TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pricing -- Ouch

TTitus

When I was a kid, my family didn't have much money. With most of my family being mechanics, it seemed that my dad and every single one of my uncles were able to pick up on a fixer-upper of some sort and semi-restore it back to beauty. One uncle had a 69 GTO Judge, my dad had a 68 GTO, another had a 67 Camaro, another had a Firebird (I don't recall the year, but if memory serves, it was a 68 as well). We even had an El Camino in the bunch. I remember when I was a kid, all of my family was standing around in a bunch and I said "I like your cars, but when I get older, I'm gonna own something better!" They all chuckled and said "Oh yeah, what are you going to buy?" I enthusiastically responded "I want a Shelby GT 500!".

The tone sort of got despondent and quiet. My dad said "don't we all."

Since those days, I've been working my tail so I could live up to that promise. I am finally in a position where I can buy the new models. I excitedly talk to a Ford rep and ask "where can I get one of these Shelby GT 500s?" His eyes widen and he says, "You are in luck, we have ONE left. It's selling for $20K over MSRP and we need the non-refundable $20K deposit now if you want it."

What in the world! I mean, don't get me wrong, the idea of just owning a car like that would be worth it to me, but greed at the dealers is keeping me out of the market. I've called around and this seems standard. This is killing me. I have been salivating over the idea of driving this car across country to visit my family and letting them all, one by one, take it out for a spin. I've been salivating over it since I heard these things were going to be produced.

I'm devastated. Has anyone found a way to buy one at a more-affordable cost?

[Edit] Sorry, didn't mean to post this under this group, but I somehow did. Forgive the placement.

I have the same feeling that you do about the car, and I've been looking forward to it longer than most people. I placed my pre-order in March, 2005. So it's been a long wait now only to find out my dealer will be ratcheting up the price like everyone else. Even though I'm 1st on the list, I can't afford anything over 50k. So, I'm considering other options. It's not just the "Shelby" name that matters any more. I'm disillusioned and fed up over the whole situation now. Most of us aren't a prick like Jay Leno who buys 2,000 cars every year, including the first 07 GT500. (Couldn't he live with, say, 10 of his favorite cars, cut back on his excessive self indulgence, and use his money to help people in need around the world?).

I'm looking into alternatives right now. I'd like to see a complete CS6 customer car, with a review and opinion about it in completed form. I love the design...although I'd change some things in my own version, like a decklid trim panel instead of a rear wing, and Roush's square rear exhaust integrated into the valence instead of stock GT exhaust. I also don't like the 20" wheels...18's would be better, IMO. Also, I'd probably pick up a pair of "Signature" shelby seats from unique performance. Going the V8 route, you can get a Saleen or Roush supercharger for about $4500 and get an easy 450 hp with a few minor things like exhaust, throttle body, and tune. All of these options will still set you back 10-15k less than a GT500's markup.

So, I know exactly how you feel.... Your option is to build something really cool (while saving a ton of money) or wait for the 2008 GT500, which should be more accessible and reasonably priced next year, with the hype calmed down.

I have the same feeling that you do about the car, and I've been looking forward to it longer than most people. I placed my pre-order in March, 2005. So it's been a long wait now only to find out my dealer will be ratcheting up the price like everyone else. Even though I'm 1st on the list, I can't afford anything over 50k. So, I'm considering other options. It's not just the "Shelby" name that matters any more. I'm disillusioned and fed up over the whole situation now. Most of us aren't a prick like Jay Leno who buys 2,000 cars every year, including the first 07 GT500. (Couldn't he live with, say, 10 of his favorite cars, cut back on his excessive self indulgence, and use his money to help people in need around the world?).

I'm looking into alternatives right now. I'd like to see a complete CS6 customer car, with a review and opinion about it in completed form. I love the design...although I'd change some things in my own version, like a decklid trim panel instead of a rear wing, and Roush's square rear exhaust integrated into the valence instead of stock GT exhaust. I also don't like the 20" wheels...18's would be better, IMO. Also, I'd probably pick up a pair of "Signature" shelby seats from unique performance. Going the V8 route, you can get a Saleen or Roush supercharger for about $4500 and get an easy 450 hp with a few minor things like exhaust, throttle body, and tune. All of these options will still set you back 10-15k less than a GT500's markup.

So, I know exactly how you feel.... Your option is to build something really cool (while saving a ton of money) or wait for the 2008 GT500, which should be more accessible and reasonably priced next year, with the hype calmed down.

