TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sad Quest To Buy This Car

MattInDetroit

Ok...here for hopefully someone at Ford to see is my quest, in the large dealer saturated area of metro Chicago, to buy this car. My 3 week journey thus far is almost funny if were not for Ford's recent financial release. Based upon my best efforts and money to buy this car I can see why.

So here I am going crazy trying to find a dealer in Chicago that knows about this car! I have had to explain this to 7 dealers already where at least 3 have tried to tell me I am wrong and then trying to tell me I'm talking about the GT500. One salesman further told me that navigation was NOT an option on the Mustang. I swear it's no wonder Ford is having issues with dealers like this! Here we have a flagship brand product for the company, one they actually make money on, and their dealer salespeople have this little product knowledge? Tell me again their value?

Ugh....I want this car but getting someone to talk about it has been a chore. I am now waiting on two dealerships to "do some research" and have someone call me. uh huh...swell.I found a dealer willing to order their allocation, hadn't yet cause they didn't know it existed, with no mark-up! Yeah me! They said I'm the only person that's come in and asked about the car. Thank gawd for small town out of the city dealers! The other dealer I was waiting on called back and wanted $10K over MSRP. I was like thanks...cya!

BTW: Check out the dealer on ebay selling what he doesn't even have yet. This wack job dealer is showing pictures of the Hertz car and when it was pointed out that the stripes where silver has replied that he is waiting to hear back from his Ford Rep! Can these people read? Ugh...if my sales people had this level of knowledge and sold non-existent product, like the guy above, I would fire them. What if some poor sucker sees this and thinks he's getting the C6/8 hood, rear deck spoiler, etc. Oops! Sorry! :o

Ok...sorry back to my story and what seems never ending quest, to buy this car. The dealer that has told me just MSRP is STILL, after 4 days, trying to figure out the price and how to order. Waiting to hear back from their Ford Rep. I still have hope but decided to check another local large dealer. You know one of the guys you see on TV all the time with those annoying ads. Well, ss usual I got the GT500 run around and once I convinced the group of 5 idiots (aka salespeople sitting around the front desk) that this car existed, they again told me they would have to AGAIN check with their Ford Rep. <_<

Now here is where it gets funny...I asked if there was going to be some market adjustment tacked on and they where like "of course!". So looking the 5 idiots I said, "Why? You've had this allocation since December, none of you even know it exists, no one else has come in asking about it or looking to buy it, except me. So where is this "market" where things are so "hot" that you need to tack on an adjustment?" It was like this look of confusion. They had no answer. :blink:

Remember now I live in metropolitan Chicago. This is not a place where there are scarce potential buyers. But this car must be selling in the low numbers based upon my shopping so far 9 dealers, NONE of which had any knowledge of this car except for one where the owner ordered it, with automatic, duh, yet still none of he sales people or sales manager know about it! Just once I would love to walk into a dealership and upon asking about the Shelby GT have the salesperson say, "Sure, do you mean the SHelby GT500 or the Shelby GT?" I think I would pull my checkbook out right there! "Ford where product knowledge is job last"

Ok..done with my rant....I will update as my journey continues...

Ok...here for hopefully someone at Ford to see is my quest, in the large dealer saturated area of metro Chicago, to buy this car. My 3 week journey thus far is almost funny if were not for Ford's recent financial release. Based upon my best efforts and money to buy this car I can see why.

So here I am going crazy trying to find a dealer in Chicago that knows about this car! I have had to explain this to 7 dealers already where at least 3 have tried to tell me I am wrong and then trying to tell me I'm talking about the GT500. One salesman further told me that navigation was NOT an option on the Mustang. I swear it's no wonder Ford is having issues with dealers like this! Here we have a flagship brand product for the company, one they actually make money on, and their dealer salespeople have this little product knowledge? Tell me again their value?

Ugh....I want this car but getting someone to talk about it has been a chore. I am now waiting on two dealerships to "do some research" and have someone call me. uh huh...swell.I found a dealer willing to order their allocation, hadn't yet cause they didn't know it existed, with no mark-up! Yeah me! They said I'm the only person that's come in and asked about the car. Thank gawd for small town out of the city dealers! The other dealer I was waiting on called back and wanted $10K over MSRP. I was like thanks...cya!

