TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Paxton Supercharger

ADG

Is it true that having SAI install the Paxton Supercharger voids the Ford Warranty?

the supercharger has its own warrenty and it only voids the ford warrenty if you abuse the car and it is proven that the abuse of the SC ruined the car

Amy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to this forum as I just ordered my Shelby GT. It hasn't been serialized yet. The salesmanager who is a good friend of mine said that there was a silver blue stripe option.That's what I ordered, white body color. I have never heard of a silver blue color stripe! Is there a stripe of that color? I also read where somebody was ordering theirs with a super charger. Is that from Carroll Shelby or some other vender? If it's from CS I would like to add this option to mine! thanks for any reply. You can e-mail me at : Roboto1720@sbcglobal.net thanks

I'm new to this forum as I just ordered my Shelby GT. It hasn't been serialized yet. The salesmanager who is a good friend of mine said that there was a silver blue stripe option.That's what I ordered, white body color. I have never heard of a silver blue color stripe! Is there a stripe of that color? I also read where somebody was ordering theirs with a super charger. Is that from Carroll Shelby or some other vender? If it's from CS I would like to add this option to mine! thanks for any reply. You can e-mail me at : Roboto1720@sbcglobal.net thanks

Welcome.

To answer your first question, no the only stripes available are silver, there is no "silver blue stripe" Only what you see in the pictures on this site

The second question. Yes you can order a supercharger. The parts page is found here

http://www.shelbyautos.com/MustangParts3.asp

Just want to add my additional two cents on the S/C questions that have been going around the Forum. I have talked with SAI and my dealership about installing the supercharger S/C on my SGT. After careful deliberations, I am going to forestall the installation of the S/C for the following reasons. First – Warranty issues, Ford will not warrant the S/C installation on the SGT it IS NOT an approved Ford modification. Unlike the GT-500 S/C which is a Ford production line installation. Second - I have been told that IF there are any performance issues with the SGT power plant w S/C installed, the owner will have to prove it is not the fault of the S/C before any warranty service is performed.

Paxton will warrant the S/C but not Ford. It is like you had “Joe’s Garage” install an after market performance part – we the owners, take the risk.

Anyway, just wanted everyone to read the nother side of the S/C questions, below are the comments from my dealership. I have been buying my Fords from them for 15 years all at or below MSRP. “1995 F150, 4x4, 1999 F250 HD,4x4 Power Stroke, 2002 F350 HD, 4x4 Power Stroke, and now the 2007 Shelby GT.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got off the phone with SAI and had some discussions with the owner of our dealership earlier today. A few thoughts:

The modifications performed by SAI to convert a GT Mustang to a Shelby GT Mustang have been authorized by Ford. These are the modifications, detailed to some degree on their website, for which they charge $7,390. If you should have a serious motor problem, (i.e. spun bearing, broken connecting rod) or any other type of problem covered by warranty during the warranty period, no worries. Even though the car is not a stock GT, the mods were authorized by Ford and the car was sold through an authorized Ford dealer. They fix it.

The installation of the Paxton supercharger and gauge package by SAI is not a part of the Shelby GT conversion authorized by Ford. The supercharger is covered by a limited warranty by Paxton (not Ford or SAI). Let's say you had the same type engine failure discussed above. Ford could say that the motor failure was caused by the supercharger. If you were to have a supercharger failure, Ford would have to go thru Paxton for parts, repair info, and warranty reimbursement. The difference between this and the GT 500 Cobra is the Cobra is built by Ford with the supercharger. In fact, as I understand it, you could buy the car, take it to Joe's garage, have the supercharger installed and as far as Ford is concerned it's no different than an SAI installation. They're both non factory modifications that could void your warranty.

Again, as I understand it, the reason SAI will not ship cars that are modified above and beyond the "approved" mod package directly to the dealer is probably a potential dealer liability issue. The reason you have to pay for the car before SAI will do additional mods is because that way the dealer is relieved of potential liability issues. We delivered to you (at least on paper) a Shelby GT Mustang with only the mods approved by Ford. From that point on, you own it. If you want to have Joe's Garage or SAI modify it that's up to you. If we were to deliver it to you with a supercharger, I think a lawyer could argue that constituted an implied warranty by Ford on the supercharger since we are an authorized Ford dealer.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the supercharger, but I do see at least the potential of some warranty issues down the road. If you do opt for the additional mods, we can't deliver it through the dealership.

