• after 1 year
    • after 5 years
    • after 10 years
    • after 15 years
    • more than 20 years

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worthless factoid: In 1967, Eduardo Velazquez, a shelby parts dealer, formed a partnership with Carroll Shelby to convert Mexican made mustangs into shelbys. Between 1967 and 1971, over 1200 were made.

I've even got a mag with a photo of one sporting a vinyl roof. Actually doesn't look half bad.

John

I bet one of those in good condition is worth a bit.

Evil, Appears to me you are one of about 10 people who rented same car and used same pic?

The same pic is on a bunch of different forums/sites saying they all took same pic?

I've seen it to. No disrespect intended, but honestly, who proudly displays a picture of a car they rented?

Not angry, just don't have brainless fanboy lust. My car has A/C, power steering, and I can drive for 8 hour stretchs ( SD to SF ) no problem.

I hope you 11 year old doesn't grow soon! I just rented a GT-H, and am 6'1" tall. With the driver seat in a comfortable position, the back TOUCHES the rear seat!

Evilchris,

do you live in SD, cause I'd love to race you to SF in my 04.

do you really think your 5.0 can hang at 120mph for 8hrs?

My guess is not... but if I'm wrong I would love to see this

10 sec. car of yours :shift:

The point is this is a modern car with 500hp STOCK!!!

I know you understand that :hysterical: and 4 SEATS :rockon:

Guest evilchris

I've seen it to. No disrespect intended, but honestly, who proudly displays a picture of a car they rented?

Uh, people who know other people are into the car, and are MUSTANG ENTHUSIASTS, apparently unlike you.

Evilchris,

do you live in SD, cause I'd love to race you to SF in my 04.

do you really think your 5.0 can hang at 120mph for 8hrs?

My guess is not... but if I'm wrong I would love to see this

10 sec. car of yours :shift:

The point is this is a modern car with 500hp STOCK!!!

I know you understand that :hysterical: and 4 SEATS :rockon:

Only an idiotic immature kid would sustain 120MPH on I5. Yeah I am sure you'll get through LA at that speed, moron.

Uh, people who know other people are into the car, and are MUSTANG ENTHUSIASTS, apparently unlike you.

Only an idiotic immature kid would sustain 120MPH on I5. Yeah I am sure you'll get through LA at that speed, moron.

"idiotic, moron" I guess you think I'm stupid... well I guess your car isn't all that..

Really now, this was just talk, but you MUST be EVIL to insult someone like that.

GOOD LUCK WITHOUT YOUR SHELBY :hysterical:

Guest evilchris

"idiotic, moron" I guess you think I'm stupid... well I guess your car isn't all that..

Really now, this was just talk, but you MUST be EVIL to insult someone like that.

GOOD LUCK WITHOUT YOUR SHELBY :hysterical:

My car isn't all that because I don't drive 120MPH in traffic on an Interstate? You're a genius.

You are such a tool, you think I can't get a GT500? I could easily afford 15k over MSRP. Problem is, the car isn't even close to worth it. It's a high 30's car in my book. That's why I won't buy one, by choice. There are several dealers on this site willing to sell RIGHT NOW for $10k over. Easily buyable by me, but $52k for a Mustang with a blower? LOL

My car isn't all that because I don't drive 120MPH in traffic on an Interstate? You're a genius.

You are such a tool, you think I can't get a GT500? I could easily afford 15k over MSRP. Problem is, the car isn't even close to worth it. It's a high 30's car in my book. That's why I won't buy one, by choice. There are several dealers on this site willing to sell RIGHT NOW for $10k over. Easily buyable by me, but $52k for a Mustang with a blower? LOL

:shrug: ..........and you come on a GT500 forum to insult...........why????

[quote name='evilchris' date='Jun 28 2006,

You are such a tool, you think I can't get a GT500? I could easily afford 15k over MSRP. . Easily buyable by me,

Really now, who are you kidding. Aside from your paper route and jobs at Taco Bell and Burger King you'll never have any hope of owning a real production version. Now a scale model of the GT500 is propably something within your grasp. Buy one and move on.

At the risk of flames, I am very frustrated that these back and forths are starting in this forum. Negative exchanges like this have chased 2 of my best technical sources away from the shelby portion of svt performance forum. I want this forum to stay successful.