BTW: Check out the dealer on ebay selling what he doesn't even have yet. This wack job dealer is showing pictures of the Hertz car and when it was pointed out that the stripes where silver has replied that he is waiting to hear back from his Ford Rep! Can these people read? Ugh...if my sales people had this level of knowledge and sold non-existent product, like the guy above, I would fire them. What if some poor sucker sees this and thinks he's getting the C6/8 hood, rear deck spoiler, etc. Oops! Sorry! :o

Ok...sorry back to my story and what seems never ending quest, to buy this car. The dealer that has told me just MSRP is STILL, after 4 days, trying to figure out the price and how to order. Waiting to hear back from their Ford Rep. I still have hope but decided to check another local large dealer. You know one of the guys you see on TV all the time with those annoying ads. Well, ss usual I got the GT500 run around and once I convinced the group of 5 idiots (aka salespeople sitting around the front desk) that this car existed, they again told me they would have to AGAIN check with their Ford Rep. <_<

Now here is where it gets funny...I asked if there was going to be some market adjustment tacked on and they where like "of course!". So looking the 5 idiots I said, "Why? You've had this allocation since December, none of you even know it exists, no one else has come in asking about it or looking to buy it, except me. So where is this "market" where things are so "hot" that you need to tack on an adjustment?" It was like this look of confusion. They had no answer. :blink:

Remember now I live in metropolitan Chicago. This is not a place where there are scarce potential buyers. But this car must be selling in the low numbers based upon my shopping so far 9 dealers, NONE of which had any knowledge of this car except for one where the owner ordered it, with automatic, duh, yet still none of he sales people or sales manager know about it! Just once I would love to walk into a dealership and upon asking about the Shelby GT have the salesperson say, "Sure, do you mean the SHelby GT500 or the Shelby GT?" I think I would pull my checkbook out right there! "Ford where product knowledge is job last"

Ok..done with my rant....I will update as my journey continues...

Same problem I had. I arrived at my local Ford dealer in late August of 2006 to a dumbfounded sales team. They kept thinking I wanted a GT500. I gave them the info on the Shelby GT and they thought I was confused, not them. They slowly started to understand ( a little ) what the car was all about only because I told them.

As far as dealers wanting more than MSRP, I simply tell them I'm not interested in doing business with them at all. Let them have the car sit on their showroom floor but make it a point to "stop by" with your new Shelby GT that you didn't buy from them and show them your invoice for MSRP! I'm sure the price for these cars will come down over time. Just be patient. Good Luck!

Same problem I had. I arrived at my local Ford dealer in late August of 2006 to a dumbfounded sales team. They kept thinking I wanted a GT500. I gave them the info on the Shelby GT and they thought I was confused, not them. They slowly started to understand ( a little ) what the car was all about only because I told them.

As far as dealers wanting more than MSRP, I simply tell them I'm not interested in doing business with them at all. Let them have the car sit on their showroom floor but make it a point to "stop by" with your new Shelby GT that you didn't buy from them and show them your invoice for MSRP! I'm sure the price for these cars will come down over time. Just be patient. Good Luck!

The msrp dealer might be running you around. All he has to do is order it just like any other mustang, add option 54u and put 88WKH7 on the ship to line. Not exactly rocket science. If he is still not sure tell him to go to FMC dealer and type shelby gt in the search box. Read the 2 articles that start with: Shelby GT Final Pricing ... & 2007 Shelby GT Mustang - Information ...

The msrp dealer might be running you around. All he has to do is order it just like any other mustang, add option 54u and put 88WKH7 on the ship to line. Not exactly rocket science. If he is still not sure tell him to go to FMC dealer and type shelby gt in the search box. Read the 2 articles that start with: Shelby GT Final Pricing ... & 2007 Shelby GT Mustang - Information ...

Jim, thanks I actually have a copy of the Ford Dec 4th letter and FAQ. They're still confused. Honestly they are so clueless I don't think they are, YET. Even at the dealer that has one actually ordered they are so clueless they think the car is coming to their dealership on Feb 6th. The VIN isn't even at SAI! They have confused the Ford ship date to Las Vegas, I tried to tell them but gave up. Buying this car, even with some ADM, has been next to impossible!

The quest continues....

Perhaps, but unlike yourself, a lot of Ford dealers were not up to speed (or interested) in the car and the simple ordering codes seemed to throw them in a loop of sorts. I had to keep telling them how the process went (maybe I should get the commission!).

As far as MSRP goes, I have made it perfectly clear to them that if I pay one dime more than the listed price, they'll be priveledged to see my boots leaving their dealership for the last time, never to return. I simply don't want the car that bad to pay any sort of ADM. They can sell it to someone else if they like. I won't get involved in a bidding frenzy. I'll leave that to the rich guys.

I guess I'll see what sort of integrity they have come price time.

