TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Car was due today...nothing showed up

FordGeek

I just got off the phone with my dealership and my GT500, which was scheduled for delivery today, didn't show up (not really surprised). I don't expect to see anything until, maybe, next week. Definitely disappointed, but I guess nothing one can do but wait. The hardest part is not even knowing where in God's creation the darn thing is. Ford really needs a better tracking system.

:cry:

I just got off the phone with my dealership and my GT500, which was scheduled for delivery today, didn't show up (not really surprised). I don't expect to see anything until, maybe, next week. Definitely disappointed, but I guess nothing one can do but wait. The hardest part is not even knowing where in God's creation the darn thing is. Ford really needs a better tracking system.

I'll back you up that Ford needs a better tracking system. UPS can track a million packages all over the country every day.......Why does Ford have such difficulty

Your dealer is probably going off the ETA. The ETA is exactly that (estimated) My 1st ETA was 6/29 the 2nd 6/24 the 3rd 6/29 the fourth one is 7/1 I think it's best to have your dealer contact VOPC to recieve some detailed info on your Shelby. If your dealer gives you the run-around, contact Ford customer service as long as you have a VIN they will help you out.

I'll back you up that Ford needs a better tracking system. UPS can track a million packages all over the country every day.......Why does Ford have such difficulty

Actually, Ford uses a division of UPS to route and control the deliveries of the vehicles. You just do not have access to the system. The dealerships can get the railcar info and you can track the vehicle thru the system. However unlike so many packages they cannot fit a few hundred on a truck. Ford is not the one with the difficulty. The vehicle is "released from the plant" to the railroad. Once this is done it is out of Fords control. They can track the vehicle, and even call the railroad to try to expedite deliveries, but in the end the delivery is still out of thier hands. So do not be mad at Ford, be mad at the poor rail delivery system. (Actually it is pretty efficient when you consider how many cars they move in a week and still manage to get them to the correct destination in a 5-14 day window)

One last item. ETA is always an "estimated time of arrival" however it is not the exact date, rather it is the first day of a week (seven day window) that the delivery has been committed to. What some of you expect would be like asking the Fed Ex guy that picks up the package, what time of the day they will deliver it to the destination. Since the cars are not sent priority overnite, the best you can get is approximate delivery dates like when you send something 'ground'.

So to forecast the exact date is rather ridiculous.

Actually, Ford uses a division of UPS to route and control the deliveries of the vehicles. You just do not have access to the system. The dealerships can get the railcar info and you can track the vehicle thru the system. However unlike so many packages they cannot fit a few hundred on a truck. Ford is not the one with the difficulty. The vehicle is "released from the plant" to the railroad. Once this is done it is out of Fords control. They can track the vehicle, and even call the railroad to try to expedite deliveries, but in the end the delivery is still out of thier hands. So do not be mad at Ford, be mad at the poor rail delivery system. (Actually it is pretty efficient when you consider how many cars they move in a week and still manage to get them to the correct destination in a 5-14 day window)

One last item. ETA is always an "estimated time of arrival" however it is not the exact date, rather it is the first day of a week (seven day window) that the delivery has been committed to. What some of you expect would be like asking the Fed Ex guy that picks up the package, what time of the day they will deliver it to the destination. Since the cars are not sent priority overnite, the best you can get is approximate delivery dates like when you send something 'ground'.

So to forecast the exact date is rather ridiculous.

So if the dealer has an ETA do they get any notice or does a truck just show up one day? I would like to be there the day they unload my car. I would really like to see the truck pull up.

So if the dealer has an ETA do they get any notice or does a truck just show up one day? I would like to be there the day they unload my car. I would really like to see the truck pull up.

I believe that your dealer can track the delivery pretty well, possibly even expedite it if they want to, after the car is actually shipped. Instead of "Produced" on the order, you need it to say "Released". Then it actually is in the shipper's hands or at least headed to them.

In my particular case, the ETA was off a good bit. Mine was supposed to be here Thursday! I am hoping for mid-July now and would be very pleased with anytime in July!

I think during the next couple of weeks some of the folks on this forum are going to be posting pictures! It is going to start getting fun around here! Really fun!

The exact same thing happened to me. Due yesterday, but no car. Probably won't happen until sometime next week. My PSDS is in advanced stages. I've gone by the dealers lot twice to see if anything showed up at night.

The exact same thing happened to me. Due yesterday, but no car. Probably won't happen until sometime next week. My PSDS is in advanced stages. I've gone by the dealers lot twice to see if anything showed up at night.

LOL...I even volunteered to work at the dealership on Sunday (when they're closed) just in case the transport showed up!

:hysterical:

LOL...I even volunteered to work at the dealership on Sunday (when they're closed) just in case the transport showed up!

:hysterical:

I remember tracking my 2004 Excursion throught the whole system even having a railcar number and getting city updates as moved south to Houston. According to the dealer my GT500 will come from Michigan to Memphis by rail and a short 2 hour trip by truck to the dealer. I think customer service gave me the details last time as I had to plan a business trip around the pick up date.

