TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 and the 4.6L?

robertlane

According to sources at Romeo, the GT500 prototypes have been running the 4.6L DOHC engines.

We have even received word that Ford is considering using the 4.6L DOHC engine in the production version of the GT500.

Before the rumors spread across the web, which would be a first, I'm sure, :o I asked Ford if there was such a plan to drop the 5.4L in favor of the 4.6L.

In short, no. The 5.4L will be used and the rumors of a 4.6L GT500 are not accurate.

I have no reason to doubt sources that have reported seeing 4.6L DOHC engines in GT500 prototypes for one reason or another, but they will not be used in the production GT500.

I wonder if those are the California Special cars that follow the release of the Shelby?

1060[/snapback]

No, the GT/CS should be just a trim package- just like in the 60's. I could see Ford using these to tweak the 500's suspension in testing.

I could see Ford using the 4.6 for another S.E. in prep:

-Maybe it's a 4.6 for another upcoming S.E., and they are testing it- like a Mach 1 or Boss?

-Maybe it's for a GT350--like a blown 4.6 @ 400 HP?

Robert, did they indicate blown or N/A? This could give us some clues...

According to sources at Romeo, the GT500 prototypes have been running the 4.6L DOHC engines. 

We have even received word that Ford is considering using the 4.6L DOHC engine in the production version of the GT500. 

Before the rumors spread across the web, which would be a first, I'm sure,  :o  I asked Ford if there was such a plan to drop the 5.4L in favor of the 4.6L. 

In short, no.  The 5.4L will be used and the rumors of a 4.6L GT500 are not accurate.

I have no reason to doubt sources that have reported seeing 4.6L DOHC engines in GT500 prototypes for one reason or another, but they will not be used in the production GT500.

1058[/snapback]

Jesus Christ....what's rumor is next? A supercharged CS4? <_<

Before the rumors spread across the web, which would be a first, I'm sure,  :o  I asked Ford if there was such a plan to drop the 5.4L in favor of the 4.6L. 

In short, no.  The 5.4L will be used and the rumors of a 4.6L GT500 are not accurate.

1058[/snapback]

The Last thing FORD needs is to take another step backwards in the direction GM currently is heading. I would have to agree that FORD is testing performance & styling clues to figure out what direction they need to go in to restore profitability to the company. The best way to do that is to use a proven product with a reputable nameplate as a starting point. If you can use one common assembly platform & make 4, 5 or 6 different cars with distinct names & price ranges for every budget, that makes sense for manufacturing & adding profitability back into the company. In this case it’s the Mustang, an American Icon in affordable sports cars.

I see the following type of cars with total production reaching 160,000 a year.

Mustang V-6 Coupe

Mustang V-6 Convertible

Mustang V-6 Coupe (Limited Edition Classic)

Mustang GT 4.6L V-8 Coupe

Mustang GT 4.6L V-8 Convertible

Mustang 5.4L Coupe (Mach 1 Limited Edition)

Mustang 5.4L Convertible (Mach 1 Limited Edition)

Boss Mustang 4.6L Coupe (Limited Edition)

Boss Mustang 5.4L Coupe (Limited Edition)

Shelby GT-350 4.6L (Supercharged 350 H.P.)

Coupe (Limited Edition)

Shelby GT-350 4.6L (Supercharged 350 H.P.)

Convertible (Limited Edition)

Shelby GT-500 5.4L (Supercharged 450+ H.P.)

Coupe (Limited Edition)

Shelby GT-500 5.4L (Supercharged 450+ H.P.)

Convertible (Limited Edition)

Robert, did they indicate blown or N/A?  This could give us some clues...

1063[/snapback]

Here's the particulars: 4.6L cast iron block, 32 valve heads, new style supercharger, 2003/2004 Cobra internals, 450 dyno-horsepower.

No doubt that more Mustang variants are coming, so it may go in one of those. Of which, though, I do not know. These might even be test engines for some other purpose.

It's far better to put thet kabash on these GT500 rumors for Ford rather than have everyone "up in arms" - so to speak.

1058[/snapback]

W-H-E-W....I was half way to the Porshe dealer before I finished reading that......

A 4.6L GT350 (or GT500) and a 5.4L GT500KR?

Weren't some 390s installed in a few of the original GT500s? I can't remember the exact specifics but it seems like some late '67 or early '68 GT500s got the 390 after the 427 was discontinued and before the 428CJ was available in quantity (which became the GT500KR).

Just a thought...

Here's the particulars: 4.6L cast iron block, 32 valve heads, new style supercharger, 2003/2004 Cobra internals, 450 dyno-horsepower. 

No doubt that more Mustang variants are coming, so it may go in one of those. Of which, though, I do not know.  These might even be test engines for some other purpose.

It's far better to put thet kabash on these GT500 rumors for Ford rather than have everyone "up in arms" - so to speak.

1071[/snapback]

I agree. This is interesting nonetheless, and I love to sleuth & speculate! Thanks for the info!

