TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Handguns and Shelbys

RUFDRAFT

Thirty years ago, I would never have given a thought about carrying a handgun in my car.

Today - well - times "are a changin."

How many of you "carry" in your daily drives?

And will you carry in the Shelby? The car might be attractive to jackers.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now, don't get mad, but..........

There is a fundamental difference between our two countries............

That is something that doesn't even exist in Canada,

people walking and driving around with guns, and even

thinking of it. We don't chose not to, it just doesn't occur

to us to even consider it. :shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

KingCobra.

I'm a gun owner and enthusiast, but I don't carry. Too many things to go wrong. If someone puts a gun in my face and wants the car, they can have it. NO car is worth losing your life, or the life of a passenger. If you have a gun, you put yourself in the position of making yourself a much bigger threat to someone, thus making it more likely they are going to try to take your life to better protect themselves. On top of all that:

1) you run the risk of the gun being stolen from your car if it's broken into (and possibly being used against innocent people).

2) police officers do NOT like hearing you have a weapon in the vehicle when you are pulled over for speeding.

3) if you are registered for concealed carry, the police will almost always make you exit your vehicle/hassle you extensively in a traffic stop.

4) you cannot cross a border with a weapon.

Too many negatives. Now if someone were to break into my house in the middle of the night, they'd better act fast or be really quiet, as I am of a very different mind set in a situation like that.

I carry, and have for several decades.

And I have NEVER been hasseled by the police or asked to exit the vehicle when pulled over, for any reason, in any of the 20 states where a CCW reciprocity law is in effect.

Many citizens are missinformed:

1.) A responsible gun owner does not consider a weapon secured in their car. Irrisponsibility in many forms is rampant today, but that is a seperate issue.

2.) I have been told by officers several times that they wished more people would carry.

3.) It is illegal for the police to hassel a law abiding citizen. Doing so would cost an officer their job and open the officer and his/her governing body to legal action.

4.) Crossing borders with weapons is a common practice. There are currently 20 states that have CCW reciprocity laws. In fact I know several legal groups that are trying to find a case where any state that issues a CCW or "May Carry" permit fails to recognize one from another state. This would be like another state failing to recognize a driver's license from another state. And I have crossed into and through Canada and Mexico with firearms, just not pistols.

I own guns...and I keep them in my house. I won't carry one in the car. If someone wants it so badly that I think my life is in jeapordy, then they can have it. As another poster said, coming into my house is a different story.

And times are a changin'...for the better. Unless my memory is incorrect (it's been a while since I took a look at this), across the board, data shows the crime rate has decreased over the past several decades. The change is our perception of the crime rate. And even though I know this, I'm much more paranoid than my parents ever were (e.g. locking doors, my kids being outside unsupervised, etc.).

And I never thought of the car jacking attraction of the GT500.

It probably doesn't help that I've had two cars stolen (from nice neighborhoods) and two cars broken into...

:shrug:

I carry. Not always, but more often than not. I never leave my weapon in the car. At home it is secured as soon as I walk in. Responsible gun ownership was drilled into me at a very early age.

Chances are that I won't carry it often while driving the GT500. It all depends on where I'm headed.

I'm a gun owner and enthusiast, but I don't carry. Too many things to go wrong. If someone puts a gun in my face and wants the car, they can have it. NO car is worth losing your life, or the life of a passenger. If you have a gun, you put yourself in the position of making yourself a much bigger threat to someone, thus making it more likely they are going to try to take your life to better protect themselves. On top of all that:

1) you run the risk of the gun being stolen from your car if it's broken into (and possibly being used against innocent people).

2) police officers do NOT like hearing you have a weapon in the vehicle when you are pulled over for speeding.

3) if you are registered for concealed carry, the police will almost always make you exit your vehicle/hassle you extensively in a traffic stop.

Too many negatives. Now if someone were to break into my house in the middle of the night, they'd better act fast or be really quiet, as I am of a very different mind set in a situation like that.

Amen, brother. Well done.

KingCobra.

I can understand being into guns as a hobby but to even consider carrying one for "safety" in my mind means that you better move ASAP.

I can understand being into guns as a hobby but to even consider carrying one for "safety" in my mind means that you better move ASAP.

Unfortunately in this day and age it could happen anywhere in this great country of ours. As high a profile car as this is going to be I truely hope it gets more attention from the law than the criminal.

We think alike, well said. +1

Thirty years ago, I would never have given a thought about carrying a handgun in my car.

Today - well - times "are a changin."

How many of you "carry" in your daily drives?

And will you carry in the Shelby? The car might be attractive to jackers.

Mr. Ruf, 36 states now issue ccw permits. Most require an eight hour classroom course, and a couple of hours on the range. You'r local gunshop will give you info on this. This would give you the option to carry yourself when necessary.

thanks - the community college where I teach offers the classes.

