TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spoke with Ford today

robertlane

Do you have an idea when you might be able to table the questions outlined by some of the members to a GT500 team member? Production #s forecast, personalized by Carroll....etc

A guy at the AAI plant was told they will build for every order placed.

A guy at the AAI plant was told they will build for every order placed.

Ah-so. How many pending orders are there? Alot of people must know at this point since production is around the corner. And I doubt SVT is looking the other way as far as forecasting year one revenue is concerned. There can't be 10s of thousands out there since I had to hunt high and low for a stealership to even take a deposit/order back in Aug.

Ah-so. How many pending orders are there? Alot of people must know at this point since production is around the corner. And I doubt SVT is looking the other way as far as forecasting year one revenue is concerned. There can't be 10s of thousands out there since I had to hunt high and low for a stealership to even take a deposit/order back in Aug.

I think that he means that once the order books open in March that Ford will build to meet demand. I still think that 10K a year is an honest figure. Ford must have done its homework to come up with that number. Too few cars and it will have everyone up in arms. Too many cars and the company will lose money. I personally think they will build to meet demand. Otherwise it would have made perfect sense Ford to state a firm production number a long time ago.

I think that he means that once the order books open in March that Ford will build to meet demand. I still think that 10K a year is an honest figure. Ford must have done its homework to come up with that number. Too few cars and it will have everyone up in arms. Too many cars and the company will lose money. I personally think they will build to meet demand. Otherwise it would have made perfect sense Ford to state a firm production number a long time ago.

Hmph. On that note, was it you that couldn't find a stealership........any luck?

I don't follow what you guys are trying to say. "Build to meet demand" There is still a cap on how many Ford/SVT is planning to produce. And even if that number is as high as 10K, then all that means is that the dealers will order all 10K units. I don't think we are going to be able to walk into a dealer and configure and order a GT500. I hope to heck I'm wrong but I'm still preparing for a dealer add on check book dog fight.

Hmph. On that note, was it you that couldn't find a stealership........any luck?

Actually, I found plenty of dealerships that would take my name and even some that would accept a deposit on a car at a markup. Since I was late in wanting to order a car no dealer would commit to sticker. I will not pay over sticker so I have to wait. I'm waiting for the order books to open and see what happens. Those of you who have a contract at sticker, congrats, but I think Ford will build as many cars as they can sell, meaning they will build the meet any order. Think about it, they need to make money and have a product that will sell. I do not believe that they will stick to a limited production run when there is more money to be had.

Just my .02 cents..

• 2 years later...
Here's the problem with pricing. Ford cannot police dealer pricing, nor can they dictate what a dealer can ask/charge for any vehicle. Ford has a suggested retail price (MSRP), but keep in mind that is only a suggestion. Ford sells the vehicle to the dealer for "dealer invoice" less the holdback which is kicked back to cover flooring the vehicle (paying interest to the bank while it sits unsold). Ford has their money (and profit) in hand from the dealer and it is a set amount. Ford could care less how much the dealer, in turn, tries to sell the vehicle for. Some cars are sold at a huge premium, many cars are sold at a loss, and everything in between. This is the nature of a free-market economy and supply vs demand. Ford would be violating its franchise agreements with dealers if they mandated how much a dealer can ask/sell a car for.

If you noticed the Ford Family Plan offer in July-August and the current Ford Simple Plan offer where there is a set price, you'll notice that it is only at participating dealers. Again, this is because the franchise agreements that Ford has with their dealer body prevents Ford from telling the dealers how much they can sell their cars for.

I'm all for the dealers selling every GT500 at MSRP, or lower, so be patient enough and you'll find that deal. Being the first on the block to buy anything new & cool (computers, plasma TV's, Tivo boxes, cool cars, etc.) always means a higher price for the privilage of being first.

When I bought my 2003 Mach 1, I waited until the end of the year when all the hype was fading and prices were falling (and rebates became available). MSRP was just shy of $30K, with many dealers adding $5K to that in the beginning. Because I was patient, I was able to buy my Mach 1 for just $23K.

See that was my whole point. If ford motor company wants to stay in business, they really need to address this problem. The dealerships are suppose to be the face of ford and by taking advantage of customers by charging them over MSRP or what ever ford states the car should sell for, they are hurting the ford motor company. If ford can't see this, they deserve to go bankrupt.

I for one am against the bailout plan that the 3 companies are about to bring back to congress and not because i want to see anyone fail, it's because these companies can't build an affordable product to put on the market, via their dealerships.

