM SHELBY FORUM

quaility isuues

dmagner1

Ya I got my S-GT 2 days ago I noticed a little paint defect in a couple spots and will be taking it to the local dealer which will hopefully work directly with Shelby or the Ford Racing Dep. to get it fixed but this is a new project and by no means do I ever think that Shelby auto would ever let something on their vehicles slide. Yes we are buying this for the name and the little extra performance and I'm not trying to attack dmag but I think he may have over reacted everyone I've read about on these forums except one wants their car and whats them now and I'd say SAI and Ford have done a great job of getting these cars out fast. At the end of the day it is a Mustang but it is your specialty Mustang that only you and 5,999 others will ever get. I'm sure that all issues will get resolved as I have faith that as long as the letter SHELBY are on the back of my car I know someone will help me keep it looking and running perfect.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya I got my S-GT 2 days ago I noticed a little paint defect in a couple spots and will be taking it to the local dealer which will hopefully work directly with Shelby or the Ford Racing Dep. to get it fixed but this is a new project and by no means do I ever think that Shelby auto would ever let something on their vehicles slide. Yes we are buying this for the name and the little extra performance and I'm not trying to attack dmag but I think he may have over reacted everyone I've read about on these forums except one wants their car and whats them now and I'd say SAI and Ford have done a great job of getting these cars out fast. At the end of the day it is a Mustang but it is your specialty Mustang that only you and 5,999 others will ever get. I'm sure that all issues will get resolved as I have faith that as long as the letter SHELBY are on the back of my car I know someone will help me keep it looking and running perfect.

Where are these paint defects? On the Scoop?

Where are these paint defects? On the Scoop?

I found a small area of bubbles on the white stripe on the hood scoop (#596). I contacted Bud Mahoney at Shelby who responded overnight and advised me to go through my dealer, who is required to coordinate with Shelby. Shelby will dispatch a new scoop to be installed at the dealership. Seems reasonable to me. I will let you know if all goes smoothly. Otherwise I couldn't be happier.

Hello,

I have # 806 in white. although the strip situation on my car is not as bad as some I have actually seen. I still have some issues with bubbles on of the strip on the roof, on the hood scoop and on the back deck lid by the brake light the left side of the strip is 1/2 to 3/4 inch higher than the other side. How do we go about getting this corrected if we so choose?

I have not really gone over the car with a fine tooth comb, but best I can tell everything else looks great.

Skip

....yes fixing defects is a good response. However, craftmanship is judged by design and execution. The grill issue is poor craftmanship......One persons opinion.

I agree and I disagree. Every aftermarket grill is installed this way. Ths is the way we did it on the Hertz cars and we didnt see any negative. That said, we agree that it could be better and we have designed a new frame for all after market grills that fit the new Mustangs. It wasnt ready for this project, it will be ready soon.

That is the best answer I can give as we have done what everyone has done and found it to be unsatisfactory for our products

Amy

:D I would like to thank Bud at SAI for the new hood scoop!! It fits perfect. The gloss was a little duller just like the stripes. No more gaps between the scoop and the hood. It took me about an hour to change out hood scoops. The only thing guys is that if you are getting your hood scoops replaced by the dealer beware. The new scoop requires you to drill two holes in the front of the scoop. I didnt drill mine though. I just un screwed the old pop rivet out of the old one and installed it on the new scoop. I just wasn't crazy about drilling holes in the hood. Not only that you have to drill on the back side as well to get the nuts on the pop rivet. The hardest part was getting the two back bolts in. You just have to put some pressure on the back side of scoop while you run in the screw.I took this apon myself to do this because I didnt want some careless mechanic to scratch my fenders or any thing else. This car is kinda like my wife, DONT MESS WITH IT. I also received my scoop within a week. Just for info, on the back side of the scoop it has Shelby molded into the scoop. One other thing is that these scoop have alot of air bubbles/porse all over. This maybe why there are some pitts on the outside of scoop just like my old one. Other than that it also smelled just like the inside of the car. I love that smell of fresh paint. I know that sounds kinda weird. You will also need a helping hand to install.