I feel the same way. I tracked the GT500 until the CS6 came out. I liked the look of the CS6 better plus the idea that I wouldn't have fight waiting lines or dealer markups. The fact that it would VIN out as a V6 mustang and have lower insurance rates and a much lower car tax (property tax) in Virginia would be a major, major plus. Unfortunately, Shelby Corp decided to jerk us around with this car. It will be available through our authorized dealers. No, it will only be available as a serialized car through our Las Vegas facility. We are waiting on pricing. The pricing is out but we've decided to hold off until we do the GT-H. We are not doing the car now or in the forseeable future but we will have an important anouncement at some time in the (distant) future. Yada, yada, yada. Both Ford with their dealer greed and Shelby with their CS6 games (I can't of another word to use) are disgusting me. An acquantance of mine was going to do the CS6 deal at same time as me. He got so fed up, he dropped the whole Shelby thing and went out and bought a 'serialized' stage-3 Roush. It is Available and Will be delivered in early June. It's a bad way to do business (at both Ford and Shelby) and bad business drives away customers.

I can't even afford much more than MSRP. I guess I'm just naive for thinking I could afford one in the first place.

My uncle just sold his GTO Judge a few months back, but the thing that makes me proud of him is that he sold it for $15,000 -- fully restored. He has had offers on that car for $35-40K and has always said "Its not for sale." Well, my uncle owns a towing business and happened to be helping out this kid. When my uncle pulled the car back to his shop the kids eyes got huge when he saw the judge sitting there. The kid started rattling off the car's origional specs and asking my uncle about how he was able to scrounge up the parts to restore it. The kid didn't even ask if my uncle was going to sell it. In fact he told my uncle that he had a really nice car and he should hold onto it no matter what. That's when my uncle asked the kid if he was interested in buying it. The kid said all he had was $15K but he was saving up to start restoring one for himself. My uncle sold it to him on a handshake for $15K -- and an agreement that he'd bring it by now and again for a paint touch-up (living in the Ohio valley, the weather can be pretty brutal on a vehicle like that).

Anyway, these are the type of people I grew up around. People who held principle over finance. It's why I guess I was so naive to think I could get a car like this for a reasonable price.

I'd like to say that a CS6 is an option for me too, but by the time I buy the V6 mustang, buy the parts, and pay someone to help me assemble the car part-time, I'd be over the MSRP of the car I really want. I just don't have that kind of money. I also don't know where I can find a 05 V6 anywhere now. I visited a few lots this morning and all I saw was 06 models.

I'm just gonna buy some die-casts and ship those out as presents to my family. It obviously won't be the same thing as letting them drive the real thing -- or borrow it from me -- but I have to resign myself to the fact that my eyes are bigger than my wallet.

I feel the same way. I tracked the GT500 until the CS6 came out. I liked the look of the CS6 better plus the idea that I wouldn't have fight waiting lines or dealer markups. The fact that it would VIN out as a V6 mustang and have lower insurance rates and a much lower car tax (property tax) in Virginia would be a major, major plus. Unfortunately, Shelby Corp decided to jerk us around with this car. It will be available through our authorized dealers. No, it will only be available as a serialized car through our Las Vegas facility. We are waiting on pricing. The pricing is out but we've decided to hold off until we do the GT-H. We are not doing the car now or in the forseeable future but we will have an important anouncement at some time in the (distant) future. Yada, yada, yada. Both Ford with their dealer greed and Shelby with their CS6 games (I can't of another word to use) are disgusting me. An acquantance of mine was going to do the CS6 deal at same time as me. He got so fed up, he dropped the whole Shelby thing and went out and bought a 'serialized' stage-3 Roush. It is Available and Will be delivered in early June. It's a bad way to do business (at both Ford and Shelby) and bad business drives away customers.

Ouch! :) But I would have to agree with you on most of your points. Shelby Autos is not a big operation, though. They're hand-building the Hertz GT-H fleet. I believe the CS6 will be available in July, but still no word on documentation. Let's suppose the GT-H builds are all finished by June. I think S-A will resume work on the CS6, based on what I've picked out of the forum here for the last few weeks.

Going from a CS6 to a RS3 (out of frustration?) is quite a big leap considering those cars are $60k. I don't think it's worth anywhere near that price given it's only 417 hp. You can buy the RoushCharger for $5k and install it on your own GT with a few Roush body mods and end up with almost the same car, and with more hp. I don't understand the appeal of a $60k RS3. What justifies that price?

