TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Better get Moving the Challenger is coming

At a car show last weekend a man told me that Chrysler will be taking orders in

90 days for the new Dodge Challenger for 2008. I was told they are not limited

production and most dealers would get 12 or more cars.

Ford most of us who order the GT500 still don't even know if we are getting one?????????

Amen to that.

Are you listening Ford?

I have a deposit down, a car ordered and no price from my Dealer yet!

Dealer is waiting till they hit the streets to see what the other Dealers will do as far as price.

Dont know if I'm getting one, but at this point with the Dealer Mark-Up,

I have given up on a early Shelby - Even though I ordered it, and will be built the 19th.

There is No way the Dealer will give it to me at MSRP!

So I will catch one at the end of the year or check out the competition!

Either way I will be doing a big burnout in front of My Ford Dealers door at some point.

In something!

I predict this thread will be very - very popluar!

Let The Muscle Car Wars Begin! :happy feet:

It's interesting that DCX suits are still denying the decision has been made while vendors are already getting RFPs ;-) I think it's definately gonna be made, but I would not hold your breath on real order taking -- think GT500 last November!

More competition will be good for selling at MSRP. Bring the Camaro too.

:bandance: I wonder how much over MSRP :hysterical: Chrysler :shift: and GM :titanic: are going to buy their Shelby for, the one they use to study ,:grouphug: :party2: in their engineering :ninja: departments? :hysterical2: :tease: :grouphug:

At a car show last weekend a man told me that Chrysler will be taking orders in

90 days for the new Dodge Challenger for 2008. I was told they are not limited

production and most dealers would get 12 or more cars.

Ford most of us who order the GT500 still don't even know if we are getting one?????????

I spoke with a close friend who has a Dodge dealership and he still hasn't heard anything for sure on the Challenger, I asked him if he found out if they were going to be avalible if I could be one of the first on the list. I also asked if he would try for anything over M.S.R.P. and he said no...he is a friend but who knows once greed sets in.

I really want a Shelby since I have 4 vintage Hemi's and used to own some Cobra Jets but if Ford doesn't get their act together....I am on some dealer lists.....The Challenger may be my option....well I guess I will have to wait and see like many others!!!!

Congrats to all who were able to order without the price gouge.

It's also not clear to me whether these are actually intended as durable marques or just feeling out the market with specialty rides for a couple of years. If GM does the camaro as a V6 and a (Z28) V8, they're in it for the duration, but I suspect the Challenger might be a hemi-only car to test the watters. It will be interesting to see what chassis both are built on -- that will be the key to determining their longer term intentions, I think. I hope both are in it for the long haul if for no other reason than to stimulate competition and keep the dealer mark-ups(-downs?;-) in line.

There was a quick blurb in our local paper Auto Section today:

"Daimler - Chrysler engineer Hoel Dat-thang said today that the final details were being worked out, but D-C's intention was to 'build as many as people will buy'. The car will feature a Hemi engine with a twin screw supercharger putting down at least 475 Hp through a four speed transmission. When asked about the four speed and whether it was a return to simpler times, HDT said 'Absolutely. Fewer gears means less cost and weight - two important benchmarks for our car.' HDT also indicated the car would come standard with IRS, though a standard 'stick axle' would be available later at extra cost as a dealer-installled option. 'Real men can drive any car - even IRS. Why should we cater to those who just can't drive?' he said. He went on to say the car would have the same feel and quality that made Chrysler products from the sixties and seventies so affordable, but with better paint. 'D-C will eschew foo-foo features that add cost and weight but no performance value. No power windows or door locks, the rear seat will actually be styrofoam, vinyl floor mats in place of carpets, pushbutton AM radio with a Thumper 12 audio system, no spare tire, and balloons instead of airbags.' An optional gauge pack will be available with a speedometer and gas gauge. We asked about pricing, estimated weight, and availability and HDT said 'Don't quote me yet, but probably under $40K for the coupe, $45K for the convertible. Weight should come in at just under 3900 Lbs for the coupe. They could be on the streets as soon as next Thursday, but I think, to be conservative, you shouldn't expect them before July 5th. We expect to ramp up to 20,000 a month by August.' Finally we asked him what car or cars did he see as his competition, and what feeling did he want drivers of the car to have as they step out of the car after the first drive. 'This car is aimed squarely at Baby Boomers with fat wallets who remember the Mopars from the sixities and seventies, but whose memory is fortunately limited by time and too many rock concerts back then. 'We want them to know Chrysler is so back.' said HDT."

Whew! With all that weight-saving I thought it would be 3300lbs! ;-)

Well, they may be playing coy, i.e. will be more than 475HP, lighter than 3900 -- who knows....

