• after 1 year
    • after 5 years
    • after 10 years
    • after 15 years
    • more than 20 years

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't this depend on how much you are paying? If you are paying MSRP, then the value will certainly go up "right off the truck" - at least for a short time. If you're paying $20K over MRSP, then the value of your car is obviously much less likely to go up at any time. Perhaps a better question would be, "Will the value of the GT500 increase from the current MSRP?"

Doesn't this depend on how much you are paying? If you are paying MSRP, then the value will certainly go up "right off the truck" - at least for a short time. If you're paying $20K over MRSP, then the value of your car is obviously much less likely to go up at any time. Perhaps a better question would be, "Will the value of the GT500 increase from the current MSRP?"

Exactly. While those who paid the outragous ADM's might get theirs a few months before me, my car will automatically make me more $$ if I ever sell it because I didn't pay as much as they did. I guess it depends on what a few months of driving is worth to some people.

BTW - I really hate these "collectable" and "what will it be worth in x years" discussions. Buying any car because of potential future value is speculation at it's riskiest!

I voted 10+ years & this is why.

I am buying this car because I have always wanted a Shelby & at the rate of fun I like to have , I see myself never having enough money to purchase a 1967-70 Shelby at the current prices.

The 2007 Shelby GT500 fits my needs & affordability. It has Carrol Shelby input & his blessing so in my book that still makes it a True Shelby. Some collectors are stuck in the past about how they use to be made away from the factory. Well, times have changed & Carrol isn't in his 40's anymore. Carrol is 83 & in 10 years he'll be 93 & if he doesn't make it that long (heaven forbid) then everything with his name on will instantly go up in value like a Pacasso Painting. So yes they will be come a collectable in due time, but the furture value is unknown.

I am buying this car because I have always wanted a Shelby & at the rate of fun I like to have , I see myself never having enough money to purchase a 1967-70 Shelby at the current prices.

The 2007 Shelby GT500 fits my needs & affordability. It has Carrol Shelby input & his blessing so in my book that still makes it a True Shelby. Some collectors are stuck in the past about how they use to be made away from the factory. Well, times have changed & Carrol isn't in his 40's anymore. Carrol is 83 & in 10 years he'll be 93 & if he doesn't make it that long (heaven forbid) then everything with his name on will instantly go up in value like a Pacasso Painting. So yes they will be come a collectable in due time, but the furture value is unknown.

SAAC says it's a Shelby and believe me, they're not letting it in if it's not in their book. They've let some bizarre stuff in, but they're sort of the litmus test.

:shift:

bj

ColdwaterHotrod:

I totally agree , If you want one as most of us do & you can afford what they are asking BUY IT.

As Carroll Shelby put it DRIVE THEM. Don`t worry about how much they will increase in price enjoy them. (THey probably will go up as everything has, that has SHELBY on it)

Only My 2cts

When a topic like this comes up on any board it sure is a mixed bag of nuts but here's my opinion.

Like most here as much as I'd love a 65 GT350 unless I sell my house and live in the car I can't afford one. Thus buying the white/blue stripe. However, lets go back to the mid to late 60's for a minute. How many people back then bought a Shelby for it's collectibility and future value? I'm going to guess not too many. I'm pretty sure they bought them to beat the everloving cr@p out of them, to cruise and to satisfy their ego of being the top dog in the hood.

Pretty much the same reasons I have for buying this car. Will it be worth mega $$ in 20 years time? I personally don't care because I'll have 20 years of driving it under my belt. What's that worth moneywise? PRICELESS! IMO

I was pumped about this car from the first time I saw it. My wife compares me to an expectant father these days. Dates...... ordering, deposit, build, delivery, pick up, and finally the first cruise. WHAT A FEELING!

Lastly, what it's worth is a matter of one major detail. Selling it. It's only worth X if you sell it. If you don't plan on selling it what's it matter, you got 500+hp at your disposal.

Off soapox now. ;)

Guest evilchris

This car won't depreciate as fast as say a Mustang GT, but it will never increase in value. This car as I have said many times is a an SVT Cobra with some marketing thrown on. Great car, but will not be a "legend" like the 60's Shelby's. Times have changed.

Shelby or not, this car is the performance bargain of the century.

But it is also a Shelby!!!

Like everything else, when you have a desirable product that is in demand

and the supply isn't there, because cars get totaled, held onto by collectors

and enthusiasts, that reduces supply inflating the purchase price.

Simple economics.

How long will it take to reach that point??? Who cares!!!

KingCobra.

