TEAM SHELBY FORUM

One of my favorite Engines

crispy23c

Mine was in my first car, a '69 Mach 1. It came with the 351 Hi-Po Windsor (known as the 351 CJ in the Shelbys). 300 Hp from the factory, solid lifters, longer duration cam, factory semi-high rise, 10.5:1 compression (if I remember right). Blew the motor in the 2nd week I owned it (throttle cable was frayed, and it was stuck wide open--nearly got killed-- but I digress). Anyway, that forced me (with the help of my older brother) to rebuild the thing at 16 1/2 years old. Bored the block, honed, ported & polished it. Shaved heads. Holley 650 dual feed. Came out with about 400 hp. The thing screwed!!!!!. The only race I lost was to a SD455 T/A with open headers. He pulled away @ 140. He had to slow down to ask me what I had! Ohhhh, yeah! You should have seen his jaw drop when I told him I had a "small block" with stock exhaust, over 100 cubes less. Ahhh, memories! B)

How about you???

BOSS "9" Hands down the powerplant I would want in a project. And apparently Mr. Colletti agree's... :P I've owned several FE motors and of course the 5.0 in my 94 but I gotta tell you that the TEKSID cast all AL , hand made 7500 rpm little screamer in my COBRA puts a smile on my face EVERY time I run through first/second. It truly sounds like no other car on earth.

post-142-1132878708_thumb.jpg

post-142-1132878708_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

BOSS "9" Hands down the powerplant I would want in a project. And apparently Mr. Colletti agree's... :P I've owned several FE motors and of course the 5.0 in my 94 but I gotta tell you that the TEKSID cast all AL , hand made 7500 rpm little screamer in my COBRA puts a smile on my face EVERY time I run through first/second. It truly sounds like no other car on earth.

thank you for sharing that picture. I have a new dream :)

the old iron 429 was always my favorite engine- from my first car, 25 yrs ago...reading up on the non hemi street versions there are some neat little tidbits Ive found...cj/scj/police supposedly had wristpins offset to help straighten rod angles a bit earlier on powerstroke...might be common today, but that was earliest I'd ever read of its use. Also, the rod/stroke ratio is almost identical to the 426hemi...no other engine over 400 cubes is anywhere close...I think theres magic in that number somewhere...

jetsolver, that injected alloy boss9 is one of the coolest things I have ever seen- cannot even imagine the performance/sound...that is truly an awesome piece of work.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love the way a properly set up 289 sounds at 7000 rpm,but there is nothing like the sound of the Boss 429 Ford hemi even through the mufflers !!My Webpage When both carbs are wide open it is amazing!

Even with 1 carb wide open it sounds pretty good!

08140027.jpg

http://hometown.aol.com/boss494/myhomepage/index.html

http://hometown.aol.com/rb302/BOSS429PROJECT.html

Mine is the Australian 351 Cleveland with 2V 302C heads. This is mainly because the heads that were cast for the 302 Cleveland (yes, you read right). They were closed chambered designs that had intake valves that were 2.032"-2.050". This is bigger than the famous "Fuelie" GM heads, flowed better at all RPM's, and were not overly huge like US made 351C 4V heads that only came into their own at high RPM. They also had the canted valve design going for them. With small and closed chambers, big valves but not oversized, they are pretty incredible.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

NICE HUGGER ORANGE MUSTANGS !!!! :tease: Just kidding.

This is incredible ! I have seen those three Mustangs grouped together before.

The 289/302 has got to be the best sounding engine out there. 7-9000 rpm, going around the track in Shelby gt 350s and Boss 302s is a great reminder of the Trans-Am days. If any of you get a chance to go to a Vintage Trans Am race, you should really go. They have a web site at "vintagetransam. com" :banvictory:

with scheduling.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is the Australian 351 Cleveland with 2V 302C heads. This is mainly because the heads that were cast for the 302 Cleveland (yes, you read right). They were closed chambered designs that had intake valves that were 2.032"-2.050". This is bigger than the famous "Fuelie" GM heads, flowed better at all RPM's, and were not overly huge like US made 351C 4V heads that only came into their own at high RPM. They also had the canted valve design going for them. With small and closed chambers, big valves but not oversized, they are pretty incredible.

