TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Museum Delivery Impressions

lonnyreed

For those of us participating in the museum delivery, this thread is to post your thoughts and impressions. I understand that the first museum delivery day was last Friday, anyone?

I will be taking delivery at SAI on Friday the 23rd and have spent too much time on Google Earth planning the longest possible route home. Also, trying to find a hotel in Vegas where I can be sure my car is parked safely underground with a half a dozen security cameras trained on it.

I plan on this being one of the best days ever!!!!

LR66,

thanks for starting. What time on Friday? Could you bring somebody else? Did SAI call you to schedule? Do you know what number yet or are they keeping that a secret for the delivery? I couldn't get mine.

....must keep managing PSDS.

Friday at 10:00, I am taking my wife along to video everything and take pictures so I can post them here. (I will take my laptop as well so I can get them on as soon as possible) I called SAI on a different issue and when I gave them my VIN number they said it was done and we could schedule the pickup...

They are going to pick us up at the airport (now, that's service).

I guess I was too excited and forgot to ask about my number.

Unless it has changed there is a $500 fee for the museum delivery. It includes a tour of the museum, the factory, a lunch and they let you have $37,000 token of your visit when you leave. I am concerned about the break-in for my car. I will either trailer or I may take the long way home on Route 66 and avoid freeway driving. I am sure LR66 will give us a lot of details next week. There were two cars picked up this past Friday. Hopefully they are members and will post soon.

PS.

If you are going to do it, call SAI when you have a VIN. I know of one owner who didn't call in time and their car was loaded on a truck for the dealer.

Unless it has changed there is a $500 fee for the museum delivery. It includes a tour of the museum, the factory, a lunch and they let you have $37,000 token of your visit when you leave. I am concerned about the break-in for my car. I will either trailer or I may take the long way home on Route 66 and avoid freeway driving. I am sure LR66 will give us a lot of details next week. There were two cars picked up this past Friday. Hopefully they are members and will post soon.

PS.

If you are going to do it, call SAI when you have a VIN. I know of one owner who didn't call in time and their car was loaded on a truck for the dealer.

Amy,

Do you have a company store on site? Gift shop etc.? Might need to bring more $$$$

Amy,

Do you have a company store on site? Gift shop etc.? Might need to bring more $$$$

Matt,

I know I'm not Amy, but Yes, they do. I rented a GT-H while out in Vegas last December and drove it out to SAI's facility. The giftshop isn't very large, but it's definitely possible to rack up some frequent flier miles on the Visa card. There are some historic Shelby examples in the museum (Mustangs and the 1st Cobra) and the staff we met were all very nice.

Enjoy!

- Matt

Matt,

I know I'm not Amy, but Yes, they do. I rented a GT-H while out in Vegas last December and drove it out to SAI's facility. The giftshop isn't very large, but it's definitely possible to rack up some frequent flier miles on the Visa card. There are some historic Shelby examples in the museum (Mustangs and the 1st Cobra) and the staff we met were all very nice.

Enjoy!

- Matt

Thanks Matt!

Can anyone recommend a cheap, decent and safe (for the car) hotel to stay at? I'll be doing the same.

I need to research this some more as well, but if nothing else I will stay on base. I know it will be safe and secure there. Just not as nice for me and the wife as one of the nicer Hotels. Once I have a more solid date I do need to check on this. Most of the big hotels on the strip have parking decks and cameras but I know when I was there last time there were also a lot of beatings and break ins too.

:o

Guys,

Picked my car up at SAI on Friday.

Just have one piece of advice for all of you....

If you can make it happen, do whatever it takes and go to Vegas and participate in the museum delivery.

I had some unrealistic, high expectations of the experience, the people at Shelby met and exceeded every expectation I had. If you go...

Expect to be treated like a real VIP, not just a name tag that they give you, but they truly treat you like a VIP......actually, more like a celebrity. Thank you to everyone at SAI, you really made a dream come true for my wife and I, a true once-in-a-lifetime experience.

I've been debating for a couple of days if I want to give every detail of the experience. I think it was fun to not know exactly what was going to happen. Throughout this whole experience, from ordering the car, to checking the VIN tracker 100 times a day, to reading this forum nonstop, I have felt like an 8 year old kid waiting for Christmas. Friday was like waking up on Christmas morning, only I knew what santa was going to bring. The surprise was the experience. Kind of like not peeking before Christmas. ;) Eventually, the next guy or the next or the next will give all the details, but not me. :)

The tour of the factory is a fantastic experience, they show you how your car is built, they show you all of the parts they take off and what they are replaced with. For all that are worried about quality, let me just say this...these people take a HUGE amount of pride in their work. They have a crazy deadline to meet, they do have to rush if they are going to build 6,000 cars in the time alloted. But, from everything I saw there....and I'm sure I saw it all ;), there are no corners being cut. Our car had a tiny smudge on one of the fenders, I wouldn't have noticed it, at least not until I washed it for the first time. They made a big deal about it and took it back to the shop and returned it perfect. In my opinion, the car is perfect. Well done.

You leave with the following:

A HUGE GIFT....worth somewhere around 40K

A gift bag with some nice goodies.

A special gift from Gary, Amy and Carroll.

