TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Modifications done at Las Vegas

p356a

My white 5 sp SGT is being built this week and I intend to call John tomorrow to discuss various modifications I want done to the car. I recently heard that if any mods are done at the Shelby factory ie CS6 hood, center guage cluster etc, the full purchase price of the car has to be paid to the dealer before any mods are done. Is this true, or can we simplly pay Shelby direct for the mods and pay for the car in full upon delivery?.I would hate to pay for the car in full some 6-8 weeks before I even see it.

Additonally, has anyone taken delivery of a SGT with the CS6 hood yet and if so what are you're thoughts as compared to the stock hood?

The pictures of the white cars look real great, they just reinforce my decision to get white. Keep them coming.

I had to pay for mine first. It seemed that it was more of a thing from SAI than my dealer. The reasoning is not modifying a car for somebody and then they don't purchase the car. Ask SAI and your dealer. Your experience may be different.

I would tend to agree with you... It would seem to me that once the car is sold then it would be sent to modification... Dealers wouldnt want someone modifying the car then backing out of the purchase at the last minute...

I would tend to agree with you... It would seem to me that once the car is sold then it would be sent to modification... Dealers wouldnt want someone modifying the car then backing out of the purchase at the last minute...

Thanks! that makes sense to me .

I had to pay for mine first. It seemed that it was more of a thing from SAI than my dealer. The reasoning is not modifying a car for somebody and then they don't purchase the car. Ask SAI and your dealer. Your experience may be different.

My experience maybe just another in a long line of misunderstandings, but my dealer said, do what you want and that will just add to the price of the car. Which is why he said on the purchase order he put "a minimum of $$$$$" rather than a set number. As he put it, "I don't know what you're going to have done and how that will effect the price." My dealer said any changes would be on the SAI sticker/nvoice. Which I think is VERY important for those of us doing this at SAI rather than at some local shop. I can buy the CS6 hood and have it put on but I want it done at SAI to keep the authenticity. For that we need documentation. Guess when I get to that point we'll see.

But this does point to the need to update the FAQ!

SAI should put an FAQ on Museum delivery and on Modifications on the web site. I see the same questions over and over and it seems there is a lot of confusion.

Matt,

I haven't heard of any plans to modify the sticker to show added options and I believe the sticker is pretty filled up with the description. Amy has said any options done at SAI will show in the registry. But with all due respect I am a little concerned that may not happen either.

Just got off the phone with my dealer and he said that any modifications I arranged with Shelby would have to be paid for directly to Shelby. I would only owe him MSRP on the car as was originally written up at the time of order. He would not expect payment on the car until it was delivered. Of course he has a $5,000 deposit which I'm sure will be real tough to get back if I have mods and change my mind about the car.

This arrangement is just fine with me ,but I hope it can be worked out with Shelby, with me paying them directly for the mods. I read in a previous post that Shelby is the one who expects the car to be paid in full before mods. I hope not. I'm looking forward to discussing this with John, who has been great to deal with so far.

Just got off the phone with my dealer and he said that any modifications I arranged with Shelby would have to be paid for directly to Shelby. I would only owe him MSRP on the car as was originally written up at the time of order. He would not expect payment on the car until it was delivered. Of course he has a $5,000 deposit which I'm sure will be real tough to get back if I have mods and change my mind about the car.

This arrangement is just fine with me ,but I hope it can be worked out with Shelby, with me paying them directly for the mods. I read in a previous post that Shelby is the one who expects the car to be paid in full before mods. I hope not. I'm looking forward to discussing this with John, who has been great to deal with so far.

Wow...what a difference in how dealers work. You may be right and Shelby may ask me to send them $$$ which is fine. But either my or your dealer is clueless. Which I will say is not their fault! I have yet to see the process outlined. What we need is a step-by-step "how to" with contact people (keep hearing about some guy John) and references to provide the dealer given Ford's dismal job.

This REALLY needs to be put down on paper (web) and articulated in a clear way that takes into consideration Ford dealership policies and procedures. For all I know we're BOTH right and it depends upon the dealer's willingness to float the amount.

