TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Vinyl Stripes- Shelby GT500 or Mustang GT's

You have got to be kidding me?

Nobody that has read this has a Mustang or Mustang GT with Vinyl Stripes that can add any value to this valid question? :rant:

Last car I had with vinyl stripes was (don't laugh) a Mustang II Cobra II. As I recall, you wax them just like the painted parts. I wouldn't recommend using a buffer though. As for cracking, over years, in the sun the Cobra II stripes eventually started to crack, but I am sure the material they are using now is better than what they had in 1976.

Hope this helps.

I had a Mustang II Cobra also, but that's another story. Back to the vinyl question...on my work vans I have always had vinyl lettering. The latest vinyls used claim to have a life of 7-9 years (meaning no crack/fade warranty for that period). One of my vans has had lettering on it for almost 7 years. I have used paint sealants and quality waxes on them and have even machine polished them. These lastest vinyls are very high quality and tough and I can't imagine Ford not using the same type. Some colors do lose a little luster quicker than others, but can be polished/waxed right back to new. If you are worried about the stripes lasting 20 years, my opinion is if you take care of your paint in a way that it will last 20 years your stripes will too.

Thanks for your input put we still haven't heard from any GT owners? Let me guess none of you own a newer mustang? :hysterical:

Well I do own a 2005 GT but, as you know no stripes. I’ve had vehicles with strips and in my opinion it's a matter of how long they sit in the sun. I would think a car with good care and protection from the sun, stripes would last 20+ years but I don’t think they would last as long as the paint. My plan for my GT is, was, painted on strips with a full clear coat, but now I’m not sure if I’m going to keep it or sell it. I love my GT and have become quit fond of it, but the Shelby may help me forget that. And yes, my Shelby has stripes or as of yesterday they told me it was at SVT getting them put on.

OK - here's the definitive answer.

Will they fade, crack, shrink or peal?

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

But so will your paint eventually. Heck, so will you, given enough time.

I too had a 76 Cobra II and the stripes faded terribly after about 6 years, but the car was outside in the NJ weather all of that time. Had it been garaged it would have been a different story, I'm sure. I really wouldn't worry about it right now. Don't put too much creedence on keeping the car "perfect." You won't enjoy it as much as you should. A car can always be repainted or restriped. Try to remember, this is a special car, but in the end it's just a car.

Every single new car I have owned since 1970 has gone through a little ceremony. As soon as I get it home I take a key and scratch it in an inconspicuous spot, usually under a fender. From then on I don't worry about having a "perfect" car. You'd be surprised at the pressure it relieves.

When I first got my 1989 Mustang GT, I had the vinyl lemans stripes added end to end (white car, blue stripes). I'm not afraid to admit it - it looked bad ass. After a couple years they faded somewhat, but never cracked. Eventually, I stripped them off in favor of painted stripes.

Painted stripes are always better, but of course they cost more too.

Guest evilchris

If you want stripes on your 500, order it with stripes deleted, then have them professionally painted on so it doesn't look like a cheap POS ricer car. Vinyl is tacky.

Well.....

If the Grim Reaper has the extra $4k to do it, then all the power to him.

My car will have the vinyl. Would I prefer painted, of course. Can I justify

$4k, when the stripes should last as long as the paint does anyway...NO.

Go for the vinyl, if your not satisfied, any paint shop can remove them easily

enough, and then repaint, and clearcoat, if that's what you want to do.

KingCobra.

In 1977 I purchased a black Trans Am. The Gold bird decal on the hood and the tape stripes still looked like new when I sold it in 2004. The car never set in the sun and was not driven in the winter. The ones that were not babied and set out all the time cracked pretty quickly. I guess it depends on how you take of it. Oh yea, I made money on that car. Everybody who looked at it, including the guy who bought it, was at least 50 years old.

Guest evilchris

Well.....

If the Grim Reaper has the extra $4k to do it, then all the power to him.

My car will have the vinyl. Would I prefer painted, of course. Can I justify

$4k, when the stripes should last as long as the paint does anyway...NO.

Go for the vinyl, if your not satisfied, any paint shop can remove them easily

enough, and then repaint, and clearcoat, if that's what you want to do.

KingCobra.

Wait, so people justify spending 15k over list and losing 18k the second they are handed the keys in depreciation..... but not "4k" for a professional finish? 4k is also BS dude, I don't care that Ford charged $5k on Ford GT, any good paint shop can match the Ford paint quality with stripes for a mere $1k.

This is where you belong if you order your car with stripes:

http://www.riceboypage.com/

It's amazing how many of us owned Mustang Cobra II's yet usually don't admit it. :hysterical:

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one. Actually, it was a pretty fun little car with the 134hp 302 engine. Mine was stolen in Boston back in 1979, so I went back and bought a 1973 Mach....I think the 73 was slower than the Cobra II!!

I don't care that Ford charged $5k on Ford GT, any good paint shop can match the Ford paint quality with stripes for a mere $1k.

um, I agree. And the quality of the stripe on the Ford GT is crap. It feels like some one laid some tape down and just sprayed away...wait, I think that's what they did. Our paint shop does ten times the quality for 1/5 th the price. You can't even feel the transition between stock paint and the stripe on the Mustangs we do. It's then clear coated, wet sanded, and polished.

Also, that riceboy page is fun stuff if you're tired of all those stupid spoilers, fart-can mufflers, etc. :hysterical:

I put vinyl stripes on my Schwin in '58 and it help up nice! :hysterical:

I also did vinly pinstriping on my '68 fastback and it lasted for a good 10 years (outdoors/no garage). As from the obvious advantages of paint, the vinyl will last well, and is removeable.

I wanted paint on my Schwin too, but couldn't find a painter on my 35-cent/week allowance :)

Wait, so people justify spending 15k over list and losing 18k the second they are handed the keys in depreciation..... but not "4k" for a professional finish? 4k is also BS dude, I don't care that Ford charged $5k on Ford GT, any good paint shop can match the Ford paint quality with stripes for a mere $1k.

Well, as a matter of fact I did order my car with stripes.

It will look cool, and I could give a rats butt whether or not this meets

with your approval.

You're like a mosquito in a world without Raid.

KingCobra.

with your approval.

KingCobra.

Vinyl contains plastisizer which is what keeps it flexible. Over time this will dry out and cracking will occur.

I have produced and sold vinyl banners for years. There is no current way to eliminate this from happening

with your approval.

KingCobra.

That's why he's 'evil' :)

Ok, I feel a group hug coming on... :grouphug: you're car will look awesome, King!

Archived