TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My ride in the shelby this weekend

Ok guys as some of you know I not only get to see the shelby I also got to ride in it. The head of Ford Marketing was at the wheel and left 30 ft marks leaving the parking lot. He was a great guy and a true enthusiast. We were riding in an 07 white vert with blue side stripes. While were on our ride and this gentleman in an 03 cobra pulls up and our driver asks if he has the pink slip :D . Needless to say he didn't hold back on his driving in straight lines and cornering and all I can really say is I was impressed. This car is very docile. By that mean its the smoothest and quietest mustang I have ridden in. There was plenty of room in the backseat and it sat really deep like the old style seats with the sides coming around you. The car itself felt really solid. There was no cowl shake and it didn't step out when pushed around the corners. The brakes stopped on a dime and there was minimal tire spin. When cornering the car did not tip and was completely neutral. I remember when Ed got his 03 vert and this one definately pins you in your seat harder. The seats where blah for me because I felt there wasn't enough bolstering. But then again the mach has plenty of bolstering and is a very supportive and comfortable seat to compare it to. I also noticed That the steering wheel was quite a bit smaller than what I percieved by the pictures I have seen. The leather was nice and completely covered the rim and spokes. The shift light worked very well. It was large enough and bright enough to be seen from the back seat in broad daylight so you won't need an aftermarket one. The clutch was about half as hard as the mach and was weighted really well. The shifter still had slop so I would recommend getting an aftermarket shifter.I also got a q and a session and the following is what was gleaned:

1. The boss will make an appearance under the Boss 302 monniker and will be a 5 Liter engine. The car has been presented many times but has not been given the green because it is 95-97% what they want it to be. In his own words it will not be released until its right, but it will be released.

2. SVT as a seperate brand will no longer exist. All the buildings phones etc. will no longer exist and is being combined with frpp. SVT will be heavily involved in parts development for all vehicles and will continue to offer niche vehicles (lightning, cobra). He said we will know more about the plan later this year. He also said if you are not happy in five years come see me. He said a lot of the mystery involved is because they are restructuring and trying to build all the processes etc back up.

3.There will be 9000 shelby's produced for this year and he alluded to a 3 year planned model run.

4. The twin screw from ford racing will be available for 100 hp bolt on and there will be a pulley swap (not requiring a snout change) worth 50 hp again from frpp.

5. There will be an all wheel drive fusion intorduced in September.

6. Ford is currently looking at approximately 15 mustang variants to build and have already engineered past the gt500, the challenger (to be built as a 2008 model) and camaro. Apparently the camaro is being held up due to management input and the final configuration of how the rear will look.

7. Ford will continue to work with the aftermarket and will offer the powerpacks for 6-cylinder mustangs. The duratek will not make it into the mustang and there are plans to add 20-30 hp and a better driveline to the current 6-cylinder variant.

8. The quarter mile times ford was getting is internal only but they were close to evan smiths with a wink.

9. 2009 and 2010 will be a model re-fit but depending on what the other manufactures do will be a determining factor.

10. Ford plans to lead the competitors and not engineer to play catch-up.

Overall I was very impressed. You couldn't feel the weight and it was a really nice car. :) I took some pics and I am trying to get my comp fixed. I will post as soon as I can.

Roger

Ok guys as some of you know I not only get to see the shelby I also got to ride in it. The head of Ford Marketing was at the wheel and left 30 ft marks leaving the parking lot. He was a great guy and a true enthusiast. We were riding in an 05 white vert with blue side stripes. While were on our ride and this gentleman in an 03 cobra pulls up and our driver asks if he has the pink slip :D . Needless to say he didn't hold back on his driving in straight lines and cornering and all I can really say is I was impressed. This car is very docile. By that mean its the smoothest and quietest mustang I have ridden in. There was plenty of room in the backseat and it sat really deep like the old style seats with the sides coming around you. The car itself felt really solid. There was no cowl shake and it didn't step out when pushed around the corners. The brakes stopped on a dime and there was minimal tire spin. When cornering the car did not tip and was completely neutral. I remember when Ed got his 03 vert and this one definately pins you in your seat harder. The seats where blah for me because I felt there was enough bolstering. But then again the mach has plenty of bolstering and is a very supportive and comfortable seat. I also noticed That the steering wheel was quite a bit smaller than what I percieved by the pictures I have seen. The leather was nice and completely covered the rim and spokes. The shift light worked very well. It was large enough and bright enough to be seen from the back seat in broad daylight so you won't need an aftermarket one. The clutch was about half as hard as the mach and was weighted really well. The shifter still had slop so I would recommend getting an aftermarket shifter.I also got a q and a session and the following is what was gleaned:

