TEAM SHELBY FORUM

more hertz coming !

interceptor

Not if they have a reserve price. They aren't selling on eBay.

all that went through the last time had reserves of 60k and many didn't sell. some were even repeats from an earlier denver auction that didn't sell there either.

So what's the real transaction price for these cars? There are only 500 out there, but it seems to be pretty difficult to sell one after its retirement. Is there a demand for used rental cars, even with the Shelby name?

the very 1st ones sold well and for 60k plus but they were real low mileage and no one really new what the market would be at the time. one dealer bought several but prices have become stagnet.also factor that the shelby gt can be had for less with no miles.my boss was at this auction and he said the more miles they showed the more flaws they had and dealers wouldn't pay the reserve.

Everyone I know that has rented one has absolutely beat the crap out of it, including laps around Barber Motorsports Park, Road Atlanta, and other AutoX events, not to mention numerous burnouts. These cars are going to have significant;y more wear than a retail Mustang with similar mileage.

AMEN!

Everyone I know that has rented one has absolutely beat the crap out of it, including laps around Barber Motorsports Park, Road Atlanta, and other AutoX events, not to mention numerous burnouts. These cars are going to have significant;y more wear than a retail Mustang with similar mileage.

It's that and I think that it's the fact that these car are no different from the Shelby GT's, except:

-you cannot option the H's the way you want;

- no stick

- only black.

Add to that the reserve is at least $20k over a new one....I think that this is the reality slap that I was referring to back in November....

-Think about it...if the retail on these, used, was $40k, that would be a huge victory for any car-- --Consider that it's also a rental that was beat to crap.

-What other car even comes close to selling at sticker after being on the road for a year, much less as a rental?

In my mind, if these even retailed at $40k, that would be a huge victory. These dealers/auction houses need a dose of reality, and I think it's being delivered now.

Realistically, any used Hertz car, after a year of service, sells for 1/3 to 1/2 of MSRP. Dealers should be aiming alot lower than they have. My .02

I hope they keep sitting around so when the time comes for #362 to come out of the fleet I can hopefully talk the guy into a decent price for it. :) Seriously, it looks like the dealers greed is going to cost them in the end when it comes to these cars.

is# 362 part of the shelby vin or the original ford vin? i have access to the original vins that will be sold on the 18th.

is# 362 part of the shelby vin or the original ford vin? i have access to the original vins that will be sold on the 18th.

It the Shelby number on the plate (362/500). Supposedly the cars in Columbus are owned by the franchise there and will be auctioned locally. I am supposed to call the franchise manager back in June about the car.

It the Shelby number on the plate (362/500). Supposedly the cars in Columbus are owned by the franchise there and will be auctioned locally. I am supposed to call the franchise manager back in June about the car.

I would call him now, dude. Just to be sure. I know that one is sentimental to you. All cars are supposed to go through Manheim, not auctioned off by the local Hertz franchise. ;)

PS- any auction results yet?????

I don't know how they would be doing burnouts unless rental agencies hooked the traction control switches back up. I was told that the traction control switches had jumpers placed behind them so that you couldn't turn the traction control off!

The problem is GREED. I do not trust dealers to begin with but this just confirms my thoughts on greedy dealers.

There you go again with the greed. There were only 500 of them made. How many were kept by the owners of the Hertz franchises? How many were wrecked? How many of the 500 are really available? Who is selling them at auction? Hertz, Ford?? A Dealer has to buy it at auction, then sell it retail. If the dealers are buying them for 40-50K do you expect them to sell them for 30? It's all supply and demand. If nobody buys them the price will come down. If you had a rare 3 cent stamp from the 1800's that you could sell for 250,000 dollars does that make you greedy, or should you sell it for 2 cents because it was used and cancelled? What about a store that sells a pair of jeans for 75 bucks? $1.50 for 20 oz of water? Whats the profit MARGIN there? Percentage, not dollar amount. We usually don't think about it because it's only a couple of dollars and we are talking about a 5k dollar mark up here. If the car cost me 36,500 and I sell it for 45,000 the profit MARGIN is only 23 percent, is that to much? If something costs 1,000,000 can I make a 10 pct profit? (that's 100K) We have a jewler locally that advertises "never at a profit of more than 33 percent" Think about that the next time you offer 100 dollars over invoice on a 25K dollar car. Don't get me wrong, you are entitled to ask for a discount, but you are not entitled to get one. If you find one great. Everybody thinks in terms of the car they are buying. (only natural) We, the dealers, have to think in terms of the 500 or more cars we are selling. You don't cover 40K dollars a month in interest on the in stock inventory by selling 15K dollar Focus's at a 250 dollar profit. You need to move some units at a higher profit to cover the low profit sales. Have you been reading the news? Ford has quite a few "loss leaders" at the moment.