Guest evilchris

Is $65,000 a bargain for a Mustang with a blown 5.4? I think the terminator's were a better performance bargain. THey ran the same times stock as the GT500 is getting in mags due to 300 lbs less weight and had a much lower MSRP.

One could also argue the base LS2 Vette is the performance bargain of the century since it outperforms the GT500, is easy to get, is cheaper, and is a much more sophisticated car.

Is $65,000 a bargain for a Mustang with a blown 5.4? I think the terminator's were a better performance bargain. THey ran the same times stock as the GT500 is getting in mags due to 300 lbs less weight and had a much lower MSRP.

One could also argue the base LS2 Vette is the performance bargain of the century since it outperforms the GT500, is easy to get, is cheaper, and is a much more sophisticated car.

:doh:

Here we go again. $65K ?? maybe for some, not all, some or many will get msrp. As fast??......NO!! fastest so far with the best mag is 12.25@117, same mag for the Term..........12.67@111. Vette, 2 seater, no comparison. I take it you don't like this car or have no luck in getting one???

Guest evilchris

I've got a low 11 second 5.0 ( 331 stroker ) atm. I like the GT500 but find it too heavy and overhyped. Ford didn't innovate on it, they stuffed a larger engine and a blower in a Mustang GT and put some bigger brakes on it. Let's not forget the riceboy CHEAP tape stripes! All of a sudden it's a LEGENDARY Shelby? Come on... I think if they could have done it at 3600 lbs it'd be killer. 57/43 weight distribution is TERRIBLE and should have NEVER been allowed. Why couldn't they have at least moved the damn battery to the trunk? Would have been 56/44 then. Please list an amazing innovation Ford did on this car. Why does the Hertz GT-H look better? Nice billet grille, no honeycomb!

I also couldn't care less what MM&FF's times are. They ice intakes, run slicks, and powershift, a method NEVER USED by an average joe with the car.

Come on bro, lets be honest, do you count the rear seats in the Mustang as anything other than seats for small children? Hertz rent a car even lists it this way.

I've got a low 11 second 5.0 ( 331 stroker ) atm. I like the GT500 but find it too heavy and overhyped. Ford didn't innovate on it, they stuffed a larger engine and a blower in a Mustang GT and put some bigger brakes on it. Let's not forget the riceboy CHEAP tape stripes! All of a sudden it's a LEGENDARY Shelby? Come on... I think if they could have done it at 3600 lbs it'd be killer. 57/43 weight distribution is TERRIBLE and should have NEVER been allowed. Why couldn't they have at least moved the damn battery to the trunk? Would have been 56/44 then. Please list an amazing innovation Ford did on this car. Why does the Hertz GT-H look better? Nice billet grille, no honeycomb!

I also couldn't care less what MM&FF's times are. They ice intakes, run slicks, and powershift, a method NEVER USED by an average joe with the car.

Come on bro, lets be honest, do you count the rear seats in the Mustang as anything other than seats for small children? Hertz rent a car even lists it this way.

So, I had my one owner, original blk paint, original '82 GT that ran 10's NA and still somewhat streetable. So, what's your point?? This car is a 500 hp modern day musclecar for $50,000 Canadian..........and yes, I do count seats, my family totals 3 with my 11 year old boy. Can you drive your car 4 hours away to the Woodward Cruise?? Would you try??, would you be comfortable trying to??? See my point? This car is quick stock, yes admit it is heavy but most are nowadays, but as we know with the Terms, lots of potential left for little money. I'm being honest. You sound angry..........chill.

Guest evilchris

So, I had my one owner, original blk paint, original '82 GT that ran 10's NA and still somewhat streetable. So, what's your point?? This car is a 500 hp modern day musclecar for $50,000 Canadian..........and yes, I do count seats, my family totals 3 with my 11 year old boy. Can you drive your car 4 hours away to the Woodward Cruise?? Would you try??, would you be comfortable trying to??? See my point? This car is quick stock, yes admit it is heavy but most are nowadays, but as we know with the Terms, lots of potential left for little money. I'm being honest. You sound angry..........chill.

Not angry, just don't have brainless fanboy lust. My car has A/C, power steering, and I can drive for 8 hour stretchs ( SD to SF ) no problem.

I hope you 11 year old doesn't grow soon! I just rented a GT-H, and am 6'1" tall. With the driver seat in a comfortable position, the back TOUCHES the rear seat!

I'm pretty sure MM didn't use a slick on that test. I will agree that the billet grille looks pretty trick though

Guest evilchris

I'm pretty sure MM didn't use a slick on that test. I will agree that the billet grille looks pretty trick though

Seems you can buy the same thing from Cervini. I'll be adding that to my new stang.