BTW: I'm floored your dealer is holding $5,000 of your money for months. That's outrageous. I am also getting an MSRP deal and my deposit was $500. What does your dealer think? If you decide not to buy the car they're not going to be able to sell it or worse have to take $5,000 off the sticker? Ugh....

Wow...what a difference in how dealers work. You may be right and Shelby may ask me to send them $$$ which is fine. But either my or your dealer is clueless. Which I will say is not their fault! I have yet to see the process outlined. What we need is a step-by-step "how to" with contact people (keep hearing about some guy John) and references to provide the dealer given Ford's dismal job.

This REALLY needs to be put down on paper (web) and articulated in a clear way that takes into consideration Ford dealership policies and procedures. For all I know we're BOTH right and it depends upon the dealer's willingness to float the amount.

BTW: I'm floored your dealer is holding $5,000 of your money for months. That's outrageous. I am also getting an MSRP deal and my deposit was $500. What does your dealer think? If you decide not to buy the car they're not going to be able to sell it or worse have to take $5,000 off the sticker? Ugh....

You're dealer may be clueless but mine definitely is . Anything he knows about the car he learned from me. When I first approached him about the car in Dec he did not even know the car existed. I don't think it's too much to ask that a Ford dealer do a a little product research regarding a car they will be selling. Where else does the consumer know much more about the product than the selling dealer, as seems to be the case with this car.

As fo leaving him a 5,000 deposit it was the only way he would sell the car for MSRP and he was the only dealer around willing to do that regardless of deposit. I wanted the car so I had no choice.

I totally agree that there should be a clear protocol regarding having mods done at Shelby. This way there would be consistency and much fewer questions.

You're dealer may be clueless but mine definitely is . Anything he knows about the car he learned from me. When I first approached him about the car in Dec he did not even know the car existed. I don't think it's too much to ask that a Ford dealer do a a little product research regarding a car they will be selling. Where else does the consumer know much more about the product than the selling dealer, as seems to be the case with this car.

As fo leaving him a 5,000 deposit it was the only way he would sell the car for MSRP and he was the only dealer around willing to do that regardless of deposit. I wanted the car so I had no choice.

I totally agree that there should be a clear protocol regarding having mods done at Shelby. This way there would be consistency and much fewer questions.

Interesting.......I have been trying to work with my dealer regarding additional modifications (supercharger...etc.). They are telling me that the car must be delivered to the dealership first and then I would have to ship the car back to SAI from CT. I have been working with SAI and my dealer on this for about 3 weeks.......I am seriously considering pulling out. How is it that some dealers will at least work with the customer on this and others are flat out saying no way. If you are already spending $40K +/- then to me you should get what you want. There defiintely needs to be a step by step process established so that people can get what they want.......otherwise the customer and SAI loose.........does not impact the dealer.

Interesting.......I have been trying to work with my dealer regarding additional modifications (supercharger...etc.). They are telling me that the car must be delivered to the dealership first and then I would have to ship the car back to SAI from CT. I have been working with SAI and my dealer on this for about 3 weeks.......I am seriously considering pulling out. How is it that some dealers will at least work with the customer on this and others are flat out saying no way. If you are already spending $40K +/- then to me you should get what you want. There defiintely needs to be a step by step process established so that people can get what they want.......otherwise the customer and SAI loose.........does not impact the dealer.

What the dealer is worried about is that you wont pay thier rediclous adm, and they dont want a modded car. So try to offer to pay for the car once it is built, that way they dont have to worry bout you backing out

What the dealer is worried about is that you wont pay thier rediclous adm, and they dont want a modded car. So try to offer to pay for the car once it is built, that way they dont have to worry bout you backing out

Shipping the car back and forth? Nope that won't work.

I found out that the dealer has all the paperwork on the car once it is shipped from Michigan to Les Vegas. If your car is in Vegas, then the dealer should already have the title, sticker etc.... and all the paperwork necesssary for you to buy the car, even though it is still in Vegas. My plan is to montior the car and once it has finished the Shelby process, I will sit down with my dealer and do the paperwork to own the car.

I was told by John of SAI that once my car goes through the Shelby process, I would need to puchase the car from the dealer and send them documentation of ownership (probably receipt and registration) before they will modiify the car with the S/C and other accessoires.