Give me a shout when you get a chance and we can kick it around some more.

P.S. Fords schedule showed a slip in ETA at SAI from 25 Feb to 2 March

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand- to some degree- how you feel, gor256.

But if it were me, I would buy the S/C option in a heartbeat! The car without the S/C does 0-60 in 5 seconds flat. I'm sure you will be happy with that. That's quicker than a Ferrari 308!

But me............I think it's well worth the 'risk'. In fact, I think there is nearly no risk. Amy & Co. have rigorously tested this beast. They actually could have pulled more from the motor, but decided to hold back to a 'safe' limit. To me, this would be the ultimate street killer....and it would surely outhandle the GT 500!

Just my 2 cents...

So how can dealerships selling Roush Stage 3's, 427R's etc. claim to have "full factory warranty" on their S/C 4.6L and Shelby not be able to offer the same?

You know this comment makes perfect sense also, could of, should of, would of, etc. I think when it comes to warranty issues, your relationship with the selling dealer ultimately gives your preferential treatment.

I think the quote from 66FB2+2 makes a valid point. We have a guy here in Texarkana that blew up his COBRA and Ford wouldn't warranty the factory supercharger because they allege some type of extra modifications.

I suspect that if SAI installed it and the supercharger failed, Paxton would be billed and they would reimburse the repairing dealer for labor and parts. One never knows, I guess we wait until someone blows one of these Shelby Mustangs up and I'm sure someone will and we'll here about it on this site and how SAI & Ford handles it with a supercharger.

I had a cold air induction problem with my CDC Shaker Installation, which was installed by the local dealer and they did a warranty on a minor engine adjustment and didn't even blink. Again I think it just boils down to what the selling dealer is willing to do for you.

Just my thoughts.............

No doubt a good relationship with a dealer can help in a lot of situations. However, I doubt that a service dept. would be able to warrant anything that they would not be reimbursed for by Ford or SAI or Paxton especially since any sort of failure in this area could potentially cost thousands.

So how can dealerships selling Roush Stage 3's, 427R's etc. claim to have "full factory warranty" on their S/C 4.6L and Shelby not be able to offer the same?

66FB2+2 - It depends on the contractual arrangement between Ford Motor Company and the conversion shop. I guess with the GT-500 Ford did not want Shelby to provide another Mustang that would compete with the GT-500 in the hp area. Also, I think there may be a return of the GT-350 or Mach-1 in the very near future. gor256

I understand- to some degree- how you feel, gor256.

But if it were me, I would buy the S/C option in a heartbeat! The car without the S/C does 0-60 in 5 seconds flat. I'm sure you will be happy with that. That's quicker than a Ferrari 308!

But me............I think it's well worth the 'risk'. In fact, I think there is nearly no risk. Amy & Co. have rigorously tested this beast. They actually could have pulled more from the motor, but decided to hold back to a 'safe' limit. To me, this would be the ultimate street killer....and it would surely outhandle the GT 500!

Just my 2 cents...

crispy23c' – you are probability right, but for now I want my down home local dealership to deliver the SGT to me. Later I’ll look around for a local shop to do the install, maybe even send it back to SAI, who knows. See you on the road gor256

You know this comment makes perfect sense also, could of, should of, would of, etc. I think when it comes to warranty issues, your relationship with the selling dealer ultimately gives your preferential treatment.

I think the quote from 66FB2+2 makes a valid point. We have a guy here in Texarkana that blew up his COBRA and Ford wouldn't warranty the factory supercharger because they allege some type of extra modifications.

I suspect that if SAI installed it and the supercharger failed, Paxton would be billed and they would reimburse the repairing dealer for labor and parts. One never knows, I guess we wait until someone blows one of these Shelby Mustangs up and I'm sure someone will and we'll here about it on this site and how SAI & Ford handles it with a supercharger.

