TEAM SHELBY FORUM

07 Cobra in IHRA!

wildosvt

Now that's fat...I mean PHAT. :hysterical2:

I find this very interesting. Of course the car has not one part from the GT500, and the body is a carbon fiber shell with everything you see painted-on. But in NHRA (I'm less familiar with IHRA but they're very similar rules), you have to run a factory block, heads and carburetion, I believe, with 500CID limit; beyond that you can do most anything to the car including head polishing etc. So, maybe this is just for show? Or what? I'm confused! I'll have to see if I can find IHRA Pros stock rules somewhere. I can't see how it can fit the rules in pro-stock. That block just can't get big enough to be competitive. I'm sure I'm missing something.

<edit:> Just spent 45 mins at IHRA -- you have to buy the rules book, nothing meaningful online... oh well...

I find this very interesting. Of course the car has not one part from the GT500, and the body is a carbon fiber shell with everything you see painted-on. But in NHRA (I'm less familiar with IHRA but they're very similar rules), you have to run a factory block, heads and carburetion, I believe, with 500CID limit; beyond that you can do most anything to the car. So, maybe this is just for show? Or what? I'm confused! I'll have to see if I can find IHRA Pros stock rules somewhere. I can't see how it can fit the rules and be even vaguely competitive. That block just can't get big enough.

It depends on the class your in.

I find this very interesting. Of course the car has not one part from the GT500, and the body is a carbon fiber shell with everything you see painted-on. But in NHRA (I'm less familiar with IHRA but they're very similar rules), you have to run a factory block, heads and carburetion, I believe, with 500CID limit; beyond that you can do most anything to the car including head polishing etc. So, maybe this is just for show? Or what? I'm confused! I'll have to see if I can find IHRA Pros stock rules somewhere. I can't see how it can fit the rules in pro-stock. That block just can't get big enough to be competitive. I'm sure I'm missing something.

<edit:> Just spent 45 mins at IHRA -- you have to buy the rules book, nothing meaningful online... oh well...

Let me be more specific. That car is in competition. IHRA has many of the same rules as NHRA but they dont favor GM.

:soap box: I don't follow GM-Er uh- NHRA anymore.

Bob Glidden is the ALL time PRO-STOCK MASTER! Screw Warren! And NHRA's.

:OOPS Im off my soap box now!:

Not flaming you 68!

Let me be more specific. That car is in competition. IHRA has many of the same rules as NHRA but they dont favor GM.

:soap box: I don't follow GM-Er uh- NHRA anymore.

Bob Glidden is the ALL time PRO-STOCK MASTER! Screw Warren! And NHRA's.

:OOPS Im off my soap box now!:

Not flaming you 68!

No prob.. and I agree... I think Ford made a big mistake (about 18 years ago?) when they dropped support for pro-stock in NHRA. And now that Glidden (the winningest NHRA racer of all time) and Ricky Smith are back in NHRA pro-stock (Glidden was crew-chiefing for the Schumacher [mopar] expansion team after a brief stint on his own with his son Billy driving; he's now starting a new team, most likely GM afffiliated). I'm hoping if Ford does the Hurricane, they'll somehow pull him back into the fold (if they do serious sponsorship again it should be easy) because a DOHC Hurricane has the potential to develop about 10% more power than the GM/MoPars. Warren Johnson and Greg Anderson, etc. only made it to the top after Glidden left the sport. Ironically, Ford and NHRA had their differences for many years because NHRA refused to permit the superior SOHC 427 (back then) and Boss429 in some other classes, leaving for to run the wedge-heads, and Ford always felt mistreated by NHRA seemingly biased rules. For a number of years it was like NHRA is GM/MoPar and IHRA is Ford (that's why Ricky Smith kept at it in IHRA for so long, but without serious factory parts support it's tough when GM is spending millions and directly assisting Warren Johnson with engine development. Even Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins is back in NHRA Pro-Stock (Chevy, of course) as a team owner!

At least we can only hope -- it would be a huge shot in the arm for NHRA pro-stock (not that NHRA really needs it) to have Ford back in ProStock. Given a season or two of serious prep, I think a DOHC Hurricane would clean house. I bet there'd be a lot of GM pressure trying to nix that, since it would force them to have to (re)invest in more expensive DOHC tech to compete and it would shut down their 'milking the pushrod cash-cow' in the Vettes/Camaros. It could be the best strategic racing money Ford ever spent! :)

I think first Ford has to find someting else for Elena Ford to do -- from what I've heard she has been opposed to any Ford hi-po/racing programs, including the GT500. Somehow, it seems she thinks 'green' and racing are mutually exclusive... they say "ignorance is bliss." :doh:

PS - I've been involved with over 18 environmental and sustainability national organizations, some for well over 30 years now, and though I see no significant conflict betw 'green' and racing, I can assure you I am in the small minority. I live in a super efficient modular home (that runs [2003 prices] for a year of TOTAL ENERGY usage [electric, heat, hot water, cooking..everything] for $1017.) and I teach on efficient residential housing (with no 'green' label to turn folks off -- I just show the rationale, benefits and savings!) so I have a lot of contact with environmentalists. In general it's not possible to have a rational conversation on hi-perf cars or racing with most environmentalists -- not looking to open a can of worms here with my brethren on either side, just lamenting the rumored black&white Elena Ford mindset and what it can (has?) mean(t) to preventing us enthusiasts from getting what we want. Thank God Bill Ford is a believer or I don't think we'd have ever seen this car!