No doubt that more Mustang variants are coming, so it may go in one of those. Of which, though, I do not know.  These might even be test engines for some other purpose.

1071[/snapback]

Up to the neck in 45k of toy payment. The thing is this ^ is the heart of the thing NOT the stripes and leather dash or decklid lettering. A cars legend is in it's performance(or lack of it). :unsure:

1058[/snapback]

1338[/snapback]

first of all, if anyone has ordered a Shelby thinking they will get it for the suggested price of $39,995.00, you are in for a rude awakening! I guarntee this car will be $45K-$48K by the time Ford figures out the demand for this vehicle. The test engines run on dyno have been 5.4 cast iron block engines with Ford GT heads plus the newer style S/C. the aluminum GT style blocks are very expensive to manufacture plus will have to be re-tooled for a wet-sump oiling system instead of the dry sump as found on the Ford GT. Hopefully, FRPP and Romeo are working together (yeah right) to produce a 5.4 aluminum block that can be used in the Shelby and for after market. It's easy to mistake the 4.6 and 5.4 cast iron blocks unless you are familiar with the skirting and valley gussets on the outside however versions of the S/C 4.6 have also been runnning at Romeo and Roush. time will only tell what the 4.6 version will be used for. If you want to really put a rumor out there, there have also been some S/C V10's running as well!

• 10 months later...

first of all, if anyone has ordered a Shelby thinking they will get it for the suggested price of $39,995.00, you are in for a rude awakening! I guarntee this car will be $45K-$48K by the time Ford figures out the demand for this vehicle. The test engines run on dyno have been 5.4 cast iron block engines with Ford GT heads plus the newer style S/C. the aluminum GT style blocks are very expensive to manufacture plus will have to be re-tooled for a wet-sump oiling system instead of the dry sump as found on the Ford GT. Hopefully, FRPP and Romeo are working together (yeah right) to produce a 5.4 aluminum block that can be used in the Shelby and for after market. It's easy to mistake the 4.6 and 5.4 cast iron blocks unless you are familiar with the skirting and valley gussets on the outside however versions of the S/C 4.6 have also been runnning at Romeo and Roush. time will only tell what the 4.6 version will be used for. If you want to really put a rumor out there, there have also been some S/C V10's running as well!

Well, we didn't get the aluminum block, but then we didn't get a $45-48k base price either (unless you are talking vert). What about that V10? :happy feet:

WTF??

Are you going back to find all these old threads? I should ask why you are!

Why are you doing this?

Have you started drinking so early? :happy feet:

This is what is called the late stages of PSDS. I read about it in the Dictionary. Once fully developed the afflicted one loses all common since untill the cure has been made available. If not cured with in a year or so, the afflicted one will go insane. :wacko:

BoneDoc: Please confirm. My credibility is on the line here. :blink:

Someone has definitely gone over the edge here :kuko:

But since such a long period of this insanity has occured, I would guess there is no longer a cure available. Next will come stories of working side by side with Henry Ford himself, inventing the production line, the first person to come up with a color other than black and last but not least, invention of the modern V-8 engine. :shrug:

If he starts talkiing about being at the battle of Bunker Hill, its time to call the men in the little white jackets. :cry:

:tease:

Someone has definitely gone over the edge here :kuko:

But since such a long period of this insanity has occured, I would guess there is no longer a cure available. Next will come stories of working side by side with Henry Ford himself, inventing the production line, the first person to come up with a color other than black and last but not least, invention of the modern V-8 engine. :shrug:

If he starts talkiing about being at the battle of Bunker Hill, its time to call the men in the little white jackets. :cry:

:tease:

So you think it's to late to save Dave :headscratch: What do you think will happen to his car :headscratch: If Terry does not want it, we could probally find a buyer on this site for it :idea:

Yeah,

Could probably split the ADM up, say with the top 10 posters? :fan:

I think we need to look at this as Ruf would say "Vewy, Vewy carefully". I suggest that a lottery system be set up so everyone has a fair shot at getting this car. As for the ADM, I think the state will pick it up. You know that is the least the state could do since he will be mopping floors for the rest of his life. :ninja:

I think we need to look at this as Ruf would say "Vewy, Vewy carefully". I suggest that a lottery system be set up so everyone has a fair shot at getting this car. As for the ADM, I think the state will pick it up. You know that is the least the state could do since he will be mopping floors for the rest of his life. :ninja:

I would rather raffle the car off & have all proceeds go to help pay Daves medical cost to make him right again :hysterical:

I suppose your right, the lottery thing was a little selfish. But do you think there is enough money in whole world that would help Dave> :sos:

Guys, hes got insurance to cover the medical stuff. Now about his car........

There has been a lot of empty promises from both Ford and the Stealerships. All I can say is this is bull SH@#.

Calling all good honest dealers give me a call I will pay sticker price now wait till Dec. that offer will be 2K under sticker suckers. Oh and thanks for Pi$$ing in my Froot Loops.

Archived