My rental, #85. I wish the GT500 had the look of the GT-H, minus the wing. Interstingly enough, the GT-H isn't a Shelby either, it's an FRPP car with a Cervini grille! Shelby doesn't do stangs anymore. Saleen is more original, at least they design their own bodykit!

shel2.JPG

Guest evilchris

Evil, Appears to me you are one of about 10 people who rented same car and used same pic?

The same pic is on a bunch of different forums/sites saying they all took same pic?

I posted mine June 9th. I can scan my Hertz invoice if you need "proof". That's also my driveway the car is in and I can take additional pics of it, car is gone of course!

BTW - I really hate these "collectable" and "what will it be worth in x years" discussions. Buying any car because of potential future value is speculation at it's riskiest!

^At least this time it has its own thread. And just because I feel like it here is a quote from a 2000 "R" model owner(a very much rarer car than this, and a heckuva lot more focused)"

The 2000 Cobra R was available to anyone willing to pay $54.995+ for the car. The info. provided by the original owner of my car showed the original window sticker, plus an additional "dealer" sticker that was next to the window sticker in the passenger window with an "adjusted market value" of $10K bringing the total to $64,995. The original buyer of my 00R payed $58K and sold it to me 3 years later with 21.6 miles on it for $40K. So much for hype! The same "hype" happened with the Ford GT and is now happening with the GT500. People can quickly be buried in these cars when they get caught up in the hype. There is no magic, they are late model cars, specialty cars yes, but still late model, they depreciate. The main difference is, the more special/limited, the quicker the resale market "could possibly" turn around." Ouch; but thems the facts.

Man, you guys crack me up with this 12.25 stuff for a 4,000 pound car. Please don't take yours to the track because you will not be happy. Just keep believing. High, high 12's if you are a very good driver. But I want one anyway. Let's see how soon I can get one for MSRP. Surely by mid 2008 if not Spring 2007.

Man, you guys crack me up with this 12.25 stuff for a 4,000 pound car. Please don't take yours to the track because you will not be happy. Just keep believing. High, high 12's if you are a very good driver. But I want one anyway. Let's see how soon I can get one for MSRP. Surely by mid 2008 if not Spring 2007.

:hysterical: My guess is you're not a regular on the quarter mile track. Many CAN drive not just Evan Smith

So you admit you didnt bother to read the article! If you had you would not have posted the slicks remarks, or you read it and are bowing smoke out certain orifices of your body. Personally I think the GT-H looks like any other of the several add on folks. I like the GT-500 front end much better. So, our tastes dont match, does not make your opinion worth any more or any less than mine. Dude, you just cant handle the facts. The only things you got right is 1: No they wont apreciate in the near future but they will hold thier value better and 2: They are too heavy. Maybe you would put your fox body up against one at a nice road course. Now that would be interesting. No, we are not all mind numbed lemmings. Your the one who thinks so highly of himself that he states his opinions as facts. Your just here to try to annoy people and sir, you are very good at it!

I've seen a lot of talk on this board and others that the 2007 Shelby GT500 is not a real Shelby or is not going to valuable because all Ford did was to add a bigger engine, new hood, some stripes, badging, etc.

My question is, how is this any different than the Shelbys of old? How are the 67/68 Shelbys so much different than the 67/68 fastback Mustangs? Didn't Carroll Shelby just start with a Mustang and add a bigger engine, stripes, hood, badging, etc? What am I missing?

post-2517-1151443761_thumb.jpg

post-2517-1151443771_thumb.jpg

post-2517-1151443761_thumb.jpg

post-2517-1151443771_thumb.jpg

I've seen a lot of talk on this board and others that the 2007 Shelby GT500 is not a real Shelby or is not going to valuable because all Ford did was to add a bigger engine, new hood, some stripes, badging, etc.

My question is, how is this any different than the Shelbys of old? How are the 67/68 Shelbys so much different than the 67/68 fastback Mustangs? Didn't Carroll Shelby just start with a Mustang and add a bigger engine, stripes, hood, badging, etc? What am I missing?

Excellent point!

I guess the only difference is where they were put together then vs now. I personally don't have a problem with Ford building the entire car.

You are absolutely correct - Bottom line is that it is a Shelby and it is called a Shelby. This could make it an instant collectable on name alone, like it or not. The word Shelby alone pulls a lot of weight in the car world. Thems the facts Jack.

My guess is that most of the bashers on the board are the guys that really want one but can not secure one due to such a high demand for the car.

Let them have their fun - Lets Play with them. :party:

One thing we do know is the 68 SHelby is worth about 125,000 to 150,000 more than a 68 Mustang.

Archived