Steve

Right on Aussie! I own a 72 Mach I with 2V 351 Cleveland Aussie heads that have been port and polished. It is truly an E ticket ride.

Larry

Guest evilchris

The 03/04 Terminator is pretty impressive.

I also am a die hard 5.0 fan. Always wished the Fox came with a 351 though...

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
I have this certain Ford 281 that puts out 319 hp stock, and it sounds awesome. I would have to say its my favorite V8.

:hysterical2:

Me too, gotta love the new 281!! Over 300HP, the car runs 13's in the quarter with 87 Octane fuel!! Oh and also gets on average 19MPG!!

Oh baby! My favorite Ferrari beater:

"Aerodynamics is for those who can't build engines" - Enzo Ferrari (guess that explains the extremely aerodynamic P3 330)

engine: V8

aspiration: Natural

valvetrain: Pushrod Operated, OHV

fuel feed: 4V Holley Carburettors

displacement: 427.0 cu in / 6997 cc

bore: 4.24 in / 107.7 mm

stroke: 3.78 in / 96.1 mm

compression: 10.75:1

power: 500.1 bhp / 372.9 kw @ 6400 rpm

post-5147-1194982626_thumb.jpg

post-5147-1194982626_thumb.jpg

My supercharged SHO motor !!!

post-7556-1194985942_thumb.jpg

post-7556-1194985942_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
Mine was in my first car, a '69 Mach 1. It came with the 351 Hi-Po Windsor (known as the 351 CJ in the Shelbys). 300 Hp from the factory, solid lifters, longer duration cam, factory semi-high rise, 10.5:1 compression (if I remember right). Blew the motor in the 2nd week I owned it (throttle cable was frayed, and it was stuck wide open--nearly got killed-- but I digress). Anyway, that forced me (with the help of my older brother) to rebuild the thing at 16 1/2 years old. Bored the block, honed, ported & polished it. Shaved heads. Holley 650 dual feed. Came out with about 400 hp. The thing screwed!!!!!. The only race I lost was to a SD455 T/A with open headers. He pulled away @ 140. He had to slow down to ask me what I had! Ohhhh, yeah! You should have seen his jaw drop when I told him I had a "small block" with stock exhaust, over 100 cubes less. Ahhh, memories! B)

How about you???

Never heard of a solid lifter hi-po 351 Windsor. Please provide more information. What engine code did the car have on the vin plate?

Not a FORD fan myself but I had a 67 Galaxy 500 fastback with a 289 H.O. that was pretty dang strong!

I've always respected the 5.0's and I'm really impressed with the 4.6 in the Mustang, not in the truck.

Diesel you can't beat the 7.4, may she rest in piece.

Of course all of these engines usually resided in the cars I regularly saw in the rear view mirror of my Camaro's. The 350 is the best engine ever!! B)

Yes, 427's they used to call them Ford's world beater engine. Earned this name in almost every kind of racing you can think of. I have a C5AE H/M 427 sideoiler for my 67' clone project. Shelby C7ZX 2 x 4 intake with dual 710 cfm holleys. That ought to wake up the neighbors. Can't wait to get started on it.

• 5 months later...
I'm going to go with the 351W. When it comes to torque, potential, and out of the box power, I'd chose one over my current five liter engines.

what ever happened to evil95gt?

I have a lot of engines that are my favorites

427 SOHC

Boss 429

427 Side Oiler

429 SCJ

428 SCJ

Current GT500 Engine DOHC 5.4

Probably in that order

I like the Boss 302 Engine too but pretty gutless in stock form. (ask me how I know LOL)

Archived