I had a cold air induction problem with my CDC Shaker Installation, which was installed by the local dealer and they did a warranty on a minor engine adjustment and didn't even blink. Again I think it just boils down to what the selling dealer is willing to do for you.

Just my thoughts.............

GG104 – thanks for your thoughts, I thought I was going to be blasted on this posting. See you on the road – gor256

PS - Still may do the S/C install, later after I get the car.

66FB2+2 - It depends on the contractual arrangement between Ford Motor Company and the conversion shop. I guess with the GT-500 Ford did not want Shelby to provide another Mustang that would compete with the GT-500 in the hp area. Also, I think there may be a return of the GT-350 or Mach-1 in the very near future. gor256

crispy23c' – you are probability right, but for now I want my down home local dealership to deliver the SGT to me. Later I’ll look around for a local shop to do the install, maybe even send it back to SAI, who knows. See you on the road gor256

GG104 – thanks for your thoughts, I thought I was going to be blasted on this posting. See you on the road – gor256

PS - Still may do the S/C install, later after I get the car.

Here is the basic issue....

Roush and Saleen buy the cars from Ford, sell them to the dealers. We do not own the cars, we are a pass thru from Ford to the dealers, Sort of like we work with or for Ford. We can not do a SC and ship to the dealer because the car would have to be cert and EPA. too much work and $$$ for a part upgrade. We do warrent it and so does paxton. we also offer a home delivery

Hope this helps.

I am purchasing a SGT from a dealer that already had the car ordered. I would like to add the S/C options but my dealer says he can't do this as its not an approved options from Ford. I see where some people are doing this......Have they already made the purchase on the car and doing this on there own or are these cars still owned by Ford and the buyer will make the purchase after delivery. According to the Vin tracker the car I am buying has not arrived at SAI. Any comments would be appreciated....

timmyer,

You have two options. First, If you want the supercharger installed by Shelby and you have a VIN call them today. You will then have to purchase the vehicle from your dealer and arrange delivery or pick up with Shelby. They will either ship the car directly to you (not the dealer) or you can pick the car up through the Museum delivery at SAI in Vegas. Either will cost you $500.

The other option is to take delivery of your car from your dealer. Then purchase the supercharger from Shelby or one of their authorized dealers and have the supercharger installed locally.

You can not order the supercharger through your delaer and then pick it up as a usual option. That would have required additional EPA and crash testing. If you have the VIN and want to do this call right away. I know of two owners who didn't call soon enough and their cars left SAI before they were flagged.

I am purchasing a SGT from a dealer that already had the car ordered. I would like to add the S/C options but my dealer says he can't do this as its not an approved options from Ford. I see where some people are doing this......Have they already made the purchase on the car and doing this on there own or are these cars still owned by Ford and the buyer will make the purchase after delivery. According to the Vin tracker the car I am buying has not arrived at SAI. Any comments would be appreciated....

You need to buy the car from the dealer. Then call Shelby (SAI.) and have the SC installed. You will have to pay $500 to get the car shipped to your home, or pick it up in Vegas.

randy

Roush and Saleen buy the cars from Ford, sell them to the dealers. We do not own the cars, we are a pass thru from Ford to the dealers, Sort of like we work with or for Ford. We can not do a SC and ship to the dealer because the car would have to be cert and EPA. too much work and $$$ for a part upgrade. We do warrent it and so does paxton. we also offer a home delivery

Hope this helps.

Amy,

Is there any way that you could ellaborate on your comment "We do warrent it and so does paxton"? Is this on just the supercharger itself, or would SAI cover, say, damage to the bottom end of the motor, transmission or rear end if Ford were to pass the buck regarding such during the factory warranty period? Also, what is the duration of SAI's and Paxton's warranties?

Any chance that you'd also cover rear tire life after a SC install (heaven knows that I'd take full advantage of this coverage!)??? :lol:

Thanks.

With the success of the Hertz and SGT programs, have you considered doing 500 cars with out the constraints of Ford? I would love to see a production CS6 sold through a select Shelby dealer network.

robin

We have thought about it, but right now, it's not an option, maybe someday...