Perhaps, but unlike yourself, a lot of Ford dealers were not up to speed (or interested) in the car and the simple ordering codes seemed to throw them in a loop of sorts. I had to keep telling them how the process went (maybe I should get the commission!).

As far as MSRP goes, I have made it perfectly clear to them that if I pay one dime more than the listed price, they'll be priveledged to see my boots leaving their dealership for the last time, never to return. I simply don't want the car that bad to pay any sort of ADM. They can sell it to someone else if they like. I won't get involved in a bidding frenzy. I'll leave that to the rich guys.

I guess I'll see what sort of integrity they have come price time.

I completly understand. I've been on teh other side. I went through it when I got my 87 GLH-S, and they only made 1,000 of those cars! My local dealer was over MSRP and I wouldn't pay. I was lucky enough to find one in NH at a little under MSRP and got a rebate. At that time nobody (consumers) knew what the car was. It was worse for the guys that got the 86, they only made 500 of those.

Here for your amusement is an email thread with a dealer....this just gets better!

Buying a Shelby GT

DAY :18

America Waits and Wonders....

------ Forwarded Message

Reply-To: XXXXXXXX <don@xxxxxxxford.com>

Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 09:51:37 -0600

To: matt <XXXXXXXXX>

Subject: Re: Question for item #270085678950 - Ford : Mustang

WELL THEN . I WISH I COULD OF BEEN MORE OF ASSISTANCE BUT SHELBY DOES NOT COMMUNICATE WITH THERE DEALERS. OR WITH FORD. THIS WHOLE SHELBY GT PROJECT IS A SHAM..... WHEN YOU CAN GET A WINDOW STICKER FASTER THAN ME.... WHEN I HAVE BEEN ASKING SHELBY FOR TWO MONTHS NOW...

WELL GOOD LUCK IN YOUR VENTURE

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

-----Original message-----

Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 08:52:56 -0600

To: XXXXXXXXXX <don@xxxxxxxford.com>

Subject: Re: Question for item #270085678950 - Ford : Mustang

> Humm....well I did email you first so I guess you may have a point!

>

>

> > From: XXXXXXXXXX <don@xxxxxxxford.com>

> > Reply-To: XXXXXXXXXX <don@xxxxxxxford.com>

> > Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 08:05:45 -0600

> > To: matt <XXXXXXXXX>

> > Subject: Re: Question for item #270085678950 - Ford : Mustang

> >

> > youre still a idiot

> >

> >

> > XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

>>

> > -----Original message-----

> > From: matt <XXXXXXXXX>

> > Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 17:33:09 -0600

> > To: XXXXXXXXXX <don@xxxxxxxford.com>

> > Subject: Re: Question for item #270085678950 - Ford : Mustang

> >

> >> I'm sorry, do you always talk this way to customers regardless of location or

> >> just not in front of them on the floor?

> >>

> >> Enclosed are a couple of the "Shelby Stickers BTW. As for ADM, two DIFFERENT

> >> conversations, you can ask for what ever you want and that was my request.

> >>

> >>

> >> Best of luck.

> >>

> >>

> >> On Monday, February 05, 2007, at 11:59AM, XXXXXXXXXX <don@xxxxxxxford.com> wrote:

> >>>

> >>> This is why customers like you will never buy cars like this. First before

> >>> you email get your facts correct there is no [shelby] window stickers on these cars

> >>> the only window sticker is on the base shelby the dealer can add any amount

> >>> to the charge they get from shelby its there diascression. You're just another

> >>> consumer who thinks they now it all.....

> >>>

> >>> i jsut ran a us search through delaer web there are 12 total gt's out there

> >>> available at dealers....

> >>>

> >>> Plus your 8k figure is way off.... good luck were having issues you dont

> >>> know the first thing about the car stop talking out of your @ss talk facts

> >>> not bs

> >>>

> >>> XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

------ End of Forwarded Message

It's guys like that that give us a bad name. It's almost impossible to find somebody under the age of 30 who can write anymore. Makes you wonder what happened to the education system in America. All the emphasis is on math and science, maybe we should pay a little more attention to the English language, or is that politically incorrect?

Well...dealer #1 STILL says we're good and he's working to get verification of his allocation. Dealer #2, though I spoke with two different salespeople figuring I might double my chances of getting an answer, didn't call back Monday as promised. If dealer #1 fails to come through I think I am done. The process has just been too exhausting, I've been ignored, snickered at, had a salesperson call me an @ss and an idiot, told the car doesn't exist, or will cost me $8-$10K over MSRP. Perhaps I'll just buy some rally stripes for my GT throw hood and side scoops on it and call it a day! It shouldn't be this hard to buy this car worse I get a sense no one at Ford or SAI really cares.