That is how I understand the process. I haven't discussed how the payment will work with the mods but I was told that SAI accepts plastic as well as checks.

I found out that the dealer has all the paperwork on the car once it is shipped from Michigan to Les Vegas. If your car is in Vegas, then the dealer should already have the title, sticker etc.... and all the paperwork necesssary for you to buy the car, even though it is still in Vegas. My plan is to montior the car and once it has finished the Shelby process, I will sit down with my dealer and do the paperwork to own the car.

I was told by John of SAI that once my car goes through the Shelby process, I would need to puchase the car from the dealer and send them documentation of ownership (probably receipt and registration) before they will modiify the car with the S/C and other accessoires.

That is how I understand the process. I haven't discussed how the payment will work with the mods but I was told that SAI accepts plastic as well as checks.

I definitely feel as though I am getting the "run around". I asked if I could purchase the car outright once it is shipped to SAI.....answer no. The car needs to come back to the dealership, be inspected......etc. Has anyone in CT worked out the modification issue with their dealer? Also, the dealership has refused to give me the VIN to the car.......so I do not know at what stage the car is in (still in Detroit...already shipped..) are there specific requirements for CT such that the car must be delivered to the dealer first?? I am getting a sinking feeling on this as I seem to be spinning my wheels. Any advice, thoughts.....etc.

It may be necessary for you to pay for the car entirely before they do the mods because one of the mods is a SC. I've been told that if a supercharger is installed the car cannot go back to the dealer but rather must be delivered directly to you because of EPA and emissions concerns, so the car must be paid for in advance. However I'm thinking that if the mods are such[no supercharger] that the car can be delivered to the dealer[no EPA consequence] pre payment may not be necessary.

I definitely feel as though I am getting the "run around". I asked if I could purchase the car outright once it is shipped to SAI.....answer no. The car needs to come back to the dealership, be inspected......etc. Has anyone in CT worked out the modification issue with their dealer? Also, the dealership has refused to give me the VIN to the car.......so I do not know at what stage the car is in (still in Detroit...already shipped..) are there specific requirements for CT such that the car must be delivered to the dealer first?? I am getting a sinking feeling on this as I seem to be spinning my wheels. Any advice, thoughts.....etc.

If you have an order form from them, then you don't need the VIN to track the car. All you need is some information on the "Vehicle Order Confirmation" . PM and I'll give you more info.

Yes.... I would be careful because of their refusual to let out any information, such as the VIN on the car. They may be playing you and others to see what they can get once the car comes in. I'm sure the dealership could care less about the S/C because it isn't something that they can make money on.

If you have an order form from them, then you don't need the VIN to track the car. All you need is some information on the "Vehicle Order Confirmation" . PM and I'll give you more info.

Yes.... I would be careful because of their refusual to let out any information, such as the VIN on the car. They may be playing you and others to see what they can get once the car comes in. I'm sure the dealership could care less about the S/C because it isn't something that they can make money on.

Thanks for the input.....are you in R.I.?? If yes....good to commuinicate with someone close by.....I have been trading emails back and forth with John at SAI (good man..) and the dealer to try and get by the whole delivery issue. Still spinin........let me know if I we can speak one on one via phone....as you seem to have been able to cross the bridge with the dealer on mods. I put the order in on 1/24 and I don't know how much time I have before shipping to SAI (do not have the knowledge to track the car w/out the VIN).......thanks for the insight....

Thanks for the input.....are you in R.I.?? If yes....good to commuinicate with someone close by.....I have been trading emails back and forth with John at SAI (good man..) and the dealer to try and get by the whole delivery issue. Still spinin........let me know if I we can speak one on one via phone....as you seem to have been able to cross the bridge with the dealer on mods. I put the order in on 1/24 and I don't know how much time I have before shipping to SAI (do not have the knowledge to track the car w/out the VIN).......thanks for the insight....

Guys, you have to pay for the car upfront with the dealer before any mods with us so that we can ship the car to your home, or you can do museum pickup. We can not legally do mods to a car that is not "owned" All mods are done by us and discussed directly with us.

if you want to mod you car, pay for it then work out pickup or delivery with John, Most dealers are being helpful.

