TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 Garage Styling

zhb353

Looks like a good product.

I am finishing my garage with drywall, Trex baseboards, paint, and flexible track

lighting. I have a big stainless steel tool chest, that I will be putting my Shelby

GT500 emblems on to make it a Shelby tool chest. I will also be laminating, and

framing my Shelby posters, and concept and production Hero Cards.

Should look awsome!!!

KingCobra.

Just wondering if anyone was planning garage floor coating of any type of garage styling. I would like my GT500 to have a good home when its not out on the road!

I have heard this company offers a good quality, customizable garage floor coating system.

http://www.originalcolorchips.com/

I painted my garage floor with an epoxy paint, and I'm very satisfied with the results. I bought the kit at Lowes...can't recall the brand. It's been on 7 years. The only way the epoxy comes off is via chipping. If you drop a hammer and it chips the concrete...no color below. My floor was one with a rough finish prior to painting, but if you are doing a smooth floor, I'd recommend some texturing sand to improve safety...the stuff is very slick when wet.

Another point. Look at the application process. For mine, I had to sweep the floor, wet mop with soap, then acid etch, then rinse, then paint, then a 2nd coat. I have an 1100 square foot garage (yes, it easily holds 4 cars with extra room for workbenches), so this was a 2 day job with my wife helping. My kit came with 2 gallon cans, each half full (one is the paint, one is a catalyst), that covered about 250-300 sq. feet. Therefore, I had to buy about 5 kits. Each kit was about $50....for a total of about $250. Add in some paint rollers, drop cloths, mineral spirits, acid etching materials, and so on...and it cost me about $400 + 30 person*hours of labor.

The key for garages is that you need something that prevents "tire pickup", which is the tendency for rubber to stick to the floor when you park the car. They all do it to some extent, but the better the product, the easier this will wipe off.

Good luck.

I absolutely swear by the mats offered at http://www.jnkproducts.com/floor_protection.

Several reasons:

1) Portable. When I moved houses, I simply rolled it up and took it with me.

2) No garage floor preparation: Just unroll it and forget it.

3) Cuts easy with a utility knife to tailor it to your floor.

4) Impermeable to moisture.

5) Much less expensive than the tiled systems like RaceDeck.

I ordered three 10'X22' rolls and had it delivered at my doorstep. You can choose from several colors and sizes. Took me all of 1 hour to roll it out and trim it to my garage. Some people like the idea of taking the mat outside and hosing it off which could be useful if your daily drivers collect road salt/dirt during the winters. I don't move them-- I just mop it.

Here are a couple of pictures of my favorite room in the house. And yes, that's my sitting area where I read my monthly mustang magazines. I also built the cabinets myself.

Looks like a good product 69, but the link didn't work for me.

What did a 10x22' roll go for when you ordered it???

KingCobra.

Interesting, the link works when I click on it. Do you have a pop-up blocker on? If so, try holding the CTRL button down, then click on it (this will temporarily disable most pop-up blockers). Or just paste www.jnkproducts.com into your address bar and follow the links to garage flooring. Sorry, apparently I'm not an expert at putting hyperlinks into this forum.

I got them about 3 years ago and they were on sale ($475 for one, I think). Now they are $550 (10'X22'). Most garages aren't 22' long, but I ordered the longer roll 'cause I had plans for the extra in my basement.

I absolutely swear by the mats offered at http://www.jnkproducts.com/floor_protection.

Several reasons:

I ordered three 10'X22' rolls and had it delivered at my doorstep. You can choose from several colors and sizes. Took me all of 1 hour to roll it out and trim it to my garage. Some people like the idea of taking the mat outside and hosing it off which could be useful if your daily drivers collect road salt/dirt during the winters. I don't move them-- I just mop it.

Here are a couple of pictures of my favorite room in the house. And yes, that's my sitting area where I read my month mustang magazines. I also built the cabinets myself.

How does it stand up to jack stands on it, with 3400 pounds of car on the jack stands?

How does it stand up to jack stands on it, with 3400 pounds of car on the jack stands?

I stored my car on stands last winter. When I took that car off the stands, there was a "dent" in the mat, but it has pretty much gone away now. I suppose if you looked hard enough you might be able to still see a slight mark. It didn't crack it.

I stored my car on stands last winter. When I took that car off the stands, there was a "dent" in the mat, but it has pretty much gone away now. I suppose if you looked hard enough you might be able to still see a slight mark. It didn't crack it.

Nice, I may have to try that when I need a new floor then. I do a LOT of work in my garage, so this is a must.

Several reasons:

Here are a couple of pictures of my favorite room in the house. And yes, that's my sitting area where I read my month mustang magazines. I also built the cabinets myself.

Great shots and thanks for the link! Ths stuff for $2.89 /sq ft looks good too!

Oh my gosh! Please don't give me any ideas.