Evil, I am not contesting anything you say, but why do you see the need to come to the shelby portion of this forum to express your views as to why the shelby is overpriced? That type of belief is an individual opinion, and you are certainly entitled to yours. Just say it once and move on. Why engage in the arguement that is bound to occur, since these forums are mostly populated by persons who like the shelby and most likely will buy one if possible. Are you trying to convince them not to? I would like these forums to move on to discuss common topics of interest to the fans of the shelby, just like all of the other car forums. Those without interest in the shelby, or those who dislike it, should probably just move on since the car is now in production and most of us would like to move beyond that discussion.

For what it is worth, I enjoy all discussions and photos of mustangs and shelbys. That includes rentals, etc. I am sure that some of my posting do not interest everyone, but I would expect them to just not view what I post.

John

At the risk of flames, I am very frustrated that these back and forths are starting in this forum. Negative exchanges like this have chased 2 of my best technical sources away from the shelby portion of svt performance forum. I want this forum to stay successful.

Evil, I am not contesting anything you say, but why do you see the need to come to the shelby portion of this forum to express your views as to why the shelby is overpriced? That type of belief is an individual opinion, and you are certainly entitled to yours. Just say it once and move on. Why engage in the arguement that is bound to occur, since these forums are mostly populated by persons who like the shelby and most likely will buy one if possible. Are you trying to convince them not to? I would like these forums to move on to discuss common topics of interest to the fans of the shelby, just like all of the other car forums. Those without interest in the shelby, or those who dislike it, should probably just move on since the car is now in production and most of us would like to move beyond that discussion.

For what it is worth, I enjoy all discussions and photos of mustangs and shelbys. That includes rentals, etc. I am sure that some of my posting do not interest everyone, but I would expect them to just not view what I post.

John

Hear, Hear, I second that after learning my lession with Five Oh B about dealer ADM's. Say it once & move on....Let her go son, it's not worth it & you don't want to be black-balled. have a drink or a shot so we all can be happy. :party: :tequila:

Guest evilchris

He's such a sandbox playing, passive-aggressive, personality disorder,

kid with a grudge, and a s :censored: t stain in his shorts. :fan::baby::cry:

KingCobra.

HAHAHAHAHA yeah I HAVE A SHITSTAIN IN MY SHORTS!!! YOU"RE SO FUNNY OMG I LAUGHED AHAHAHAHAHAHA

The general public isn't even aware of this car yet. They are jetting around in their SUV's at 60,000 a pop and pretty soon a coupe is going to blow their doors off and have a nasty purr doing it, and they are going to wonder what the heck they are doing in a truck! It is affordable, it is an awesome piece of machinery and the production is stil relatively low. It will make you smile when you drive it, you will name her, and you'll have dreams about her...........................It is not just another vehicle!.......................and she will be coveted by all. Even if it is just due to marketing..........she will hold her price.........but you won't ever want to sell her!

Oh, yeah..............dreams really do come true!

The general public isn't even aware of this car yet. They are jetting around in their SUV's at 60,000 a pop and pretty soon a coupe is going to blow their doors off and have a nasty purr doing it, and they are going to wonder what the heck they are doing in a truck! It is affordable, it is an awesome piece of machinery and the production is stil relatively low. It will make you smile when you drive it, you will name her, and you'll have dreams about her...........................It is not just another vehicle!.......................and she will be coveted by all. Even if it is just due to marketing..........she will hold her price.........but you won't ever want to sell her!

Odd that perfectly describes my 97 COBRA. Only it didn't have catch me come F--k me stripes. Hmm all that is old is new again, only everybody wants a piece now.... :rant:

Odd that perfectly describes my 97 COBRA. Only it didn't have catch me come F--k me stripes. Hmm all that is old is new again, only everybody wants a piece now.... :rant:

But it didn't have Carroll Shelby involved. He doesn't hit me as the kind of guy to put his name on something impersonal. If they put his name on it............it is going to be to his specs.

YOU ARE BUT POETRY TO MY EARS :woohoo:

The general public isn't even aware of this car yet....

Anyone who cares about this type of car knows about the GT500. If they don't, they live in a cave. Serioiusly, think about the number of newspaper and magazine articles you've seen. The ones that don't know about it simply aren't the type that will be in the market for one...

I've actually been surprised by the number of my non-automotive-type friends that are well aware of this car when I tell them I ordered one. Very surprised.

The hype is now. It will die off. And so will the price.

But it didn't have Carroll Shelby involved. He doesn't hit me as the kind of guy to put his name on something impersonal. If they put his name on it............it is going to be to his specs.