Amy

Guys, you have to pay for the car upfront with the dealer before any mods with us so that we can ship the car to your home, or you can do museum pickup. We can not legally do mods to a car that is not "owned" All mods are done by us and discussed directly with us.

if you want to mod you car, pay for it then work out pickup or delivery with John, Most dealers are being helpful.

Amy

Amy, thank you. How do I convince the dealer to let me buy the car ahead of time? It is frustrating to try and pursue options/modifications when the dealer is blocking you. I have offered to pay for the car when it is delivered to SAI. I have been told that I can not due this that the car MUST be delivered to the dealer first. I have sent an EMAIL to John (he has been great to work with) and to the dealer/sales rep. to try and have them speak directly. What are my options here.......am I at the mercy of the dealer on this? I have said this before...the customer (being me) and SAI are the parties that loose out (I don't get the opportunity to explore options and SAI looses out on additional revenue/profits) on this. Intuitively, it bothers me to spend hard earned money.... and still not be able to get what you want. Amy, how would you approach this with the dealer?? What more should I be doing that I am not??

Amy, thank you. How do I convince the dealer to let me buy the car ahead of time? It is frustrating to try and pursue options/modifications when the dealer is blocking you. I have offered to pay for the car when it is delivered to SAI. I have been told that I can not due this that the car MUST be delivered to the dealer first. I have sent an EMAIL to John (he has been great to work with) and to the dealer/sales rep. to try and have them speak directly. What are my options here.......am I at the mercy of the dealer on this? I have said this before...the customer (being me) and SAI are the parties that loose out (I don't get the opportunity to explore options and SAI looses out on additional revenue/profits) on this. Intuitively, it bothers me to spend hard earned money.... and still not be able to get what you want. Amy, how would you approach this with the dealer?? What more should I be doing that I am not??

What would help, and I will say it again, is a definitive document from SAI that could be presented to a dealer that outlines the process. Forum entries are fine and good, and i appreciate the effort, but this process would be far smoother and John's time much more productive, if you would just out this down of SAI letterhead and get it out here for download. It's was hard enough to get a dealer to understand how to buy this car and this whole process, or lack there of, is only adding insult to injury.

I am a product manager and here, if I were the PM for this, is what I would set out to do ASAP.

1. Create a "Buyers Guide". This would detail the ordering process from a customer/dealer perspective. i would enlist my Ford counterparts help so that we reference processes and use terms understood by dealers and customer's alike. This document should also have an addendum of checklists for BOTH the dealer and the customer that leads them through the ordering process and options.

2. Create a "What's Next Guide". This short guide will outline the process from the point the order is placed until it reaches the final customer. It will outline what happens to the car, what is done by whom, and how to monitor and check the status of your vehicle as it moves from sheet-metal to the customer's garage. Again, not detailed just an overview from Flat Rock to the customer.

3. Create a "Shelby Options Guide". This document will outline the different SAI installed options and how to order. It will provide guidance to both the customer and the ordering dealer. I will detail any dependencies and requirements and if needed a checklist for the customer to ensure as pleasant buying experience as possible. This guide should also cover programs such as museum delivery and how SAI mods are treated in the registry and what documentation is provided for future authentication needs. I would comb these forums and find the areas of concern or question and make sure these were addressed as well.

Again, as a PM, my goal is two fold. First to make sure people can give us money. I want it to be simple and easy to the extent we can make it. People shouldn't have to fight or jump through hoops to help finance my paycheck. Second I want to reduce anything in the pre and post-sales process that reduces our margin due to a high volume of calls or repeated actions by staff. The goal is always to reduce calls and reduce workload that can be better utilized elsewhere for exceptions or high value projects.

For example: My silly CS6 hood and rear deck spoiler should be a simple no-brainer. I shouldn't have to interact with anyone! These are two examples of items that should be able to support a repeatable and replicatable (my word) buying and installation process. They are low revenue but should be high margin and we can do that if we keep costs down and reduce the amount of work needed. Someone like John and focus on high revenue generating projects like super chargers etc.. The "Shelby Options Guide" should have an easily faxed order form for these kinds of easy modifications where, hopefully, customers will just start shopping and adding to it! In this case the order process encourages buying rather than making it an obstacle to the sale. That's something we just can't have.

