TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Made Up My Mind

RUFDRAFT

It's amazing. They have '07's ON THE GROUND - and yet we can't get any info. :banghead:

How many Mustangs do they sell?

Sheesh. :finger:

fyi, Bryan, for what it's worth, <unspeakable-dealer-name> Ford (on this thread GT's near Invoice) say they have 15 GTs at near invoice prices. Maybe they have some some useful info for you. (If you recall, one of their salesmen is who went ballistic and was cursing me out for no apparent reason a couple weeks back, and that Kaylan had to edit off the thread, but if they have the GT you want.... personally, I would never buy from them, but....) Anyhow just a thought.

Good luck, my friend...

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see us gathered up at some resort.

Big dining hall. Lots of "kill" stories. A little too much beer.

My cyber-friend, HUH?? :doh:

A little too much beer. NEVER! (done in my best Homer) Mmmmmmmmmmm beer!

I too was afraid to post here as I think I have painfully come to the realization that the GT500 is just not a good idea financially for me at this time.

I have been avoiding this site as I doubt I'll be getting one this season.

RUFDRAFT; even if I don't have a GT500, can I meet up at the resort? I drove to Las Vegas for a Mach1 meet back in 2004. I enjoy driving.

Planning a Route 66 trek starting in Chicago next season. Any takers? :shift:

WTF? :bandance:

Put Down the Crack Pipe and back away from the door. :hysterical:

I have returned the crack pipe to your home, back by the front door where she was found. Enjoy.

I'm thinking of these rims:

http://www.americanracing.com/wheels/detai...amp;section=SL#

Then - a Shelby Hertz hood - and silver stripes over the top and on the rockers. :shift:

(on a black coupe)

My cyber-friend, HUH?? :doh:

A little too much beer. NEVER! (done in my best Homer) Mmmmmmmmmmm beer!

I too was afraid to post here as I think I have painfully come to the realization that the GT500 is just not a good idea financially for me at this time.

I have been avoiding this site as I doubt I'll be getting one this season.

RUFDRAFT; even if I don't have a GT500, can I meet up at the resort? I drove to Las Vegas for a Mach1 meet back in 2004. I enjoy driving.

Planning a Route 66 trek starting in Chicago next season. Any takers? :shift:

You might want to start a new forum thread on on Rte66 trip (or on trips others might also be planning) just a thought -- there's probably be some interest ;-)

fui... August Road & Track has article on Roush Stage-3: built off GT 415HP and $46,945. 0-60 4.7sec. 1/4 in 13.3/107.8. Reason I'm posting here is that for $5,699 you buy the complete Roush blower kit (5psi low bost rootes-type add-on; all components, re-flash, etc included).

They liked the stage-3 a lot and looks really nice too. Pricey, though. But for $5700 (just the blower kit) over a base GT and a weekend install, not a bad pony!

Whipple? Isn't that the guy who said "Don't squeeze the Charmin". :hysterical:

Honk! Honk! Yes, I believe it it is, Dave! :)

----------------------------------------------------------

RUF, some thoughts on your considerations for the GT...

Whipple (screw-type) makes great products but the high boost of the Whipple (8-12 psi ) on the GT motor with no other mods is asking for trouble over time -- and your warranty is history. The Whipple pushes you near the limit of the bottom end of and unmodified aluminum GT motor (about 450HP) and, at 12psi on a regular basis, expect rod/journal failure at some point. If the blower fails (not!) within warranty Whipple will cover you, but the motor is the big risk. The Roush (rootes-type like on GT500), while also voiding the Ford warranty, is limited to 5psi max by the design of the kit for the GT. Roush does this to minimize the possibility of failure and their kit is designed for 370HP. With water intercooling, the Whipple is about $6400, the Roush about $5700. Saleen uses a high-boost design on the stage-3 (unlike Roush), but they use different rods and low-comp forged pistons specific to the operating design of the blower so that the higher boost should not be a problem (stage-3 Saleen GT also costs over $70K). You can expect to drive the Roush low-boost on an otherwise unmodified GT 4.6 for a long time... with the Whipple, I would not bet on long term bottom end durability. Just my opinion, Bryan, but I'd hate to see you get burned. You might want to ask the opinions of folks like Kaylan, Five Oh B, and Coldwaterhotrod, others whom, I gather from prior posts and discussion, have first hand modular/blower experience. Remember, the '03-'04 Terminators used Manley H-beam rods and different pistons (...and much more), so you can't think of the GT motor as being a similar base. Good luck and much fun with whatever you decide to do, my friend.

:happy feet:

OKAY RUFDRAFT---- I have been trying to come up with something that will fit your needs .

A SMART car red with white stripes floor shift, a.m radio , dice hanging from the mirror

& extra lettering on the back trunk lid to read " SMARTANG"

PLease before you go charging out to order check with your wife First she may want

Vista Blue / white stripes.

