TEAM SHELBY FORUM

If I was buying a convertible today I would….

Add over-the-top stripes to a Convertible or not to?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. If I was buying a convertible today I would?.

• Order it with no stripes
    • Order it with no stripes so I could have them painted on later
    • Order it with only the GT 500 side stripes
    • Order it with GT 500 side stripes & then order the over-the-top racing stripes so they can be added to the car
  2. 2. Do you think it would hurt the value of the car if it was ever sold with the Non-factory Stripes added?

• YES
    • NO

I ordered a vert with side stripes and I will not be getting any painted on over the top- although I think it would look good. I agree, I wouldn't worry about decreased value if you like 'em. Do it! I'm nearly fifty years old and should be ordering a Lexus or something along those lines (old man's car), but I'm a Mustang and hot rod nut. So I'm getting a Mustang but not too flashy.

They will only hurt the value if this becomes a collector car...implying that collectors will value a totally original car. If it does become a collector, it won't be for a very very very very very very long time. So, if you like the look of the stripes, you might as well put them on and enjoy them. It seems inconceivable to me that the value will be hurt any time in the foreseeable future (...whatever that means!). You're kids will be driving it before it's an issue...and even then, vinyl stripes won't matter much.

And if you do think it'll be a collector, think of it this way: If a 68 GT500 convertible were on the market and it had stripes over the top of a 40 year old paint job, how much value would it lose? I don't think much.

Enjoy the car the way you want it.

They will only hurt the value if this becomes a collector car...implying that collectors will value a totally original car. If it does become a collector, it won't be for a very very very very very very long time. So, if you like the look of the stripes, you might as well put them on and enjoy them. It seems inconceivable to me that the value will be hurt any time in the foreseeable future (...whatever that means!). You're kids will be driving it before it's an issue...and even then, vinyl stripes won't matter much.

And if you do think it'll be a collector, think of it this way: If a 68 GT500 convertible were on the market and it had stripes over the top of a 40 year old paint job, how much value would it lose? I don't think much.

Enjoy the car the way you want it.

Good point! By the time these cars begin to increase in value, stripes are of the least concern to an interested buyer. Modifications to the engine will be much more critical to the prospective buyer.

Make changes to the car as you like it, not as you think how others would like it.

Opinion:

Hurt it's future value? No. Because stripes, vinyl or painted, can be removed if the purist buyer or market dictates it at the time you decide to sell the car. On the other hand, changing the entire car color to one that was not offered for that model probably would hurt.

I have ordered a convertible and will have the body top Le Mans stripes painted on it without any concern about damaging the car's future value. Frankly, I'm more concerned about mechanical changes/upgrades hurting the cars future value than adding a set of Le Mans stripes to it, but I'm still going do some changes in those areas anyway.

Although I think it would look pretty sharp, I think it would hurt the value down the road since it did not come from the factory that way. :shift:

With all of the talk about Ford Performance Packs, and power enhancements,

I think we all have already determined that if it adds to the enjoyment of the

car, or it's performance, it becomes more valuable to us as enthusiasts. Go

for it, I think the racing stripes on the vert would look cool for sure. If I were

ordering the vert, I would definately be adding the stripes.

KingCobra.

I'm with most everybody here, they won't hurt. True enthusiasts don't

sweat the minor details (like stripes). GO FOR IT!!! I'm also getting a vert. Ebony/Tung. char./red.

Then red calipers! And the correct "S H E L B Y" lettering. HELL IT'S MY CAR FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

We seem think alike on the color/stripe/interior choices. Fully loaded w/shaker 1000?

Great Minds Must Think Alike! :hysterical:

I have a question for all you Shelby enthusiast out their. I’m thinking of ordering a Convertible & ordering the over-the-top racing stripes to be added later. What are your thoughts on this & how it will be received by people like yourselves?

Stripes on the hood and trunk for the vert!!! >>> Its a man law!!!! :happy feet: :happy feet:

We seem think alike on the color/stripe/interior choices. Fully loaded w/shaker 1000?

Great Minds Must Think Alike! :hysterical:

Looks like we do!!! I originally started with the 1000, but changed my mind when

Andrew at SVT called to tell me there would be a delay on parts for the Shaker 1000. :fan:

:shift: I did not want to wait :woohoo:

Guest evilchris

Good point! By the time these cars begin to increase in value, stripes are of the least concern to an interested buyer. Modifications to the engine will be much more critical to the prospective buyer.

Make changes to the car as you like it, not as you think how others would like it.

I don't think these cars will increase in value. They will depreciate SLOWER than say a GT, but never increase.

I have a question for all you Shelby enthusiast out their. I’m thinking of ordering a Convertible & ordering the over-the-top racing stripes to be added later. What are your thoughts on this & how it will be received by people like yourselves?

I have a 'vert ordered, and I struggled with this same question for my car. I think over the top (ott) stripes would look good, but I'm leaning against them because they didn't come "from the factory". IF (big if) I do add them, I would only use FORD vinyl, not paint.

Guest evilchris

I have a 'vert ordered, and I struggled with this same question for my car. I think over the top (ott) stripes would look good, but I'm leaning against them because they didn't come "from the factory". IF (big if) I do add them, I would only use FORD vinyl, not paint.

Vinyl tape on a car is riceboy. Paint them or have none.

I like the riceboy website. Some funny stuff. Thanks for that, Chris. Otherwise, your input here seems typical of your other posts. I'm sure you're having fun.

On the stripes, get 'em if you want 'em. Who gives a rat's :censored: what someone else thinks about it? There's no right answer except what makes you feel the best. After all, that's what this car is all about...the feeling it gives you.

If this were a daily driver for me, I probably wouldn't get stripes....painted or vinyl (I still don't see why the difference is such an issue for some). It just wouldn't be for me. But it isn't a daily driver...it's a motorcycle replacement. A Sunday driver. And compared to most of the vinyl graphics on motorcycles, the stripes on the GT500 are tame...and I like 'em.

I'm sure all my buddies will be goofing on me. And they won't even wait to do it behind my back. :shift:

I like the riceboy website. Some funny stuff. Thanks for that, Chris. Otherwise, your input here seems typical of your other posts. I'm sure you're having fun.

huh, what website are you talking about??

• 2 weeks later...

Archived