Last week i stopped by our local ford dealer (and ford is loosing money my butt.), but they had a 2009 shelby gt500 sitting in the showroom, it was white with red stripes. On the window it showed the MSRP and next to it a piece of paper that had a hand written note "Market Value" $5,000.00 dollars. The total cost on the window came to just a little over $51,000.00. Now, if banks are not lending money, and the big three are in financial trouble, how do they figure a bank is going to lend $5,000.00 over sticker? I am just at a total loss on this one.

But again, i understand how the process works, i just can't believe that ford and the others are finally getting what they deserve and congress is going to give them 25 billion dollars to keep treating people like they do.

doug of insanemustangs.com

Hi Robert,

I agree with JETSOLVER. At the heart of my desire to own this car is its' exclusivity and it's appeal of being instantly recognizable as being separate from the standard Mustang line-up. What makes this particular model and year desirable to me is that it is 40 years since the introduction of the original GT500. What will Ford be doing to signify this? I feel as one of the first customers to financially commit to this car, that we, as well as the 40th anniversary model of the GT500 deserve something special. My fear is that all of the things that visually set this car apart will be stripped and become optional extras leaving a car that will appear not that different from the standard Mustangs. Say it isn't so!!!

KingCobra.

I agree. WE own 2007 40th anniversary cars...were the early adopters...paid the price.. and should have at least a frickin snake emblem that states it's a 40th anniversary car. Shelby was involved with this ha, ha, ...and then comes out with a 40th package months later...why didn't he just include it in the original build since he was the "big man on campus" gave the input on the build of what should be included, but was used instead for Ford's marketing purposes. I love my car and Carroll Shelby but Ford took us to the cleaners. I think we should DEMAND some kind of 40th Emblem at least. Also, when and if Ford goes out of business, who will be honoring our long term warranties? And by the way if they stay in business it will be because of us, the consumer, who will be paying for their bailout...yes that means we get screwed twice. JMHO. I think we're all on the same page with these issues.

Beating a dead horse.....hmmm, you must not watch the news or read the paper then eh? Perhaps it's me, and i misunderstood when i heard rumor of the big 3 automakers asking for another 25 billion dollars to bail them out. Or maybe i misunderstood when the 3 auto execs sat in front of congress and stated that if they aren't bailout, it will put millions of people out of work.

Then in my ignorance, i forgot that the ford motor company and the ford auto dealerships don't work together, they are totally seperate. So if the ford motor company goes bankrupt (my wish), The dealerships will still be okay, as long as they still have their high priced car's sitting on their lots. As we all know, (dead horse included), they aren't one in the same.

I don't have a silver spoon sticking out of my ass and i like millions of others work hard for our money and don't feel like being ripped off by the ford motor company allowing dealers to charge so called fair market values for cars. My children, my grandchildren and myself, shouldn't have to pay a thing to help ford out of their problem that THEY put themselves into. So now they are looking at taking my money for free, instead of earning it by selling a great car at a great price. Sadly, we all know that ford is going to get their hands on our tax dollars next month, and we will be paying to keep these dealership crooks in business. But being this is a dead horse, we should just expect to pay no matter what. That way, the people that did pay "fair market value" plus for their shelby gt500's (have waaaaay to much money), may still have some sort of value in their car's and as long as ford can keep trying to gouge people for this fair market value, these car's may still hold some sort of value.

Just out of curiousity, if anyone can answer this for me, Why in the world did you pay over sticker for a car? They are making over 10,000 of these things every year. You see them in just about every city you go too and all i can assume, is that each one of the owners of these car's paid over sticker. Look at the ford mustang mach 1, they were a 2 year run, about 14,000 total built, but yet you see them everywhere. I currently own one and I will assure you that i did NOT pay fair market value for the car. Ya know, amy b. has done a great job at bringing the hype back to the shelby's, and i applaude her for that. She is an awesome business person and carroll's company's will thrive with her at the reigns, as hot wheels did. But come on, it is just a car.

Doug

Doug (hotwheels),

I can't answer your question about "fair market value" since I didn't pay it. Got mine for sticker. I remember going to the dealer and looking at the last '04 Mach 1 they had sitting there on the lot. They were asking "fair market value" for it and that put it out of reach for me. I agree about the ADM's but you make it sound like this is the only car that ever had an ADM attached to it. Do you remember the Buick Grand National? You couldn't touch that car back in the day. What about the new Challenger? New Camaro? Same 'ol story.....dealers will bleed the potential buyers because of a hot commodity.

Also, this doesn't pertain to cars only. Look at what's happening now in the Firearms industry. You can't find an AR15 or AK47 if your life depended upon it but if you do find one, you'll pay dearly for it.

Same with snow blower sales during a snow storm.