I would call him now, dude. Just to be sure. I know that one is sentimental to you. All cars are supposed to go through Manheim, not auctioned off by the local Hertz franchise. ;)

reserves went down to 55k. some sold for 55 to 60k however a lot were no sells. the more miles they pile up and the more dings they get causes dealers to shy away from the big numbers.oops sorry hit it twice!

reserves went down to 55k. some sold for 55 to 60k however a lot were no sells. the more miles they pile up and the more dings they get causes dealers to shy away from the big numbers.

Crisp, I talked to him right before the holidays and he said he didn't know what he was doing with the cars until June/July of '07.

And I talked wth the Fleet Manager for the Hertz Corporation and he said if the cars are owned by a franchise they would not go back through Corporate for the auctions. They would be "taken care of" locally.

Crisp, I talked to him right before the holidays and he said he didn't know what he was doing with the cars until June/July of '07.

And I talked wth the Fleet Manager for the Hertz Corporation and he said if the cars are owned by a franchise they would not go back through Corporate for the auctions. They would be "taken care of" locally.

Could be these will be the low priced shelby's like the 66 hertz, then after years of low bids, they are now worth a fortune....... when you can't get them and you can't get the best ones, the second tier will sell

Amy

• 2 weeks later...

manhiem p.a. auction is listing 22 more gt-h cars to be dealer auctioned on 1/18. mileage range is 8-13k. it will be interesting to see what they bring this time. any bets?

Humm...I have been watching these and have to say at some level the low mileage I am seeing is troubling. I guess there is really no direct correlation between mileage and rental revenue, so maybe I'm just thinking out loud here. It seems to me though that these cars, the highest I saw was 14, 291, with most below 10K, were not driven much over the course of the year. I hope this doesn't mean Hertz is going to discontinue to practice. Has Hertz ever made the results of the program public? Have they renewed for 2007?

Guest dougxbr

"Don't get me wrong, you are entitled to ask for a discount, but you are not entitled to get one."

Nicely said GLHS Fan. I'm no dealer, but I am a capitalist. If the prices were only $500 over MSRP, then folks would be whining about not enough available.

out of the 500 car made for the program,12 of them have been totaled,approx 30% have had claims on them as far as warr work,damage, ect,and we all know that they all had the snot kicked out of them,greed is bringing the price up,but things will steady out,they always do,in a short time there will be a correction in the market. I sell classic and musclecars i go through this all the time with cars at auctions,and not all dealers are greedy,its a bussiness,and a bussiness needs to make money to survive like any other bussiness,so you guys that complain about greedy dealers are always the ones that never took the chance to throw it all out there in an investment to try and make a return,its called risk,you never hear people complain about other dealers about making money,say art,or carpet dealers,,,,good for them the seller should make the most he can,i know i like to,thats why we live in a capitolist socioty,it always seems the guy without the means to buy whatever he thinks is over priced or being sold for greed,always seems to cry the loudest,,,ever notice that???

Where did you hear that 12 were totaled? I'd like to update our new Shelby GT-H registry with that information.

I found this but there isn't a complete VIN (partial VIN 1ZFT82H165) and I couldn't find the auction (they are trying to resell the car which is totalled).

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=60471

my cousins father inlaw works for ford special services,as of last august there were 2 totaled in san francisco ca, apparently somebody had the bright idea of recreating the bulitt car chase, 3 were wiped out in phoenix,and a couple in las vegas, all in all,there have been 12 official totaled,and many of had other claims and work done on them,the 3 or 4 i have seen at auction out here had some paint work,hell i rented one last sept for a weekend, took it to the drags,and street raced the crap out of to the point it almost overheated,hell its a rental,thats what your suppose to do with it,theres countless videos online showing dozens being beat to death, i filmed mine,but im not gonna put it out there till there all sold,there were 3 a few weeks ago out here that didnt bring more than 25k apiece at the sale,and they didnt sell them,heres the thing,there all holding out for big buck,a few will get it,the rest will come down,and then you gotta wait put them away and then they will apprciate,thats the bottom line

hell i rented one last sept for a weekend, took it to the drags,and street raced the crap out of to the point it almost overheated,hell its a rental,thats what your suppose to do with it

And I get DNR'd for taking one down the track seven times at Bristol. I even had the car detailed the second day I had it.

:angry:

Archived