TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Wall Street Journal

JETSOLVER

WSJ_GT500.pdf :fan: This one better have caught some eyes at World headquaters or most of us are doomed....D :censored: it Ford, FIX this. I get so frustrated when I have to hope that you sell less cars so the ADM market goes to insane as opposed to cosmic. :banghead:

Headquaters does not give a rats :censored: about the ADM.

If you want to play THIS year you will have to pay! :doh:

Nice article slamming Ford for not putting a reign on their dealers.

Also comments regarding the 'cheap feel' I can relate to. It's just too bad that the product management for the GT500 doesn't seem to wanna listen either. But in their defense, I guess they are also under the gun to keeps costs managable, but to what costs in the end? Standard negative public perception of their creation? Hmmm...

Headquaters does not give a rats :censored: about the ADM.

If you want to play THIS year you will have to pay! :doh:

Thats true. However the fact that the car is getting press about the ADM and not the car has to colour any arguement about letting the practice go on. I wonder what other good things might have been typed if the first couple of inches had not been about another dissapointed customer. And its not like they have to suffer through this. It kills me to see this car slammed for stuff that doesn't have anything to do with the car itself!!

Regarding the car itself, I'd have to say that the article is a bit of a slam.

I get the feeling that the Author doesn't quite get what a Mustang is and doesn't appreciate it's liniage and heritage.

Overly Expensive? Yes when ADM'ed in. However at MSRP I think not. It's the Cheapest 500HP Production Car made.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't take the article as slamming Ford for not controlling ADM...nor as slamming ADM generally. It simply tells what has happened with respect to additional markup. Then it questions whether the GT500 is even worth MSRP and points out that the premiums probably won't last. Me thinks some here are reading into the article what they'd like to hear: ADM bad...customer screwed.

As I've mentioned in another thread, the real issue here is that the current demand outstrips the current supply when priced at MSRP. If that is the case, then we have an rationing problem. Despite all the bitching, I still have not heard a single alternative rationing or allocation scheme that is better than ADM ("better" meaning it is more efficient in terms of overhead and minimizes redistribution of wealth). ADM is efficient in both effort and wealth transfer.

So, for those who think ADM is a travesty, let's hear a better way to allocate cars. To head off a couple at the pass, first come/first serve is spiced with even more problems than ADM. And requiring cars to be sold at MSRP creates a huge waiting list...which means you'll wait to get the car at MSRP just as most will do under the "ADM regime."

For those who have not found a good deal on the car, be happy about this article. Bad press helps reduce demand. So, this article ( a ) basically calls the GT500 a premium-priced inexpensive Mustang in fancy clothes, and ( b ) inaccurately implies you'll have to pay $73k to get one any time soon.

I think ordering directly from Ford would be a nice alternative. Just pay Ford MSRP! Too bad it's not a real option...it's been talked about before here. :shrug:

Yep, I'd love that option mainly because I don't get much love from my dealer. :wacko:

This would solve the pain in my :censored: of shopping around and talking to arrogant dealers. But there would still be an allocation issue. More buyers than cars (at least in the early months). And, it doesn't address the first come/first serve issue of wealth transfer (e.g. speculators will step in and buy up early cars and then resell them at a profit...a "secondary market" ADM for those who want their car early).

So, if ordering from Ford direct at MSRP was the process, it would lead to purchases at MSRP but also a long wait. And it would transfer wealth from Ford's dealer network to speculators. So, at the end of the day we'd still have ( a ) a long wait to get a car at MSRP (...talking in the aggregate...some would get it sooner, some later), and ( b ) huge unjustified transfer of wealth from dealers to speculators and end users (...I know, I know, some think that the wealth of the ADM shouldn't go to the dealers, but they are the rightful owners of that wealth. They are the ones maintaining a retail outlet and service facility. Someone will benefit from high demand/low supply and dealers are the justified beneficiaries because they have not only accepted the associated risk but they have literally purchased that right. And, at the end of the day, the US is the richest nation in the world because we have the strongest protection for private property rights. It certainly isn't because we're have the biggest reserve of natural resources. This is a very very important point. And, remember, I don't even like most dealers.)

Ford would only step in if it was hurting sales of a given vehicle. Its supply and demand.

The GTO was not selling well AT ALL when it came out. GM was pissed because dealers marked them up so high only the people who "HAD TO HAVE IT" bought one. So GM opened their mouth and they started ot sell.

I think that as others have stated here and elsewhere, that prices will fall as supply ramps up. Although it also been said that Ford has communicated with dealers with regards to ADM, I don't think Ford management will actually step in and enforce any restricive policy even if it turns out that sales of the GT500 tank right out of the box. I guess we'll all see soon enough.

Regarding the car itself, I'd have to say that the article is a bit of a slam.

I get the feeling that the Author doesn't quite get what a Mustang is and doesn't appreciate it's liniage and heritage.

Overly Expensive? Yes when ADM'ed in. However at MSRP I think not. It's the Cheapest 500HP Production Car made.

I agree totally. A bit of a slam on the article.

Oh w'ell, I'll take it as a huge compliment to see that my $42k car can make an article in the Wall Street Journal.

Your right - You cant even get close to this car in Performance / Handling for much less than 90-100K. Have a look at the Road Track issue with the Shelby write up, go to the back of the magazine where they have the performance comparisons of the cars they have reviewed. This will tell you the story of what we are getting for our money. Nothing comes close at this price range.

