TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gears

RUFDRAFT

Everyone seems to have an opinion on gear choices.

Some say 3.73 - 4.10 - 3.53....and on.

With about 425 crank hp - what's the choice gear for street performance - on street tires? :rockon:

I have had a wonderful time with the 373s in my 96... I don't race but sometimes

you just need to "GET AROUND" I find MPG seems to have improved with the type

driving I do. I've done nothing to the TERMINATOR, but after my run-in with a Vette

(paper plates still on it) on my way to Vegas, after 3 tries he could not keep up :shift:

I believe in leaving well enough alone so its stock, but exhaust on both, they hava to breath!

And my GT500 is not this fast..... I HIGHLY DOUGHT IT!!!!!!!!

Flatt - I talked - at length - to Ford Racing.

If I had an Interstate highway commute - I wouldn't go with 4.10's.

I drive 10 min to work.

This car will be mostly a stoplight encounter ride, you dig? :rockon:

I want to get out of hole, baby. :shift:

Flatt - I talked - at length - to Ford Racing.

If I had an Interstate highway commute - I wouldn't go with 4.10's.

I drive 10 min to work.

This car will be mostly a stoplight encounter ride, you dig? :rockon:

I want to get out of hole, baby. :shift:

You might have to up the lead to 6 car lengths. ;)

I'll let ya know! :happy feet:

And - I think the point is to go through the gears as fast as you can?

Some say the 4.10's would not suit 1/4 mile drag racing - because you might run out of 4th gear before the end of the 1/4.

I'll let ya know! :happy feet:

And - I think the point is to go through the gears as fast as you can?

Some say the 4.10's would not suit 1/4 mile drag racing - because you might run out of 4th gear before the end of the 1/4.

Bryan, I installed 4.30 gears in my 03 Mach 1. Used to go through the traps (1/4 mile) at redline in 3rd gear at 104 mph with the 3.55 gears. Now I go through the traps in 4th gear comfortably below redline at 105 mph. I chose 4.30's by doing the math to be sure that 4th gear's redline would be higher than I ever need at the 1/4 mile drags. Redline (6,800 rpm's) in my car in 4th gear is 121 mph. That's 16 mph of cushion should I ever modify my car enough to go that fast.

A GT500 has a 27" tall tire and redlines at 6,000 rpm's. Redline in 4th gear with the factory 3.31 gears would be 145 mph, while 4.10 gears would be 117 mph. That's a little too close considering that a stock GT500 should trap around 115-116 mph in the 1/4 mile. A 3.90 gearset is available and that would mean 4th gear redlines at 124 mph. If you want a little more cushion at the drags (in case you modify your GT500), go with 3.73's so that 4th gear can redline at 129 mph.

Bryan, MY BAD; I forgot you aren't buying a GT500, so what I told you above isn't very relevant for your new Mustang GT. SORRY!

With the lack of boost, and lower trap speeds from the 300hp GT's engine, go with 4.10's or 4.30's and you'll be very happy. I know I love the 4.30's in my Mach 1. No significant improvement in the 1/4 mile, but way better feel around town.

Five-oh - Great to hear from you again. Apparently, you're back from the road.

I hope you had a great time and had good weather!

Give us some details when you can.

And - thanks very much for taking the time for the gear advice!

I plan on putting on the Roush blower (unless the GT feels strong enough without it) - but still feel like 420 or so at the crank will be good with 4.10s for the street.

I remember my '03 bone stock Mach. With 4.30's - yeah baby! I'll bet you could pull a front wheel up with slicks! :rockon:

Good to have you back with us.

Bryan

Five-oh - Great to hear from you again. Apparently, you're back from the road.

I hope you had a great time and had good weather!

Give us some details when you can.

And - thanks very much for taking the time for the gear advice!

I plan on putting on the Roush blower (unless the GT feels strong enough without it) - but still feel like 420 or so at the crank will be good with 4.10s for the street.

I remember my '03 bone stock Mach. With 4.30's - yeah baby! I'll bet you could pull a front wheel up with slicks! :rockon:

Good to have you back with us.

Bryan

Thanks, Bryan.

We've been quite busy lately - with the family travelling and sales have been strong at work. Not much time to post anymore.

Can't quite get the front tires off the ground yet with the stump-pulling 4.30's (I have a set of drag radials that hook up rather well), but launches at the dragstrip feel plenty violent. Sometimes I pray that I'm not gonna break anything when I let 'er rip.

The 4.10's will be quite entertaining in your GT. The Roush blower will certainly add to the fun. I love that Roush uses a roots-style blower instead of a centrifugal type blower. Instant torque off idle! With the 4.10's and that instant boost, you're gonna be known for miles around as the tire-smoke king.

Well - the 4.10's from FRP came today! And - they were crafted in - Italy!

Wifey saw the box on the floor in my office. "Gears?" she asked. "Yes, honey," I said. "Isn't your Mustang going to come with some?" "Yes." "Then why do you need these?" "Well, honey, these are going to save us some money - they're going to cut down on my commute time and SAVE Gas!" :rockon:

Well - the 4.10's from FRP came today! And - they were crafted in - Italy!

Wifey saw the box on the floor in my office. "Gears?" she asked. "Yes, honey," I said. "Isn't your Mustang going to come with some?" "Yes." "Then why do you need these?" "Well, honey, these are going to save us some money - they're going to cut down on my commute time and SAVE Gas!" :rockon:

I'm glad to hear storys like this don't just happen at my house. I have been working over sea's the entire time we've had the 05'. Every time I talk with the Wife, storys about the car come up. It can turn into great some great conversations if both Love the Car. I can't wait for His and Her Pics and the first storys of the Shelby parked in the shop.... YES, Parked until I get home. :banghead:

??? You haven't (he?) gotten the car into 4th yet? The car hasn't been above 80?

I'm confused a bit. Why put the 4.10's in then?

Did you do any comparison numbers on before and after the gear swap?

I would think you'd get a chirp out of 4th with the 4.10s - I can get a bit a rubber out of 4th in my 350Z with 3.91's. (without powershifting) On the OEM Bridgestones, though - not the 285 Toyo's I had one.

What other modifications has your dad done to his GT?

Archived