TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Renting and Racing the GT-H

Renter_merged

I posted this on another forum, but since this is the "official" shelby forum I thought it would be a good idea to put it up here.

On the weekend of Sept 2-4, with the help of PowerHouse automotive, I rented and raced a Shelby GT-H at the NMRA Ford Expo in Columbus, OH. We have all heard the many different legends associated with the original "H" such as roll cages, motor swaps, etc. so we wanted to keep with the theme by installing a Nitrous kit (75hp) and drag radials for the weekend, then removing it before returning the car. The car ran a best of 13.06 @ 106. Every precausion was taken to ensure a safe, clean install and no damage was done to the car. It was an absolute blast to rent and race this car. People were in and out of our pits all day taking pictures, asking questions and the number of "old timers" that came up to us to talk about the things they saw done with the origianal "H" was amazing. I am interested in hearing what the shelby people think. Here are some pics, I can also post a video link if anyone is interested.

hertz241kx1.jpg

hertz212pn5.jpg

hertz382ao9.jpg

hertz491gb1.jpg

hertz481to4.jpg

hertz451me2.jpg

hertz441tl9.jpg

hertz312tj9.jpg

hertz331wi9.jpg

hertz351tw1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this on another forum, but since this is the "official" shelby forum I thought it would be a good idea to put it up here.

On the weekend of Sept 2-4, with the help of PowerHouse automotive, I rented and raced a Shelby GT-H at the NMRA Ford Expo in Columbus, OH. We have all heard the many different legends associated with the original "H" such as roll cages, motor swaps, etc. so we wanted to keep with the theme by installing a Nitrous kit (75hp) and drag radials for the weekend, then removing it before returning the car. The car ran a best of 13.06 @ 106. Every precausion was taken to ensure a safe, clean install and no damage was done to the car. It was an absolute blast to rent and race this car. People were in and out of our pits all day taking pictures, asking questions and the number of "old timers" that came up to us to talk about the things they saw done with the origianal "H" was amazing. I am interested in hearing what the shelby people think. Here are some pics, I can also post a video link if anyone is interested.

hertz241kx1.jpg

hertz212pn5.jpg

hertz382ao9.jpg

hertz491gb1.jpg

hertz481to4.jpg

hertz451me2.jpg

hertz441tl9.jpg

hertz312tj9.jpg

hertz331wi9.jpg

hertz351tw1.jpg

Nice, keeping the tradition alive! LOL

Nice, keeping the tradition alive! LOL

You know, this is great!!! WE ARE FINISHING UP THE SHELBY EXPERIENCE SITE AND WOULD LOVE THE VIDEO TOO. please emay it to the site or me personally...... Thank you for sharing this and we are glad you love the car, we do to, its a fun ride :)

Amy

B)-->

QUOTE(Amy B @ Dec 3 2006, 12:39 AM) 1702[/snapback]

You know, this is great!!! WE ARE FINISHING UP THE SHELBY EXPERIENCE SITE AND WOULD LOVE THE VIDEO TOO. please emay it to the site or me personally...... Thank you for sharing this and we are glad you love the car, we do to, its a fun ride :)

Amy

Here is the link to the video

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/72a4c3c...83f017edc23.htm

The chrome pony also wrote a pretty cool article about us racing it

http://thechromepony.com/Article1-06.html

I have a ton of pics from the event, I can shoot them to you along with the video if you would like.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah.....great job guys!!! But did ya' happen to win two national events with one? ;)

Here's Bristol!!!!

bristol_shelby.jpg

Here's Epping!!!!

epping_shelby.jpg

D@mn....these cars were fun!

Hi Amy!!! Who do I send the sponsorship proposal packet to? :D

LOL.....you guys are gonna get me in trouble!!!! ;)

Yeah.....great job guys!!! But did ya' happen to win two national events with one? ;)

Here's Bristol!!!!

bristol_shelby.jpg

Here's Epping!!!!

epping_shelby.jpg

D@mn....these cars were fun!

No win, but a great time thats why we raced in wildstreet.... I wanted to buy the one I raced, but they are going for way too much $$$ right now.... it does seem like they may have cooled off a little, people are having a hard time hitting thieir reserves on ebay....

No win, but a great time thats why we raced in wildstreet.... I wanted to buy the one I raced, but they are going for way too much $$$ right now.... it does seem like they may have cooled off a little, people are having a hard time hitting thieir reserves on ebay....

I'd love to have #369 from Bristol. That car was great to me. I've seen some of the outrageous pricing from these greedy dealers. Hopefully with the release of the Shelby GT Mustang, the prices of the GT-H cars will come down to "acceptable" levels. If not.....oh well, it was fun renting and racing them. Even if Hertz banned me. :P

If not.....oh well, it was fun renting and racing them. Even if Hertz banned me. :P

I'm with you, they sent me the letter as well..... I like the part that states "If we mistakenly send you any coupons or rental solicitations, it is in error.." I framed it and hung it next to the full page pic of me racing it that was in the December issue of Modified Mustangs....

Free rentals? They tossed me onto their DNR list right after Bristol. I think they owe me a sponsorship!!!

LOL, thats what i was going to say.... you guys aren't even allowed to rent.....lol

These photos will be great when rich gets up the site, it should be reall soon, now

Amy

I loved it when the DNR rep told me I was "damaging" their car. I told him I take better care of their rental cars than do my own personal car (well.....almost). He asked me what I drove and I told him "Mustang GT". He responsed with, "So you are used to abusing vehicles. In my experience anyone who drives a sports car normally abuses anything they drive." :o

I couldn't help myself (being the perpetual smartazz that I am) so I asked him what he drove. "I'm a family man....I drive a minivan" he replied. So I said.........

"Oh I see. You've been castrated and your wife has your nuts in a jar on top of the fridge." :lol:

I'm such a sh!t sometimes. LOLOLOLOLOL

I loved it when the DNR rep told me I was "damaging" their car. I told him I take better care of their rental cars than do my own personal car (well.....almost). He asked me what I drove and I told him "Mustang GT". He responsed with, "So you are used to abusing vehicles. In my experience anyone who drives a sports car normally abuses anything they drive." :o

I couldn't help myself (being the perpetual smartazz that I am) so I asked him what he drove. "I'm a family man....I drive a minivan" he replied. So I said.........

"Oh I see. You've been castrated and your wife has your nuts in a jar on top of the fridge." :lol:

I'm such a sh!t sometimes. LOLOLOLOLOL

If you check out the either the sept or oct issue of Motor Trend they did a write up on the GT-H and they interviewed an exec at Hertz and asked him about "abuse". The hertz exec said the abuse the customer would put the car through was built into the cost of the rental. They know people are going to beat on these cars, thats why they charge so much for them....

And as far as DNR goes, my wife is still good to go so Amy, if you put out another "H" I am all over it.......... with nitrous....

Archived