TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT 500 Competition?

RUFDRAFT

On several threads here, the issue of whether or not the C6 is a direct competitor has been discussed.

Well - not really discussed - more like shot down. (Even though C&D ran a comparo piece on them - but what does C&D know? :hysterical: )

I don't think I remember anyone saying the two are competitors. (2 drs - 4 drs, etc)

What I have not read is anyone's opinion on what IS the direct competition for the Shelby.

We all know in a few years, the Challenger and Camaro may be back in the game. But right now, what car(s) are facing up to the Shelby.

What cars do you think Ford considers market challengers?

What other cars will be considered by possible Shelby buyers?

Porsche Boxster(45k) or perhaps the new base Cayman(the S is about 58k) maybe the M3(50k). I have driven a couple of Boxster's, one an S and though the GT500 is a differant car, it can be no more entertaining than the cars I drove. A lot of fun, easy to go fast, and yes I got some serious envy looks. IMHO

Certainly, Ford could not get away with calling a mildly worked over Mustang a "Shelby." In that case it would be nothing more than a badge. But this Shelby I think lives up to its heritage. It shares nothing of importance with it's mortal brothers aside from some sheet metal - it is truely one of a kind, and in that sense the Shelby has no real competitor.

You could compare stats with any number of other cars, but how do you measure the name "Shelby?" You really don't have to do anything more than park the car and keep a rag handy to wipe up the drool from envious onlookers. Park a Shelby next to a Z06, and I gauranty the crowds will gather around the Shelby more so than the Vette. That says more than any 0-60 or 1/4 mile time ever can. So the real question is what other car might elicit the same emotional response, the same instant respect? Maybe a new Yenko Camaro? Perhaps even a Grand National or GNX from Buick (though, I'm not sure how they'd pull that one off given what they have to work with)?

In my opinion, the Shelby's direct competitor doesn't yet exist - emphasis on "yet!"

Jet - a Boxster? It's a 2 seater! Why would that be competition and not the C6?

Cayman? At $58k? That's competition?

Rat - I didn't ask about "measuring" the Shelby logo (which is worth what?).

I asked what car(s) were DIRECT competitiors for the Shelby.

What cars would possible Shelby buyers consider? (Besides the C6 - of course - because the Vette has only 2 seats). :hysterical:

Sorry - I'm just getting a wee bit weary of some folks who refuse to admit that at the Shelby's MSRP, the Vette is, indeed, competiton. :shift:

OK, this is going to be a stretch, so don't trash my thoughts, but when I think of awesome big-power muscle available today, I think of the Mustang GT and GT500, as well as the offerings from AMG and BMW's M5/6. The two German companies have some serious players on the market now, but the price is so terribly prohibitive that they are not direct competitors to the GT500. The SRT-8 offerings from Mopar are entertaining, and close in price to a GT500, but are short in performance. Gotta say I like the new GTO with the 400hp LS2 and 6-speed manual (I owned a 1968 GTO for 9 years), but the exterior styling and gas tank in the trunk leave me cold. I can't think of any other vehicles that I even care about when I flip through the car mags every month.

Sports cars with 2 seats will never find their way into my driveway, no matter how cool or fast they are. It's 4-seats or nothing for me. 35-40 years ago I would have been the guy who wanted a 428 Mustang Mach 1, Torino Cobra, or Buick GS 455 Stage I in place of the AC Cobra or Vette any day (I was born in 1965, so I was just a wee bit too young to buy those cars new).

The real competitors for the GT500 may very well be the other Mustang variants out there (i.e. Roush Stage III, Saleen S281 Supercharged and Extreme, Cervini C-500, even warmed over Mustang GT's). Even a slightly used 03/04 "Terminator" SVT Cobra or 03/04 Mach 1 would be great alternatives to the GT500 for a variety of reasons outside of the actual hp & track #'s.

I read somewhere that there are 1600 models of vehicles available for sale in the USA this year. In 1991 (I did a term paper in college about the auto industry then) there were only about 450, which at the time was astronomical given that in the 1960's there may have been less than half of that. That means there are certainly lots of choices out there, but so few (if any) capture what the GT500 is all about.