Well...dealer #1 STILL says we're good and he's working to get verification of his allocation. Dealer #2, though I spoke with two different salespeople figuring I might double my chances of getting an answer, didn't call back Monday as promised. If dealer #1 fails to come through I think I am done. The process has just been too exhausting, I've been ignored, snickered at, had a salesperson call me an @ss and an idiot, told the car doesn't exist, or will cost me $8-$10K over MSRP. Perhaps I'll just buy some rally stripes for my GT throw hood and side scoops on it and call it a day! It shouldn't be this hard to buy this car worse I get a sense no one at Ford or SAI really cares.

I feel your pain, brother. The frustration is terrible when all you are trying to do is buy something from them. I went through a similar dance with uninformed salespeople when I ordered my car. I found that by talking to the "fleet" person that puts the orders in Concepts ( Ford's ordering system) it was a better experience. Many times this person is also a salesperson in the dealerships but, at least they have seen the info on the 54U Shelby package and know how to order or track the car. My approach a few months back was to say that I wanted to order a 2007 Mustang with "special codes" for accessories. Let them figure out it is a Shelby. I say , dealer beware, not buyer beware. Say MUSTANG not Shelby. Most of them think it is a stripe package like the old 70's + 80's Mustangs. Clearly this is one of the reasons FORD is in financial trouble.

-Tim-

Guys...

I've got my Shelby GT now and most have seen, via posts to this site, that this has been a horrible dealer experience for me. The folks at Shelby have been the absolutely best people to work with. They have always been there to support me during this grueling process. In the end, it has been well worth the wait. My wife and I paid some ADM and yes the dealer was holding our car hostage, however, we got the car we've ordered and it is an absolute blast to drive. Everybody gives us long stares and don't really know what it is. That is what its about!!!

We all have to make decisions about buying the car and how much we're willing to pay for it. For us, we targeted a level of pain and we got our car.

This car is a very personal decision, so make that decision and either enjoy the car or purchase something else...

Gary

MattChicago,

Something I found interesting around the Tri-State (Pa Nj De) area when I was trying to get a dealer to take a deposit early on for a GT500. The SVT dealers knew the car was on the way and were excited to talk about it, the others had the classic deer in the head light look. So I think most of us have been down that road and we feel your pain. But don't give up brother, there are some dealers who are on the ball. The search is fustrating to find that one dealer but when you do, you'll know. Best of luck to ya

......it is here in SoCal but that is a discussion for another forum.

Matt, Don't give up. You are only 827 miles from my dealership, lol. Maybe we could work something out. Or you can walk into one of the uninformed dealerships, codes in hand, and tell them you'll pay 8500 over whatever the concepts price is. (was suggested elsewhere here) They won't know what they have till it gets there and then it's to late. Since they aren't going to lose anything they won't fight you to hard when it comes in.

MattChicago are you planing to have anything added to your car at SAI? If so you would need to set up SAI Las Vegas Delivery. If that is the case, you can buy your car over the phone, and take delivery in Vegas. (even if you don't have anything added, would it not be a blast to pick your car up from SHELBY)

WHY DO YOU GUYS KEEP GOING THROUGH THE BS & MIND NUMBING Retail Sales process?? I have heard this same story told 20+ times. Each dealer HAD the chance at 1 Shelby GT. If the 6000 cars are not allocated to 6000 different dealers due to requests not being made. Then a FEW Dealers will receive an extra SGT. We were given the chance to order 1 SGT back in Dec/06.

I made 1 phone call to a very good customer, and mime was SOLD.

Why would my RETAIL MNGR. have a meeting, class, training session, to teach the sales team about a car that they will NEVER SEE OR GET?? The SVT Dealers have earned the right, and have trained people in place to sell limited production cars. If you go to a NON SVT Dealer, they are in the mind set to sell Hundreds of Focus, Ranger, F150, Five-Hunded, ETC. (Not 1 Per Dealer/Year Limited production SGT)

I have made 70+ phone calls to other dealers to buy their SGT. Alot of those dealers DID NOT know about the SGT either. I was able to buy 4 extra cars, (near MSRP $40500) I will have to pick all the cars up in Vegas. So with the extra shipping costs, I will have a couple cars Available at $44,000.00

randy 303 584-6623

Everyone! Success!!!! I signed the order today, it's in the system, and they have my deposit! No ADM beyond the Shelby package. Yeah me! Now I can bitch about ship dates! Time to start a new thread! :P

Matt, Don't give up. You are only 827 miles from my dealership, lol. Maybe we could work something out. Or you can walk into one of the uninformed dealerships, codes in hand, and tell them you'll pay 8500 over whatever the concepts price is. (was suggested elsewhere here) They won't know what they have till it gets there and then it's to late. Since they aren't going to lose anything they won't fight you to hard when it comes in.