• 4 weeks later...

What did you give your wife? Can you send me a bottle?

:lol:

hi i got mine a couple months ago # 258 in wa st my hood stripes had marks in them from shipping they were there when the car was delivered to dealer .at first the parts guy said there body shop wouldn't put them on to hard so i found a place , the parts guy said you pay for it and we well send the bill to shelby for a refund i was hot but kept my cool because the owner of the dealership is also a good friend , anyway i got mike smith # because he is owner of the striping co and called him he was really upset and said you call me when you get your car to the place to put the new hood stipes on and he would pay for them over the phone .so i was ok with that ,than the body shop called and said they had guy coming in to do the job what the body shop foreman had told the parts guy he wouldn't put stripes on he was talking about the gt500 because they are thicker than the shelby gt they are fixed and mike was kind enough to give me a extra set of stripes what a nice guy .my point is if you have a problem get hold of SAI for help they care about these cars and the work they did iam supper happy with my car and how good mike was to help me out .

Just about every new owner's post states the same (2) quality issues: 1) scoop installation and 2) exhaust rattle. Has SAI addressed these (2) obvious flaws and corrected them in future production. It doesn't sound like they have. After you wait 3-4 months for this car, the first thing you do not want to have to do is wait for a new scoop to be sent and then have it installed which requires drilling into the hood. The problem appears to be trying to install a flat based scoop on a slightly curved hood, and drawing it down as best as possible with (4) bolts. Obviously there is a design flaw in the scoop and as this has been brought to the attention of SAI by every new buyer, have they corrected this for cars now being produced? It sounds as though they are concerned when contacted and immediately send out the replacement, but why don't they correct this BEFORE the car leaves their plant? Being that these (2) issues have been raised repeatedly, I'm sure this is the first thing all future buyers are going to be looking for when going for their car. Why not correct it BEFORE it reaches the customer, especially when you KNOW the problem exists!!!

Just about every new owner's post states the same (2) quality issues: 1) scoop installation and 2) exhaust rattle. Why not correct it BEFORE it reaches the customer, especially when you KNOW the problem exists!!!

I know Amy and team have been busy with NYC etc., so until we hear from her again let me just say that, to be fair, the people with scoops that are perfect do not log in here and write "my scoop is perfect" posts. People with issues are usually the first to post and the most vocal. Just human nature. I can't say what is causing the scoop issues we've heard about but you can be sure when these are reported and returned someone is looking them to work out any issue in production. It may be that the issue doesn't appear for some time like when your new house settles and you get some cracks in the ceiling. At this point we don't know. The exhaust is another area that can slowly work itself loose etc., and I would trust that it too would be looked at.

I'm not trying to be an SAI apologist, just check out my rusty grill/hood bolts, post! Just that it's one thing to raise the issue but another to accuse SAI of ignoring it and until we hear from Amy, Bud, John, etc., I think we should hold off on that.

We're all getting a bit antsy and I totally understand the desire to see the long wait rewarded with the car we've dreamed about.

Hang in there...I'm sure Amy will sit down and go through these forums soon enough.

;)

Matt

The problem appears to be trying to install a flat based scoop on a slightly curved hood, and drawing it down as best as possible with (4) bolts. Obviously there is a design flaw in the scoop and as this has been brought to the attention of SAI by every new buyer, have they corrected this for cars now being produced?

Just for accuracy sake the original hood scoop that came with my SGT (and probably most all of them) was held down with eight (8) bolts not four (4).

I brought my specific scoop issue to Bud's attention and he quickly sent a replacement scoop with two additional stainless pan head hex bolts in an attempt to resolve the problem. This now brings the total to ten (10) bolts holding the hood scoop in place.

I find it hard to believe that this issue "has been brought to the attention of SAI by every new buyer". The scoop fitment is still a problem with my car and others, and I'm not particularly happy about it, but I would not jump to the conclusion that the other 1500+ SGT's have the same issue.