Rat - I didn't ask about "measuring" the Shelby logo (which is worth what?).

I asked what car(s) were DIRECT competitiors for the Shelby.

Sorry - I'm just getting a wee bit weary of some folks who refuse to admit that at the Shelby's MSRP, the Vette is, indeed, competiton. :shift:

Well, my point is that on paper many cars compete with the GT500, but in the real world of touch and feel, none compare. The Shelby logo isn't just a sticker, it's a signature underwriting the engineering and spirit of this particular model Mustang. In truth, take away the Shelby blessing, and it's just another blown Mustang not much different, from a performance point of view, than what is already offered by Roush and Saleen.

Case in point: take a classic Shelby - it can fetch $100-$300k. Does it "compete" with Ferarri's in the same price range? No, Ferarri's will spank it all day long. It's all about the name. Take away the "Shelby" and it's worth a tenth of it's value.

This car IS the next generation SVT Cobra. The SHELBY badging and input is simply a very nice addition. 20 years from now we can compare values and ledgendary status...but not until then. In Carroll Shelby's own words: "the car makes the name, not the other way around".

Performance cars are a small niche. As a result, they are ALL going to be compared to one another. One thread on this site even compares the GT500 to the Mitsu Lancer Evolution. Comparing it to the Vette IS a reality.

On several threads here, the issue of whether or not the C6 is a direct competitor has been discussed.

Well - not really discussed - more like shot down. (Even though C&D ran a comparo piece on them - but what does C&D know? :hysterical: )

I don't think I remember anyone saying the two are competitors. (2 drs - 4 drs, etc)

What I have not read is anyone's opinion on what IS the direct competition for the Shelby.

We all know in a few years, the Challenger and Camaro may be back in the game. But right now, what car(s) are facing up to the Shelby.

Ruf....... there is no way around the issue of the 2dr / 2seat / 4seat issue. When a car is designed to hold 4 occupants it is designed with more support, safety and weight to accomedate the 4 occupants. This automatically puts the 2dr/ 4seater at a disadvantge to the 2dr/ 2seater.

If you are going to neglect a variable it might as well be price.

Compare the Shelby to every 2dr/ 4 seater out there at any price. There are not many contenders there on the performance side of the coin. Now there are a slew of econo/ somewhat performance 2dr/ 4 seat cars, but ,can you really compare those? That is one of the things that makes the Mustang/ Shelby special. Its in a class of its own. There are many companies who have tried, and tried to play in the 2 door / 4 seater mucle / performance car class , and have fallen and failed.

I subscribe to the "yet" theory .....everyone is looking at the success of the Mustang, and wanting to duplicate it. Soooo in the coming years there will be lots of direct/ compatible/ comparable competitors for the Mustang/ Shelby, but until then we are enjoying something that is basically in a class of its own.

Again my apologies for miss spells and grammer. Iam great at conversation but I quit writing stuff thoughts / explainations / speeches :soapbox::violin: about 10 years ago soo I have not exercised that part of my English knowledge till now. :victory:

I'm not sure what Ford sees as the comp. but i would guess they started this project with the likes of the GTO and SRT8 in mind and maybe have left a few trick up their sleve for the future when the challenger and others pop up to repsond.

I do know that for me the comp. is what else I am looking at for that 3rd/4th car. I really like the Shelby but I do shop around and look at a few others from time to time to make sure my head is still screwed on straight:

GTO - great bang for the buck especially since you can get them under 30K easy because they are so ugly no one wants them

SRT 8 - I've never actually seen one in real life. I've seen a lot of the Daytona versions etc but just decided if I went that way I'd rather wait for the Challenger

Other Mustangs (Roush, Saleen, Steeda, etc) - these are interesting to me, but I don't seem to find them over all as appealing simply because the Shelby on back does mean something to me as much as I hate to admit it...and 500hp stock good god I love that.

Corvette - I do think of this as a comp. Right or wrong to me it is a comp. If I was a light on a road and this car was next to me and pumped the gas a bit i would bite - it's a comp. I like the vette in many respects but it isn't right for me for a few reasons listed in other strings.

