TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need some honest opinion

martax

I have an opportunity to buy an all black 2007 California Special GT for 31K. Just found out my Shelby may

not be delivered until Spring 2007, total cost 53K. My PSDS has reached the boiling point.Please some

honest opinions.

Signed,

Old enough to know better. :shift:

I have an opportunity to buy an all black 2007 California Special GT for 31K. Just found out my Shelby may

not be delivered until Spring 2007, total cost 53K. My PSDS has reached the boiling point.Please some

honest opinions.

Signed,

I'd wait for the Shelby. Not that impressed with the look of the CS

Why are you looking at the GT500? If you just need a cool new mustang then your question is answered. If you want the baddest mustang available, then your going to have to decide to wait and/or pay ADM and be aware that an even higher specification version will be available from perhaps next spring as well. If your not REALLY into the Shelby thing or you don't mind doing some work to a new car then the CS is a good idea as you will have a hotrod sooner than later. :shrug:

Guest evilchris

Don't wait, indulge now. I did with an 07 loaded GT. When 500's sell for their worth ( 41k + options ), I'll sell it.

honest opinions.

Signed,

Everyone has an opinion! Here's mine!

I wanted the Shelby if I could get it at a price I could actually afford, plain and simple! Mine comes in at $49k, but I have the coupe with the interior upgrade only. I like all Mustangs and had there not been a Shelby, I would have been interested in all these limited production Mustangs, but most likely would have been content with my '05 Mustang GT. It is a fun car!

When I ordered the GT (Nov 04) I told my wife it would be the last one I wanted unless they put "Shelby" on another one. And look what happened! If the money is not the issue, you will be more pleased with the Shelby.

Please some honest opinions.

Signed,

No way would I buy the CS. The reason I want the GT500 is the performance...and the CS Is not a performance package. You're just as well off with the GT. However, it's your money...do what you want.

Dave

If you can afford the Shelby and that's what you want, I think you should wait. Personally, I wouldn't pay 53k for it though. I sure wouldn't pay that if I had to wait till spring to get it. If I couldn't get mine for sticker, I wouldn't get it. For one, I couldn't afford it, and for another, it simply isn't worth it. I almost backed out when Ford didn't make good at bringing it in under 40k. I've seen three of these in person in Tulsa. They are great cars, but they are not worth more than sticker.

I'd definately wait (in fact I am!). A possible side benefit: if dealer is saying Spring '07, that says to me he really has no idea when it'll come in. By the time it get's real, price might have come down a bit as well and, who knows, there may even be some minor option changes you might have interest in. And as others hve pointed out, you can always buy/lease a GT in the meantime for entertainment :)

I have an opportunity to buy an all black 2007 California Special GT for 31K.

A substantial portion of our Mustang GT allocation will be the Cali Special. I've noticed one or two on eBay taking bids for OVER MSRP???!!!!. Craziness.

We'll be cheap-selling these too. :woohoo:

The GT/CS is a pretty cool looking car with decent 300hp performance. We have a loaded up Vista Blue GT/CS on sale for MSRP ($31,045). No 2nd stickers on these, unlike the hard-to-get GT500's. No waiting list for ordering GT/CS's either, so you can order what you want and get it. And Mustang GT's regulary sell for less than MSRP these days, and there are now more supply than demand for them, so there are plenty to choose from most everywhere.

For anyone who needs a high performance fix today, a 300hp Mustang GT or GT/CS now makes good sense. They are all mid-13 second 1/4 milers with good looks and nice amenities. You can always sell/trade it in on a GT500 later. The 2005-6 Mustang GT's have had incredibly high re-sale values, so you won't take the huge hit normally associated with trading in a 1-year old car.

I agree that it totally depends on what it is you're lookinf for but to me the 2 cars are not even in the smae class. The way I understand it, the GT/CS is basically an appearance package...there doesn't seem to be any added performance for the extra dough. If all you're looking for is something to differentiate it from a regular GT, get the GT/CS or just buy a GT and add your own personal changes. If you're looking for a performance upgrade, I think 500 HP speaks for itself.