I can say that, in my case, through the whole pre and post buying experience SAI has been very responsive and has always tried to make things right. The overall level of quality with their modifications is very good.

From a customer service standpoint I would still rate SAI much higher than average compared to most other businesses.

I’m sure they are trying to resolve all of the reported issues ASAP since warranty claims and re-work is not a good business model for anyone.

Just for accuracy sake the original hood scoop that came with my SGT (and probably most all of them) was held down with eight (8) bolts not four (4).

I brought my specific scoop issue to Bud's attention and he quickly sent a replacement scoop with two additional stainless pan head hex bolts in an attempt to resolve the problem. This now brings the total to ten (10) bolts holding the hood scoop in place.

I find it hard to believe that this issue "has been brought to the attention of SAI by every new buyer". The scoop fitment is still a problem with my car and others, and I'm not particularly happy about it, but I would not jump to the conclusion that the other 1500+ SGT's have the same issue.

I can say that, in my case, through the whole pre and post buying experience SAI has been very responsive and has always tried to make things right. The overall level of quality with their modifications is very good.

From a customer service standpoint I would still rate SAI much higher than average compared to most other businesses.

I’m sure they are trying to resolve all of the reported issues ASAP since warranty claims and re-work is not a good business model for anyone.

Hmmm? Mine only has 4 bolts?

Hmmm? Mine only has 4 bolts?

Have you removed the hood blanket? On my car only the 4 middle bolts are exposed. Underneath the hood blanket you will probably see that two bolts are at the rear flange of the scoop and oversized holes are drilled in the hood frame to get to the bolts. The other two bolts are near the front. That makes 8 total by my count.

The hood blanket had to be removed and re-installed by SAI to install the scoop.

Have you removed the hood blanket? On my car only the 4 middle bolts are exposed. Underneath the hood blanket you will probably see that two bolts are at the rear flange of the scoop and oversized holes are drilled in the hood frame to get to the bolts. The other two bolts are near the front. That makes 8 total by my count.

The hood blanket had to be removed and re-installed by SAI to install the scoop.

Ok, Thats why. I did not try to remove the blanket and could not feel anything thier but i did not want to mare it. I just assumed it was only 4. Thanks for the info.......

Just about every new owner's post states the same (2) quality issues: 1) scoop installation and 2) exhaust rattle. Has SAI addressed these (2) obvious flaws and corrected them in future production. It doesn't sound like they have. After you wait 3-4 months for this car, the first thing you do not want to have to do is wait for a new scoop to be sent and then have it installed which requires drilling into the hood. The problem appears to be trying to install a flat based scoop on a slightly curved hood, and drawing it down as best as possible with (4) bolts. Obviously there is a design flaw in the scoop and as this has been brought to the attention of SAI by every new buyer, have they corrected this for cars now being produced? It sounds as though they are concerned when contacted and immediately send out the replacement, but why don't they correct this BEFORE the car leaves their plant? Being that these (2) issues have been raised repeatedly, I'm sure this is the first thing all future buyers are going to be looking for when going for their car. Why not correct it BEFORE it reaches the customer, especially when you KNOW the problem exists!!!

Brother,

I am not trying to cover up for anything or anyone. But consider this. This is not your production line at ford with robots doing all the welding, installing and striping etc... These are real people doing it by hand. I have waited as long as anyone and understand your frustration...(ordered dec. 6 2006). I am on my 3rd car payment. I also have been insuring it for 3 months.