I love old muscle cars and while I like a car that handles good for me the straight line acceloration and raw power is what makes me smile. I care about 0-60 times and quarter mile times and 40-80 times alot more than I do about top speed and track times. I like a car to handle well, but I would give up some of that for the straight line power....infact if this car was a 11 second flat quarter miler and drove like a town car I'd still probably want it.

Sooo....the question of what is the comp. to me is relative to my driving style and uses for the toy...And I can not speak for Ford but I think they had SRT-8 and GTO in mind and maybe hit on a market that has very few direct comp. in it for the time being.

This car is hard to find a direct competitor, but as Five Oh noted, when there are so many makes and models available in today's market, every car doesn't have a direct competitor.

We could have this same debate over what the Mustang GT's direct competitors are these days, in terms of a RWD, 300 HP 4-seater, there aren't really any.

Things were much easier in the days of Mustangs vs. Camaros, etc. I think the best way to look at what is a direct competitor is to ask people what they would spend their money on rather than a GT 500.

For me, as much as I like the C6...I have to have more than a 2 seater. Therefore, if I don't get a GT 500, I'll either spend $27K on a 07 Mustang GT, or go spend 40K on a 2002-2004 BMW M3 or M5. I like the GTO, but just can't get over the bland styling. The problem is if I buy any of these, I would be happy, but would be already trying to figure out what my next ride will be. If I get a GT 500, I can see myself driving it for a long, long time.

Ruf....... there is no way around the issue of the 2dr / 2seat / 4seat issue.

If you are going to neglect a variable it might as well be price.

The price is the absolute last variable that should be excluded...because it is the most important variable when it comes to the alternatives available to consumers. And when we talk about what car competes with what car, we're really talking about what cars individuals are considering buying. It doesn't matter that one person thinks 4 seat v. 2 seat is critical, or that 500hp v. 400hp is critical, or that 2 dr v. 4 dr. is critical, or that the color of the car is critical.

None of that matters because the market will decide which vehicles compete. And it can't be more clear that the vette and GT500 are primary competitors for consumer dollars. It's clear because we've seen it here in this forum...we've seen in on other forums. Folks are considering the vette as an alternative to the GT500. That means its a competitor. Period. Some might think it's dumb to view them as alternatives (competitors)...but it's happening.

And, along those same lines, I'm guessing there are a number of other competitors that many here would argue are not competitors...because they're built in Germany or Japan or some other variable that has nothing to do with the real issue: Are consumers considering car X as an alternative to the GT500?

Maybe it's me that has missed the point here. Could be I'm not getting the meaning of competitor. I'm thinking "Competitor in the marketplace" as in "before I buy a GT500, I'm seriously considering car X."

Maybe we're talking about "competitor" as in logical class-participants at the drag strip? Maybe we're talking about competitor as in logical classes at the race track? Or maybe we're talking "bench racing" competitor where we compare times published in magazines adjusted by how fast we would have driven and then adjust for weight, seats, etc.? In these cases, all the talk about weight, hp, seats, etc., make sense.

So, as I write this, I realize we need to define what we mean by competitor. Otherwise, we're just spinning our wheels with this conversation. On the other hand, I'm just killing time and enjoying myself hanging out here...

Let me say in advance, I know the cars I list below are not direct competitors....but here are 3 cars I was looking at prior to the GT500.

1) Mazda RX8 (underpowered :hysterical: )

2) Ford Mustang GT (underpowered :hysterical:)

3) Nissan 350Z (underpowered :hysterical: )

Probably about the closest "direct" competitor I can think of would be a Pontiac GTO...although still quite different. :shrug:

Dave

Simpler is better. I would use the term 'cross-shopped'. You see this in Autoweek car reviews. It means 'other cars considered' before purchasing the reviewed vehicle.