My Shelby is destine to be a garage queen and I already feel like I'm neglecting it with a bare concrete floor in an insulated garage. The worst part, I haven't got the Shelby yet.

If you have a garage queen on a concrete floor just be aware that concrete allows moisture to wick to the surface from below. This moisture can still lead to oxidation of the metal (rust). Obviously this is a slower process than if the metal was actually wet, but does happen. Epoxy coating or a mat can help prevent that.

I thought about tiles as well but didn't like the idea of having so many seams. I don't know how tight the seams are in a tiled system, but the less the better IMO. My daily drivers are also parked in this garage. I could imagine seams would be great places for dirt, road salt, and water to get trapped. Also less opportunity for moisture to come from below as I mentioned above. For a three car garage, the cost difference between the tiled system and the full mats was negligible.

69Deluxe, that is one sweet garage you have there... nice little cart too ;-)

Thanks. The cart was fun but had no suspension so I'm actually building my own full suspensioned cart and cannibalizing parts from that one. I watch too much Monster Garage... Told wifey the cart was for my son. Since he's only 3 years old, she didn't buy it.

If you have a garage queen on a concrete floor just be aware that concrete allows moisture to wick to the surface from below. This moisture can still lead to oxidation of the metal (rust). Obviously this is a slower process than if the metal was actually wet, but does happen. Epoxy coating or a mat can help prevent that.

I thought about tiles as well but didn't like the idea of having so many seams. I don't know how tight the seams are in a tiled system, but the less the better IMO. My daily drivers are also parked in this garage. I could imagine seams would be great places for dirt, road salt, and water to get trapped. Also less opportunity for moisture to come from below as I mentioned above. For a three car garage, the cost difference between the tiled system and the full mats was negligible.

Thanks. The cart was fun but had no suspension so I'm actually building my own full suspensioned cart and cannibalizing parts from that one. I watch too much Monster Garage... Told wifey the cart was for my son. Since he's only 3 years old, she didn't buy it.

WHOH!!!

I have a 24x22' garage.

That would cost me $1526 plus delivery!!!

I like the product, but I think I'll stick to epoxy paint.

KingCobra.

A much less costly way to go is tile .....I have a 4 car garage and tiled it for under $1000.

Commercial grade , Class 5 porcelin tile... 8 years with no problems.... Looks fantastic. :happy feet:

Porcelin is an excellent choice! But you must have tiled it yourself...where I live the labor alone would have been at least $2000 for a 4-car garage.

Let's see some more garage pics, people!!

Porcelin is an excellent choice! But you must have tiled it yourself...where I live the labor alone would have been at least $2000 for a 4-car garage.

Yeah, you are right! It took a week and much work ,but well worth the effort!

I am a woodworker hobbyist also...so I've made my cabinets/shelves and so on as well. Yes I even made the paper towel holder lol. I included a few pics of my woodshop also.

Now it might be a bit difficult to see, but that blue refrigerator says "cold beer" on it...and it contains a working keg at all times. :party:

I have about 8 flourescent light fixtures in the ceiling, a drop down retractable cord, a 60 gallon air compressor with outlets in two parts of the garage as well as one running through the walls to my woodshop in the basement, a utility sink, and a water spigot that has water which goes through the water softener so I can wash cars in the garage in the winter with softened water. The garage is approximately 1150 square feet. The double door is an extra wide 12 foot door (standard door is 10' wide), and the single door is an extra wide 9' door (standard door is 8' wide). As you can see...the single door bay is double deep. The truck is keeping a spot warm for the Shelby...it will be sold A.A. (After Arrival). :shift:

The one thing I don't have in the garage is a TV....although I do have a satellite wiring jack if I ever wanted to install one. :hysterical:

I designed the house and we had it built in 1999.

Dave

post-3382-1150841893_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150841905_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150842052_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150842855_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150842890_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150842905_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150842927_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150842993_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150843016_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150843040_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150843054_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150843081_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150843827_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150843849_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150843912_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150844145_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150841893_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150841905_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150842052_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150842855_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150842890_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150842905_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150842927_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150842993_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150843016_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150843040_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150843054_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150843081_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150843827_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150843849_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150843912_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1150844145_thumb.jpg

Dave, very nice! :baby:

Did you mean "I designed the house around the garage and we had it built in 1999."

Also looks like your puppy knows where to find some spillage. :hysterical:

I do get that comment often. Garage = 1,150 sq. feet, house = 2,750...so it's about 40% the size of the house. Here's how I explained it to my wife.....it's the cheapest square footage you can buy! :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

P.S. Yes, our dog's name is Sofi (she got her name from the fact that she was a gift to me for graduating top in my MBA Finance cohort...I got her by Studying Options, Finance, and International business. :happy feet: . She's 17 pounds of trouble...lol.