Going from a CS6 to a RS3 (out of frustration?) is quite a big leap considering those cars are $60k. I don't think it's worth anywhere near that price given it's only 417 hp. You can buy the RoushCharger for $5k and install it on your own GT with a few Roush body mods and end up with almost the same car, and with more hp. I don't understand the appeal of a $60k RS3. What justifies that price?

Yeah, if I can't afford MSRP+20K on a Shelby, I can't afford $60K on a stage 3 roush. And Roush doesn't hold any history for me or my family. If I could afford $60K, I'd put it on a Shelby over a Roush or Saleen or Boss or "Sinister" or anything else -- any day.

Yeah, if I can't afford MSRP+20K on a Shelby, I can't afford $60K on a stage 3 roush. And Roush doesn't hold any history for me or my family. If I could afford $60K, I'd put it on a Shelby over a Roush or Saleen or Boss or "Sinister" or anything else -- any day.

He got a deal on the Roush and paid no where near $60k (I am not liberty to say exactly how much). Try to get a deal on a GT500.

He got a deal on the Roush and paid no where near $60k (I am not liberty to say exactly how much). Try to get a deal on a GT500.

Good for him, but getting a "deal" on a GT500 is proving elusive. I have pretty much given up home on getting one of these, but will enjoy seeing them on the road -- at least someone can afford/enjoy them right?

Ouch! :) But I would have to agree with you on most of your points. Shelby Autos is not a big operation, though. They're hand-building the Hertz GT-H fleet. I believe the CS6 will be available in July, but still no word on documentation. Let's suppose the GT-H builds are all finished by June. I think S-A will resume work on the CS6, based on what I've picked out of the forum here for the last few weeks.

you know this is always the dilema when there is high demand. I liken it to concert tickets and playoff tickets, although this is certainly greater, it is the same principal. If you want the gt500 and have the $$ buy it, in the long run the 20K will cme back to you in enjoyment. If you can't buy it for that price, hang in there are Shelby's being discussed right now. And there is the CS6.

Amy

B)-->

QUOTE(Amy B @ May 7 2006, 09:05 PM) 240[/snapback]

you know this is always the dilema when there is high demand. I liken it to concert tickets and playoff tickets, although this is certainly greater, it is the same principal. If you want the gt500 and have the $$ buy it, in the long run the 20K will cme back to you in enjoyment. If you can't buy it for that price, hang in there are Shelby's being discussed right now. And there is the CS6.

Amy

There's no doubt about that! The problem is, the only way I can see me getting a CS6 is if I build it myself. Once you guys put a CS6 out the door of your own assembly, they'll be marked up at the dealership too. I just don't have the manpower in my circle of friends to help me put one together myself. In any case, I'll just keep saving my pennies. Maybe in another 10-20 years or so, you guys will put one out that I can afford.

There's no doubt about that! The problem is, the only way I can see me getting a CS6 is if I build it myself. Once you guys put a CS6 out the door of your own assembly, they'll be marked up at the dealership too. I just don't have the manpower in my circle of friends to help me put one together myself. In any case, I'll just keep saving my pennies. Maybe in another 10-20 years or so, you guys will put one out that I can afford.

There are plenty of 2005 V6 Mustangs going for a very reasonable rate of around $15k. I just ran across one the other day, exactly the same color as the CS6 prototype, for that price. Lemme check... Here's an example: ebay link, just by doing a quick search you can narrow it down to manual transmissions if you want. You could build a complete CS6 for $30k plus labor going this route.

There are plenty of 2005 V6 Mustangs going for a very reasonable rate of around $15k. I just ran across one the other day, exactly the same color as the CS6 prototype, for that price. Lemme check... Here's an example: ebay link, just by doing a quick search you can narrow it down to manual transmissions if you want. You could build a complete CS6 for $30k plus labor going this route.

Yeah, I found a couple as well. I re-read the specs on the parts and it says 2005+, so apparently I can buy a 2006 mustang as well. In either case I'm still doing the research before I start buying things. I'm still not sure if I want to go this route. The CS6 may blow the doors off of a GT, but just won't have the same "growl" that the GT has -- and definitely no where near what the GT500 would have.

Too many factors right now. I may just hold off and admire the car from a distance. <sigh>

Yeah, I found a couple as well. I re-read the specs on the parts and it says 2005+, so apparently I can buy a 2006 mustang as well. In either case I'm still doing the research before I start buying things. I'm still not sure if I want to go this route. The CS6 may blow the doors off of a GT, but just won't have the same "growl" that the GT has -- and definitely no where near what the GT500 would have.