When I last checked, the most cross-shopped vehicle for the Mustang Cobra (I think in 2001 and in 2004 - the years I happened to check) is the 'Vette. Not for me, actually, because I have never wanted a 'Vette. I think that's a good gauge of 'competition'. We all want the fastest and best and accept certain compromises. At least for now, I need a vehicle with a trunk and fold-down seats to carry stuff. Even if I was interested in a 'Vette, that would eliminate it. Other products such as the GTO and the Charger would probably fit the bill. But, frankly, for what I want right now, the foreign options are not under consideration. At the end of the day, there is no equivalent in Japan, other parts of Asia, or Europe to the 'muscle car' as we Americans know it. Those countries never had that era that we fondly (maybe too fondly) remember.

Opposing points of view respected, but this is an American thing. Just like Blues and Rock and Roll.

Simpler is better. I would use the term 'cross-shopped'. You see this in Autoweek car reviews. It means 'other cars considered' before purchasing the reviewed vehicle.

When I last checked, the most cross-shopped vehicle for the Mustang Cobra (I think in 2001 and in 2004 - the years I happened to check) is the 'Vette. Not for me, actually, because I have never wanted a 'Vette. I think that's a good gauge of 'competition'. We all want the fastest and best and accept certain compromises. At least for now, I need a vehicle with a trunk and fold-down seats to carry stuff. Even if I was interested in a 'Vette, that would eliminate it. Other products such as the GTO and the Charger would probably fit the bill. But, frankly, for what I want right now, the foreign options are not under consideration. At the end of the day, there is no equivalent in Japan, other parts of Asia, or Europe to the 'muscle car' as we Americans know it. Those countries never had that era that we fondly (maybe too fondly) remember.

Opposing points of view respected, but this is an American thing. Just like Blues and Rock and Roll.

In my opinion, you're on it. For you, there is no direct competitor (e.g. "I'd be just as happy (or almost as happy) to own X.") For me, the same. That doesn't mean there aren't competitors out there...just none that I'm very interested in, though maybe for different reasons than you.

One way to determine if car X competes with the GT500: does pricing of car X directly affect the pricing of the GT500? If the answer is "YES", then those products are competitors.

Hmm...17 views - no responses.

Wonder why?

Perhaps this one is tough to answer? :hysterical:

My point.

Ruf - This is getting old. Does it really surprise you that the C6 get's "shot down" in this community? I think you have forgotten what the subject of this board is. It is the Shelby, and at this point we are all running on pure emotion. How can we know what the competition is? The one absolute is that we don't know anything about the Shelby. It hasn't hit the street yet. We don't even know if the cars we have been reading about are actual production cars or mules.

You want to wrap this up once and for all? How? Until we have experience with the car we don't know what its sales competition will be. It might turn out to be a Pinto or a Ferreri, who knows? The question can't be "wrapped up" until we actually see the car, and even then it won't be. As a professor of debate and logic, you should know that logic will never win out in a discussion like this, and debate will rage on forever. As a professor of debate and logic, let me ask you. What do you think the concensus in this forum will be (logically?) In my opinion, it'll be a slam dunk in favor of the Shelby, at least until we get to drive one.

We are all frothing for news, but until we can actually see, touch and drive the Shelby, let's try to avoid turning this into a "Shelby's competion" site. I think, since most have not even seen the car up close let alone driven it, folks may be very uncomfortable putting their opinions down in black and white, which is why you had 17 views and no responses, and may explain why this is a tough question to answer.

By all means, go and drive the C6. You may fall absolutely falling down drunk in love with it. Go drive as many cars as you can before you plunk down your cash. But, as many have said regarding the Shelby, make up your own mind. In the end you will be the one driving the car.

Now, for my final answer on Corvette vs Mustang

When I see a brand spanking new Corvette on the street, my first thought is of the driver, not the car, and the thought is NOT that the guy driving will be modifying the car or spinning a spanner or running down the track on the weekend. It is more like "there goes a guy who needs to elevate himself." When I see a Mustang, I wonder what mods may have been done to the car, and if the car will be at the track on Wednesday night. I think that perception is the biggest difference between the two cars, and the two drivers.

Now at the risk of being flamed off the board, I'm hitting the "Add Reply" button!

Old guy - Sorry if this tread topic is boring.

Since I have a little extra time, I've been trying to come up with interesting threads to take our minds off the waiting game.

Some threads are better than others!