I will post more later, including some pictures, as we are about to get on to the last leg of our drive home. Which I also highly recommend, lots of stares, lots of "DAD LOOK, A SHELBY!!!"

lr 66.....where did you drive too? How was the ride? More info please for those of us who wait

We drove through Valley of Fire (John Walker's suggestion) as shown in the photo. Fun road about 10 miles out of town, lots of nice curves. (the car handles great) Takes you to Hoover Dam. Then along RT 66 to Flagstaff and north to the Grand Canyon. From there to Page, AZ and Glenn Canyon Dam. Then north (nice lonely roads to "open it up") to Zion Nat'l Park (more fun canyons to eat up and the car sounds awsome in the tunnels). From there up I-15 and home to Salt Lake City. We took 3 days and 1,000 miles to do it, lots of touring, stopping, sightseeing, and backroads. I think despite the miles of freeway driving we did a pretty good job with the break-in by making it a point to get off of the freeway in every small town along the way to "vary our speed".

People were pulling up beside us snapping photos the entire way. We parked at the Hoover Dam to see the sights and came back to windows covered in nose prints. This car turns heads.

Take a pretty lady with you, makes the trip much more enjoyable.

The guys in the photo are Gary Patterson (VP of SAI) on the left, the goofy guy in the black shirt is me, then Larry Duis (Museum Delivery Coordinator) and I'm sorry...terrible with names and I was a bit preoccupied <_< ...the guy on the right is the guy who takes you on the tour. Very nice guy, treated us like we were truly VIP's.

I would like to post more photos as we got some nice pics with the rest of the guys at SAI, some nice photos of the car along RT 66 and in Zions. It says I have reached the global space limit (any ideas?).

We drove through Valley of Fire (John Walker's suggestion) as shown in the photo. Fun road about 10 miles out of town, lots of nice curves. (the car handles great) Takes you to Hoover Dam. Then along RT 66 to Flagstaff and north to the Grand Canyon. From there to Page, AZ and Glenn Canyon Dam. Then north (nice lonely roads to "open it up") to Zion Nat'l Park (more fun canyons to eat up and the car sounds awsome in the tunnels). From there up I-15 and home to Salt Lake City. We took 3 days and 1,000 miles to do it, lots of touring, stopping, sightseeing, and backroads. I think despite the miles of freeway driving we did a pretty good job with the break-in by making it a point to get off of the freeway in every small town along the way to "vary our speed".

People were pulling up beside us snapping photos the entire way. We parked at the Hoover Dam to see the sights and came back to windows covered in nose prints. This car turns heads.

Take a pretty lady with you, makes the trip much more enjoyable.

The guys in the photo are Gary Patterson (VP of SAI) on the left, the goofy guy in the black shirt is me, then Larry Duis (Museum Delivery Coordinator) and I'm sorry...terrible with names and I was a bit preoccupied <_< ...the guy on the right is the guy who takes you on the tour. Very nice guy, treated us like we were truly VIP's.can you take museum delivery and ship it back

can you

I would like to post more photos as we got some nice pics with the rest of the guys at SAI, some nice photos of the car along RT 66 and in Zions. It says I have reached the global space limit (any ideas?).

Sounds awesome! You should just get an account at one of the major photo sharing sites and post all your pictures there! Drop us the URL!

http://www.flickr.com/

http://www.fotki.com/

Thanks!

-Jeff

Sounds awesome! You should just get an account at one of the major photo sharing sites and post all your pictures there! Drop us the URL!

http://www.flickr.com/

http://www.fotki.com/

Thanks!

-Jeff

The tour guy was Steve, he works with Gary and John in Sales. Congrats on the car, and thanks for the kind words...... :)

Amy

I had a diferent experience. Not really a museum delivery. I am having it delivered to my house. However I flew to Vegas just to see the cars in the shop.

I was met By John Walker originally from Texas. He introduced himself and told me to take the tour and that he would come back and give me the "Nickle tour". He took me out on the shop floor and he explained everything about the production, parts, etc... I got to put my hands on the parts and see under the cars on the rack. John is a sharp, informative man who makes you feel important. It is evident he likes his job. I believe he said something like "its a dream job". I mean I am just a guy buying a car but I felt like a high roller the way I was treated. He introduced me to alot of the employees that were there. Because the production people work 10 hour days they are off on friday.

So as you can see its not a museum pickup but was something I was glad I did. Everyone I came in contact with at Shelby was great.

That does it, LR66. I am going to Vegas to pick up the car and I will not again question the $500 charge. I had no idea they made it that good. But it does figure. The people I've met at SAI on my visit last month are first rate, from the showroom clerks to Gary Patterson, VP of Operations.

I can't wait to go get my new S-GT after it emerges from the Mod Shop with Paxton, gauges & sequentials.

Here's a pic of the "back lot." I'll bet one of those cars is for someone looking at this right now. Unfortunately, mine isn't schedule to be built until the last week of this month.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

I was passing through Vegas last Friday and stopped by SAI, they said there was going to be another museum delivery this week.....any of you??? If so, I wanted to move this to the top so you could tell us about it.

LR66

Since I am a rookie on ths site could someone please explain what the difference between a muesum delivery and a regular delivery is....Thanks

Redline7000,

Welcome. Shelby Autos has provided a program that allows you to pick your Shelby GT up at their factory in Las Vegas, The Museum Delivery. It includes a tour of the museum, factory, and a small $40K token of your visit. The delivery program takes place on Fridays and cost $500. If interested you should call Shelby Autos with your VIN number as soon as you get it. You can find the number on the contact us page.

Since I am a rookie on ths site could someone please explain what the difference between a muesum delivery and a regular delivery is....Thanks

Thanks...since I live in New York I will drive the 12 miles to my dealer when it arrives :) Is that a sign of getting older?

Archived