Just thought I could Help.

68 - I appreciate your thoughts. Sound reasoning.

The Roush would provide some extra hp to kick it up a notch while maintaining more long-term integrity.

001 - I'm not sure how to take your comments. You "sound" sarcastic? Are you implying I have to ask my wife before buying a car? If so, I don't think you understand my situation. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and presume you mean something else.

Or - maybe you're having a bad day.

68 - I appreciate your thoughts. Sound reasoning.

The Roush would provide some extra hp to kick it up a notch while maintaining more long-term integrity.

001 - I'm not sure how to take your comments. You "sound" sarcastic? Are you implying I have to ask my wife before buying a car? If so, I don't think you understand my situation. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and presume you mean something else.

Or - maybe you're having a bad day.

SORRY RUFDRAFT -- No intent at all or imply you have to ask your wife. Just trying to humor you a bit as you get so many posts of what you should buy. It must get confusing with so many options.

I disagree. I have a 2002 F150 FX4 Screw with a run of the mill 2v 5.4L engine. Truck now has 56000 miles on it and the last 33000 miles have been put on while running a ProCharger at 12PSI and I hit 15PSI REGULARLY when the temps get cold. I have no issues with my engine and I assure you she's been ridden hard. (smoked many a ricer with 'er :))

When I disconnect the blower belt, you can't hardly hear the engine run - it's still THAT quiet.

The engine will handle 8-10PSI with no problem. There will ALWAYS be anomalies! and there is no guarantee your engine won't blow up but too many people have run forced induction over 8PSI on the regular old plain jane 4.6L and 5.4L engines too long to say that it can't handle it.

The Whipple is superior in its efficiency. It generates less heat at say... 9PSI than a ProChager or a (H)Eaton blower does. The PCM yanks timing when it gets hot so the Whipple should allow more spark at the same boost levels. Just be sure you intercool it and seriously consider methanol injection. It works.

Roush is like Shelby... selling a name. It's an ok product but there are options that should be considered.

Honk! Honk! Yes, I believe it it is, Dave! :)

----------------------------------------------------------

RUF, some thoughts on your considerations for the GT...

Whipple (screw-type*) makes great products but the high boost of the Whipple (8-12 psi ) on the GT motor with no other mods is asking for trouble over time -- and your warranty is history. The Whipple pushes you near the limit of the bottom end of and unmodified aluminum GT motor (about 450HP) and, at 12psi on a regular basis, expect rod/journal failure at some point. If the blower fails (not!) within warranty Whipple will cover you, but the motor is the big risk. The Roush (rootes-type like on GT500), while also voiding the Ford warranty, is limited to 5psi max by the design of the kit for the GT. Roush does this to minimize the possibility of failure and their kit is designed for 370HP. With water intercooling, the Whipple is about $6400, the Roush about $5700. Saleen uses a high-boost design on the stage-3 (unlike Roush), but they use different rods and low-comp forged pistons specific to the operating design of the blower so that the higher boost should not be a problem (stage-3 Saleen GT also costs over $70K). You can expect to drive the Roush low-boost on an otherwise unmodified GT 4.6 for a long time... with the Whipple, I would not bet on long term bottom end durability. Just my opinion, Bryan, but I'd hate to see you get burned. You might want to ask the opinions of folks like Kaylan, Five Oh B, and Coldwaterhotrod, others whom, I gather from prior posts and discussion, have first hand modular/blower experience. Remember, the '03-'04 Terminators used Manley H-beam rods and different pistons (...and much more), so you can't think of the GT motor as being a similar base. Good luck and much fun with whatever you decide to do, my friend.

*my uderstanding is that Whipple and Lysolm are in litigation over Whipple's post-licensing screw design which Lysolm claims infringes their patents (I'm no expert, but I can't see how it does not, especially since they were a license holder (have prior design and production knowledge of the Lysolm technology) -- Whipple clearly disagrees claiming their design is fundamentally different, but I think not). I suspect Whipple got fed up with the license charges, which are steep, and decided to modify the design a bit and let Lysolm, a small Sweedish company (I believe) have at them. I think Whipple may regret their actions at some point (but, not our problem).

001 - Thanks - Glad to hear that!

No harm - no foul, my brother.

This blower debate is fascinating! And I appreciate all the responses.

Naturally, I'd like the most blower bang for the buck - but also want a daily driver dependability as I'm not a wrench (anymore!).

This seems to come down to a choice most of us have made in our younger days (or these days for our younger members!):

You're in a bar.

It's late.

There are 3 women sitting alone.

Which one do you approach?

#1 is dressed very conservatively - she may be an attorney or an accountant. Why choose her? Safe. Dependable. Good cook. Financial security.