No prob.. and I agree... I think Ford made a big mistake (about 18 years ago?) when they dropped support for pro-stock in NHRA. And now that Glidden (the winningest NHRA racer of all time) and Ricky Smith are back in NHRA pro-stock (Glidden was crew-chiefing for the Schumacher [mopar] expansion team after a brief stint on his own with his son Billy driving; he's now starting a new team, most likely GM afffiliated). I'm hoping if Ford does the Hurricane, they'll somehow pull him back into the fold (if they do serious sponsorship again it should be easy) because a DOHC Hurricane has the potential to develop about 10% more power than the GM/MoPars. Warren Johnson and Greg Anderson, etc. only made it to the top after Glidden left the sport. Ironically, Ford and NHRA had their differences for many years because NHRA refused to permit the superior SOHC 427 (back then) and Boss429 in some other classes, leaving for to run the wedge-heads, and Ford always felt mistreated by NHRA seemingly biased rules. For a number of years it was like NHRA is GM/MoPar and IHRA is Ford (that's why Ricky Smith kept at it in IHRA for so long, but without serious factory parts support it's tough when GM is spending millions and directly assisting Warren Johnson with engine development. Even Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins is back in NHRA Pro-Stock (Chevy, of course) as a team owner!

At least we can only hope -- it would be a huge shot in the arm for NHRA pro-stock (not that NHRA really needs it) to have Ford back in ProStock. Given a season or two of serious prep, I think a DOHC Hurricane would clean house. I bet there'd be a lot of GM pressure trying to nix that, since it would force them to have to (re)invest in more expensive DOHC tech to compete and it would shut down their 'milking the pushrod cash-cow' in the Vettes/Camaros. It could be the best strategic racing money Ford ever spent! :)

I think first Ford has to find someting else for Elena Ford to do -- from what I've heard she has been opposed to any Ford hi-po/racing programs, including the GT500. Somehow, it seems she thinks 'green' and racing are mutually exclusive... they say "ignorance is bliss." :doh:

PS - I've been involved with over 18 environmental and sustainability national organizations, some for well over 30 years now, and though I see no significant conflict betw 'green' and racing, I can assure you I am in the small minority. I live in a super efficient modular home (that runs [2003 prices] for a year of TOTAL ENERGY usage [electric, heat, hot water, cooking..everything] for $1017.) and I teach on efficient residential housing (with no 'green' label to turn folks off -- I just show the rationale, benefits and savings!) so I have a lot of contact with environmentalists. In general it's not possible to have a rational conversation on hi-perf cars or racing with most environmentalists -- not looking to open a can of worms here with my brethren on either side, just lamenting the rumored black&white Elena Ford mindset and what it can (has?) mean(t) to preventing us enthusiasts from getting what we want. Thank God Bill Ford is a believer or I don't think we'd have ever seen this car!

A very thoughtful and well written post, and I agree 100% with each point. I've never been a huge drag racing fan, but I used to keep up with Glidden and Ford in ProStock; when they went away so did my interest for the most part in the NHRA --sure I root for Force and the Mustang funny cars, but ultimately they're too "funny" not stock enough for me to really connect with. (Not to get off the point but this is what's ruining NASCAR for many fans as well).

Anyway thanks 68fastback

A very thoughtful and well written post, and I agree 100% with each point. I've never been a huge drag racing fan, but I used to keep up with Glidden and Ford in ProStock; when they went away so did my interest for the most part in the NHRA --sure I root for Force and the Mustang funny cars, but ultimately they're too "funny" not stock enough for me to really connect with. (Not to get off the point but this is what's ruining NASCAR for many fans as well).

Anyway thanks 68fastback

Yeah, thanks Cobra... appreciate your comments. I think sucking the 'branding' out of NASCAR in favor of a focus on the teams/drivers was done intentionally to minimize NASCAR getting flamed regularly on unfair brand treatment. Did you notice that for a while a few years ago they even eliminated the brand logos from the on-screen race status window during TV coverage? Many complaints caused them to quickly back off on that.

I must be a purist, because I started watching much less NASCAR when they went to restrictor plates! NASCAR doesn't want racing to be about the cars/brands so they can't be held hostage by alleged brand-damage when they make 'equalizing' rules changes ;-) so they have had to equalize the whole playing field itself artificially by hamstringing the cars. NHRA top fuel considered similar measures in the late '90s, but they smartly reached out to the viewers and the outcry was deafening, so they instead decided to gradually back-down on the percentage of NitroMethane in the fuel mix and mandated a safer, but slightly slower tire, and changed the wing/foil rules, mandated improved safety cages, but backed off on mandating the restrictor plates. And here we are 5 or 6 years later and they're going faster than ever and with less accidents -- that's what folks want to see I think

Ford used to have a real presence in all forms of racing -- too bad it's so limited now. That's ok, if they give the next generation kids who want to race the tools to win. Even if you look at IHRA pro-stock, there are about a dozen IHRA-approved GM crate motors, 4 or 5 Mopars and 2 Fords (427 wedge and 514 wedge).

I do watch NHRA drags fairly faithfully and Force is great for the sport and Ford even if just in Funny Car -- sad he can't proudly display FORD on the valve covers, while Schumaker and Co have Hemi plastered all over the place -- but at least Ford is sponsoring something with visibility.

I think (I hope), given time, the Ford kids growing up in the sport today will be heard -- hopefully the old dead-dinosaur juice won't run out before Elena Ford and friends get some religion -- why do I not feel so hopefull of that?

In the meantime :shift::)

Archived