TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Robert - What's the scoop on shipping?

Robert -

Any chance of some real information instead of speculation? Quite a few folks (including moi) have vehicles that are apparently completed, yet only sketchy info on what's going on. I know the plant is closed right now. I know the car goes to the upfitter before shipping. I know I get different answers from Ford Customer Relations virtually every time I call. I know the dealer has said 7/7, yet my contacts at the railroad say 7/12 to load it.

I got good grades in college math, but I can't get this to add up.

Can you tell us 1. How many a week are they building? 2. How long after it's built does it take to go through the upfitter and get ready to ship? 3. Are they actually leaving? ( rumors of other delays abound)

Based on the latest Ford sales numbers, here is my best guess on how it's broken down on production.

June sales for (ALL) Mustangs = 15,165 cars

If the assembly plant is working only 5-days a week that's = 22 full days of production for the month of June

22 days x 24Hrs. in a day = 528 production hrs.

15,165 cars divided by 528 hrs. = 28.72 Mustangs made per Hour

28.72 Mustangs made per Hour = 229.76 Mustangs per 8 hr. shift

229.76 Mustangs per 8 hr. shift = 689.28 Mustangs per day

I don't know what the Marketing Strategy & Mix Recommendations are for each model but I think you get the basics of what theses numbers mean. If a days run is split into (12) different models of mustangs (V-6's, V-8's, Coupes, Convert., GT's & Shelby's) that's only 57.44 cars of each model Mustang per day.

57.44 cars per day divided by 24 hrs. = 2.39 Shelby's per Hr. = 287.2 Shelby's in a 5 day week

AAI is not just going to make one model all day long. It just doesn't work that way with J.I.T. & I haven't even thrown in the number of Mazda's that are on the line also. So don't expect high volumes of Shelby's to be running off the line anytime soon. Sit back & wait it out, at least you have your order in & it will be made.

Hope this helps.

The assemby plant runs only 5 days a week? I thought they would run 7 days a week. Starting up and stopping an assembly line like Ford's has got to be time consuming and expensive.

Union overtime for 2 days cost more than a 2 day shut down. One of our sister plants makes the A/C vents for the Mustang & they only work when the AAI Plant works & they are working only 5 days a week right now (well before the shut-down). Be thankful you don't want a Ford-500, Freestyle or Merc. Montego...I make parts for them & their shut down is for 3 weeks in july right now!

Maybe someone at AAI can clear this up since they make Mazda's also?

Union overtime for 2 days cost more than a 2 day shut down. One of our sister plants makes the A/C vents for the Mustang & they only work when the AAI Plant works & they are working only 5 days a week right now (well before the shut-down). Be thankful you don't want a Ford-500, Freestyle or Merc. Montego...I make parts for them & their shut down is for 3 weeks in july right now!

Maybe someone at AAI can clear this up since they make Mazda's also?

Ah Ha! The missing factor...the Union. That explains it. Thanks ColdWater.

I just checked on a GT500 vert that was produced during the week of 6/19, My status shows released from plant but when I called I was told that it was on quality hold [smae as my GT vert was for 3 weeks]. No info for the reason.

I just checked on a GT500 vert that was produced during the week of 6/19, My status shows released from plant but when I called I was told that it was on quality hold [smae as my GT vert was for 3 weeks]. No info for the reason.

I also checked on my Shelby (produced 6/19) Still on Quality hold since Monday. Same scenerio.

Your welcome. 2.39 Shelby's per hour/48 weeks at that rate they could make a max of 13,786 a year. Let's hope they don't go that high.

So, with about 600 full line SVT dealers, 300 SVT Focus dealers, 350 President's Awards and 250 Power Leases we have the first 1,500 cars accounted for. At 2 per hour or 48 per day, Ford should have those built in about 30 days or around the end of July (including plant shutdown). That means mine should be built some time after that...hopefully not too much after that. I'm the #1 order at a very small dealer and my order is on Material Hold...I may have a long wait.

Based on the latest Ford sales numbers, here is my best guess on how it's broken down on production.

June sales for (ALL) Mustangs = 15,165 cars

If the assembly plant is working only 5-days a week that's = 22 full days of production for the month of June

22 days x 24Hrs. in a day = 528 production hrs.

15,165 cars divided by 528 hrs. = 28.72 Mustangs made per Hour

28.72 Mustangs made per Hour = 229.76 Mustangs per 8 hr. shift

229.76 Mustangs per 8 hr. shift = 689.28 Mustangs per day

I don't know what the Marketing Strategy & Mix Recommendations are for each model but I think you get the basics of what theses numbers mean. If a days run is split into (12) different models of mustangs (V-6's, V-8's, Coupes, Convert., GT's & Shelby's) that's only 57.44 cars of each model Mustang per day.

