TEAM SHELBY FORUM

We haven't been forgotten

rare_ram

I just got a 1/18 Shelby Collectibles 07 GT500. On the back is a short writeup about Carroll. here's a line from it. "He has worked with Ford creating the 289 Cobra, Cobra Daytona Coupe, 427 S/C Cobra, the racing GT40, the Mustang G.T. 500, with Dodge creating the Shelby Charger, Lonestar, GLH, GLHS, CSX and Viper." I never heard of a lonestar, anyone know what it was?

YEA IT'S NICE TO BE REMEMBERED BUT IF THEY CANT GET ALL THE FACTS RIGHT THEY NEED TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND LEARN MORE ABUT WHAT HEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

MANY TIME WHEN CORROL SHELBY IS TALKED ABOUT THEY ALMOST ALWAYS LEAVE OUT THE DODGES AND WHENE THEY DO TALK ABOUT IT THEY ARE MOSTLY SPEAKING FROM MEMORY AND DONT HAVE THE PROPER FACTS.

I AM PROUD TO OWN MY SHELBY EVEN IF IT IS UGLY AND SMALL, IN THE END IF ENOUGH OF US HANG ON OUR CARS MAY BECOME MUCH MORE THAN ANY NEW SHELBY CAR.

The Lonestar was a version of the Dakota pickup that never went into production. We have one here in Vegas and used to use it as a delivery truck.

The Lancer you're referring to is the Shelby CSX and the CSX-T (Thrifty Rent-a-Car).

We do remember our past and the products we've made. We don't want to discount the importance of the Shelby Dodge program back in the 1980s. Those cars were innovative and exciting. They were built at a time when Chrysler was trying to come back from the brink and the quality of the base cars wasn't what it was in the '60s so some people today don't think very highly of them. I've personally driven a few of them and thought they were great. I've tried to keep up with a GLHS on the track and I can tell you they're plenty agile and responsive.

It's disappointing that their value hasn't risen like most of our other products but I believe they'll be more valuable as time goes on.

-Rich Sparkman

Shelby Automobiles, Inc.

The Lancer you're referring to is the Shelby CSX and the CSX-T (Thrifty Rent-a-Car).

-Rich Sparkman

Shelby Automobiles, Inc.

There was a Shelby Lancer. There were 800 units built based on the 4-door Dodge Lancer in 1987. It was upgraded to Turbo II specs like the GLH-S. It was made to compete against BMW and Mercedes.

gallery_4_1_106001.jpg

robin

P.S. - as an aside, there were three different versions of the CSX

• 7 months later...

The Lonestar was a version of the Dakota pickup that never went into production. We have one here in Vegas and used to use it as a delivery truck.

We do remember our past and the products we've made. We don't want to discount the importance of the Shelby Dodge program back in the 1980s. Those cars were innovative and exciting. They were built at a time when Chrysler was trying to come back from the brink and the quality of the base cars wasn't what it was in the '60s so some people today don't think very highly of them. I've personally driven a few of them and thought they were great. I've tried to keep up with a GLHS on the track and I can tell you they're plenty agile and responsive.

It's disappointing that their value hasn't risen like most of our other products but I believe they'll be more valuable as time goes on.

-Rich Sparkman

Shelby Automobiles, Inc.

The CSX was built off the Dodge Shadow. It may have also been the 1st car to use a variable vane turbo. The Lancer as I recall (and I could be wrong) had 400 autos with leather and 400 sticks w/ cloth.

Yes, the 89 CSX was the first to feature a Variable Nozzle Turbocharger or VNT on a production car.

Regarding Shelby Lancer production, it has been said that 5 manual transmission cars had the cloth interiors swapped with leather from 5 automatic equipped cars. I do not know if that has ever been verified.

robin

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The Lonestar name was first used by Carroll in the 1960's.

In the 1980's the LoneStar name was first brought back on a prototype full size Dodge Ram truck that never made it into production.

The LoneStar name was again revived on a 1987 Dodge Dakota prototype that eventually became the production 1989 Shelby Dakota. The Dakota Lonestar prototype was nothing more than a sticker package, a Lund racerback cab spoiler and the Dakota Sport wheels painted white. The anemic Chrysler drivetrain was left bone stock.

The Dakota Lonestar spend several years in Vegas as a parts runner truck and the Vegas sun took its toll on the poor thing besides the numerous dents and dings that a parts runner truck normally acquires doing its duties.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Do you know which drivetrain the Dakota Lonestar had? V-6/auto? 4cyl/5spd? Do you have any photos either in its glory days or its current state?

Robin

Robin

The Lonestar Dakota has the 3.9 V6 and being that its a 1987 model it's the one year only carb'd 3.9.

Yes I have pics of it from a few years ago. The pics are on another hard drive that I'll have to transfer to my current PC.

I'll post them when I can.

Steve

Archived