1. The boss will make an appearance under the Boss 302 monniker and will be a 5 Liter engine. The car has been presented many times but has not been given the green because it is 95-97% what they want it to be. In his own words it will not be released until its right, but it will be released.

2. SVT as a seperate brand will no longer exist. All the buildings phones etc. will no longer exist and is being combined with frpp. SVT will be heavily involved in parts development for all vehicles and will continue to offer niche vehicles (lightning, cobra). He said we will know more about the plan later this year. He also said if you are not happy in five years come see me. He said a lot of the mystery involved is because they are restructuring and trying to build all the processes etc back up.

3.There will be 9000 shelby's produced for this year and he alluded to a 3 year planned model run.

4. The twin screw from ford racing will be available for 100 hp bolt on and there will be a pulley swap (not requiring a snout change) worth 50 hp again from frpp.

5. There will be an all wheel drive fusion intorduced in September.

6. Ford is currently looking at approximately 15 mustang variants to build and have already engineered past the gt500, the challenger (to be built as a 2008 model) and camaro. Apparently the camaro is being held up due to management input and the final configuration of how the rear will look.

7. Ford will continue to work with the aftermarket and will offer the powerpacks for 6-cylinder mustangs. The duratek will not make it into the mustang and there are plans to add 20-30 hp and a better driveline to the current 6-cylinder variant.

8. The quarter mile times ford was getting is internal only but they were close to evan smiths with a wink.

9. 2009 and 2010 will be a model re-fit but depending on what the other manufactures do will be a determining factor.

10. Ford plans to lead the competitors and not engineer to play catch-up.

Overall I was very impressed. You couldn't feel the weight and it was a really nice car. :) I took some pics and I am trying to get my comp fixed. I will post as soon as I can.

Roger

Wow! Thank you! Great info.

Thanks for the information.

Fortunately for those that haven't found a good gt500 deal yet, stuff like this is great information.

( a ) The GT500 will not be the end of "specialty" performance Mustangs. Sounds like it's the start.

( b ) Ford is expecting serious competition from D-C and GM.

( c ) Ford does not want to be in a position of playing "catch-up," but the driving force wrt product development will be what the other guys are doing and providing a better product in advance.

All of this is what we've anticipated...and it'll drive pricing down (...starting with ADM and showing its best result in terms of getting much more quality and peformance for your dollar as time passes).

BTW they are discouraging delaers from the mark-ups and want them to conentrate on relationship buidling. Sorry I forgot to ask about the PL holders :(

too bad most of the the dealers are NOT paying any attention to Ford's recommendation with regards to ADM.

BTW they are discouraging delaers from the mark-ups and want them to conentrate on relationship buidling.

I guess Ford doesn't have a very big stick when it comes to this issue.

For me, ADM is not such a big issue since I view it as the best way to allocate the initial production of GT500s. In my search to buy one of these cars, I've come across a number of dealers that impressed me. These are upright and honest guys who acted as though they appreciated my interest in purchasing a car from them. Almost all were charging ADM.

One of these "good guys" sent me an unrequested copy of the GT500 Frontline magazine with a brief but nice note attached. I'm on the "list" at that dealership...probably too far down to get a 2007. And he's charging ADM (...he hasn't set his price yet...). But, the fact is that he's kept me better informed than any other dealer I've dealt with...including the dealer from which I currently have a deal for an '07.