And, yeah, 20,000 blown Hemi's /month -- right... nice marketing words tho ;-)

Still, sounds formidable and they know the benchmark is the GT500 very clearly (reagrdless of wht they may or may not say)

Will be fun times!!

"Daimler - Chrysler engineer Hoel Dat-thang said today that the final details were being worked out, but D-C's intention was to 'build as many as people will buy'. The car will feature a Hemi engine with a twin screw supercharger putting down at least 475 Hp through a four speed transmission. When asked about the four speed and whether it was a return to simpler times, HDT said 'Absolutely. Fewer gears means less cost and weight - two important benchmarks for our car.' HDT also indicated the car would come standard with IRS, though a standard 'stick axle' would be available later at extra cost as a dealer-installled option. 'Real men can drive any car - even IRS. Why should we cater to those who just can't drive?' he said. He went on to say the car would have the same feel and quality that made Chrysler products from the sixties and seventies so affordable, but with better paint. 'D-C will eschew foo-foo features that add cost and weight but no performance value. No power windows or door locks, the rear seat will actually be styrofoam, vinyl floor mats in place of carpets, pushbutton AM radio with a Thumper 12 audio system, no spare tire, and balloons instead of airbags.' An optional gauge pack will be available with a speedometer and gas gauge. We asked about pricing, estimated weight, and availability and HDT said 'Don't quote me yet, but probably under $40K for the coupe, $45K for the convertible. Weight should come in at just under 3900 Lbs for the coupe. They could be on the streets as soon as next Thursday, but I think, to be conservative, you shouldn't expect them before July 5th. We expect to ramp up to 20,000 a month by August.' Finally we asked him what car or cars did he see as his competition, and what feeling did he want drivers of the car to have as they step out of the car after the first drive. 'This car is aimed squarely at Baby Boomers with fat wallets who remember the Mopars from the sixities and seventies, but whose memory is fortunately limited by time and too many rock concerts back then. 'We want them to know Chrysler is so back.' said HDT."

I hope someone up the ladder at Ford reads this maybe the old light bulb from years back will

GO ON. Did someone mention 20,000 units by August ??? I guess Shelby`s take alot longer to build.

Come on FORD lets get to work before more customers go South.

HOW MANY OUT THERE CAN SAY "H E M I"

Aw jeez guys, not again. Just looking for a few chuckles. Kidding, I was only kidding. Set Humor Condition One, fore and aft.

It was my way of saying that you should compare what DC is 'saying' now with what HTT was saying over a year ago. We all know how that turned out. Also, anyone who read the Autoweek article (came in the mail yesterday) sees the Camaro prominently displayed. It's VAPORWARE! The car has no functioning gauges. The test drive was limited to less than 25MPH so the wheels on the show car wouldn't disintegrate. Musta been some plastic look-good fake mags. Good luck with the production version. Especially if you expect it soon. Or cheap. Or with good paint. Well, maybe good paint.

The test drive was limited to less than 25MPH so the wheels on the show car wouldn't disintegrate.

I'll have to check when I get home, but I recall the speed was limited to 40 mph.

While I was reading the article, I kept thinking, "Sure, compare the production GT500 to both concepts. Yeah, that's a fair comparison."

I like Autoweek. Have read it for years. However, the whole premise of the article was lost on me. They should compare apples to apples. I do understand, though, that they wanted to have something that related to the overwhelming interest in the GT500.

Much like the concept GT500 vs the production version, the concept Camaro and concept Challenger will be somewhat different than (if they make it that far) the production versions.

The placement of the cars on the cover is amusing, too.

The only one of the three that's IN production is in the background.

Wonder how many "staffers" are driving "test" C6's around! :hysterical:

[/quoteBring on the Challenger and the Camaro I'm ready to take them on!

As the famous line goes from the movie about disco called "Thank God It's Friday"......

"You bet your sweet a** you're kidding"... :hysterical2:

If this car will be made with the same "feel" as those from the '60s....they'd have to offer it with the "sure to be popular" RPO F49 "rust delete" option. :hysterical:

What a gas. :bandance:

I gotta fess up. It was the Challenger that had the styrofoam wheels, or whatever they are made of. Orf- The article said "We didn't get near 174 MPH on our drive. In fact, with the show(!!!) wheels on during our ride, we fell about 149 MPH short (ergo 25 MPH) of the cars registered potential. That was at the request of the Chrysler personnel on hand, since the show wheels would probably disntegrate at anything approaching normal, legal highway speed." So, there you have it Orf, you total moron. What's wrong with you anyway? Want to step outsi . .. . OOps, just realized I'm not on SVTPerformance.