Lastly, as a PM, I would have set a goal of XX% incremental revenue of each car. That means I need to do the above or the challenge will be great. Keeping in mind that it's much easier to load up the trunk with Shelby goodies than install a SC and the process should recognize that.

Ok....have at it!

What would help, and I will say it again, is a definitive document from SAI that could be presented to a dealer that outlines the process. Forum entries are fine and good, and i appreciate the effort, but this process would be far smoother and John's time much more productive, if you would just out this down of SAI letterhead and get it out here for download. It's was hard enough to get a dealer to understand how to buy this car and this whole process, or lack there of, is only adding insult to injury.

I am a product manager and here, if I were the PM for this, is what I would set out to do ASAP.

1. Create a "Buyers Guide". This would detail the ordering process from a customer/dealer perspective. i would enlist my Ford counterparts help so that we reference processes and use terms understood by dealers and customer's alike. This document should also have an addendum of checklists for BOTH the dealer and the customer that leads them through the ordering process and options.

2. Create a "What's Next Guide". This short guide will outline the process from the point the order is placed until it reaches the final customer. It will outline what happens to the car, what is done by whom, and how to monitor and check the status of your vehicle as it moves from sheet-metal to the customer's garage. Again, not detailed just an overview from Flat Rock to the customer.

3. Create a "Shelby Options Guide". This document will outline the different SAI installed options and how to order. It will provide guidance to both the customer and the ordering dealer. I will detail any dependencies and requirements and if needed a checklist for the customer to ensure as pleasant buying experience as possible. This guide should also cover programs such as museum delivery and how SAI mods are treated in the registry and what documentation is provided for future authentication needs. I would comb these forums and find the areas of concern or question and make sure these were addressed as well.

Again, as a PM, my goal is two fold. First to make sure people can give us money. I want it to be simple and easy to the extent we can make it. People shouldn't have to fight or jump through hoops to help finance my paycheck. Second I want to reduce anything in the pre and post-sales process that reduces our margin due to a high volume of calls or repeated actions by staff. The goal is always to reduce calls and reduce workload that can be better utilized elsewhere for exceptions or high value projects.

For example: My silly CS6 hood and rear deck spoiler should be a simple no-brainer. I shouldn't have to interact with anyone! These are two examples of items that should be able to support a repeatable and replicatable (my word) buying and installation process. They are low revenue but should be high margin and we can do that if we keep costs down and reduce the amount of work needed. Someone like John and focus on high revenue generating projects like super chargers etc.. The "Shelby Options Guide" should have an easily faxed order form for these kinds of easy modifications where, hopefully, customers will just start shopping and adding to it! In this case the order process encourages buying rather than making it an obstacle to the sale. That's something we just can't have.

Lastly, as a PM, I would have set a goal of XX% incremental revenue of each car. That means I need to do the above or the challenge will be great. Keeping in mind that it's much easier to load up the trunk with Shelby goodies than install a SC and the process should recognize that.

Ok....have at it!

Thanks, all good suggestions and I will see about implimenting some of these.

But on this car, because of the way it is set up, and the size we are, it isvery simplistic. We just werent ready for the Mods, we are getting better but we have a long way to go.

also, I cant offically offer mods on this car, big dealers are used to this practice, the smaller ones aren't. You have to go to the dealer and pay for the car, then work with us to get the options and delivery.

Thanks again, I appreciate the suggestions....and the patience

Amy

Thanks, all good suggestions and I will see about implimenting some of these.

But on this car, because of the way it is set up, and the size we are, it isvery simplistic. We just werent ready for the Mods, we are getting better but we have a long way to go.

also, I cant offically offer mods on this car, big dealers are used to this practice, the smaller ones aren't. You have to go to the dealer and pay for the car, then work with us to get the options and delivery.

Thanks again, I appreciate the suggestions....and the patience

Amy

Thanks Amy! It's easy to be a back seat driver. ;-) I appreciate the response and understand how often success can be a double edged sword at times all the best!

Archived