TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why are some people so bent out of shape by the weight?

150man

According to Wikipedia, GT stands for Gran Turismo, or in English, Grand Tourer. This describes a car that is comfortable for driving long distances. It is not, and wasn't designed to be a pure race car. This is a car that you could drive across the country in. I see it as a powerful, sporty car with certain accoutriments to make long distance driving more comfortable. Things such as air conditioning, power windows, comfortable seats, carpeting, stereo system, etc... fall into this catagory, and a race car does not need these things. Plus you want a nice, smooth ride. I drove a Pinto once- it was light alright, but you could feel every bump in the road.

I'd say if you want a car to race on the track or beat people on the street on Saturday nights- go get a cheap older car, strip out the interior and all the things mentioned above and run it! It would be fun to race but not to go on road trips in.

I want a car that is powerful, fun to drive, but comfortable too. (And a Mustang of course!)

Now stop bitching about the weight! I'm really getting tired of hearing about it.

Grand tourer

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

A grand tourer (Italian: Gran Turismo), sometimes initialised GT, is a high-performance automobile designed for long distance driving. Any such car could be considered to be a grand tourer, but the traditional and most common body style is a two door coupé with either a 2-seat or a 2+2 seat arrangement.

Grand tourers differ from sports cars in that they are usually larger, heavier and tend to make less compromise in comfort for the sake of driving ability. For this reason they mostly have front-mounted engines, which leave more space for the cabin than mid-mounted engines. They also tend to have softer suspension to provide good ride quality. However, grand tourers do have similarities with sports cars, such as the fact they mainly use rear or four wheel drive, and the term sports car may be used to describe a car with grand touring qualities. Very high-performance grand tourers, such as the Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, may be considered to be supercars.

Maybe.

But so what? $43,000 is not an expensive car in the automotive universe. Adjusting for inflation, the '07 costs about the same as a '68 GT 500. The '68 doesn't have near the performance or quality that this car does.

Sometimes I feel like saying love it or leave it. But that's little rednecky.

I want a car that is powerful, fun to drive, but comfortable too. (And a Mustang of course!)

Now stop bitching about the weight! I'm really getting tired of hearing about it.

But so what? $43,000 is not an expensive car in the automotive universe. Adjusting for inflation, the '07 costs about the same as a '68 GT 500. The '68 doesn't have near the performance or quality that this car does.

I'll bitch all I want about the failings of anything I want. And this is the place to do it. First this car is Fords Halo car, a car to demonstrate to the buying public at large and enthusiasts in particular what Ford as a company, and as a Brand, is capable of. That is why they are advertising and promoting a car of only 9000 units this MY. Nobody with any understanding of technology or automobiles in general would be satisfied with a weight distribution of 57/43 F/R. And making an engineered product heavier,cheaper, weaker, etc., than it has to be is an example of compromise, in this case because of cost primarily. Which is a flawed argument because other products have done MUCH better at the same price point. It would be perhaps different if Ford had to descibe a "clean sheet" approach to some of these issues, however, for example, they already have a high performance lightweight version of the engine block available. They also supposedly "baked in"

to the original platform the requirement for a high performance varient, and seem to have failed when the weight of a stereo is enough to prevent final factory sign off of the car. So if this is Fords best foot forward and you wish to apologize for obvious failings, happy motoring. But this is in part , a reason why Ford has the perception problem it does. And if you really want high performance, which is what Ford says it wanted to offer here, the FIRST rule is, as Colin Chapman said so very well, "to go fast, add lightness." PS. Only a dinosaur would want to pay the extra fuel economy penalty if other options were available.

Maybe.

While I'm at it. They could have made this a flex fuel vehicle and saved everyone about $1300 (guzzler tax). The government already has enough of my money. Of course that would have given some dealers a reason to charge us more.

happy motoring

You bet I'll have happy motoring. I'm thinking I'll be just fine with my purchase- hell I'll by down right HAPPY everytime I push the gas pedal to the floor- not to mention everytime I'm cruising down the highway getting thumbs up from people that love my car.

Sure this car is a compromise. EVERY car is a compromise somewhere- unless cost is no object, and then there would still be some compromise... Ford didn't advertise this car as the pace car of the company- that was the $155,000 GT. I hope you're not getting the two cars confused.

I think we're getting PLENTY for the price we're paying. Course if you don't like Mustangs you won't like one no matter what the cost.

Go ahead and bitch. Are you getting one, Jetsolver?