Unfortunately, most of my experience calling around for a car has not been so good. I've found many of the dealers I've talked to presented an arrogant front...as if I would be lucky to even get on the waiting list. Many also came off as simply greedy salesmen as opposed to "car guys" and acted as if I was wasting their time. Some wanted significant deposits ($3-5k) to even put my name down. When I was referred to the GM or sales manager or "the guy handling those sales"...many did not return my call.

All in all, I don't think many of the dealers will benefit from "relationship building" associated with sales of the GT500.

Thanks for the great info, but as for this detail--I'll believe it when I see it.

I think the white Vert is the same one that was at the SAAC convention for about 4 hrs one day before they took off for Florida. It is a proto-type, and is slated to be crushed. I found the marketing people very uninformed (particularly the gal). Two years ago at SAAC a vice president of Ford (Chris Theodore) who was in charge of both the Ford GT and Shelby GT500 programs told a number of people that the GT500 was going to be built for as long as there was a demand for the car, and that everyone who wanted one would be able to order one. I now understand Mr. Theodore has been put out to pasture so to speak. Marketing people are low on my list when it comes to veracity, that is not their game. Thanks for your observations and info, but I will wait to drive a production car.

wtcobra

Thanks, Mach1 - great write up. :shift:

The blower issue interests me, because I'm going to add one to my inbound GT.

Roush warranties the entire drivetrain for 3/36 if you buy their blower.

FFRP told me last week no warranty at all with their forthcoming Whipple blower.

Kinda hard to go with Ford Racing when Roush is providing engine coverage.

"That don't make no sense!"

Thanks for the informative post Mach1...well written.

I can't tell from your info...is the pulley swap intended only for the twin screw sc, or can it be added to the base engine roots type sc also? I'm wondering when he said a 50 HP gain whether he meant above base or above the 100 for the twin screw. If he was saying 100 HP for the twin screw, then an ADDITIONAL 50 HP for a pulley swap, then I'm getting worried about the durability of the remaining drivetrain components. I'm sure most of you guys/gals know more than I do about the Ford drivetrains of the past...but most of this one appears new/modified, such as the trans, clutch, differential. 650 HP is quite a bit to be putting through all those components...yikes. But then again, perhaps I'm misreading your comment. :wacko:

Dave

Mach 1- Here are some photos of the car that was at the SAAC gathering. Look familiar? My son is in the Tungsten GT, which belongs to a friend.

post-5553-1152589520_thumb.jpgpost-5553-1152589566_thumb.jpgpost-5553-1152589649_thumb.jpgpost-5553-1152589811_thumb.jpgpost-5553-1152589937_thumb.jpgpost-5553-1152590028_thumb.jpg

Mach 1- Here are some photos of the car that was at the SAAC gathering. Look familiar? My son is in the Tungsten GT, which belongs to a friend.

post-5553-1152589520_thumb.jpgpost-5553-1152589566_thumb.jpgpost-5553-1152589566_thumb.jpgpost-5553-1152589649_thumb.jpgpost-5553-1152589811_thumb.jpgpost-5553-1152589937_thumb.jpgpost-5553-1152590028_thumb.jpgpost-5553-1152590161_thumb.jpg

post-5553-1152589520_thumb.jpg

post-5553-1152589566_thumb.jpg

post-5553-1152589649_thumb.jpg

post-5553-1152589811_thumb.jpg

post-5553-1152589937_thumb.jpg

post-5553-1152590028_thumb.jpg

post-5553-1152590161_thumb.jpg

looks the same. I will have to go home tonight and compare plates to be sure. The pulley is a seperate 50 hp on the stock blower. The drivetrain should be able to handle 650 hp comfortably.

It's the same license plate! I drove this car and asked if it was a prototype car or stock! I was told that it was stock. I don't think there would be any reason to lie at this stage of the game.

post-4951-1152623783_thumb.jpg

post-4951-1152623783_thumb.jpg

Archived