Pretty typical for the press and people to point out the negatives. Especially those people that may really want this car but are not lucky enought o be getting one. This is exactly the type of hype thats gonna keep our cars more valuable than they really are, JMO

Pretty typical for the press and people to point out the negatives. Especially those people that may really want this car but are not lucky enought o be getting one. This is exactly the type of hype thats gonna keep our cars more valuable than they really are, JMO

If you're not a "muscle car" fan or if you don't go nuts over the Shelby badge, then I think the author is dead-on...the car is not a great deal. But if you like muscle cars or otherwise appreciate the Shelby badge or lineage, then the car at its price is a home run.

I get the sense the author doesn't fit into the muscle car club...and I'm guessing most of the readers of the Journal don't, either. So, he'll feel a BMW is a better deal. Or a Corvette. And I bet most Journal readers would agree. I don't think this is a case of someone not "lucky" enough to get one talking smack.

I think this type of hype will reduce the demand for the car rather than keep the cars more "valuable than they really are." It's a good thing if you're waiting for MSRP.

WSJ_GT500.pdf :fan: This one better have caught some eyes at World headquaters or most of us are doomed....D :censored: it Ford, FIX this. I get so frustrated when I have to hope that you sell less cars so the ADM market goes to insane as opposed to cosmic. :banghead:

I would imagine Bill Ford gets the Wall Street Journal if not I will send him a copy.

If you're not a "muscle car" fan or if you don't go nuts over the Shelby badge, then I think the author is dead-on...the car is not a great deal. But if you like muscle cars or otherwise appreciate the Shelby badge or lineage, then the car at its price is a home run.

I get the sense the author doesn't fit into the muscle car club...and I'm guessing most of the readers of the Journal don't, either. So, he'll feel a BMW is a better deal. Or a Corvette.

jrichard

I think you are missing my point.

Go get the issue of Road & Track with the Shelby review. Near the back of that issue Road & Track shows all of the stats. for all of the cars that they have reviewed (Keep in mind that Road & Track is probably the most respected / honest / unbias car review magazines out there).

Have a look at it and you will see that the Shelby is actually way underpriced when comparing to cars with similar performance / handling characteristics. In fact its very interesting to see that when it comes to the handling side of the equation that the only comparable cars are the sprots cars, think of that, all these years they said that muscle cars are only good in straight lines. Do you see where I am going with this.

My point is that have a look and you will quickly see that Ford has made a muscle car that can compete with some of the top Sports Cars on the market at a price that is very attractive compared to the price of those cars.

Just the facts my friend, just facts.

Look out sports car fanatics - A new muscle car era has begun.

I absolutely agree that the car provides big performance bang for the buck. Even the WSJ author would agree. In fact, that was the point of my post. That's why I called the car a home-run from a "muscle car" standpoint.

But, performance wasn't what was criticized in the article. The article was critical of cheap materials, clunky seats, mediocre street handling, etc. I'm fine with all of that stuff because the performance of the car at this price point dominates for me (e.g. I'm a muscle car club member). But these criticisms are exactly why the author compared the car to a BMW...because the intended audience of the article addresses folks more concerned about refinement than straight-line performance and horsepower figures. And critical articles certainly won't increase demand...an article like this one probably has no effect on demand, but, if it does, it will be to decrease demand.

I absolutely agree that the car provides big performance bang for the buck. Even the WSJ author would agree. In fact, that was the point of my post. That's why I called the car a home-run from a "muscle car" standpoint.

But, performance wasn't what was criticized in the article. The article was critical of cheap materials, clunky seats, mediocre street handling, etc. I'm fine with all of that stuff because the performance of the car at this price point dominates for me (e.g. I'm a muscle car club member). But these criticisms are exactly why the author compared the car to a BMW...because the intended audience of the article addresses folks more concerned about refinement than straight-line performance and horsepower figures. And critical articles certainly won't increase demand...an article like this one probably has no effect on demand, but, if it does, it will be to decrease demand.

Good Points JRichard. I agree with them all, except the handling comment.

I guess w'ell see what the guys that have gotten their cars say about the interiors and the materials. The Motor Trend road trip article said that the interior was very good and more than comfortable for their 13hr days in it. Your right though - The Shelby is basic inside, no fancy refinements or toys like a lot of the cars that it is being compared to. This car is so good that it is being elevated and compared to a class of cars that are way above it by the press and general public. On the handling side of things I have read more positive comments than negative.

I am sure that we will be getting some good solid feedback from the people on this site that have actually gotten their cars very soon. How can you put any value in an article from some Wall Street dude that did a test drive in Manhatten traffic. Sorry N Y'kers but are car like this does not belong in your city to start with, stick with the Smart cars.

Hats Off to Ford. Too bad we cant get our cars quick enough. :shrug:

>If you're not a "muscle car" fan or if you don't go nuts over the Shelby badge, then I think the author is dead-on...the car is not a great deal. But if you like muscle cars or otherwise appreciate the Shelby badge or lineage, then the car at its price is a home run.

My thoughts exactly. It is not a sophisticated car. It has Shelby on the decklid, 500hp and lots of nostalgia. Most of the people buy one will buy it one of those reasons.

I think ordering directly from Ford would be a nice alternative. Just pay Ford MSRP! Too bad it's not a real option...it's been talked about before here. :shrug:

If that's the case we should be able to buy everything direct from the manufacturer - Electronics, music, tools, you name it. Let's eliminate ALL of the middlemen! Let's get rid of all of those damn retail stores and the ability to go down to your local store and deal with somebody in person when you have a service issue. Somehow I think that's really a bad idea.

Archived