57.44 cars per day divided by 24 hrs. = 2.39 Shelby's per Hr. = 287.2 Shelby's in a 5 day week

AAI is not just going to make one model all day long. It just doesn't work that way with J.I.T. & I haven't even thrown in the number of Mazda's that are on the line also. So don't expect high volumes of Shelby's to be running off the line anytime soon. Sit back & wait it out, at least you have your order in & it will be made.

Hope this helps.

Coldwater, I thought they're only running 1 8-hr shift at AAI -- at least they were a few weeks back. I thought the GT500 production mix is roughly tied to some percentage of the total number of V6 Mustangs made (not necessarily hourly, but certainly by quarter, maybe even weekly??).

I only used only actual SALES numbers FORD just released & worked it out like we do at that plant for quick estimates when a plant is running at full line capacity. I can only assume that when they get back from shut-down that they will be building these on all 3-shifts to meet the 9,000 car target.

If they were only building on 1 shift for the entire year at 2.39 cars per Hr. that's 19.2 cars in an 8 Hr. Shift times 5 days = 95.6 cars a week, now times that by 48 weeks & that = 4,588.8 cars a year & they wouldn't make the target of 9,000.

Again, I think that rate we 1st got was based on a safe launch for the 1st month of production to get all the bugs worked out of the line & to insure quality control standards were met. Engineers like me don't like to work 2nd & 3rd shift just to de-bug problems when we can do it on 1st during a normal business day & then we can ramp it up to be trouble free for 2nd & 3rd shift. Between what Robert said at 2 per Hour & my est. rate they can accommodate any up or down movement in sales. Unfortunetly, that means this drags out longer than what we want & we can't always get it our way when Big BILL has a set plan to move Way Forward.

Hope this helps answer your question?

Two weeks ago I was told that my delivery date was 7/7 by the dealer. I called the 800 # and was told 7/14. I called Monday and they said delivery was between 7/4 and 7/11 (i.e. any day now) but reading these posts it seems possible that they don't know and are just throwing out dates. Supposedly the car was made on 6/23 and released for shipment the next day. Does any of this sound right?

Edit: The last range, 7/4-7/11 was gotten from the Ford customer 800#, not the dealer.

Coldwater,

Thanks for the quality info and explanation. This gives me a much better sense of when my Shelby might show up.

CC

I hope it wasn't too confusing....based on these rates I see mine being here around December? Gald I'm only 5 miles away from the dealer just in case of those four letters ....."SNOW"

Santa will be traveling in Style for at least 5 miles this year come December. HO HO HO

According to my dealer, mine is due tomorrow. When I called Ford last week they gave me an ETA of 7/13, one week after my dealer told me. The way things are looking, I certainly don't expect it this week. I'm not getting my hopes of for next week. According to my factory build sheet my car was produced June 17.

Two weeks ago I was told that my delivery date was 7/7 by the dealer. I called the 800 # and was told 7/14. I called Monday and they said delivery was between 7/4 and 7/11 (i.e. any day now) but reading these posts it seems possible that they don't know and are just throwing out dates. Supposedly the car was made on 6/23 and released for shipment the next day. Does any of this sound right?

Edit: The last range, 7/4-7/11 was gotten from the Ford customer 800#, not the dealer.

old guy are you a powerlease holder? Cause I am, and if Ford makes good on there deal

with me, and the other PL holders, we will be getting ours first :bandance:

Any other PL holders out there with a delivery date of July 10-17...... :happy feet:

Confirmed by both dealer and the 800#....

fastback, my car was built on 6/19 I was given 6/27eta from ford, if your car was built 6/17 that would make it on a saturday? My dealer has a call in to regional rep to track my car because my oder has been shipped apparently, and don't know where it is :fan: I'm a little scared, he is going to give info tomorrow on pinpointed location of where my car is. I was like DUDE WHERE'S MY CAR :hysterical:

i'M NOT PL HOLDER

fastback, my car was built on 6/19 I was given 6/27eta from ford, if your car was built 6/17 that would make it on a saturday? My dealer has a call in to regional rep to track my car because my oder has been shipped apparently, and don't know where it is :fan: I'm a little scared, he is going to give info tomorrow on pinpointed location of where my car is. I was like DUDE WHERE'S MY CAR :hysterical:

i'M NOT PL HOLDER

Yep, the 6/17 date of production threw me for a loop, being a saturday and all. A guy emailed my factory build sheet in return for a favor and that's what it shows. The dealer gave me a build week of 6/12 and the build sheet shows it was produced 6/17. It's been released from the plant from what I understand, but I may call customer service again soon.

Yep, the 6/17 date of production threw me for a loop, being a saturday and all. A guy emailed my factory build sheet in return for a favor and that's what it shows. The dealer gave me a build week of 6/12 and the build sheet shows it was produced 6/17. It's been released from the plant from what I understand, but I may call customer service again soon.

