TEAM SHELBY FORUM

05/06 GT Modding

jlw

With the popularity of modding early Mustangs to look like Shelby’s, I was wondering if anyone has been contemplating the idea of taking their 05 or 06 GT and replacing the hood, front fascia, grill, and spoiler from the 07 GT500.

I have been allocated an 07 GT500; but if I had an 05/06 GT, I would find the idea rather tempting.

Which raises the question, do you think we may see quite a few clones running around?

With the popularity of modding early Mustangs to look like Shelby’s, I was wondering if anyone has been contemplating the idea of taking their 05 or 06 GT and replacing the hood, front fascia, grill, and spoiler from the 07 GT500.

I have been allocated an 07 GT500; but if I had an 05/06 GT, I would find the idea rather tempting.

Which raises the question, do you think we may see quite a few clones running around?

I spoke to a dealer about the fact that he was willing to allocate me a GT500 for $10K over invoice (sure! let sign in blood on that one), and I decided against it because I could buy two GTs for that kind of money. I also had talked to a previous Cobra owner who seemed to have buyer's remorse once he realized that he could have just put about $7-10K in mods to get to the Cobra performance level.

To me, the only reason to spend $57K on a Cobra is if you are sure that the Shelby name will cause the car to hold its value. Or, if you just intend to own the fastest car on the road, and you don't care how much you spend to get it.

I might not modify the appearance of my Grabba Grabba (hey!) GT to make it look like a Cobra because I am not into that kind of deception, but I do like those little snakes..I will at least attempt to get within striking distance..

To me, the only reason to spend $57K on a Cobra is if you are sure that the Shelby name will cause the car to hold its value. Or, if you just intend to own the fastest car on the road, and you don't care how much you spend to get it.

I'm buying the car for msrp (live in Canada) but was asking the question out of curiosity.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest evilchris

I'd rather clone the GT-H. The grille and hood are way cooler than the GT500's. You can get the hood from Shelby and the grille from Cervini.

I was actually on a wait list for one at $5000 over MSRP and decided to go with an 07 GT at invoice. I plan on personalizing the GT with some GT500 stuff, mainly the rear bumper and spoiler. The front will get the Cervini treatment (hood, grille and bumper) along with BlowByRacings side scoops. Im hoping I can use the optional lightweight wheels for the Ford GT on the car.

Originally I thought of cloning the GT500, but Im like some of the others....not really into cloning.

although clones can sometimes look well done, a true enthusiast appreciates the original and would never do this to make a GT500 (like) vehicle out of a standard Mustang GT. That would be blasphemous

although clones can sometimes look well done, a true enthusiast appreciates the original and would never do this to make a GT500 (like) vehicle out of a standard Mustang GT. That would be blasphemous

blasphemous only if you b elieve in the shelby bs

That would be blasphemous

But I like to blaspheme!

I would like to replace the nose of the Mustang GT with the nose of a Shelby GT500. In my opinion, the nose is much sportier than the stock GT's. But I would never affix snakes to the fenders or try to pass the car off as a Shelby. I would also hold onto the original components so the car could be returned to it's stock appearance should I change my mind or put it up for sale.

Intention is the issue. Misrepresenting your car as something it is not is one thing, but I see no harm in modifying your car to your liking. So long as it doesn't break the bank!

I'm just about sold on the Shelby spoiler - and while I like the Hertz hood - I'm not sure I want to lay out $1k for one (painted). I like the Hertz grille - but I'll wait and see how the front end looks with the 10" silver stripes before buying that.

Guest evilchris

I'm just about sold on the Shelby spoiler - and while I like the Hertz hood - I'm not sure I want to lay out $1k for one (painted). I like the Hertz grille - but I'll wait and see how the front end looks with the 10" silver stripes before buying that.

Get Grill from Cervini.

I think it would be fine to use all of the GT500's body parts, just no Cobra emblems or GT500 badging.

Archived