TEAM SHELBY FORUM

289 Street Cobra

Bob Stafford

• 7 years later...

Don't know how you got the pic but this is of my wife and CFO and myself in early 1965. We purchased the car in March 1964 from Jerry Alderman Ford Indianapolis,IN. I was first bitten by Shelby's snake in 1963 while attending various events in Southern California including the Times GP at Riverside Raceway. Prior to moving to Indy I was working for Lockheed California which enabled me to attend these events. From 1946 thru 1967 it was our daily driver - rain/sleet/snow/heat. The car itself was hot in summer and cold in winter and wet in rain for me it was worth all the minor troubles. I had experiences with "British comfort" prior to Cobra with a Twin Cam MGA. I had the car restored to original configuration in 2008 - 2010 while only making change that improved reliability, maintainability or operability.

Looking at the date on your question I assume that this message is obe overcome by events and to summarize my feelings, I would say that the performance and handling still outweigh any inconviences in comfort. I you are looking for comfort buy a new GT500 or GT350.

RR

This is likely not the best place to get Cobra stuff, as there are not very many owners here. But I'll give you my opinion.

I owned a CSX4000 continuation car. I never felt I was able to push it on the street enough that the car "felt good". It was always under utilized. And it was way twitchy.

My wife hated the car so I sold it and replaced it with a civilized beast (picture on the left) but...

If I were to by a Cobra again, it WILL be a 289 class car (CSX2000). The 427's are just so overpowering, and a 289 class car is a good balance of power and handling. The choice between a street and FIA is one of choice. I chose the 427 because it epitomized the wide hips of the power cars, just like the FIA 289s do. If you want subdued then get a 289 street without roll bars and under carriage exhaust. They are unique in their own right. If you want to do it right, find a 260 as the first CSX2000 series street cars were 260s.

I agree 100% with prior comments. My 289 experiences over some 36k miles were that while I felt it was possible to get into situations over my head I felt that I was the controlling factor. When I did lose it I was always able to see where I went wrong.

It was our (wife and I) daily driver to work, shopping, holidays & vacations, major Racing events, and even to the local hospital to pick up our first born son (in a snow storm). As indicated prior my wife drove the car frequently and enjoyed it. In our older years we do however laugh at the lack of creature comforts.

Our experiences continue after a full restoration in 2010 and our youngest son often enjoys chauffeuring his old man around Indy.

RR

Archived