TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How will you break-in your GT500 ???

:

:

Well, I have to tell you, I have a way I've broken in new motors for as long as I can remember. And although the owners manuals these days seem to have boiled it down to: just don't do constant freeway speeds for the first 400 or 1000 miles, I like the old fashioned methods... so here goes:

0-400 miles: small-roads, no constant speeds (not even at 55), no rpm over 3,500

change oil

400-1000 miles: small-roads and VARYING hiway speeds, no rpm over 4,500

change oil

1000-3000 miles: all roads, all driving, occasional redline (after fully warmed up), but no power shifts

3change oil

3000 on..... :woohoo:

I will stick with the factory mandated 5W50 Full Synth for the GT500, if you can find it anywhere! No one around here has even heard of that grade so may have to order from Ford until generally available.

Red Line Oil makes top quality, if not the best, automotive oils and they are the only ones I know of built off polyol ester basestocks (same as used for jet engines and other high-temp applications), but even redline makes no 5W50 (they make a 5W40 and a 15W50, the latter for diesels). Their oils typically outperform all other synthethetics and far outperform pertroleum-based oils, even racing oils. So what to do???? I guess I'll use the Motorcraft until Red Line produces one. Even if they don't, I'll just use their 15W50 once I've logged 50K miles or so.

ANyhow, thought this might make a good discussion and if anyone finds a source for quality 5W50 synth, let us know.

:rockon:

To properly break in an aircraft engine cylinder you're supposed to run it at full throttle for 1-2 hours. This seats the rings supposedly. Makes sense to me. I don't think babying it makes much sense.

Another thread on this subject linked to an article that advocated several full throttles runs right at first. According to this theory, the high cylinder pressures force the rings into the cylinder wall- smoothing the walls and creating a good seal.

Of course don't overheat the motor while doing this.

To properly break in an aircraft engine cylinder you're supposed to run it at full throttle for 1-2 hours. This seats the rings supposedly. Makes sense to me. I don't think babying it makes much sense.

Another thread on this subject linked to an article that advocated several full throttles runs right at first. According to this theory, the high cylinder pressures force the rings into the cylinder wall- smoothing the walls and creating a good seal.

Of course don't overheat the motor while doing this.

Well, ... that might work too, but did you ever take a careful look at the oil from the first change on a new engine? It's almost like metalic paint if you shine a light in it! I agree it doesn't need to be babied but guess I'd rather play it safe at the beginning. I'll probably have it for the rest of my life ;-)

Thanks for info... I'll try to find that article...

After it's broken in, I think a trip out to Idaho and down to the SW would be a kick: smooth blacktop mountain twisties and flat-out road-gobbling in the breathtaking flat desert scenery.

I sure hope I can get one at MSRP... cause I'm a waitin'

:baby:

Well, ... that might work too, but did you ever take a careful look at the oil from the first change on a new engine? It's almost like metalic paint if you shine a light in it! I agree it doesn't need to be babied but guess I'd rather play it safe at the beginning. I'll probably have it for the rest of my life ;-)

Thanks for info... I'll try to find that article...

After it's broken in, I think a trip out to Idaho and down to the SW would be a kick: smooth blacktop mountain twisties and flat-out road-gobbling in the breathtaking flat desert scenery.

I sure hope I can get one at MSRP... cause I'm a waitin'

:baby:

I am a mechanic by trade I own a few Mustangs. I have allways REDLINE the car

the moment I drove it off the lot. You are correct with your oil chages(MOST IMPORTANT)

but with my experience RUN THE :censored: OUT OF IT!!!!! All mine have held up!

(89 burd-out, never faded away)

Like this.....

Btw, Castrol Syntec has a 5-50. Saw it the other day.

SC2004... well, I might wait a little to redline it, but I appreciate your experience and insight on this.

thanks, Kaylan... that's great news... maybe will just take a while to make it to the shelves everywhere, like when Ford first spec'd 5W20 back in 2001. I do like Castrol Syntec!

GREAT PIC!!!

In support of the redline-it-roght-out-of-the-box school of thought... I do remember that for the '62 406CID big block and the 427s, Ford used to state right in the book: "no break in required" and I do personally know people back in Queens, NY who picked up those cars from the dealer, stopped at the airport for some av gas to mix in and then drove them straight out to NY National Raceway on Friday night! Didn't seem to hurt 'em. (But I wouldn't do that ;-)

Yup, I'll post up a thread and you guys can help yourselves.

very cool Kaylan.. that would be super!