Amy

Hope this helps.

SAI Amy - I think I understand. It just would have made life it a whole lot easier of us to have SAI do the S/C install since you already have the car and have the Ford warranty included with the S/C as part of the SAI conversion of the Mustang GT to the SGT.

What I have read is the Paxton Supercharger (S/C) is already smog legal for CA. If it passes CA emissions, the other 49 should be easy. Would it really have cost that much to certify the Paxton S/C?- gor256

The 2006 Ford Performance Parts catalog clearly states on page 42 with the four options for Mustang superchargers shown that if installed it voids the Ford engine warranty. I doubt the 2007 catalog language has changed? Sorry to be the barer of bad news. Don't kill the messenger. Maybe Paxton will replace the engine if something happens? But Ford will not.

Shelby Autos is installing Paxton superchargers for about $5,500 with everything, but you have to get your order in before they get started in Vegas and then wait.

However, the 2006 Ford Performance Parts catalog clearly states on page 42 with the four options for Mustang superchargers shown that if installed voids the Ford engine warranty. I doubt the 2007 catalog language has changed?

Amy of Shelby Autos says Paxton will repair your engine/SC if there are any problems due to regular use with no abuse indicated after an inspection. Sounds a little scary to me. Bottom line is you lose the Ford engine warranty by adding a supercharger.

Just want to add my additional two cents on the S/C questions that have been going around the Forum. I have talked with SAI and my dealership about installing the supercharger S/C on my SGT. After careful deliberations, I am going to forestall the installation of the S/C for the following reasons. First – Warranty issues, Ford will not warrant the S/C installation on the SGT it IS NOT an approved Ford modification. Unlike the GT-500 S/C which is a Ford production line installation. Second - I have been told that IF there are any performance issues with the SGT power plant w S/C installed, the owner will have to prove it is not the fault of the S/C before any warranty service is performed.

Paxton will warrant the S/C but not Ford. It is like you had “Joe’s Garage” install an after market performance part – we the owners, take the risk.

Anyway, just wanted everyone to read the nother side of the S/C questions, below are the comments from my dealership. I have been buying my Fords from them for 15 years all at or below MSRP. “1995 F150, 4x4, 1999 F250 HD,4x4 Power Stroke, 2002 F350 HD, 4x4 Power Stroke, and now the 2007 Shelby GT.

Just got off the phone with SAI and had some discussions with the owner of our dealership earlier today. A few thoughts:

The modifications performed by SAI to convert a GT Mustang to a Shelby GT Mustang have been authorized by Ford. These are the modifications, detailed to some degree on their website, for which they charge $7,390. If you should have a serious motor problem, (i.e. spun bearing, broken connecting rod) or any other type of problem covered by warranty during the warranty period, no worries. Even though the car is not a stock GT, the mods were authorized by Ford and the car was sold through an authorized Ford dealer. They fix it.

The installation of the Paxton supercharger and gauge package by SAI is not a part of the Shelby GT conversion authorized by Ford. The supercharger is covered by a limited warranty by Paxton (not Ford or SAI). Let's say you had the same type engine failure discussed above. Ford could say that the motor failure was caused by the supercharger. If you were to have a supercharger failure, Ford would have to go thru Paxton for parts, repair info, and warranty reimbursement. The difference between this and the GT 500 Cobra is the Cobra is built by Ford with the supercharger. In fact, as I understand it, you could buy the car, take it to Joe's garage, have the supercharger installed and as far as Ford is concerned it's no different than an SAI installation. They're both non factory modifications that could void your warranty.

Again, as I understand it, the reason SAI will not ship cars that are modified above and beyond the "approved" mod package directly to the dealer is probably a potential dealer liability issue. The reason you have to pay for the car before SAI will do additional mods is because that way the dealer is relieved of potential liability issues. We delivered to you (at least on paper) a Shelby GT Mustang with only the mods approved by Ford. From that point on, you own it. If you want to have Joe's Garage or SAI modify it that's up to you. If we were to deliver it to you with a supercharger, I think a lawyer could argue that constituted an implied warranty by Ford on the supercharger since we are an authorized Ford dealer.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the supercharger, but I do see at least the potential of some warranty issues down the road. If you do opt for the additional mods, we can't deliver it through the dealership.

