TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Camaro vs Shelby GT500 vs. Challenger

jason0156

We all know the camaro will be out in the near future. My buddy at the car club brought up a good point.(he is a chevy guy) Won't Chevy put the 7.0 Liter 505-hp engine ZO6 engine in an SS model to compete with the Shelby GT500. Because we all Know the 6.0 lLiter engine in the base camaro doesn't stand a chance against athe Gt 500 modular motor. As for Mopar you know that they might put the Viper V-10 in the Challenger to make it be Competitive, Because the 6.1 Liter Hemi doesn't have enough power to compete with the Shelby either. Just imagine the future if this happens. :bandance: :shift:

Just my 2 cents

Soon a draft in the U.S., Muscle Car Wars once again between.

Chevy, Ford, and Dodge. I am glad to take part in this war. I have chosen my weapon. The GT500 Shelby. Might have been a different choice if the Camaro and the Challenger was availible at the time as the GT500. And the same for many others I might say after all of the high ADM's Ford customers have been subjected to.

As for Chevy, as mentioned in Motor Trend Mag. "The Camaro will be offered with the same power plant as the Z06 as well as other versions with the 6.2 liter 403 hp motor". Chevy has already gave the convertible Camaro the go. And it is obvious the Camaro will be lighter than the Challenger and the GT500.

And as for the Challenger, it has been shown with a 425hp SRT8 Hemi. But Dodge will most likely offer two motors for the Challenger as the did in the past and the motor is already availible.

I can't see Dodge and Chevy building a car for the Muscle Car Wars and not give enough hp to compete with the GT500.

And as for comparison. The Vette isn't even in the same class as a GT500. But the Camaro and the Challenger will be. Ford just beat Chevy and Dodge to the punch. But after all of the high ADM's, Ford has lost alot of customers because of the high ADM's and people have already placed deposits and on list for both the Camaro and the Challenger.

If I wouldn't have snagged a MSRP deal on the GT500, the Camaro was next on my list, for my choices were:

1st GT500

2nd Camaro

3rd Challenger

And anyone can bet that the top speeds for the Camaro and the Challenger will be faster than the GT500 of the showrrom. Heck, the Camaro shold be a really quick and fast car with having the Corvettes technology.

A Camaro still may find it's way in my garage next to my GT500.

Again I reiterate how important the weight will be. The camaro is to be built off of a 4000lb austrailian chassis. The target weight is 3600 lbs with the vert 200 lb's more. If they do go with the 400 hp motor they will be a little short. If they do slap the ls7 in an ss then it will be real close. Hopefully they don't overprice themselves. Both my father and I (who is a die hard chevy fan and works for chevy) do not like the concept at all. One of my favorite camaro models is the 69 but I aesthetically its going to be either a love or hate it.

The challenger everyone loves. I believe its going to come in shy of the 4100 lb srt-8 charger at around 3800-3900 pounds so again it will be close depending on the motor. If I wouldn't have been able to get the shelby on x-plan the challenger would have been next on my list.

Roger

Food for thought. The Hot Rod that we all talked about had a dyno of the next crate engine from Mopar. A 392 Hemi that showed 562 horses with fuel injection. It also mentioned that the LS7 motor has a bunch of good stuff waiting in the wings from GM's version of FRPP. Its safe to say that while the GT500 has a good lead it will not remain unchallenged for very long. It remains to be seen if FORD can find the corporate guts to keep it out front.

It is available on the shelby. The only exclusion is the ford gt which is an 06 model. You won't be able to get it from a dealer for a while though. That is why I am waiting. But I am assured x-plan per owner who sponsors my mustang club and who I have brought a great deal of business. It will be a while but thats ok because I want to have my mach paid off first.

Roger

X-plan is available per Ford on GT500, but they are not paying the dealer a commission (like they usually do), and it is voluntary participation by the dealers, so I can't imagine a dealer giving up the opportunity to make many thousands more selling their GT500(s) to a non X-plan buyer.

Food for thought. The Hot Rod that we all talked about had a dyno of the next crate engine from Mopar. A 392 Hemi that showed 562 horses with fuel injection.

Allpar ( http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html )had a section on the Challenger engine and one of the possibilities they mentioned was a de-tuned version of the 392 crate engine with 510 hp. I don't know the engine at all, but from the pics I don't think it has forced induction. Nice looking piece of equipment though, with the orange highlights.

Archived