TEAM SHELBY FORUM

'68 GT500KR; GT40 prototype; CS Cobras; and more...

That new TDC show Million Dollar Auctions featured some amazing cars from the Monterey Auction.

-- A '68 GT500KR (428CID) went for $122,000 (red w/white). Could you imagine what a CS '67 or an original GT350R would go for?

-- The very rare and very cherry '67 Fuel Injected (Rochester) 283cid/283HP 'vette went for $120,000

-- Sweet Lotus Elise Turbo went for $50,000

-- '74 Ferrari Datona 365 GTB (I drove one in 1978 for about 40 minutes) set a new high-water mark for the marque at $186,000

-- '59 Ferrari GT-250 Tour de France Berlinetta (one of only 70-something made over 4-years) suprised everyone at $1,325,000!

-- '64 Ford GT40 #GT103 (289cid/380hp, w/ball-o-snakes engine) the factory prototype driven by Carroll Shelby that won at Daytona went for a staggering $2,275,000!!! -- highest ever for the marque. Bid was won by the owner of the Shelby American museum owner in Boulder Co.

-- '64 CS Cobra 289 road-racer (not the fabled Cobra Dragonsnake drag racer) went for $410,000!!! (also to Shelby American museum owner) -- could you imagine what one of the original 427-side oiler road-racers would go for today???

-- A '63 CS Cobra (basic 289 with chrome trunk rack!) found in a barn and restored went for $345,000

-- And a well-raced Aston Martin D84 GT Zagato (original alum body but repainted) and mechanically perfect and spotless was bid up over $2million but didn't meet the reserve!!!

Can't remember any others right now, but show will probably rerun on TDC sometime soon.

Cheerzzz

PS -- a beautiful pearl-green late-'30s mongrel Mercury custom roadstrer (with modern Ford drivetrain), which I saw when it first showed at the Ford encampment at the SEMA show last year, went for a respectable $147,500 -- a stunning one-of-a-kind custom!

I find these shows depressing. Those cars have always been my dream car. Now that I am getting to the point that I could have afforded them, the price is now rising out of reach again.

I find these shows depressing. Those cars have always been my dream car. Now that I am getting to the point that I could have afforded them, the price is now rising out of reach again.

I actually didn't watch it when it was first on 'cause it IS depressing to see, since most of the folks who buy 'em will put 'em 'under glass' but then It was being rerun a few hours later while I was reading in here and I got hooked.... especially when the GT40 came out -- that 'ball-o-snakes' 289 is awesome! Intake on the sides of the heads and all eight equal-length exhaust tubes intertwined on top exiting into two collectors... sweet!

Archived