Guest evilchris

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jul 6 2006, 11:17 AM) 24906[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

The GT/CS is a pretty cool looking car with decent 300hp performance. We have a loaded up Vista Blue GT/CS on sale for MSRP ($31,045). No 2nd stickers on these, unlike the hard-to-get GT500's. No waiting list for ordering GT/CS's either, so you can order what you want and get it. And Mustang GT's regulary sell for less than MSRP these days, and there are now more supply than demand for them, so there are plenty to choose from most everywhere.

For anyone who needs a high performance fix today, a 300hp Mustang GT or GT/CS now makes good sense. They are all mid-13 second 1/4 milers with good looks and nice amenities. You can always sell/trade it in on a GT500 later. The 2005-6 Mustang GT's have had incredibly high re-sale values, so you won't take the huge hit normally associated with trading in a 1-year old car.

Totally agree. It's amazing what they do with just a CAI, tune, and 4.10 gears too. Flat 13's and if you rock maybe a high 12.

I agree that it totally depends on what it is you're lookinf for but to me the 2 cars are not even in the smae class. The way I understand it, the GT/CS is basically an appearance package...there doesn't seem to be any added performance for the extra dough. If all you're looking for is something to differentiate it from a regular GT, get the GT/CS or just buy a GT and add your own personal changes. If you're looking for a performance upgrade, I think 500 HP speaks for itself.

Somewhat, you have to remember though that the porky weight of the GT500 over the GT makes the horsepower difference between mean less than it does on paper. I think a 430-450HP GT would run right with it.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jul 6 2006, 11:17 AM) 24906[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Totally agree. It's amazing what they do with just a CAI, tune, and 4.10 gears too. Flat 13's and if you rock maybe a high 12.

Somewhat, you have to remember though that the porky weight of the GT500 over the GT makes the horsepower difference between mean less than it does on paper. I think a 420HP GT would run right with it.

If you get the Road & Track issue thats on the stand right now. There is an add in it for the Boss 302. Will be sold thru Ford Saleen dealers this fall. They are only making 1000 of these cars, come in Grabber Orange with black stripes only. Very sweet looking car, shaker hood, modified grills, side window louvres, bueaty mags. can not remember HP ratings and the important info.

$57,000.00 USD

If you get the Road & Track issue thats on the stand right now. There is an add in it for the Boss 302. Will be sold thru Ford Saleen dealers this fall. They are only making 1000 of these cars, come in Grabber Orange with black stripes only. Very sweet looking car, shaker hood, modified grills, side window louvres, bueaty mags. can not remember HP ratings and the important info.

$57,000.00 USD

That would be the Saleen "Parnelli Jones" edition. 500 to be built, close to $60K (high $50's), and a naturally aspirated 4.6L 3-valve that's been bored/stroked to 5.0L displacement. 370hp and a like amount of torque. Way cool, but way more money (MSRP vs MSRP) than a GT500 and way down on power vs the GT500. It is a much lighter car (roughly 400 lbs lighter) than the GT500, so 370hp will help motivate it to roughly 13 seconds flat through the 1/4 mile (maybe even high 12's) at roughly 107-109 mph.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jul 6 2006, 07:02 PM) 24955[/snapback]

That would be the Saleen "Parnelli Jones" edition. 500 to be built, close to $60K (high $50's), and a naturally aspirated 4.6L 3-valve that's been bored/stroked to 5.0L displacement. 370hp and a like amount of torque. Way cool, but way more money (MSRP vs MSRP) than a GT500 and way down on power vs the GT500. It is a much lighter car (roughly 400 lbs lighter) than the GT500, so 370hp will help motivate it to roughly 13 seconds flat through the 1/4 mile (maybe even high 12's) at roughly 107-109 mph.

I believe Five Oh B is correct -- Saleen PJ.