All I guess I am saying is being a low #'s and hand built car, maybe we need to give them a little slack. Do you know that if ford did this car like all there other cars you would not be seeing any SGT;s for another 1.5 years! :D

I am sure they do whatever they can to address known problems when they know about them. They started this site, and you can bet they monitor it too. They are aware of the small problems we speak of. Anyway a year from now when all this waiting is over, all you will be sayin is "Thanks" when folks pay you comments on your car. Via con dios :D

I fully agree with you, cm198, SAI's response to all issues has been fantastic. All I'm asking is that hopefully they'll correct these problems on current and future production cars, as I'm sure they will.

hi mine sticks up off the hood on the front is that what we are talking about here

hi mine sticks up off the hood on the front is that what we are talking about here

Your scoop is nice and straight, what csm number is your car, assuming of course these cars are modified in numerical order one would assume the rippled hood scoop has been corrected, mine is 373, bud will be sending new one to the dealer to replace, but to be honest i really do not trust the dealer mechanics to do as good job as sai,. bud said ideally the hood should be removed to replace the scoop. anyone one know if hill-bank motorsport place irvine calif can do shelby warranty work like this? i'd feel much for comfortable

Exactly, thats what everyone seems to be referring to, that the scoop doesn't fit flush on the hood. It seems to be a recurring problem.

actually i think this post started to report the excessive rippling of the scoop on drivers side, the not sitting flush appears to be new issue from otherwise nice looking scoop at least compared to mine :)

I must be one of the lucky ones as I have none of the problems that people are complaining about. I also have #117 which I would assume to be a low #. My scoop has no ripples although it does slightly raise off of the hood as in the above pic, no bubbles in the stripes, I have no exhaust rattles, clings or clanks or any other issue. I the 800 or so miles we have driven the car, there have been no issues.

My hood pins are damaged but that is from the horrible dealership I bought from. Still waiting on replacements and still waiting on plates. Our dealer tags have expired and we are told "I'll check on it" or "come get another tag".

To top it all, I received the title to my Dodge Ram in the mail today showing a paid-for truck. This is the title to the truck I traded for the Shelby. Man, these guys really need to get their stuff together..

Acid rain all over my car. It looks like it sat next to a sprinkler system or something. Dealer is going to see if they can buff it out or am not accepting it. Also it looks like something was laid across one of the stripes on the trunk lid. Not sure if that can be buffed out or not. :mellow:

Your scoop is nice and straight, what csm number is your car, assuming of course these cars are modified in numerical order one would assume the rippled hood scoop has been corrected, mine is 373, bud will be sending new one to the dealer to replace, but to be honest i really do not trust the dealer mechanics to do as good job as sai,. bud said ideally the hood should be removed to replace the scoop. anyone one know if hill-bank motorsport place irvine calif can do shelby warranty work like this? i'd feel much for comfortable

hi my # is 258 bud emailed me today and is sending a fix iam not sure what it is he didn't saying anything about the hood being removed ..........

Hey, guys.

We are addressing every issue as it comes into us. We want this experience to be no less than a great one for every Shelby GT buyer.

We have been looking at the hood scoop and have made changes since the beginning. If need be, we will change it again. But right now, it looks like we have the problem resolved. Any scoops that are having fitment issues should be taken care of by your Ford Dealership.

Guys, the "acid rain" that you are talking about is not acid rain. It is hard water deposits. I had them on my car. DO NOT BUFF THE CAR. To remove the spots correctly, soak a towel and let the wet towel sit on the spots for about 5 to 10 minutes. The towel needs to be soaking wet, not damp. Remove the towel after a few minutes and then wipe dry. Try this before buffing the paint.

What were some of the other issues?

-John

Hey, guys.

We are addressing every issue as it comes into us. We want this experience to be no less than a great one for every Shelby GT buyer.

-John

- Rusting hood pins, specifically the screws, ring, and pin.

- Rusting grills (mostly along the edges)

These are issues with the Hertz cars after 1 year and we were wondering if anything with these parts had changed since. I posted some pics in another thread.

Thanks John!

John/Bud, what are people doing with their original hood scoop when you send them a replacement? Are they sending them back to you or are they keeping them?

As mentioned in my signature, I have a 2004 F150 that I will eventually paint to match my SGT. I would love to buy one of the SGT scoops and put it on my F150 (if it will fit). Since I don't need perfection on my truck, I would be fine with purchasing one of the returned scoops.