According to Wikipedia, GT stands for Gran Turismo, or in English, Grand Tourer. This describes a car that is comfortable for driving long distances. It is not, and wasn't designed to be a pure race car. This is a car that you could drive across the country in. I see it as a powerful, sporty car with certain accoutriments to make long distance driving more comfortable. Things such as air conditioning, power windows, comfortable seats, carpeting, stereo system, etc... fall into this catagory, and a race car does not need these things. Plus you want a nice, smooth ride. I drove a Pinto once- it was light alright, but you could feel every bump in the road.

I'd say if you want a car to race on the track or beat people on the street on Saturday nights- go get a cheap older car, strip out the interior and all the things mentioned above and run it! It would be fun to race but not to go on road trips in.

150man I have, drive, and enjoy, what you are talking about in this post. It's a completely stock 2004 svt vert. I have enjoyed many trips around Lake Tahoe, also toured to Carmel, it dos'nt get much better than going 35 or so with the top down on 17 mile dreve Pebble Beach. Then you can get on highway 1, go up the coast along the ocean, step up to 45 and enjoy some more. In august you can also visit the Historical road races. Thank's for reminding me of these fun trips. (Grand Tours).

You bet fordstuff. That's what I'm talking about.

My dream trip in my GT 500 would be to take it to twisty roads in the mountains of Colorado, drop the top and take it all in. And I think that's double cool doing it in a 12 second car that also gets around 20 MPG.

Street racing? I hope I don't get sucked into that foolishness.

Course if you don't like Mustangs you won't like one no matter what the cost.

Go ahead and bitch. Are you getting one, Jetsolver?

Yes, I am. Read the sig have you? This is my third new Mustang in 11 years. So I have every right to question Ford. And people who question my conclusions re engineering. Now on to new business. It seems that Ford is backing away from some of the lessons learned recently about weight savings. If it wishes to build more of cars like this, getting away from the GG would be a start and if they were to incorporate some of the more costly weight saving measures(Al Block, lightweight composite panels, Al. roof, etc.) in this, the most expensive Mustang ever, then they would be able to leverage thier use in more plebian Stangs looking to a lower corporate CAFE, and a better financial picture, thus more room for the sorts of cars that SVT used to build for discerning ENTHUSIASTS. Like those of us impressed by all Aluminium, 7000 rev,small displacement(281 ci), BALANCED varients of run of the mill platforms.

I see nothing in you sig to indicatate that you are getting a Shelby. I believe you if say that you are, no problem. Maybe you'll get the car you want in 2009 or on down the road. If you do, it'll cost a lot more than this car.

Unlike you, I'll pretty sure I'll be happy with my 07 Shelby, and enjoy it thoroughly. And I do think I'll be getting my money's worth- iron block and all.

I notice that you like science and reading. Well, that doesn't actually mean building and selling cars. I'm amazed at people who think they're smarter than the people who actually do it.

Maybe.

I did a little research on this. According to Car & Driver, the cost of a 1968 GT500 was about $4500. According to the Federal Reserve Consumer Price Index Calculator, that is available on their website, an item that cost $4500 in 1968 would cost about $27,000 today. About the price of a GT Mustang.

Oh boy...not again. Come on you all it's just a car... Stop... Breathe... Enjoy. :hysterical:

Yes, chill out boys, have a cold beer. I happen to agree with the both of you. Yes, the weight issue is getting long in the tooth and yes on the other hand, it could have been lighter, ie, aluminum block, drive shaft...etc. But what we are going to get guys, is 3900 lbs of fire breathing, asphalt melting, super-charger whining and probably the sexiest car I've ever seen and I've owned lots of cars and seen lots of cars. And yes, those of us who is paying MSRP is getting one hell of a deal. I am sure when we all have our Shelbys, we will be all on this site saying how great the car is.

PS - make sure that cold one is a Keiths.

svtkeith

I did a little research on this. According to Car & Driver, the cost of a 1968 GT500 was about $4500. According to the Federal Reserve Consumer Price Index Calculator, that is available on their website, an item that cost $4500 in 1968 would cost about $27,000 today. About the price of a GT Mustang.

To be fair to Ford Mo Co, however, I don't think union wages, benefits, and pension fund expenses were near what they are now. Not to mention the costs of OSHA, EPA, etc compliance. Additionally the cars now have safety equipment, and sound systems far in advance of those in 68. I believe the 68 had only an AM radio. Tires and brakes? No comparison. No anti theft tech on the 68. How bout power windows and locks? Anyone care to go back to manual ones? All these nice things add weight and cost money. I'm surprised they can build a GT for what a 68 GT500 cost.