(PS - I believe 5.0 is just a stroked 4.6 -- I think bore of both are 3.55")

Ford showed a 5.0 cammer in a white mustang at SEMA '04 that said Cammer 5.0 on the door sill-stripes. At SEMA '05 they showed a 5.0 Cammer with 'Shelby' valve covers, 410 HP, if I recall. Both all aluminum 4V motors.

honest opinions.

Signed,

MARTAX im in the same boat as you. I have a major case of PSDS . last MAY 2005 i traded in my 2004 cobra convertable (i miss that car) with only about 400 miles on it :banghead: just to get the GT500. I could not get one this year with all of the dealer bs and markups. I am on a list for 2008 and can hardly afford msrp with no options, so i am very upset at this point. I was also thinking of the cs which i can get now and better afford.The reality of this is i am going to wait it out until next year to see if i can get my dream shelby GT500 for msrp its my only chance to get the car. So good luck with your decision, keep us informed thanks

My 0.02 ...

I'm somewhat of a purist - I'm not too much into non-functional beauty - sure the Cali looks nice and a premium GT is nice too, but all the added crap doesn't do much other than raise the price.

I would get a base model Mustang GT (they all have power windows locks and Ac anyway).

I'd do the following mods:

Eibach springs (lower about 1 inch)

short throw shifter

3.73 gear (maybe just 3.55)

larger TB and MA

reprogram

nice wheels and tires, but nothing crazy

front splitter similar to GT500

Borla cat-back exhaust and headers

shaker hood (this one is a toss-up)

All this should come in around or below $30k

Opinions?

My 0.02 ...

I'm somewhat of a purist - I'm not too much into non-functional beauty - sure the Cali looks nice and a premium GT is nice too, but all the added crap doesn't do much other than raise the price.

I would get a base model Mustang GT (they all have power windows locks and Ac anyway).

I'd do the following mods:

Eibach springs (lower about 1 inch)

short throw shifter

3.73 gear (maybe just 3.55)

larger TB and MA

reprogram

nice wheels and tires, but nothing crazy

front splitter similar to GT500

Borla cat-back exhaust and headers

shaker hood (this one is a toss-up)

All this should come in around or below $30k

Opinions?

Funny, but if I didn't do the GT500, that's almost exactly what I'd no -- and there's sooooo much out there for the GT right now -- it's staggering!

Funny, but if I didn't do the GT500, that's almost exactly what I'd no -- and there's sooooo much out there for the GT right now -- it's staggering!

Its very true 68fastback the aftermarket has so much for the mustang gt you can custom talor the stang to your liking. This is very tempting to do as im shure these ideas have crossed all of our minds. The only thing stopping is that magical name SHELBY. I have been around cars since infancy as were all of my family members and I always wanted a SHELBY MUSTANG when ford said they were going to make the gt500 again i went nuts as im shure alot of us mustang nuts did. So thats the only thing stopping me hopefully we can all can get our gt500,s in the future

• 4 months later...

MARTAX im in the same boat as you. I have a major case of PSDS . last MAY 2005 i traded in my 2004 cobra convertable (i miss that car) with only about 400 miles on it :banghead: just to get the GT500. I could not get one this year with all of the dealer bs and markups. I am on a list for 2008 and can hardly afford msrp with no options, so i am very upset at this point. I was also thinking of the cs which i can get now and better afford.The reality of this is i am going to wait it out until next year to see if i can get my dream shelby GT500 for msrp its my only chance to get the car. So good luck with your decision, keep us informed thanks

Hey Pal

Did you get a car yet---we have the GT/CS black-black-black ordered for spring delivery, it is on our Dealer's Allotment for January---we live in Canada. The CS has the front spoiler and side scoops and a lot of the stuff we wanted on the base GT and this has pretty much all of it! Just add a Hurst Shifter and Ford Racing Mufflers and you have it made!!!

msbiehn & stangdude

Archived