TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tinting windows

gt500hp

I am concerned about the windows on the coupe. When the door closes, the window will automatically go up approx another 3/4 of an inch to seal air tight.

My question is how can this be circumvented when installing tint on the windows. If it is allowed to go up and down when the doors open and close, this will cause problems until the tint has been allowed to dry and cure for at least two days. :shrug:

Please offer suggestions. :sos:

You only need to find a pro tinter. I had my 350Z done a year ago - same window deal - and he said it's just knowing how to do it. He did it! No problems. $250 for the tint - including a nice dark 4" top of windshield strip.

You only need to find a pro tinter. I had my 350Z done a year ago - same window deal - and he said it's just knowing how to do it. He did it! No problems. $250 for the tint - including a nice dark 4" top of windshield strip.

[/quote

Thanks for your input! That's kinda what I thought, " Its been done before" Just have to find a really good tint man that does many highline cars and I"ll be fine. :rockon:

I am concerned about the windows on the coupe. When the door closes, the window will automatically go up approx another 3/4 of an inch to seal air tight.

My question is how can this be circumvented when installing tint on the windows. If it is allowed to go up and down when the doors open and close, this will cause problems until the tint has been allowed to dry and cure for at least two days. :shrug:

Please offer suggestions. :sos:

Or you could pull the ckt-breaker for the power windows possibly ?

Interesting issue.

When I posted this question on the 350Z boards, a lot of folks Up North said these windows that scoot down are a problem in the winter. I'm presuming the window feature is designed to lessen wear and tear on the rubber seals. But to me, it's just something else that can get screwed up and cause pain and suffering at the dealer. :bandance:

I noticed this when I looked at a Mustang at a dealer the other day. My observation was that the window has to do that in order for the door/window to shut properly...if it doesn't scoot down, then the window gets hung up on the lip of the weather strip. So, disabling that feature won't work 'cause your window will not fit into the weatherstrip (...it will end up hitting the outside of the weatherstrip and be bowed outward).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but that's sure what it looked like to me. One of the cars I looked at didn't scoot the window down (maybe the battery was dead?)...and the door/window did not shut and seal entirely.

generally the tint issue is not a problem. If the tint is done by even a mildly competent tinter, it's simply not an issue. don't worry about it.

the scoot feature is not designed to minimize wear and tear on the weather stripping. It's designed to allow the window to tuck into the stripping to reduce wind noise which mimics having a full door frame.

Interesting issue.

When I posted this question on the 350Z boards, a lot of folks Up North said these windows that scoot down are a problem in the winter. I'm presuming the window feature is designed to lessen wear and tear on the rubber seals. But to me, it's just something else that can get screwed up and cause pain and suffering at the dealer. :bandance:

The window is designed this way to aid in closing the door. Our T-Bird has the same system. When the door is closed with the window in the full up position the car is so air tight that the pressure in the car rises enough to keep the door from closing using normal force. The window drops a fraction of an inch when the door is opened and the small opening allows the air to escape when the door is closed. Once the door is closed the window raises up. We opened and closed a door at the dealership with a dead battery and we really had to slam it to get it to shut with the window up. I would imagine it could also wreak havoc on your eardrums if you were inside the car.

Ha. Reminds me of my 1967 VW Bug!

Same issue.

Matter of fact - I think they had a commercial where they drove one into a lake - and it floated for a while!

Yes they did. In fact, National Lampoon Magazine also ran a similar ad. The caption said something like "If Ted Kennedy were driving a Volkswagen he'd be President Today." They had to pull it pretty quickly. I understand it's a collector item today.

Edit: You can find anything on the internet!

http://homepage.mac.com/mr_bingley/.Pictures/tedvwsmall.jpg

Ha. Reminds me of my 1967 VW Bug!

Same issue.

Matter of fact - I think they had a commercial where they drove one into a lake - and it floated for a while!

Good place to drive!

Good thing it only floated for a while!

. :hysterical2:

Not to change the subject, still window tinting...

I curious about the window guide that scratches the aftermarket window tint when the window rolls up & down. ¿Is there a replacement felt window guide?

JB

JESSE BOLT I had the same problem the wife and i have a 05 honda accord i had the windows tinted by a pro. The tint was actually cut out by a computerized machine. The tint job came out flawless. whithin a week the tint was scratched badly becuse of the felt strips which are not used anymore . I was not aware that the new cars are made without the felt strips. I dont know if all of the new cars are all the same maybe someone could tell us here. I hope the mustangs are being built with the window felts, because i plan to tint the windows 35%on the GT500 when i finally get it .

JESSE BOLT I had the same problem the wife and i have a 05 honda accord i had the windows tinted by a pro. The tint was actually cut out by a computerized machine. The tint job came out flawless. whithin a week the tint was scratched badly becuse of the felt strips which are not used anymore . I was not aware that the new cars are made without the felt strips. I dont know if all of the new cars are all the same maybe someone could tell us here. I hope the mustangs are being built with the window felts, because i plan to tint the windows 35%on the GT500 when i finally get it.