Typically once they schedule the vehicle, they will assign an ETA, however the ETA will change as the vehicle gets closer to being produced. Once it is produced the ETA will change again, and once the rail has the car many times the ETA will change again. That is why it has Estimate in the phrase. Once the vehicle is released to the rail there will typically be an ETA given, Dealerships can check thier reporting systems to find out railcar info, and depending on what part of the country you are in you can access a railcar tracking system to see where that particular railcar is at. (or was last reported at).

If you are in the west try to google the Union Pacific system by using keywords, uprr, vehicle, tracking. If you know the railcar number type it in and the latest status is given. If you want to be there when the car arrives call the dealer and have the railyard check on the car. Most railcar ramps will look for a particular vehicle if a dealership calls.

Typically once they schedule the vehicle, they will assign an ETA, however the ETA will change as the vehicle gets closer to being produced. Once it is produced the ETA will change again, and once the rail has the car many times the ETA will change again. That is why it has Estimate in the phrase. Once the vehicle is released to the rail there will typically be an ETA given, Dealerships can check thier reporting systems to find out railcar info, and depending on what part of the country you are in you can access a railcar tracking system to see where that particular railcar is at. (or was last reported at).

If you are in the west try to google the Union Pacific system by using keywords, uprr, vehicle, tracking. If you know the railcar number type it in and the latest status is given. If you want to be there when the car arrives call the dealer and have the railyard check on the car. Most railcar ramps will look for a particular vehicle if a dealership calls.

How do I get the railcar number? Dealer says it'll be here 7/7 (this Friday)- Ford says 7/14. I'd love to be able to track it.

How do I get the railcar number? Dealer says it'll be here 7/7 (this Friday)- Ford says 7/14. I'd love to be able to track it.

The dealer can get it from his daily reports, but not all dealerships look at these. You can also see the railcars sometimes on the Concepts (Ford network) screen. However both these are only updated once per day, so this information is already dated when you look. It shows the status of the vehicle as of the day before.

If you are already calling Ford you may want to ask them to give you the railcar number. Thier system is a little more real time than the dealers. Union Pacific covers a large part of the west and it is pretty cool how closely they can track a railcar.

Keep in mind, it is the railroads job to deliver to your ramp, not the dealer. When the rail is in the city it can still take up to 48 hours to place the railcar, and unload/ deliver the vehicle. Delivering the load depends on how many cars the dealership gets. The more cars the more loads.

If the dealer is located hours away from the ramp, and they order few vehicles then the car may wait for a load to be built for cars that are going that way.

Hey guys, can anyone tell me what "bucked" means? I called Ford today, and they told me the car was bucked with an eta of 7/20. THe lady told me bucked meant it was in production, but the word sounds more like it was kicked off! HELP! :sos:

Hey guys, can anyone tell me what "bucked" means? I called Ford today, and they told me the car was bucked with an eta of 7/20. THe lady told me bucked meant it was in production, but the word sounds more like it was kicked off! HELP! :sos:

It means that your car has been born. "Bucked" is an old term that goes back to when old Henry was building cars. In the begining, the bodies were hand formed on a wooden "buck" or form if you will, and when the bodies were removed from the buck, they would say that the body has been "bucked".

The term carried over to modern Automobile production, and nowdays it means that the assembly of the car is completed.

Hope this helps.

It means that your car has been born. "Bucked" is an old term that goes back to when old Henry was building cars. In the begining, the bodies were hand formed on a wooden "buck" or form if you will, and when the bodies were removed from the buck, they would say that the body has been "bucked".

The term carried over to modern Automobile production, and nowdays it means that the assembly of the car is completed.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! You made my day!! I just saw a white GT500 Vert at my local dealer...made me glad I ordered a red coupe. The vert looked plain in white without the stripes.

Thanks! You made my day!! I just saw a white GT500 Vert at my local dealer...made me glad I ordered a red coupe. The vert looked plain in white without the stripes.

I don't want to take the wind from your sails bill0754, but "Bucked" means it is on the assembly line. With the Shelbys it is about one week later that the car is "Produced" and that means it is complete. Mine took another two weeks after "Produced" before it was "Released to Gate", which is the beginning of the shipping process. Yours will probably go quicker than mine did, I hope! You are getting really close!

Mine was "Bucked" on 12 June and it was just released the 30th. I am looking for it on July 14th or so.

This is going to be well worth the waiting! Best of luck to you!

I don't want to take the wind from your sails bill0754, but "Bucked" means it is on the assembly line. With the Shelbys it is about one week later that the car is "Produced" and that means it is complete. Mine took another two weeks after "Produced" before it was "Released to Gate", which is the beginning of the shipping process. Yours will probably go quicker than mine did, I hope! You are getting really close!

Mine was "Bucked" on 12 June and it was just released the 30th. I am looking for it on July 14th or so.

This is going to be well worth the waiting! Best of luck to you!

Thanks! They are still telling me that the car's ETA to the dealer is noon on the 20th. As a PL holder, I was a little disappointed that the dealer near me already has one in the showroom. But, hopefully mine will be here in 16 days.

Archived