Dave

I am a woodworker hobbyist also...so I've made my cabinets/shelves and so on as well. Yes I even made the paper towel holder lol. I included a few pics of my woodshop also.

Now it might be a bit difficult to see, but that blue refrigerator says "cold beer" on it...and it contains a working keg at all times. :party:

I have about 8 flourescent light fixtures in the ceiling, a drop down retractable cord, a 60 gallon air compressor with outlets in two parts of the garage as well as one running through the walls to my woodshop in the basement, a utility sink, and a water spigot that has water which goes through the water softener so I can wash cars in the garage in the winter with softened water. The garage is approximately 1150 square feet. The double door is an extra wide 12 foot door (standard door is 10' wide), and the single door is an extra wide 9' door (standard door is 8' wide). As you can see...the single door bay is double deep. The truck is keeping a spot warm for the Shelby...it will be sold A.A. (After Arrival). :shift:

The one thing I don't have in the garage is a TV....although I do have a satellite wiring jack if I ever wanted to install one. :hysterical:

Dave

Nice Garage and shop!

I am planning my wood workshop in the basement in a year or so.

Here are a couple pics of my garage...This would have been my dream bedroom as a teenager.

I also have a kegmeister with Bud Select on tap at all times. :party:

The '03 Harley F150 is gone now and the spot is ready for the GT500. :shift:

There are more Neons and posters up now than when the pics were taken back in March.

Chris

post-4504-1150859434_thumb.jpgpost-4504-1150859469_thumb.jpgpost-4504-1150859501_thumb.jpg

post-4504-1150859434_thumb.jpg

post-4504-1150859469_thumb.jpg

post-4504-1150859501_thumb.jpg

Told wifey the cart was for my son. Since he's only 3 years old, she didn't buy it.

Well, you have to be ready, just in case he grows quickly :) and it could take, what, years to get it right, so it makes perfect sense to me to start right now ;-) :shift:

Dave

Your gararge is really awsome its bigger than my whole fre :censored: ing house (lol) :hysterical:

Here's the state mine is at

The lift is sweet. I almost built a "pit" in my garage, but the cost was too high.

Here are a couple pics of my garage...This would have been my dream bedroom as a teenager.

post-4504-1150859434_thumb.jpgpost-4504-1150859469_thumb.jpgpost-4504-1150859501_thumb.jpg

Hmmmm...Mike's Lemonade, beer, and propane.....sounds like you better have lots of insurance. :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

QUOTE(Jesse_Bolt @ Jun 20 2006, 12:06 AM)

Oh my gosh! Please don't give me any ideas.

My Shelby is destine to be a garage queen and I already feel like I'm neglecting it with a bare concrete floor in an insulated garage. The worst part, I haven't got the Shelby yet.

I have a three car garage. ¿Would a mat where I park my Shelby be suffice towards preventing oxidation? Or ¿is the better suggestion to cover the entire garage floor?

JB

I have a three car garage. ¿Would a mat where I park my Shelby be suffice towards preventing oxidation? Or ¿is the better suggestion to cover the entire garage floor?

JB

JB, another alternative is to use a concrete sealer. Home Depot sells a clear (goes on milky dries clear) sealer that works very well (if you open a gallon an it has large 'clots' in it, it was exposed to freezing in storage and should be returned). If you want to test if there's any water vapor coming through your concrete slab (or walls), try the following test (I consult in residential construction and this a widely used test), preferably when conditions outside are the wettest for the season, but most anytime will suffice:

-cut several squares of aluminum foil (the width of the roll is fine) and tape them down to the floor with any tape that will easily peel back up. Alternatively, you can use Saran wrap (not thin off-brand wraps) or a couple of old rubber flor mats, but auminum foil work best.

-wait 24 hours.

-remove the foil squares and immediately take note of the bottom side of the foil.

-if there is a 'fog' or small beads of moisture on the bottom of the foil (the side that was in contact with the concrete) there is water vapor coming through the concrete and it should be sealed.

I've used the Home Depot concrete sealer (which, by the way, can also be used over fresh concrete that's cured for at least 8 hours or so -- check the directions if you're pouring a fresh slab) and one libeal coat will pass the above test if aplied properly. You can also paint directly over the sealer, if you like, with any good 'garage floor' paint, but the sealer works much better than paint alone. Of course, the sealer can be covered with any of the roll-floorings discussed above and, if an adhesive is used, it will stay put much longer if applied to a sealed floor.

I should mention that, although poured concrete is water proof -- they make huge barges out of concrete -- it is not water vapor proof and all unsealed concrete exposed to moisture underneath it will transmit that moisture as vapor through the slab and will raise the moisture level in the garage enough that when the temperature drops it will cause micro-condensation on any dense material (like metal) in the garage and will cause oxide-hazing (sometimes called 'dust rust') on untreated metals. That's why sealing is always good idea.

Good luck all with your garage projects!!!

Archived