Too many factors right now. I may just hold off and admire the car from a distance. <sigh>

Titus, take your time, do not buy unless you are getting what you want. A side note n the CS6, with Duel exhaust and all the other changes we have made, this car has a rumble :)

A 2006 will convert the same as a 2005. As for exhaust note, I have seen a recording (with sound) of the car running and it doesn't sound like any V6 I've ever heard. It sounds more V8 than the GT does.

• 3 months later...

A 2006 will convert the same as a 2005. As for exhaust note, I have seen a recording (with sound) of the car running and it doesn't sound like any V6 I've ever heard. It sounds more V8 than the GT does.

For all you people out there that are questioning the sound of the V6 with dual exhaust....I just recently had mine done with an X pipe and Flowmaster mufflers for the GT and it sounds AWESOME. Ive got a friend that has a stock GT and the exhaust on my V6 sounds meaner ad more growly than his. Every penny of this upgrade was well worth it. Only downside is that its pretty loud inside the car but insulation between the sheetmetal and the trunk liner will deaden some of that. Also, in my opinion, do it right and get an aftermarket rear fascia or a GT one. Ive seen pics of stock V6 bumpers that have been cut and it looks horrible. I bought a nice car, I want to keep it nice.

• 1 month later...

Titus, I would advise you to just hold off. GT500 prices (dealer mark-ups) are dropping off weekly. If you search Autotrader, you will find some at $5-$10k over now. And there were a couple that went at list (they went in a second). You can sort by distance & price, so it's pretty helpful. Ford is building these at a rate of about 800/month, and some of the hype is cooling off. Once winter hits, and the Shelby GT hits, this will alleviate some of the market pressure. If that doesn't help, the Challenger & Camaro are on their way, plus 2008 production of the '500 and Shelby GT. If you can wait, you will be rewarded. Think: you waited this long, if it was worth it to wait then a few more months will not kill. Plus, you'll have more cash! Now, you , Shelby GT, or CS6!!! Not so bad, right? :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

Titus, I would advise you to just hold off. GT500 prices (dealer mark-ups) are dropping off weekly. If you search Autotrader, you will find some at $5-$10k over now. And there were a couple that went at list (they went in a second). You can sort by distance & price, so it's pretty helpful. Ford is building these at a rate of about 800/month, and some of the hype is cooling off. Once winter hits, and the Shelby GT hits, this will alleviate some of the market pressure. If that doesn't help, the Challenger & Camaro are on their way, plus 2008 production of the '500 and Shelby GT. If you can wait, you will be rewarded. Think: you waited this long, if it was worth it to wait then a few more months will not kill. Plus, you'll have more cash! Now, you , Shelby GT, or CS6!!! Not so bad, right? :blink:

Agreed Crispy, just wait a little longer and it should stabilize more.

• 1 month later...

Agreed Crispy, just wait a little longer and it should stabilize more.

Seems to be relaxing since your last post, but on e-bay their still (asking) for $10k over. They are not moving nearly as quickly anymore at $10k over--on ebay. Many are ending without being sold. The few that are going away, I suspect, are being done by backdoor deals for around (my guess) $5k over. There are even some deals being advertised at $5 over, but you have to look hard and move fast...

When I bought my "06 Mustang GT on Nov 11th, 2006, I was talking to the sales mgr. where I bought my car. We were discussing the GT500 I said, "What are you getting over sticker for it?" He said, "What? We don't charge over sticker, we sell 'em at MSRP, in fact, we don't sell anything over sticker, period"!

I was surprised!!! It is Fette Ford in Clifton, NJ (Probably have to wait for '08, I've heard all the '07s are spoken for...is that true?)

When I bought my "06 Mustang GT on Nov 11th, 2006, I was talking to the sales mgr. where I bought my car. We were discussing the GT500 I said, "What are you getting over sticker for it?" He said, "What? We don't charge over sticker, we sell 'em at MSRP, in fact, we don't sell anything over sticker, period"!

I was surprised!!! It is Fette Ford in Clifton, NJ (Probably have to wait for '08, I've heard all the '07s are spoken for...is that true?)

My understanding is that dealers ordered all of the '07 500s. They are not all sold by any means, but a number that did show up (ordered by dealers) did get snapped up. There seem to be a number that have not sold yet due to high ADM (Additional Dealer Mark-up). They are out there, unsold. Hope this helps.

Archived