Performance? According to this site: http://www.carmemories.com/cgi-bin/viewexp...xperience_id=14 the 68 GT500KR's 0-60 is 6.9 sec, and did the 1/4 in 14.04 sec. with a top speed of 130 MPH. The 05-06 plain ol' Mustang GT can beat those numbers!! Weight distribution on the 68? Anyone? 57/43. Gas mileage? 9-11 MPG for the 68. The 07 GT500 is a heck of a value at $43,000.

Guest evilchris

engine that has to be worth more than 20k by iteself

rotflmfao

I just lost all respect for you. You know know nothing about engines.

150man, I SO AGREE with you!

A lot of people complain about the weight or something else on this car nothing is good enough. Sorry, I am glad to take it just like it is. The performance of this car has already been proven.

With luxuries like side air bags, 6 way power seats, traction control, 4 way ABS Brakes, (Brembo Brakes), an engine that has to be worth more than 20k by iteself, a very expensive 6 speed tremec new design, HUGE Supercar F1 Tires, Very Very Good 500 Watt stereo, cruise control, trip meter, rpm light, 500hp, a DOHC Supercharged 5.4 that just a few years ago people were BEGGING for, a car that was designed to go 500 drag strip passes with ZERO failures, an engine designed to go 300+ hours wide open on a dyno with ZERO failures at a cost of under 44grand for a loaded car? Did I mention a twin disc clutch?.................

People also gripe because they are not getting an aluminum block, Do they have any idea how much longer it would have taken and the cost to produce it? Its pretty much track ready to go autocross or run open track days without EVEN having to change brake pads? Drive it to track and drive it home?

I have been WAITING years for FORD to build something like this I could actually afford.

My local dealer just got in a 07 GT with same color package and crimson interior like I ordered my Shelby and its absolutely gorgeous.

Remember FOLKS this is a daily driver 2007 GT syle car with did I mention a 500hp engine and a 6 spd?

Do all remember this car actually qualifies for addt'l insurance discounts because it comes with side airbags and 4 channel ABS? For those asking their insurance companies for quotes did you tell them about the 4 channel abs and the air bags with side airbags? They cannot give you an accurate quote without a VIN number.

This car is EXACTLY something I have "DREAMED" FORD would build and HERE IT IS! Think 1974 Mustang then think 2007 SHELBY and every Ford nut on the planet should be grateful this day has come.

Everyone can say I wish it had this or I wish it had that, I would buy it IF only it did not WEIGH so much. Remember if everyone like EXACTLY the same car then what fun would it be?

Would it be nice to have this same car that weighed 3000lbs? Sure but what would the car be? Would you want to take it on a long trip? 100+ degree temps with no A/C? No radio? No power windows? No power brakes? Remember the cars for the street pretty much have to have the safety features like AirBags or they cannot be built for street use.

I say if you want a lighter car to race just remove all the un-needed weight and go racin'. You surely cannot begin to build a car that will do what this car will for anywhere near the money and still have any future resale down the road.

As far as Ford just putting in the Ford GT engine it cost about 50k by itself. ANy one price a dry sump system lately? That aluminum block would not work in the GT500 without major mods so was not feasible.

Again these are just my thoughts and do not mean to offend anyone in any way.

I think we all should be jumping up and down for Ford to build something like this.

my 2cents

Not meaning to stray off subject, but my friend ordered a '07 GT vert with red interior and he was wondering - since you say one - if the seats are all red or like the Shelby with red inserts. I ordered the Shelby coupe with red interior - eta is a week from this coming Thur....can't wait for this awesome car.

Car just arrived at dealership yesterday. red inserts on seat and door panels. can get some pics if you would like?

Just did a quick walk around.

knowknow nothing about engines? I have forgotten more than you will ever know and thats a FACT!

As far as respect I never had any for you being a troll so I am actually quite pleased by your comment.

Could you show me a complete 5.4 Cobra engine for under 20k? Did not think so!

The 4.6L cobra is 13k plus and the 5.0 DOHC is 15k without a blower so go from there.

I did not mean a short block or long block but an engine as installed in veh ready to run. I guess you did not notice that these cars actually run?

No more response to you as my time is worth more than your lack of knowledge. Happy T R O L L I N G

Thanks! Pics would be awesome! You can either post here or email me direct at bill0754@msn.com I appreciate your help

Archived