But, if I paid you millions of dollars to use your name and put the collective skills of 300 engineers to work on the development of the car, Carroll's specs would be virtually meaningless because there aren't any Carroll Shelby specs that relate to engineering. Carroll is an idol of mine and I'm truly happy he and Ford have resumed the love-fest, but actual engineering by Crroll Shelby/Shelby Autos in the GT500 is essentially zero! Life is different today. All the engineering talent and core engineering design tools in Shelby Autos is non-existant realtive to Fords capabilities. Sure SA gets to review and have input and the contract surely details that relationship, but that's what it is.. a contract realtionship. Ford gets to use Shelby's name and the marques, e.g. GT500, and Shelby gets to review and collect contract payments. Aside from viewing what Ford has done and possibly suggesting the rear tires be wider, Shelby's engineering contribution to the GT500 beyond its name and his name is essentially zero. And that's the real truth. Engineering production volume cars today is far beyone the capabilities of Shelby Autos or any other organization of it's size and skill base. Please don't take this post the wrong way, I don't mean to denegrate Carroll or his people in any way, I just don't want anyone to think the GT500 has more than a whisper of actual Carroll Shelby content in it -- yet, it is an awesome vehicle and one I'm sure Shelby is pleased with, even if it's far beyond what his organization is presently capable of doing themselves.

But, if I paid you millions of dollars to use your name and put the collective skills of 300 engineers to work on the development of the car, Carroll's specs would be virtually meaningless because there aren't any Carroll Shelby specs that relate to engineering. Carroll is an idol of mine and I'm truly happy he and Ford have resumed the love-fest, but actual engineering by Crroll Shelby/Shelby Autos in the GT500 is essentially zero! Life is different today. All the engineering talent and core engineering design tools in Shelby Autos is non-existant realtive to Fords capabilities. Sure SA gets to review and have input and the contract surely details that relationship, but that's what it is.. a contract realtionship. Ford gets to use Shelby's name and the marques, e.g. GT500, and Shelby gets to review and collect contract payments. Aside from viewing what Ford has done and possibly suggesting the rear tires be wider, Shelby's engineering contribution to the GT500 beyond its name and his name is essentially zero. And that's the real truth. Engineering production volume cars today is far beyone the capabilities of Shelby Autos or any other organization of it's size and skill base. Please don't take this post the wrong way, I don't mean to denegrate Carroll or his people in any way, I just don't want anyone to think the GT500 has more than a whisper of actual Carroll Shelby content in it -- yet, it is an awesome vehicle and one I'm sure Shelby is pleased with, even if it's far beyond what his organization is presently capable of doing themselves.

300 Engineers! That's funny. :hysterical: I highly dought they had that many, maybe 30 on a team. What ever the number, Carrol has stated many times that he's no engineer, but he does know what he wants out of a car when his name is on it & HTT took all that info along with his engineers talent & modeled a modern day master piece with Carrol Shelby's flare and input. Combine that with the Ford's latest & greatest engineers & you have what we have....a Reborn MUSSLE CAR.

Please don't take this post the wrong way, I don't mean to denegrate Carroll or his people in any way, I just don't want anyone to think the GT500 has more than a whisper of actual Carroll Shelby content in it -- yet, it is an awesome vehicle and one I'm sure Shelby is pleased with, even if it's far beyond what his organization is presently capable of doing themselves.

Thanks for taking the bullet on that one 68. Most folks just won't accept that Mr. Shelby with most of an amazing life behind him is no longer any kind of automotive engineer. He IS however an enthusiast. And Ford could use as many of those as possible right now. The car is about an 8/10's SVT. And the the other 2/10's belongs to marketing. Makes me wonder what might have showed up with a full 10/10ths effort. Especially after the stellar introduction of the S-197 platform. Folks here forget that the SN-95, archaic as it was, was still selling in VERY good numbers.

Thanks for taking the bullet on that one 68. Most folks just won't accept that Mr. Shelby with most of an amazing life behind him is no longer any kind of automotive engineer. He IS however an enthusiast. And Ford could use as many of those as possible right now. The car is about an 8/10's SVT. And the the other 2/10's belongs to marketing. Makes me wonder what might have showed up with a full 10/10ths effort. Especially after the stellar introduction of the S-197 platform. Folks here forget that the SN-95, archaic as it was, was still selling in VERY good numbers.

JETSOLVER, my friend, thank you. Somehow I knew you'd spot that (bullet taking) -- nothing gets by you :) The nature of this Ford-Shelby contract is apparently still a mystery to many of the faithful. The world is a very different place today, as I know you know.

