TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Roll Bar for the GT500 Convertible

crispy23c

For the extra $5k, should we get one?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. For the extra $5k, should we get one?

• Keep it plain, no roll bar or styling bar
    • Give us a styling light bar
    • Give us a fully functional roll bar

Okay, the GT500 coupe & convertible are debuting in Jan (less than 2 MONTHS!!!). My '69 500 vert had the roll bar (not a true save your life rollbar, but cool) as did my '67 350 (with INERTIA REELS, functional, awesome). My other Mustang convertibles did not have this feature (obviously) from the factory. So, for all you Shelby freaks, and all you convertible freaks......maybe Ford should know how you feel.

Me:

$5,000 simoleans is alot of cake to blow to drop your top

I want a car that is distinct (that's why I would pay $45k, right?)

What would really knock my socks off? A real roll bar that looked like a styling bar. Yeah, if you could, give me those inertia reels, too. B)

So, let's hear your opinions...

• 1 month later...

Me too!!!

Looked great on the original, but I don't think I would like it as much on the new one.

KingCobra.

In hindsight years ago, seat belts & pop out windshields were laughed at becuase they were thought to show that a car was unsafe (TUCKER MOVIE) & you needed them, but now a days, Safety is a big concern.... I say give me a fully functional Roll Bar so I'm safe for the 1 in 2 billions of a chance my car rolls over on me because I had to swerve to avoid an idiot & land in a ditch. better yet maytbe it should stay in the garage where it's safe from idiots.

Functional roll bar - not that I plan on rolling her, but this IS supposed to be a bad a$$ FAST car, correct? If so, it's gotta' have the "go fast" equipment.

If it's going to have a roll bar, make it functional. No decorative cr*p on this car please!

This car has had some sacrifices for some of us.

But, if you want to stay realistic.......

Don't hold your breath on the roll bar, in any fashion.

I definately don't see that one happening, now or later.

KingCobra.

This car has had some sacrifices for some of us.

But, if you want to stay realistic.......

Don't hold your breath on the roll bar, in any fashion.

I definately don't see that one happening, now or later.

KingCobra.

I agree KingCobra... cost will kill it. If it's wanted, we'll have to find it in the aftermarket world I'm sure.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a bigger, heavier version than the original GT500, hence the flat black band at the bottom of the car to visually slim the car down. I think it might make the car look too bulky with a roll bar.

KingCobra.

I love the stuff they do....appears to be nice quality, too. Did you guys see their "glassback" concept? Verrrry nice. I was even wondering if they were (or someone else was) going to produce the GTR taillamps...

I can ask if you want me too? George is a very good friend of mine. The glassback is now on the new Saleen.

I can ask if you want me too? George is a very good friend of mine. The glassback is now on the new Saleen.

Do you have a pic of the Saleen with the GTR tail lights.

What is the glassback you're refering to???

KingCobra.

Do you have a pic of the Saleen with the GTR tail lights.

What is the glassback you're refering to???

KingCobra.

Glassback is the complete glass roof. See photo. The GTR taillights are not in production, but I will ask.

Here a link for the sequential taillights.

http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com/catal...isplay/635.html

glassback4.jpg

glassback4.jpg

They look the same to me.....

what am I missing here???

KingCobra.

Look closely at his picture. The whole roof is glass. Very cool. If I remember right, this was developed along with Ford for the Mustang GT concept car, correct, Pat?

Is that now standard or optional on the Saleen? This would look very nice!

No, I could see the roof being glass (not for me, not on this car)

I meant that I could not see the difference in the tail laights.

KingCobra.

When you click the link I mentioned earlier, you see the site of CDC. The lights blink from inside to the outside.

I think you are right about the glass roof, Crispy. Here is the 2006 Saleen.

saleen_2006_Ford_Mustang_S281_Scenic_Roof_001_1.jpg

saleen_2006_Ford_Mustang_S281_Scenic_Roof_001_1.jpg

Nice pic, Pat...very nice!

King, as far as the one color rockers, look closely at the Saleen. He is using different ground effects on the rockers. They are more detailed than the factory ones, changing the effect of it. Since Ford's aren't fluted, they might appear more 'slab-sided' if painted one color. Let me try to find some one-color Shelbys. If I can dig some up, I'll send/post them tomorrow for your review. I'm pretty sure I have one...somewhere! :unsure:

Nice pic, Pat...very nice!

King, as far as the one color rockers, look closely at the Saleen. He is using different ground effects on the rockers. They are more detailed than the factory ones, changing the effect of it. Since Ford's aren't fluted, they might appear more 'slab-sided' if painted one color. Let me try to find some one-color Shelbys. If I can dig some up, I'll send/post them tomorrow for your review. I'm pretty sure I have one...somewhere! :unsure:

Thanks Bud,

I was pretty sure I had at least one myself, but to no avail.

What do you think it would look like to paint all the lower black trim to match the body colour (Torch Red)?

KingCobra.

Archived