#2 is wearing a skirt a little too short for her age. But - her hair is thick and flowing. She's laughing with the bartender. Her eyes hint of a little "excitement." She smiles that "smile" when you make eye contact. Why choose her? You probably won't get much sleep!

#3 is wearing very little. Mostly, you see curves. She's got a tattoo that trails off under her halter top...She's wearing those stacked heels. She's a little tipsy. Why choose her? Because LIFE IS SHORT! :happy feet:

I disagree. I have a 2002 F150 FX4 Screw with a run of the mill 2v 5.4L engine. Truck now has 56000 miles on it and the last 33000 miles have been put on while running a ProCharger at 12PSI and I hit 15PSI REGULARLY when the temps get cold. I have no issues with my engine and I assure you she's been ridden hard. (smoked many a ricer with 'er :))

When I disconnect the blower belt, you can't hardly hear the engine run - it's still THAT quiet.

The engine will handle 8-10PSI with no problem. There will ALWAYS be anomalies! and there is no guarantee your engine won't blow up but too many people have run forced induction over 8PSI on the regular old plain jane 4.6L and 5.4L engines too long to say that it can't handle it.

The Whipple is superior in its efficiency. It generates less heat at say... 9PSI than a ProChager or a (H)Eaton blower does. The PCM yanks timing when it gets hot so the Whipple should allow more spark at the same boost levels. Just be sure you intercool it and seriously consider methanol injection. It works.

Roush is like Shelby... selling a name. It's an ok product but there are options that should be considered.

I agree that the Whipple is an excellent product, but you can't compare the robustness of the 5.4 in your F150 with the 4.6 aluminum. The rods and rod journal are significantly beffier. Running a high boost hi volume blower on 4.6 aluminum motors have been known to blow head gaskets.

I'm not saying I don't like the Whipple (I do, and their engineering and testing is well regarded too), ...was just cautioning Bryan that at 425HP with the 4.6 alum GT motor you're getting close to where you are greatly increasing the possibility of having problems, especially if you ever plan to run fat sticky tires at the track.

BlueOval, isn't the ProCharger centrifugal? That would also be less of a problem sice it's high-end boost will be more like a roots. The Whipple screw-type is actually a little less aggressive than the Roush rootes-type in the midrange, but comes on much stronger at the high-end, which also goes to my concern on the 4.6 3V.

Just curious, Blue Oval, what's the tach redline on the 5.4 2v in the F150... I'm guessing 5000 or so? My 4.0 Ranger is 4860 due to the larger journals and attendant bearing-surface speed issues.

Okay - I need some advice.

Would anyone here hesitate to put on 19" rims as opposed to 18's for fear of bending a rim?

I think 19's would look better - I just don't want to worry about every set of train tracks I go over.

On the blower deal - apparently Ford Racing's 4.6 s/c is coming soon - and perhaps with a drivetrain warranty. End of discussion! :happy feet:

I'm not saying I don't like the Whipple (I do, and their engineering and testing is well regarded too), ...was just cautioning Bryan that at 425HP with the 4.6 alum GT motor you're getting close to where you are greatly increasing the possibility of having problems, especially if you ever plan to run fat sticky tires at the track.

areyou also including the 03 Terminators in with this statement ? I know many people that are pushing 650 horsies with Kenne Bell and Nitrous, and none of them to my knowledge have had any lower-end engine problems to date

Naturally, I'd like the most blower bang for the buck - but also want a daily driver dependability as I'm not a wrench (anymore!).

This seems to come down to a choice most of us have made in our younger days (or these days for our younger members!):

You're in a bar.

It's late.

#1 is dressed very conservatively - she may be an attorney or an accountant. Why choose her? Safe. Dependable. Good cook. Financial security.

#2 is wearing a skirt a little too short for her age. But - her hair is thick and flowing. She's laughing with the bartender. Her eyes hint of a little "excitement." She smiles that "smile" when you make eye contact. Why choose her? You probably won't get much sleep!

#3 is wearing very little. Mostly, you see curves. She's got a tattoo that trails off under her halter top...She's wearing those stacked heels. She's a little tipsy. Why choose her? Because LIFE IS SHORT! :happy feet:

The answer is easy.... Just choose the best blower! That is for your GT. :hysterical:

You're in a bar.

It's late.

take em ALL out for a test drive.

areyou also including the 03 Terminators in with this statement ? I know many people that are pushing 650 horsies with Kenne Bell and Nitrous, and none of them to my knowledge have had any lower-end engine problems to date

No. The terminators are iron blocks with Manley H-beam rods, enhanced oiling and more. The terminators are much beefier than the GT 3v aluminum.

Okay - I need some advice.

Would anyone here hesitate to put on 19" rims as opposed to 18's for fear of bending a rim?

I think 19's would look better - I just don't want to worry about every set of train tracks I go over.