Doug (hotwheels),

I can't answer your question about "fair market value" since I didn't pay it. Got mine for sticker. I remember going to the dealer and looking at the last '04 Mach 1 they had sitting there on the lot. They were asking "fair market value" for it and that put it out of reach for me. I agree about the ADM's but you make it sound like this is the only car that ever had an ADM attached to it. Do you remember the Buick Grand National? You couldn't touch that car back in the day. What about the new Challenger? New Camaro? Same 'ol story.....dealers will bleed the potential buyers because of a hot commodity.

Also, this doesn't pertain to cars only. Look at what's happening now in the Firearms industry. You can't find an AR15 or AK47 if your life depended upon it but if you do find one, you'll pay dearly for it.

Same with snow blower sales during a snow storm.

+1

Just look also at Diamonds .....it made me sick knowing how much mark up on it....the moment you leave the store it drops 50%.

Just out of curiousity, if anyone can answer this for me, Why in the world did you pay over sticker for a car? They are making over 10,000 of these things every year.

Doug

The ones that paid a premium believed the SVT Ford Corp. and the Dealers stating that this car

would be a limited production 2 year run and did not see the economy dropping out of new car sales.............

The ones that paid a premium believed the SVT Ford Corp. and the Dealers stating that this car

would be a limited production 2 year run and did not see the economy dropping out of new car sales.............

This statement has alot of truth to it.

See that was my whole point. If ford motor company wants to stay in business, they really need to address this problem. The dealerships are suppose to be the face of ford and by taking advantage of customers by charging them over MSRP or what ever ford states the car should sell for, they are hurting the ford motor company. If ford can't see this, they deserve to go bankrupt.

I for one am against the bailout plan that the 3 companies are about to bring back to congress and not because i want to see anyone fail, it's because these companies can't build an affordable product to put on the market, via their dealerships.

Last week i stopped by our local ford dealer (and ford is loosing money my butt.), but they had a 2009 shelby gt500 sitting in the showroom, it was white with red stripes. On the window it showed the MSRP and next to it a piece of paper that had a hand written note "Market Value" $5,000.00 dollars. The total cost on the window came to just a little over $51,000.00. Now, if banks are not lending money, and the big three are in financial trouble, how do they figure a bank is going to lend $5,000.00 over sticker? I am just at a total loss on this one.

But again, i understand how the process works, i just can't believe that ford and the others are finally getting what they deserve and congress is going to give them 25 billion dollars to keep treating people like they do.

doug of insanemustangs.com

Hey, Doug, times have changed. GT500's are no longer the cat's meow and supply is greater than demand. Most dealers are selling at MSRP or less nowadays. We have a brand new 09 GT500 here today priced at $2K below MSRP to anyone walking through the door. Your local dealer may be an idiot, but don't assume that all Ford dealers are bad just because your local dealer is asking for money over sticker. Did you try to buy that GT500 and negotiate down to a fair price (at or below MSRP), or did you simply see their asking price and start passing judgements as you ran out the door? Are you just mad because they had the nerve to ask more than MSRP? A serious buyer should have no problem getting your local dealer to negotiate down to a fair price.

Also, it is not only Ford dealers that have asked for ADM's for the latest, greatest new toy. And, it isn't even just domestic auto dealers that are guilty of this. Every brand has had cool new hotrods come to market only to have their dealer bodies add markups above and beyond the Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price.

Lastly, the 3 domestic auto companies are not asking for a "bailout" regardless of how many times the media will use that term. It is a low interest loan that they are asking for and it will be paid back with interest. They are not asking for freebies or charity, just good terms on a big loan.

You are right on that, i do remember reading that in the beginning of the new shelby run.

And five oh b, it is really great to see your openmindedness to what i was talking about, and I do agree with you on the media terms verses what is actually being asked for. I just wish ford would make the dealerships a bit more friendly to consumers when it comes to our cars, not just fords, but all the big autodealers.

Yes i did talk to them about the price and i left a little pissed off. They told me that they are still selling on ebay for up to 10k oversticker and that 5k over sticker was a great price.

Anyways, how come the dealerships just don't make the window sticker read $52,000 dollars instead of showing the suggested and the little piece of paper taped next to it stating "fair market value"? Is it illegal for them to just show the price they are trying to recieve out of the car when the auto company states that this is what we think it's worth? I hope that question makes sense. I don't work in the auto industry so i am not sure how that part works.

Thanks for your time,

doug

You are right on that, i do remember reading that in the beginning of the new shelby run.

And five oh b, it is really great to see your openmindedness to what i was talking about, and I do agree with you on the media terms verses what is actually being asked for. I just wish ford would make the dealerships a bit more friendly to consumers when it comes to our cars, not just fords, but all the big autodealers.