So, Orf, I see your confusion. Perhaps you were thinking 40 Kilometers per hour which is about 25 MPH. See, we're both right.

But, I agree - what's the point of comparing mock-ups with a real car? And putting the ugliest one in the center of the cover? Why not do a shootout? Wonder what the slalom speed for the Challenger was - 25.26 MPH?

OK, OK. I'll leave it alone.

Aw jeez guys, not again. Just looking for a few chuckles. Kidding, I was only kidding. Set Humor Condition One, fore and aft.

It was my way of saying that you should compare what DC is 'saying' now with what HTT was saying over a year ago. We all know how that turned out. Also, anyone who read the Autoweek article (came in the mail yesterday) sees the Camaro prominently displayed. It's VAPORWARE! The car has no functioning gauges. The test drive was limited to less than 25MPH so the wheels on the show car wouldn't disintegrate. Musta been some plastic look-good fake mags. Good luck with the production version. Especially if you expect it soon. Or cheap. Or with good paint. Well, maybe good paint.

I have just one word for you Three Cobras: NOOGIES! :poke: <-- as close as I could find ;-)

I gotta fess up. It was the Challenger that had the styrofoam wheels, or whatever they are made of. Orf- The article said "We didn't get near 174 MPH on our drive. In fact, with the show(!!!) wheels on during our ride, we fell about 149 MPH short (ergo 25 MPH) of the cars registered potential. That was at the request of the Chrysler personnel on hand, since the show wheels would probably disntegrate at anything approaching normal, legal highway speed." So, there you have it Orf, you total moron. What's wrong with you anyway? Want to step outsi . .. . OOps, just realized I'm not on SVTPerformance.

So, Orf, I see your confusion. Perhaps you were thinking 40 Kilometers per hour which is about 25 MPH. See, we're both right.

But, I agree - what's the point of comparing mock-ups with a real car? And putting the ugliest one in the center of the cover? Why not do a shootout? Wonder what the slalom speed for the Challenger was - 25.26 MPH?

OK, OK. I'll leave it alone.

I found my error. I was recalling the Camaro article. They were limited to 40 mph in that.

Honest mistake.

I wasn't counting them!

I've got a laptop on my Husqvarna tractor! (just got her - 20hp Kohler - 42" - great machine) :happy feet: ('course I like Volvos, too! - Wifey has a V50 - and I had an '04 V70 - I had a 544 when I was just a wee lad)

I don't watch much TV - I drop in now and then and have some fun! :shift:

Something else - notice the ratio of views to posts - somewhere between 5 & 10%. A lot - a lot - of members are just viewers, not posters - like we are! :bandance: :bandance:

Sheesh - give Orf a break.

Do you see me correcting anyone's grammar or writing issues? :baby:

Iam glad!!! I butcher the English language when it comes to grammer and spelling :sos: . But, I know what I want to say, :soapbox: hopefully it makes sense. :banana piano:

"its all Greek to me" :tease: :hysterical2:

Sheesh - give Orf a break.

Do you see me correcting anyone's grammar or writing issues? :baby:

.Oh, please, nooo, nooo Prof!

My sentences are painfully beyond structure-impared! :sos:

...know what I mean ;-)

we beg you...

Rufdraft, where do you get the time to have so many posts in one month? Are your hands grown to the keyboard?

hmm... I think he has many, many fingers and each is super-glued to a dedicated key (including new forum topic key ;-) ...makes mornings shaving in the bathroom difficult but it works out ok when you need to order more shaving cream online.

Brian, you know, I've been noticing on the joke thread (that you sucked us into and have caused me to be reading sometimes at 12:30 a.m.) that you don't post any jokes! What gives.. I can tell you're not humor-impared ;-)

Sheesh, I think I'm gonna start doing one-liners over there...

:elefant: <--always wanted to use this one, just never find a reason

hmm... I think he has many, many fingers and each is super-glued to a dedicated key (including new forum topic key ;-) ...makes mornings shaving in the bathroom difficult but it works out ok when you need to order more shaving cream online.

Brian, you know, I've been noticing on the joke thread (that you sucked us into and have caused me to be reading sometimes at 12:30 a.m.) that you don't post any jokes! What gives.. I can tell you're not humor-impared ;-)

Sheesh, I think I'm gonna start doing one-liners over there...

:elefant: <--always wanted to use this one, just never find a reason

Actually I must confess...I started the joke thread. :P . However, I DO post jokes there...I'll post another tonight.

Dave :hysterical::lol:

Archived