Perhaps I'll take a little time off here and let some others have more fun. :shift:

:sos:

Honestly Ruf, many posts ....... now and in the recent past tells me you're trying to justify your purchase.........maybe you're not 100% happy and perhaps want to bail. If so, do it or you may regret it. Sorry, that's how I read it.

I think its more the fun of debate. Having a forum. Hearing opinions, thoughts and having a discussion.

Both my parents are Greek and I lived in Greece for a few years and i had the chance to study ancient Greece. Those guys loved a great debate. It was so entertaining for them that they actually gather in meeting places to have them (ancient stangs unleashed) my horse is faster than your horse.

Anyway keep up the good work RUF. Gotta fly.

Old guy - Sorry if this tread topic is boring.

Since I have a little extra time, I've been trying to come up with interesting threads to take our minds off the waiting game.

Some threads are better than others!

Perhaps I'll take a little time off here and let some others have more fun. :shift:

Y'know Doc, I like you. You've got a good head on your shoulders. Maybe this will help you make up your mind.

http://images.consumerguide.com/cmsimages/...helby_GT500.wmv

Hmm...17 views - no responses.

Wonder why?

Perhaps this one is tough to answer? :hysterical:

My point.

Not really tough to answer at all - The problem is that nobody makes a Muscle Car to compare the Shelby to yet, Maybe this is why the Shelby is so unique and popular right now.

Muscle Cars and Sports Cars should not be compared together - Their completely different cars with different set ups.

If we all keep comparing the apple to the orange and concentrate hard enough, maybe the orange will turn into the apple or vis versa - Just a Joke, dont get all serious on us now.

:sos:

Honestly Ruf, many posts ....... now and in the recent past tells me you're trying to justify your purchase.........maybe you're not 100% happy and perhaps want to bail. If so, do it or you may regret it. Sorry, that's how I read it.

I agree 100% rufdraft it really boil's down to what you or your wife like not other's don't make this mistake!you will reggret it by choseing on other's opinion drive both see want you really like and want and buy.BEST OF LUCK!! :party:

Not really tough to answer at all - The problem is that nobody makes a Muscle Car to compare the Shelby to yet, Maybe this is why the Shelby is so unique and popular right now.

Muscle Cars and Sports Cars should not be compared together - Their completely different cars with different set ups.

If we all keep comparing the apple to the orange and concentrate hard enough, maybe the orange will turn into the apple or vis versa - Just a Joke, dont get all serious on us now.

He's right.

When the WRX first came out her in 2002, it had NO competitors.

Then the EVO came out in 2003 and waxed the WRX. There weren't really any good competitors for it either.

Then the STI came out basically a year later, and thus the EVO vs. STI match begun.

There were still competitions done in magazines during those first two years, but they were pointless.

Give it time and you'll get your competition.

I view the "competition" a little differently. To me, the competition is not between the GT500 and one or two other cars that have similar characteristics, but a competition between a variety of offerings from a number of manufacturers for my automotive dollars, which are not unlimited. I'll be "Shelling out" about $49k for the new Shelby by the time I pay taxes and a small ADM. For me, a C6 is clearly direct competition for my $49k. As far as value goes, I'm really on the fence with the GT500. $49k is a lot of money for a Mustang. In all likelihood, I could immediately sell the car at a significant profit and use the proceeds to get in line for something else -- like a Z06 or a new Audi S6, or a Caymen, etc. In some respects, the current demand and hype on the GT500 make the Z06, Caymen and the Audi S6 viable competition, even though these are all very different cars. Just my .02.

Rufdraft: Please don't be discouraged from posting new threads. If a viewer doesn't like what's on tv, they can change the channel. Discussions like this are what make this a great forum.

I view the "competition" a little differently. To me, the competition is not between the GT500 and one or two other cars that have similar characteristics, but a competition between a variety of offerings from a number of manufacturers for my automotive dollars, which are not unlimited. I'll be "Shelling out" about $49k for the new Shelby by the time I pay taxes and a small ADM. For me, a C6 is clearly direct competition for my $49k. As far as value goes, I'm really on the fence with the GT500. $49k is a lot of money for a Mustang. In all likelihood, I could immediately sell the car at a significant profit and use the proceeds to get in line for something else -- like a Z06 or a new Audi S6, or a Caymen, etc. In some respects, the current demand and hype on the GT500 make the Z06, Caymen and the Audi S6 viable competition, even though these are all very different cars. Just my .02.

