TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT Vehicle Title Question

Matt N.

Good question. Posted this here instead of the "Powered by Ford" Badge Topic where some folks were discussing the potential titling issue.

The question was "How is the Shelby GT titled?"

My Guess: It may vary by state, since it's up to each State DMV to issue a title when the vehicle is registered. However, since the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin comes from Ford (not Shelby), it will likely be titled as a Ford Mustang... Maybe Ford Mustang GT. Hence the importance of saving all your documentation.

That's the advantage of the Shelby Registry. If you're ever going to buy a used one (current or classic), in addtion to looking for the dash and under-hood plaques, give SAI a call and run the VIN by them to make sure it's the genuine article.

Perhaps those who've already had their SGT registered / plated / titled can reply.

The question was "How is the Shelby GT titled?"

My Guess: It may vary by state, since it's up to each State DMV to issue a title when the vehicle is registered. However, since the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin comes from Ford (not Shelby), it will likely be titled as a Ford Mustang... Maybe Ford Mustang GT. Hence the importance of saving all your documentation.

That's the advantage of the Shelby Registry. If you're ever going to buy a used one (current or classic), in addtion to looking for the dash and under-hood plaques, give SAI a call and run the VIN by them to make sure it's the genuine article.

Perhaps those who've already had their SGT registered / plated / titled can reply.

My car in Rhode Island is titled as a FORD Mustang.

It has everything to do with how your sales person fills out the sales paperwork and title application. If it is filled out to say "Mustang", then most likley so will your title. If it says "Mustang SGT", then most likley so will your title. If you feel the model is represented incorrectly, you may be able to submit a title correction. When I purchased my 85.5 SVO. the title said is was a "Mustang LX". I submittede a form to have the model name corrected and now it reads "Mustang SVO". I also did this same process to correct the incomplete VIN number (as shown on the title) for my IH Scout. Oh yea, I'm in Texas, other state's laws will vary.

It was treated no differently by ...my insurance company than another Mustang GT. The VIN number from Ford does not show any difference from a regular T82 body type Mustang GT.
And that is a problem. Folks, when you insure your new car, let your insurance agent know that it is modified. At that point, you can document the value of the modifications. Otherwise, if you have a claim, the insurance company will treat it as another Mustang.

If Shelby would issue a MSO, then it would be easier to track value. When I insured my CSX and GLH-S, I could easily show that my car was a Shelby and not a Dodge because they had Shelby MSO. Without an MSO, you are going to need documentation on what this car is. Easy for the new car buyer, but will cause problems in transferring to subsequent owners.

.....OK, now I am concerned about my insurance. I am not trying to start a debate I ask the following question for advice and I have started an insurance topic for my other questions.

Basically the production and sale of the Shelby GT is pretty similar to the Roush & Saleen Mustangs. A little more marketing and partnership from Ford but the overall process is the same.

How are the Roush and Saleen Mustangs titled?

Archived