If they aren't being returned, and if anyone wishes to sell me their "imperfect" scoop, please PM me. Otherwise, SAI, please let me know if I can purchase one and let me know the price.

As a last resort, I know I can get one from Roush (or other) but naturally I would prefer the matching SGT one.

Thanks, Adam

Hey, guys.

-John

Are you using these:

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_...products_id=329

If not, and they are guaranteed not to rust, can we use these if we pay $$?

I just purchased #109 and so far the only issues I have seen are a slight bulge on the drivers side of the scoop and the hood latch pins. Both are minor problems and I will address them with the dealer on my next visit.

I'm not even sure I want the scoop fixed, to me it adds a little character to the car.

John/Bud, what are people doing with their original hood scoop when you send them a replacement? Are they sending them back to you or are they keeping them?

As mentioned in my signature, I have a 2004 F150 that I will eventually paint to match my SGT. I would love to buy one of the SGT scoops and put it on my F150 (if it will fit). Since I don't need perfection on my truck, I would be fine with purchasing one of the returned scoops.

If they aren't being returned, and if anyone wishes to sell me their "imperfect" scoop, please PM me. Otherwise, SAI, please let me know if I can purchase one and let me know the price.

As a last resort, I know I can get one from Roush (or other) but naturally I would prefer the matching SGT one.

Thanks, Adam

Hi all!!!!!

If I send out a replacement hood scoop, I add a return label for the old scoop. It has to be returned back to me. Sorry. This has to be like this. So far everybody has sent one back. IF, somebody decides to keep it, then my only other alternative--which most will not like--is you will have to return the scoop first before I send one out. The hood scoop is exclusive to the SGT and cannot be sold separately. Again, I am sorry.

If your hood scoop looks good, but the front is lifting. I have a 2 pan bolt kit that will fix the problem. But it does take a little time to do. Fist you have to remove the hood blanket. The you have to remove the first 2 "faux" studs from the front. Then you need to use a 1/8 drill bit to drill through the scoop, through the hood and through the lower hood brace. After doing that, you will need a 1/2 hole saw to drill (going up from the bottom of the hood) through the lower hood brace. BUT only though the brace. This will give you enough room to use a socket to tighten the lock nuts. Screw the 2 pan head bolts through the scoop and come up through the bottom and attach the lock nuts. Now, here's the important step----DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE NUTS!!! This WILL kink the hood. After you are done, replace the hood blanket and you should be all set!!!!!

Now, this is ONL the fix if your scoop looks good and the front is lifting. If you have this issue, email me at Budm@shelbyautos.com and I will send you out a repair kit. IF, you have other issues with your hood scoop, you will then have to contact you dealer and they will have to call the 800 number (on page 39 of the suppliment SGT warranty book) to set up a claim. They ill inturn contact me and I will send them out a new scoop.

Now as for the hood scoops. They have been improved . We are seeing alot less claims on them. The "bulge" on the side is virtually gone. The "pancakin" in the middle is gone and the front are now bolted down to keep the front from lifting.

Now you are aksing why has this all been done? It's because of you!!!! With out all of your input, we would never know of these issues. With all of your help, we are making changes for the better!!!!!!! With that said, I want to thank you all for all of your help. We are ll trying to make this better for all of you!!!!

Oh, the hood pins. The hood pins are all now stainless steel. I have not had anybody say that theirs have been rusting. On the GTH's, I was not in this position and I do not know what the material used on them was. I am sorry.

Again, if you have any issues or concerns that I can help you with, please, email me at Budm@shelbyautos.com Oh, one little tip on contcting me. It may be alot easier to email me. Trying to call and getting ahold of me may be difficult at times. It seems like I am always on the phone helping people out. But I can at least answer emails while I am on the phone. If you want me to call you, I will. Just let me know.

Again, I want to thank EVERYBODY for their help and support!!!!!!! Keep it coming and I'll do whatever it takes to help you!!!!!

Thank you again!!!

Bud

Archived