I don't live in an area where I feel a need to drive armed, thankfully.

When I was hauling gasoline in and around Charlotte back in 1990, a city cop approached me one night while I was unloading. She asked if I carried. I was surprised. I told her I didn't. She said if she were me, she would. So I bought a .357.

Couple of months later, I'm down in Rock Hill SC unloading at a big self-serve station. It's very late.

A very tall "man" comes walking around the front of my tractor with his hand behind his back while he walks toward me.

I instinctively put my hand on the .357 in my belt holster.

He gets maybe 20' away - then brings his hand up to his forehead and starts scratching.

He says. "Hey, man, can you tell me how to get to I-77?"

I never carried the piece again.

And he never knew what could have happened.

Always different views on a subject I guess. I wondered if this one would come up. I can't carry to work due to regulations but I do take one in the car if I'm not going to work. If they want the car, any car, they can have it. I would only fight for my life. I am close to the border here. (NOT Canada either). Car-jacking, drug dealers and illegals running north, home invasions, and gangs are the "normal" thing to encounter. You never know what you will find, even walking up the street. You gotta make a choice early on and out west, it's MUCH different. You're on your own most of the time especailly in rural area's. Last summer, I owned a ski boat and it was 140 miles one way to water over some of the most desolate parts of the state. You gotta have a plan!!

Spoken like a Canadian!!!

Are you???

If anybody has ever seen those documentary films by Micheal Moore,

then you've seen that at least half of this country doesn't even lock the door most of the time.

KingCobra.

I own guns...and I keep them in my house. I won't carry one in the car. If someone wants it so badly that I think my life is in jeapordy, then they can have it. As another poster said, coming into my house is a different story.

And times are a changin'...for the better. Unless my memory is incorrect (it's been a while since I took a look at this), across the board, data shows the crime rate has decreased over the past several decades. The change is our perception of the crime rate. And even though I know this, I'm much more paranoid than my parents ever were (e.g. locking doors, my kids being outside unsupervised, etc.).

And I never thought of the car jacking attraction of the GT500.

It probably doesn't help that I've had two cars stolen (from nice neighborhoods) and two cars broken into...

:shrug:

Not real sure where you are getting your stats from, but as the old saying goes " I would rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it"

I own them, shoot them, enjoy them, and support the right to own them. Carry one in the car? I live in L.A. and jacking was getting rampant there awhile ago, but since it has become a Federal offense with heavy jail time, the act of carjacking has almost disappeared, but when it seemed that it was almost a daily occurance, yes, I carried.

But I don't carry right now unless I'm 4-wheeling in my Bronco out in the middle of the High Desert which is about an hour outside of the L.A. basin near Edwards AFB. You would be surprised at how many creeps you run into when you're out in the boonies, at least in the boonies of Los Angeles County anyway.

Car-Jacking a Shelby or Road Rage in Detriot or Chicago on the Dan Ryan would be enough for me to shoot someone! :rip:

With all due respect, that level of paranoia will get YOU killed before you even get to THINK about hurting anyone else. I live in Chicago; if only 1% of us that drive the Ryan would adopt your mindset it would be mass hysteria and racial upheaval daily. May I ask why you would isolate the Ryan and not some of the less "diverse" area highways like the Stevenson, Ike, Kennedy or Edens?

I have enjoyed your insight and posts on the board up to this point. I really don't want my opinion tainted by such aggressive narrowmindedness.

As a former cop, I find this thread disturbing. The only saving grace thus far is the common message that MOST people who really MAY have a reason to carry a weapon seem to want to do so responsibly. In fact, many wouldn't carry one at all in a car. Unless you have a valid reason (other than paranoia) to carry a concealed weapon in a car....and unless you have been proficiently trained...and unless you are TRULY prepared to take another human's life, you should rethink this strategy.

Just my humble opinion.

:nonono:

bj

Am I the only one who noticed that he asked everyone to post a picture of his wife/girlfriend AND also asked 'who's packin'?' Hmmm.

No, you're not.

:headscratch:

NOOOO!!!!!!!

Don't do it man!!!

I beg of you!!!

Dave.......say you're sorry man, please!!!

For the love of God!!!!!!! :sos::doh::sos:

KingCobra.

I'm sorry (what did I do?). :wacko:

Oh, you mean the OTHER Dave. Oh well, perhaps my apology will suffice. I think I'll change my avatar too.

Dave

Yeah, I carry...but not to protect my car. The statistics show that states that allow CCW have reduced violent crime rates. Don't you find it interesting that in the states that don't allow CCW or severely restrict it, all the politicos have armed bodyguards? Hmmmmm.

Off the soap box now.

KingCobra.

Same thing here. Guns are illegal to carry.

Archived