Coldwater, the 300 engineers I mentioned was meant to refer to the enginering breath of SVT, though I realize only a select group work on a given project... and I think they did one hell of a job on the GT500.

I would hate for anyone to think I have anything other than great admiration for Carroll Shelby. But, as I posted about a month ago, the Ford-Shelby contract is much more akin to Ralph Lauren sunglasses and Martha Stewart paint than anything resembling a true enginering collaboration, with the important exception that Carroll actually KNOWS about the subject of this contract -- CARS -- and can provide useful feedback, whereas other "branding" contracts are merely that :)

I don't think he is removed from the project as you say. I think the man has pride and integrity and has enough $ to be able to provide a contract that says when his name is on this vehicle it will be a vehicle that he condones as being top quality. I am not saying Shelby did the engineering but you can bet he pushed for a great product and he made a difference in what this car would of been compared to what it is.

I think the Thunderbird hype took Ford out of the market for some buyers so they haven't paid attention to a "Shelby" Mustang. Anyway, I will defer to the future to see what happens with it..........but my gut says this is a car that will hold it's value and be a collectible in the future.

The discussion is appreciated, though. Only the future will tell...

JETSOLVER, my friend, thank you. Somehow I knew you'd spot that (bullet taking) -- nothing gets by you :) The nature of this Ford-Shelby contract is apparently still a mystery to many of the faithful. The world is a very different place today, as I know you know.

Coldwater, the 300 engineers I mentioned was meant to refer to the enginering breath of SVT, though I realize only a select group work on a given project... and I think they did one hell of a job on the GT500.

I would hate for anyone to think I have anything other than great admiration for Carroll Shelby. But, as I posted about a month ago, the Ford-Shelby contract is much more akin to Ralph Lauren sunglasses and Martha Stewart paint than anything resembling a true enginering collaboration, with the important exception that Carroll actually KNOWS about the subject of this contract -- CARS -- and can provide useful feedback, whereas other "branding" contracts are merely that :)

Point well taken & worth noting. No harm No foul....Play ball...I mean Smoke them tires :hysterical:

I am not saying Shelby did the engineering but you can bet he pushed for a great product and he made a difference in what this car would of been compared to what it is.

Nobody is impuning Mr. Shelby's character or his background. But if you have been out of the performance factory game for a while(and some here have, attracted by the SHELBY name they are interested again, which has the potential to be a good thing) you should know that for 14 years the SVT program was responsible for the entire renaissance of REAL high performance at Ford and the rest of the automotive world. With the exception of BMW's "M" division ALL (SRT,Mercedes AMG, Chevy's SS, NISMO,TRD,Mazdaspeed, Quatro Gmbh, and all the other followers in the factory "tuners") are around because SVT went first with the idea that there was a market for no gingerbread TOTAL performance cars. :bowdown: (120000 serious performance vehicles, three completly new performance segments, and the baddest cars EVER made in Dearborn the "R's"). So while we all respect the pride and integrety of the estimable Mr. Shelby and his LEGACY, we should give equal time to the actual people who concieved, sold the concept to suits, engineered, and marketed the modern version we covered with those cool badges. In response to the inevitable flamers, I would direct your attention to the GT-H, which is more of a limited edition SHELBY than the SVT/GT500 is. A sticker/badge job with a little marketing thrown in. And the best part is , SVT fans are not as accepting as SHELBY fans, we are pissed that the car fell short of its potential.

I don't think he is removed from the project as you say. I think the man has pride and integrity and has enough $ to be able to provide a contract that says when his name is on this vehicle it will be a vehicle that he condones as being top quality. I am not saying Shelby did the engineering but you can bet he pushed for a great product and he made a difference in what this car would of been compared to what it is.

I think the Thunderbird hype took Ford out of the market for some buyers so they haven't paid attention to a "Shelby" Mustang. Anyway, I will defer to the future to see what happens with it..........but my gut says this is a car that will hold it's value and be a collectible in the future.

The discussion is appreciated, though. Only the future will tell...

agree.

everyone here speculates that Carroll Shelby was distant from this project.

who knows that for a fact? what proof does anyone have of this? in every interview that Thai-Tang gives about this car he states that shelby was heavily involved since the beginning (from the conception stage). why do people doubt that?

Shelby is a rich man with alot of pride. his reputation is built on hard work. he was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth. he certainly does not need the money. I don't think he would put his name on a car that he wasn't involved in or that didn't meet with his absolute approval.

just MHO.

Archived