Yes i did talk to them about the price and i left a little pissed off. They told me that they are still selling on ebay for up to 10k oversticker and that 5k over sticker was a great price.

Anyways, how come the dealerships just don't make the window sticker read $52,000 dollars instead of showing the suggested and the little piece of paper taped next to it stating "fair market value"? Is it illegal for them to just show the price they are trying to recieve out of the car when the auto company states that this is what we think it's worth? I hope that question makes sense. I don't work in the auto industry so i am not sure how that part works.

Thanks for your time,

doug

Doug, by law (the Monroney Act) established 50 years ago, the manufacturer of an automobile must affix a VIN specific label on each car for sale with a suggested retail price. This label cannot be altered, hence the reason for "2nd stickers" when a dealership chooses to ask for a different price (whether it is higher or lower than MSRP). Incidentally, the factory window stickers are often referred to as Monroney Labels, for the legislator who drafted the original law decades ago.

The dealership I work for is a "one-price" store, meaning that we post our best price upfront on everything we sell and do NOT negotiate - not even a penny. This forces us to be very competitive on every car well offer for sale. We print "2nd stickers" for each of our vehicles, but those stickers show huge discounts (instead of inflated ADM's that most dealers try to start with).

Ford is very aware that dealer-customer relationships are often fragile. Ford is in the process of weeding out the bad dealers, starting with the "Blue Oval Certification" program which started 6 or 7 years ago which rewarded dealers who treated their customers well (as noted in consumer surveys sent to Ford from customers after purchasing a new Ford). Ford has vowed to close and/or consolidate about 700 dealerships nationwide (bringing the total from 3,777 down to about 3,000 dealers). We've had several dealers closed down within 50 miles of us in the past year who's inventory we purchased from Ford when those dealers were closed for good. Nationwide, dealers are being kept on their toes lest they be shut down by Ford for bad survey scores and/or bad business practices. So, trust me when I say that Ford is moving toward a mutually beneficial goal of improving the dealership experience for customers. As with any large corporation, this kind of change takes time, but the change is happening.

Of the 3 domestic car companies, Ford is doing the best by far in terms of finances, profitability, safety, quality, and new products. I don't even really believe that Ford needs the big loans being asked of the federal government. But, if only GM & Chrysler got the big loans, then Ford would be at a competitive disadvantage in terms of investing in new fuel-efficiency initiatives and other product development. Therefor, if the gov't does not help out the 3 domestics, then I believe GM would file bankruptcy, followed closely by Cerebrus buying out the remaining 19.9% of Chrysler from Mercedes Benz so that they would have full authority to start selling of Chrysler piece by piece to unload, and Ford would continue on with its "Way Forward" plan and eventually be back to a healthy & profitable entity within a couple of years.

Ultimately, America is moving away from adding value to the rest of the world the more and more we give up our manufacturing prowess to foreign enterprises. Manufacturing is what helped our country build wealth & jobs and it should be continued - not shipped overseas. How can we continue to be consumers of the world if we have nothing to sell to the world in return? What is sad is that the financial sector (the task of moving and managing money) has become bigger business than manufacturing. But, moving money around doesn't add value to anything and leaves us with nothing to offer the rest of the world. And, look where it has gotten us to let the financial sector grow so big! It was artificial growth (stocks, homes, investments, 401(k)'s, etc.) and it has come 'round to bite us all in the arse. Making things to sell to others is where the truest way to add value to our economy. Allowing the behemoths that are our domestic auto industry to disappear would have lasting implications for generations to come. I don't like bailouts, and I'm really ticked about the financial giants being "rewarded" for their mistakes on Wall Street and Main Street America, but I'm all for decent loans to the automakers to invest in their (and ultimately our) future to help America return to its manufacturing heyday.

Lastly, the 3 domestic auto companies are not asking for a "bailout" regardless of how many times the media will use that term. It is a low interest loan that they are asking for and it will be paid back with interest. They are not asking for freebies or charity, just good terms on a big loan.

If it is a "cheap loan" that the average American cannot access the same interest rate than

I would consider that "charity"..................Definately a "BAILOUT LOAN"!!!!!!!!!!!!

But if the Greedy Corp. Banking System can get 750"B" without the approval from Tax Payers

than so should the American Auto Industry recieve a Fraction of that amount????????????

• 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, 10 years ago. It's hard to believe I was 43 when I ordered this car.

I still prize this car as if I drove it home last week. I've always rolled my insurance to "comp only" for the winter months but with this winter being as mild as it is there's really no reason I couldn't have got some spirited winter driving in. Oh well, so I anticipate the arrival of spring as I've done every winter since getting my car.

Archived