I think that maybe our Shelbys are all being sucked out in Space and into a Black Hole. :sos:

Strange how nobody has made Delivery since Indymustang over a week ago? Hmmm. :headscratch:

Perhaps its because the bottom GT500 stripes are falling off??!

post-2683-1152152281_thumb.jpg

post-2683-1152152281_thumb.jpg

DOES RELEASED FROM PLANT MEAN THAT IT"S IN THE SHIPPERS HANDS? IS THERE A WAY TO TRACK THE VEHICLE BECAUSE i LIVE IN VIRGINIA AND i HAVE TO GET IT SHIPPED FROM ILLINOIS SO I'D LIKE TO HAVE MY SHIPPING TRUCK THERE AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE AFTER IT'S BEEN DELIVERED TO THE DEALER.

I only used only actual SALES numbers FORD just released & worked it out like we do at that plant for quick estimates when a plant is running at full line capacity. I can only assume that when they get back from shut-down that they will be building these on all 3-shifts to meet the 9,000 car target.

If they were only building on 1 shift for the entire year at 2.39 cars per Hr. that's 19.2 cars in an 8 Hr. Shift times 5 days = 95.6 cars a week, now times that by 48 weeks & that = 4,588.8 cars a year & they wouldn't make the target of 9,000.

Again, I think that rate we 1st got was based on a safe launch for the 1st month of production to get all the bugs worked out of the line & to insure quality control standards were met. Engineers like me don't like to work 2nd & 3rd shift just to de-bug problems when we can do it on 1st during a normal business day & then we can ramp it up to be trouble free for 2nd & 3rd shift. Between what Robert said at 2 per Hour & my est. rate they can accommodate any up or down movement in sales. Unfortunetly, that means this drags out longer than what we want & we can't always get it our way when Big BILL has a set plan to move Way Forward.

Hope this helps answer your question?

Thanks, Coldwater... yes, that explains it well.

old guy are you a powerlease holder? Cause I am, and if Ford makes good on there deal

with me, and the other PL holders, we will be getting ours first :bandance:

Any other PL holders out there with a delivery date of July 10-17...... :happy feet:

Confirmed by both dealer and the 800#....

I'm not a PL holder but Ford is providing the car to me due to some special circumstances that put me up high on their priority list. The arrival dates keep changing on me. but I read somewhere on this forum that after the car ships the dates get continually updated as the car gets closer to its destination. So this may be a good thing. At least I'm hoping it is. But I haven't started counting chickens yet.

Coldwater,

Thanks for the quality info and explanation. This gives me a much better sense of when my Shelby might show up.

CC

It does? :hysterical:

DOES RELEASED FROM PLANT MEAN THAT IT"S IN THE SHIPPERS HANDS? IS THERE A WAY TO TRACK THE VEHICLE BECAUSE i LIVE IN VIRGINIA AND i HAVE TO GET IT SHIPPED FROM ILLINOIS SO I'D LIKE TO HAVE MY SHIPPING TRUCK THERE AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE AFTER IT'S BEEN DELIVERED TO THE DEALER.

Not necessarily and no.

I'm not a PL holder but Ford is providing the car to me due to some special circumstances that put me up high on their priority list. The arrival dates keep changing on me. but I read somewhere on this forum that after the car ships the dates get continually updated as the car gets closer to its destination. So this may be a good thing. At least I'm hoping it is. But I haven't started counting chickens yet.

Well, I can't see any circumstance that would give you or any other person

that is not a PL holder a car 1st. Remember, Powerlease Holders wanted this car

long before you or a lot of people. We have been paying for this exact privilege

sence 5/04 ($400+ mo.) POWERLEASE HOLDERS SHOULD GET THERE CARS FIRST,

that is what we were promised :rant:

Well, I can't see any circumstance that would give you or any other person

that is not a PL holder a car 1st. Remember, Powerlease Holders wanted this car

long before you or a lot of people. We have been paying for this exact privilege

sence 5/04 ($400+ mo.) POWERLEASE HOLDERS SHOULD GET THERE CARS FIRST,

that is what we were promised :rant:

Well I don't know his circumstances, but MAYBE they dropped an earlier car off the car carrier and this is an effort to make things right for him...or something similar. I don't think we should make judgments without knowing all the facts...and apparently he's not going to share the details (which is fine by me, it's none of my business).

Dave

Well I don't know his circumstances, but MAYBE they dropped an earlier car off the car carrier and this is an effort to make things right for him...or something similar. I don't think we should make judgments without knowing all the facts...and apparently he's not going to share the details (which is fine by me, it's none of my business).

Dave

Unless he has an ailment, I still can't see why anything

would put him before any PL holder :shrug:

1st is 1st reguardless :finger:

Archived