Rufdraft: Please don't be discouraged from posting new threads. If a viewer doesn't like what's on tv, they can change the channel. Discussions like this are what make this a great forum.

You test like a variety of magazines test. However there is a glaring problem with that: Bias. Not racially or nationaly, but in what you want out of a car, ie. comfort, convenience, power, sex appeal, price, mpg, # of seats, color choice, $$$, etc. It's all personal opinions at that point.

Compare a S6 to a Z06 and any performance oriented person will tell you that you're nuts for putting the two in the same sentence.

For me as well as a lot of people on this board (from what I've gathered), we like to push our cars up to and beyond their limits. If you have someone who isn't a proffesional driver giving us his or her personal opinion about a car's comfort level or ride quality or even it's handling characteristics, how can you take that for the truth without even fully trusting that person? I will fully trust a proffesional driver's take on how a vehicle handles. I don't think I'd do the same for every Journalist who may have no certifications to his name and could very well be the slowest person to ever lap in that car.

Right On Chinpono

You hit the nail on the head on your reply to snakeheads comments - Unless Snakehead's writing come out wrong, he bases competition on $ value. Something is really fundamentally wrong with this ?

:banghead:

We all now that until the Challenger and Camaro Z28 come out, there is no car on the market right now that can be placed up against this Shelby as fair competition. The only other car maker out there building and selling a muscle car is Ford (Mustang)

And if there is two things that I can almost guarnatee, besides Taxes & Death

1) Chevy's Camaro will not be a better car than their Vette.

2) Dodges Challenger will not be a better car than their Viper.

So this should tell you a lot about how the Shelby will compare to the Camaro based on the Pre-Production mules that C&D tested agianst the Vette.

"Read between the lines as you choose"

You probably will see more Vette comparisons to the Shelby as Chevy and Dodge underestimated the muscle car market and missed the boat so far.

Food for Thought

All good points, but my main thrust was simply that we haven't seen the car yet. If Ruf, or anybody else for that matter, is going to be swayed by this forum, they need to realize that everything up to this point is conjecture and meaningless until the cars start hitting the showroom floors. There have been several threads on the C6 vs the Shelby and every day it seems another comes along. I don't know what else can be added and there is too much to read on this forum as it is.

And if there is two things that I can almost guarnatee, besides Taxes & Death

1) Chevy's Camaro will not be a better car than their Vette.

2) Dodges Challenger will not be a better car than their Viper.

So this should tell you a lot about how the Shelby will compare to the Camaro based on the Pre-Production mules that C&D tested agianst the Vette.

"Read between the lines as you choose"

Food for Thought

I would add "...than their (then current) Vette..." and "...than their (then current) Viper..."

What's great about this is GM and DC will answer the GT500 with a "direct competitor." "Answers" to the regular Mustang were already in the works. Too much money is on the table, not to mention brand loyalty. And that means they will likely pump things up a bit more on the Vette and Viper...

Ford(and any other manufacturer) directly benchmark any car +/- 15k of 40k on the BMW M3. It is simply the best guage of what is possible. Then they try and find the niche they think they have identified with their particular brand. In our case they traded a lot of things for 500 hp. And thats fine if the market(which has apparantly agreed) buys the car. But comparing this car to the PURPOSE of a vette won't work. One is a sports car, designed and engineered that way, and the other is a SPORTY car with a good dose of sporting flavor added. It may have even been baked in from day one as has been suggested by the promotion of H.T.T. from Mustang platform engineer to head of Advanced product creation.(and maybe SVT although that is another debate). The only direct comparison to this NEWAGE Musclecar we can draw is price. And as far as bang for the buck, the GT500 at or very near MSRP is in a class by itself. Right now. As a new category the followons will benchmark it. And offer their own corporate take on the niche.

Archived