TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brake package help

ShelbyPilot

I need some advice and opinions. I have long been confused why I would put a performance brake package on a car only to have that performance degraded by 20" wheels. Unless I am missing something 20" equates to a heavier wheel and larger centrfical force. That requires more braking force and energy to heat conversion to stop the wheels. However, I figured no problem, the 20" wheels look all right especially if I can get the American Racing GT40 wheel. Now today separate sources are qouting the price for the 20" GT40 wheel at $1600 per wheel. I am going to confirm tommorow but that has led me to start thinking outside of the Shelby box.

I am getting a supercharger and really believe I need better brakes. Underbraked is the one reoccuring complaint about the GT-Hs.

Now I think I might use another manufacturers brake package. I would like opinions and recommendations. I don't plan to sell this car so does it matter much to go away from the Shelby purity of parts. I don't think I would use a company that makes their own speciality Mustang (ie. Roush & Saleen). Ford racing is advertising the SVT 14" brake package. It is essentially the GT500 brakes from Brembo, the picture shows a Brembo caliber. $500 less than Shelby. Why not just go with a Brembo package? The Shelby package is a rebranded Baer package. Why not just go with the Baer package that says you need a 17" wheel or larger? Why does the Shelby version need 20"? What other companies are out there I should consider?

I am seriously looking for opinions and advice. I have been thinking about this all night. Thanks in andvance.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

We tried a 19" wheel on our 14" rotors and big calipers, it wouldn't fit. It was close, and on some other wheel styles it might barely fit, but we opted to use the 20" wheel when the big brakes are involved. That way fit isn't an issue.

We tried a 19" wheel on our 14" rotors and big calipers, it wouldn't fit. It was close, and on some other wheel styles it might barely fit, but we opted to use the 20" wheel when the big brakes are involved. That way fit isn't an issue.

Rich,

Which 19" wheel style did you use? What was the offset? What didn't fit the offset or the diameter? I have ordered the 19" X 9.5" American Racing GT40 (40th Anniversary) wheel. I would like to buy the Shelby brake package. However, they obviously have to fit. If they won't fit I will use the SVT/Brembo package sold by FRPP.

Thank You,

Chris

I'm very interested in this topic also. However, I'd be interested in what folks are going to do for a brake upgrade if they just want to keep the stock 18 inch wheels. Right now I'm thinking pads, rotors, stainless lines?

But... any suggestions on other options would be great. The FRPP brakes can use a 18 inch wheel, but it needs to be the GT500 wheel, which must have a different offset.

Archived