..maybe I'll rent a GT-H* to get my PSDS under control.. not the same but close enough.. and smells new and alll... ;-)

*the Shelby folks say they're about half-way through GT-H production and the first Hertz agencies should now have them available for rent

*Road&Track says $100/day but LeftLaneNews says "$300/day plus $50/day insurance...allowed 100 miles per day, and charged $0.25 per mile over that limit. I'm thinking this is the right price since I remember they rented for $25/day in '66 (I was 18)!

very cool Kaylan.. that would be super!

..maybe I'll rent a GT-H* to get my PSDS under control.. not the same but close enough.. and smells new and alll... ;-)

*the Shelby folks say they're about half-way through GT-H production and the first Hertz agencies should now have them available for rent

*Road&Track says $100/day but LeftLaneNews says "$300/day plus $50/day insurance...allowed 100 miles per day, and charged $0.25 per mile over that limit. I'm thinking this is the right price since I remember they rented for $25/day in '66 (I was 18)!

I'll be in San Francisco in July and I thought I'd look into renting one. 139.00 per day but I don't recall any mileage restrictions. Since it was going to be 600.00 for 4 days all in I opted for the V6 at 30.00 per day with unlimited miles and the fact that within a month of the trip I'll have my own Shelby. :)

I'll be in San Francisco in July and I thought I'd look into renting one. 139.00 per day but I don't recall any mileage restrictions. Since it was going to be 600.00 for 4 days all in I opted for the V6 at 30.00 per day with unlimited miles and the fact that within a month of the trip I'll have my own Shelby. :)

Great, so they're already out in the some locations... I tried a few weks ago to reserve one when I flew into NY, but hadn't come in yet. They probably have a couple now...

:

feeling depressed that I'm waiting on the GT500 'till later... but cheering for you and everyone who'll be driving one this year :cheerleader:

Can't wait to see personal pix as they start shipping...

Casterol, Amsoil, Pennsoil, and Mobile 1 all make synthetic 5w50 oils.

Even though it is not listed on their website, Mobile 1 5w50 DOES exist and is the only current 5w50 that is ACEA A3 rated - good for VW/Porsche engines.

Thanks, Devious... Sounds like it will be fairly easy to get after all... that's good news (it was near impossible getting Ford-spec 5W20 for the '01 Cobra for the first year).

Sounds like Mobil-1 might be the best choice (until Red Line or someone else does a polyol ester based 5W50).

Great, so they're already out in the some locations... I tried a few weks ago to reserve one when I flew into NY, but hadn't come in yet. They probably have a couple now...

:

feeling depressed that I'm waiting on the GT500 'till later... but cheering for you and everyone who'll be driving one this year :cheerleader:

Can't wait to see personal pix as they start shipping...

68fastback did you mean new york becuase i dont think they are renting them from ny if they are can you please let me know thanks :rockon:

68fastback did you mean new york becuase i dont think they are renting them from ny if they are can you please let me know thanks :rockon:

Supposedly all fun family (or something like that) Hertz dealers will get GT-Hs. Apparently that's a program in Hertz and only dealers in that program will get them. I won;t be down in NY again soon, but if I hear anything I'll let ya know.

:

:

Well, I have to tell you, I have a way I've broken in new motors for as long as I can remember. And although the owners manuals these days seem to have boiled it down to: just don't do constant freeway speeds for the first 400 or 1000 miles, I like the old fashioned methods... so here goes:

0-400 miles: small-roads, no constant speeds (not even at 55), no rpm over 3,500

change oil

change oil

1000-3000 miles: all roads, all driving, occasional redline (after fully warmed up), but no power shifts

3change oil

I will stick with the factory mandated 5W50 Full Synth for the GT500, if you can find it anywhere! No one around here has even heard of that grade so may have to order from Ford until generally available.

Red Line Oil makes top quality, if not the best, automotive oils and they are the only ones I know of built off polyol ester basestocks (same as used for jet engines and other high-temp applications), but even redline makes no 5W50 (they make a 5W40 and a 15W50, the latter for diesels). Their oils typically outperform all other synthethetics and far outperform pertroleum-based oils, even racing oils. So what to do???? I guess I'll use the Motorcraft until Red Line produces one. Even if they don't, I'll just use their 15W50 once I've logged 50K miles or so.

ANyhow, thought this might make a good discussion and if anyone finds a source for quality 5W50 synth, let us know.

:

:

change oil

change oil

3change oil

:

:

change oil

change oil

3change oil

DRIVE IT LIKE IT'S STOLEN!

Archived