I'm like you 'STSVT', I plan to add aftermarket window tint and I don't want to find out the hard way, the window guides are scratching the aftermarket window tint. I'm not sure what type of window guides are used in the new Mustangs. I read on another Mustang forum where someone was complaining about the same thing as what happened to your 05 Honda Accord. I never got an answer about replacement felt window guides. That's why I'm raising the question here.

JB

Bump around on Brad's site

I curious about the window guide that scratches the aftermarket window tint when the window rolls up & down. ¿Is there a replacement felt window guide?

JESSE BOLT I had the same problem the wife and i have a 05 honda accord i had the windows tinted by a pro. The tint was actually cut out by a computerized machine. The tint job came out flawless. whithin a week the tint was scratched badly becuse of the felt strips which are not used anymore . I was not aware that the new cars are made without the felt strips. I dont know if all of the new cars are all the same maybe someone could tell us here. I hope the mustangs are being built with the window felts, because i plan to tint the windows 35%on the GT500 when i finally get it .

Go to The Mustang Source.com and guess what...43 threads on window tinting. Less rumor, more personal experiance :poke::read:TMS/window tinting

¿How about this link? It saves time by going straight to the answer of preventing aftermarket window tint from getting scratched.

http://www.automoleskin.com/ford.htm

Now I'm going to share the answer on the other forum.

JB

JB - Give Professional Glass Tinting a call in Greenville - they did my Z and will do my Mustang.

That's who I use. I haven't talked with them about the new Mustangs as I don't have mine yet. I did want the answer so I'd know what I was talking about before I presenting it to them.

I use to get Coachworks outside of Grimesland to do my window tinting. The guy whom did their tinting, related to them, supposedly had some problems and gave up window tinting.

Thanks for the suggestion,

JB

Man!

Why oh why did I post that pic of the polished blower in the pink engine compartment? :banghead:

Keep it up - I'll have to drive up there and do burnouts in front of your house! :rockon:

JB - I suggested calling them because I figured they'd done some '05 & '06 Mustangs and knew about it.

I've had zero issues with the tint job on my Z. I was very impressed with them.

Ford Racing 4.10 ring & pinion in a box in my office!

This week - the headers, springs, and Bassani should keep the FedEx guy hopping!

Week after - the Rims! Woo Hoo! :happy feet:

Man!

Why oh why did I post that pic of the polished blower in the pink engine compartment? :banghead:

Keep it up - I'll have to drive up there and do burnouts in front of your house! :rockon:

JB - I suggested calling them because I figured they'd done some '05 & '06 Mustangs and knew about it.

I've had zero issues with the tint job on my Z. I was very impressed with them.

Ford Racing 4.10 ring & pinion in a box in my office!

This week - the headers, springs, and Bassani should keep the FedEx guy hopping!

Week after - the Rims! Woo Hoo! :happy feet:

RUFDRAFT you must of have been a good boy this year, santa is visiting you early,or the cookies and milk at your house are the best ever.Maybe the cookies are laced with some of those woodstock era ingredients you have been saving. (lol)

¿How about this link? It saves time by going straight to the answer of preventing aftermarket window tint from getting scratched.

http://www.automoleskin.com/ford.htm

Now I'm going to share the answer on the other forum.

JB

That's who I use. I haven't talked with them about the new Mustangs as I don't have mine yet. I did want the answer so I'd know what I was talking about before I presenting it to them.

I use to get Coachworks outside of Grimesland to do my window tinting. The guy whom did their tinting, related to them, supposedly had some problems and gave up window tinting.

Thanks for the suggestion,

JB

Thanks JESSE BOLT for the link i hope the mole skin felts are easy to install . Dont forget if we have to take off the door panels there are the side airbag sensors located in the doors . the first thing is to disconnect the battery. Static electricity can also set the sensors off from what i hear, dont know about this, also the side air bags are charged with nitrogen which are in the seats . I hope we dont have to take the door panels off but something is telling me we do. THANKS AGAIN .

STSVT - a good boy? Yep. Part-time jobs allow me to play a little. Once these modifications are done - that'll be it for the GT. No braided hoses - or oil coolers - or such. Just a few things to make this one mine. :shift:

STSVT - a good boy? Yep. Part-time jobs allow me to play a little. Once these modifications are done - that'll be it for the GT. No braided hoses - or oil coolers - or such. Just a few things to make this one mine. :shift:

You go Bryan, you can custom talor the gt just as you like .

BRYAN dont forget to keep us posted i may order a mustang gt as well, i cant afford the gt 500 at this point with all of the dealer mark ups THANKS

Archived