;-)

Why would my RETAIL MNGR. have a meeting, class, training session, to teach the sales team about a car that they will NEVER SEE OR GET?? The SVT Dealers have earned the right, and have trained people in place to sell limited production cars. If you go to a NON SVT Dealer, they are in the mind set to sell Hundreds of Focus, Ranger, F150, Five-Hunded, ETC. (Not 1 Per Dealer/Year Limited production SGT)

Why? Because it generates foot traffic. It drives demand and people into the showroom. I agree with you that training is a waste of time but at least inform and discuss the other Mustang options. In fact I would go so far as to, if I owned the dealership, to create my own version of the Shelby GT. Heck we have a majority of the parts! If someone wanted one, and our allocation was gone, or the price too high, I would give my sales people something to sell and at the same time keep my service department busy with something fun to do. Sure this is incremental revenue but these days...

Everyone! Success!!!! I signed the order today, it's in the system, and they have my deposit! No ADM beyond the Shelby package. Yeah me! Now I can bitch about ship dates! Time to start a new thread! :P

;-)

Why? Because it generates foot traffic. It drives demand and people into the showroom. I agree with you that training is a waste of time but at least inform and discuss the other Mustang options. In fact I would go so far as to, if I owned the dealership, to create my own version of the Shelby GT. Heck we have a majority of the parts! If someone wanted one, and our allocation was gone, or the price too high, I would give my sales people something to sell and at the same time keep my service department busy with something fun to do. Sure this is incremental revenue but these days...

Congrats on your find/Purchase.

Food for thought. We have built a few custom Mustangs here. AND WE BUILD 10-20 F650 CUSTOM PICK-UPS WITH ALL THE TOYS. $85-150,000 We do very well with them. BUT I would get HAMMERED HERE if we started Building FAKE Shelby GT's, or GT500's. Even if they were sold as Reproductions.

If I had a Reproduction SGT in my showroom and you walked in asking for a REAL SHELBY, would you being willing to buy that car if I did not have a Real one?? If so I will take orders and get them built with a customers specs. With total pricing up front, and delivery to your house) thanks randy 303 584-6623

Congrats on your find/Purchase.

Food for thought. We have built a few custom Mustangs here. AND WE BUILD 10-20 F650 CUSTOM PICK-UPS WITH ALL THE TOYS. $85-150,000 We do very well with them. BUT I would get HAMMERED HERE if we started Building FAKE Shelby GT's, or GT500's. Even if they were sold as Reproductions.

If I had a Reproduction SGT in my showroom and you walked in asking for a REAL SHELBY, would you being willing to buy that car if I did not have a Real one?? If so I will take orders and get them built with a customers specs. With total pricing up front, and delivery to your house) thanks randy 303 584-6623

oh, no! I didn't mean that! Yikes! I meant an equivalent car! Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, put me down for 3 fake ones. I'd like white with blue stripes and can you add a V-10 Triton on that, please? :P

cONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!! AND IF IT WERE ME, i WOULD SEND THOSE EMAILS TO fORD, SO THEY KNOW WHAT AND how their dealers are representing them. Those emails were amazing

Amy

• 2 months later...

Talk about an OLD thread! But hey it seemed fitting to keep the thread updated!

So yeah me! :D

I go the call from my dealer that all the paperwork is in for my car so I can go in and buy it! That "should" mean it's done with the STG conversion! Yippie!

I've called John and drop him a note to get things moving on my mods (hood, Spolier, lower drill/lights).

Anyway, just a note for those keeping track of their own cars. Again mine arrived SAI on or about 4/3.

Take care all!

B)

Don't count on the 30 days, mine has been at SAI for over 11 weeks. The only mods I had done were the front fascia with lights and rear sequentials. My car is now done but has been waiting to get loaded on a truck for the past week and a half.

Good luck !

• 9 months later...
Wow....found my first post (thread) here back a little over a year ago when I first started to look into buying my car. My how things change! Like my screen name for example! LOL.

:dreamy:

Just funny to see how far we've come...

Jeff aka Matt

I thought you were MattinChicago. Its shows MattinDetroit. Did you move? :hysterical:

michael morris

Archived