Give me a shout when you get a chance and we can kick it around some more.

P.S. Fords schedule showed a slip in ETA at SAI from 25 Feb to 2 March

I agree this is a huge issue and not worth going into without all of the information. Shelby Autos is installing Paxton superchargers.

However, the Ford Performance Parts catalog clearly states on page 42 with the four options for Mustang superchargers shown that if installed voids the Ford engine warranty.

Amy of Shelby Autos says Paxton will repair the SC if there are any problems due to regular use with no abuse indicated after an inspection. Sounds a little scary to me. Bottom line is you lose the Ford engine warranty by adding a supercharger. That is a huge warranty to lose on a high performance car with a precarious set of rules from Paxton, where ever they are, to fall back on..

Hope this helps.

Amy

If the engine blows on the Shelby GT, with a Shelby Autos installed Paxton supercharger, no abuse is found after a Shelby Autos inspection in Vegas (how do you define "abuse"?); then Shelby will replace the blown engine, and Paxton will replace the supercharger? And Shelby Autos would cover delivery costs to and from Vegas for the repairs?

Shelby Autos is installing Paxton superchargers, but you have to get your SGT order in before they get started in Vegas and then wait.

However, the 2006 Ford Performance Parts catalog clearly states on page 42 with the four options for Mustang superchargers shown that if installed voids the Ford engine warranty. I doubt the 2007 catalog language has changed?

Amy of Shelby Autos says Paxton will repair your engine/SC if there are any problems due to regular use with no abuse indicated after an inspection. Sounds a little scary to me. Bottom line is you lose the Ford engine warranty by adding a supercharger.

I am awaiting my SGT which I ordered with an auto trans. Has anyone ever installed a SG on an auto transmission? Will the tranny hold up?

Thanks

Shelby Autos is installing Paxton superchargers for about $5,500 with everything, but you have to get your order in before they get started in Vegas and then wait.

Shelby Autos is installing Paxton superchargers for about $5,500 with everything, but you have to get your SGT order in before they get started in Vegas and then wait.

I do believe the S/C from SAI is 4700.00 plus 200.00 for the chrome and 1400.00 to install @100.00 per hour. So I don't know where your figures came from but the total we got was 6395.00.This price is from John @shelby. If you're going to add a S/C or any other mods have it done at Shelby. It is documented and comes with authenticity. We have been waiting since January. Be patient, good things come to those who wait.

If the engine blows on the Shelby GT, with a Shelby Autos installed Paxton supercharger, no abuse is found after a Shelby Autos inspection in Vegas (how do you define "abuse"?); then Shelby will replace the blown engine, and Paxton will replace the supercharger? And Shelby Autos would cover delivery costs to and from Vegas for the repairs?[/size] [/b]

Lucky,

Maybe SAI could replace the engine, replace the supercharger, fill the tank, wash the windows, pay for a flight to Vegas, put you up in a nice hotel, give you a Cobra 427 loaner car, have Carroll buy you dinner and .....

Give it a rest.

:P

.....I would also be very careful. I don't think it was clearly said SAI would replace the engine. Yes, I read all of thread where it was written. I believe she actually wrote that she has seen supercharger companies take care of it. However, nothing on this forum constitutes policy or guarantee. Amy has been misqouted, misinterperted, and even on occasion she has had typos and phrases that she later had to correct.

Bottom line, don't expect SAI to replace or repair the engine if you put an aftermarket engine on your car.

.......AND where is GT HERO........how about combining the 6 different threads about the supercharger..........

.....ugh, where is the emoticon with the smiley head banging against the wall......

Polished Supercharger......$4995 + installation $1400 == $6395

....and I think you are misqouting Amy that SAI will repair repalce a blown engine. She said she has seen supercharger companies take care of it. I read every threas in this Forum 3-4 times aday. If I missed this warranty please post the link and post #.

GTHERO or RICHS if possible please combine the 5-6 supercharger threads

Archived