On the blower deal - apparently Ford Racing's 4.6 s/c is coming soon - and perhaps with a drivetrain warranty. End of discussion! :happy feet:

Re 19"ers, I wouldn't worry about bending them, they're made to be wheels! -- that is unless you consider them shredding in the wheel well on hard-braking turns :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Seriously tho, if you go really large on the rims, you'll want more brake boost and even with 35-series tires, you'll want the 3.55 rear with 19s (if they fit) because you'll be back around 3.31 when you're done.

Or you could cut the fender wells, take two coils out, and put on 70-series 22"ers and see if you can crack 35mpg at 1,200rpm at 60mph :hysterical2: <i'm silly today, Bryan ;-)>

No problem, my brother!

When am I not silly?

I've had several students tell me they've cracked or bent 19's and 20's on pot holes and train tracks - less rubber to absorb the shock.

And - the diameter of the tire/rim is supposed to remain the same if you plus one or two - the only difference is how much tire between the rim and the road. No fender rubbing issues.

And - when Ford Racing folks come back off vacation, I'm going to ask about their blower - which is a Whipple according to the website. We'll see what state of tune they're going to offer. (btw, Whipple offers between 10 and 12 lbs)

I'm only looking to give the new Challengers and Camaros a good run. :shift:

I agree that the Whipple is an excellent product, but you can't compare the robustness of the 5.4 in your F150 with the 4.6 aluminum. The rods and rod journal are significantly beffier. Running a high boost hi volume blower on 4.6 aluminum motors have been known to blow head gaskets.

BlueOval, isn't the ProCharger centrifugal? That would also be less of a problem sice it's high-end boost will be more like a roots. The Whipple screw-type is actually a little less aggressive than the Roush rootes-type in the midrange, but comes on much stronger at the high-end, which also goes to my concern on the 4.6 3V.

Just curious, Blue Oval, what's the tach redline on the 5.4 2v in the F150... I'm guessing 5000 or so? My 4.0 Ranger is 4860 due to the larger journals and attendant bearing-surface speed issues.

Bryan the 19,s look awsome but i dont think they are practical . The sidewall cushon is very short and if you hit a pot hole you will bend the rims . I live in the NYC area the 19,s would never survive, if i remember correctly you live in NC your roads are much better so maybe you can get away with it. Good luck with your choice. And dont forget to post some pics of your new ride ya hear. :bandance:

Thanks, man. I used to drive big trucks in the City! (Hunt's Point Market!)

(for a long time) I know about the BQE - Van Wyck - Cross Bronx, etc!

I wouldn't even think about putting 19's on up there.

I had 19's on my 350 Z down here and didn't have any trouble - but I did worry every time I had to cross train tracks, etc!

"Not for nuthin'," here's a pic, gabeesh? :happy feet:

post-4913-1151728648_thumb.jpg

No problem, my brother!

When am I not silly?

I've had several students tell me they've cracked or bent 19's and 20's on pot holes and train tracks - less rubber to absorb the shock.

And - the diameter of the tire/rim is supposed to remain the same if you plus one or two - the only difference is how much tire between the rim and the road. No fender rubbing issues.

And - when Ford Racing folks come back off vacation, I'm going to ask about their blower - which is a Whipple according to the website. We'll see what state of tune they're going to offer. (btw, Whipple offers between 10 and 12 lbs)

I'm only looking to give the new Challengers and Camaros a good run. :shift:

Well, the reason they're bending them on potholes is because there is less rubber becasue they went to a lower-series profile. I don't know what series tires the GT ships with -- 50 or 55-series I suspect. If 55, you likely have enough room to go from 17" 55series to 19" 35series as long as the rims are not wider.

Remember, the series sizes are ratios, not absolute sizes; so the exact same series tire will most definately be taller if the rim is wider and the tire is correspondingly wider as well. For example, a 285/55 (on 10" wide 17" rim) would be taller than a 255/55 (on a 9" wide 17" rim) by a little over 1 inch. So to go to 19"ers, you'll need to not get wider rims tires and go to a smaller series profile (less rubber rim-road) to minimize the unavoidable tallness. If you went from 55series on the 17s to 35series on 19s you'd be close if the tires/rims are not wider (same numerical size). In which case it's just for looks, cause the tire patch hasn't improved at all. If you go considerably wider to improve the tire patch, and go to 19s there's no series-size small enough to prevent a sizeable increase in overall tire height, hence the effective ratio reduction. Got that? :)

Ha - ha - ha! No - I don't get that!

I 'preciate the info - but you've lost me.

Here are the rims I'm now ready to buy:

http://www.wheelmax.com/product.asp?ProdId...&Prod2P=259

And - they'll be 19x8.5 f and 19x9.5 rears.

Tires would be 255x40's f and 275x35's r.

This - according to the Tire Guru at Wheel Max.

At this point - they're going ON! :shift:

Archived